NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Retro Reveal - Detects Alterations and Changes To Paper/Cardboard

Interesting article on BBC's website today-it appears the Postage Stamp hobby has a detection system that detects skullduggery. To quote: "Image-analysis software, such as Retro Reveal, which can edit the image of a stamp in 50 different ways to expose anything fraudulent, is very widely used across the hobby,"

I would assume something similar, if not this actual program, could be used for cards and paper ephemera after reading this: https://dssumd.wordpress.com/2013/05...-retro-reveal/

Apparently the pricier or more esoteric stuff can be farmed out to forensic experts familiar with the items they are looking at.

Retro Reveal is freeware, it would seem it would have some application to our hobby and help out with the rampant fraud presently occurring.

Here is the full BBC article: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49632306

Last edited by toppcat; 09-19-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for posting that. This sounds interesting.

"Here, forensic experts will use a video spectral comparator - the software used to authenticate banknotes and passports - to compare the optical properties of ink and spot the clues missed by the naked eye."

Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I noticed something disturbing on PSA's sister company PCGS. It's the coin grading equivalent to PSA. They offer coin restoration as a service. I can only wonder if PSA will come out with a similar service. https://www.pcgs.com/restoration

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 09-19-2019, 04:39 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I noticed something disturbing on PSA's sister company PCGS. It's the coin grading equivalent to PSA. They offer coin restoration as a service. I can only wonder if PSA will come out with a similar service. https://www.pcgs.com/restoration
Conflicts of interest are the second American Pastime......
Old 09-19-2019, 10:06 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm no stamp expert, but I assume most have perforated edges that must make trimming detection all that much easier. I wonder how much trimming is an issue.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Stamps are much, much more complicated than that....straight edges, imperfs, reperfs, regummed, postmarks removed, postmarks added, etc. So much has been done to them in the last 100 years it makes the current baseball scandal pale in comparison.

There are paper people, some good, some bad, that are so skilled that you could cut a rare stamp in half, they could put it back together and it would be virtually undectable to the naked eye, although a quick dip in fluid will reveal most modifications.

PCGS has had it issues with slabbed gold coins that were laser enhanced to bump a few points, it took several dealers, experts and law agencies to sort all that out several years ago.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Interesting. I’m guessing it could isolate recoloring on a card. Trimming is another matter...
Old 09-19-2019, 03:46 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
Interesting. I’m guessing it could isolate recoloring on a card. Trimming is another matter...
If only rulers and protractors were available to professional graders.....
Old 09-19-2019, 03:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I suspect it will be good at identifying counterfeits too.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I'm no stamp expert, but I assume most have perforated edges that must make trimming detection all that much easier. I wonder how much trimming is an issue.
Trimming perforated ones so they seem to be ones that were issued without perforations is a problem.

Adding perforations to stamps issued without them is also a problem.

cutting off perforations and adding other perforations to either make it appear to be a less common variety or to make it appear to be centered better for grading is a problem.

Adding or removing cancels, adding or smoothing gum, filling in thin spots, replacing missing parts (with a very wide variety of skill) Painting in details, or scraping off details depending on what's needed to create the rare variety...

plus outright fakes.

All of those have been around since the late 1800's if not earlier.

I'm not sure about all of them, but the stamp expertizers generally charge $35 minimum, with tiers related to catalog value. And they send it back when they're darn good and ready to, none of this "walkthrough" "30 day" "10 day" stuff. Although currently most items will be done in around 5-6 weeks if it's the Philatelic foundation.(In a somewhat ironic twist, expertizers refer to the items submitted as "patients" even though what they do is more of a physical than anything else.)

Here's how they handle altered items.
Despite being the first example of a rare variety to get a certificate - which should have some decent value - I was only charged the minimum.

Last edited by steve B; 09-20-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-20-2019, 01:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Most of what they do is in fact standard practice among dealers. Most of what they remove is stuff that will eventually cause damage.

Unfortunetely the formatting doesn't carry over.

"PCGS Restoration Dos and Don'ts

Submitting a coin for PCGS Restoration in no way guarantees the upgrade of your coin. If the coin is already in a PCGS holder, it is guaranteed not to downgrade, nothing more. Through our restoration service, PCGS is committed to preserving and restoring coins to their original and natural condition.
Toning
PCGS Restoration will not remove original toning simply to make a coin white.
PCGS Restoration will never add toning to a coin.
In cases where PCGS determines that removing toning is necessary and desirable and will not detract from the coin, it may be done. This type of toning may be the result of improper storage, interaction with corrosive materials, or a stain due to an accidental spill.
Surface Contaminants
PCGS Restoration will remove any contaminants that are determined to have been deliberately and artificially applied. Examples include putty, dumdum, grease and other substances known to be used by “coin doctors.”
Restoration will remove contaminants introduced to the coin's surface through improper care or storage. Examples include PVC or Verdigris.
Dirt or debris can often be removed through a gentle rinse.
PCGS Restoration will never add any substance to the surface of a coin.
Spots
Spots on coins can be the result of a variety of causes. Many spots can be removed, yet some cannot be removed without damaging the coin.
PCGS will not attempt to remove a spot unless it is determined that the spot significantly detracts from the coin's overall appearance or is active and will continue to grow.
PCGS will not attempt to restore a spotted coin if that in our opinion, a spot is so deep that removal would lower the coin's overall condition.
Older spots such as old spittle or old thumbprints often cannot be removed without stripping the coin's original surface and will not be attempted.
Newer contaminants such as recent fingerprints can be removed. Also, certain spots due to corrosive interactions can often be removed without impairing the surface.
Metal
PCGS Restoration will never add, remove or alter metal. This includes engaging in well-known “coin doctoring” practices such as smoothing, whizzing, polishing, engraving, etc.
Issues such as scratches, dings, planchet flaws or bending will not be addressed. If it is determined that a coin suffering from one or more of these problems does not have other issues that can be addressed through Restoration, the coin will be returned as is."