NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Kev1n @1les

Default O/T Topps quality issue - what to do?

I am writing the post to talk about a 2019 topps set. Given that the main board is dedicated to cards 100 years older, this might get booted, but I need some advice and I don’t this I get eyeballs in the water cooler or modern card section.

Every year since 2004, I buy both of my my boys the current year baseball and football sets. They say that they enjoy them but they don’t look at them much anymore. My oldest prefers his growing pre war collection and my younger son hasn’t shown a bunch of interest - he just likes that they get them yearly. We used to open the box and sort them together. I now find myself doing it alone otherwise the sets would stay sealed and the binders and sheets would go unused.

On August 12th, I bought this years topps sets from MLBshop.com. I had bought off of there the last couple of years and have not had any issue. On Monday, I went to the local card shop and bought 2 binders and two boxes of ultra pro sheets figuring it was time to get them in binders.

Last night (35 days after purchase), I began the sorting and sheeting process it takes about 2 hours per set. I finished the first one without any issues and decided to go ahead and start on the second one. The process consists of putting in stacks of 100 and then taking those stacks and putting them into 10’s. After getting those stacks sequential, I then put them in the sheets 100 at a time.

By dumb luck, my daughter offered to help. While I was still sorting the second series she was putting into the stacks of 10. She started noting about duplicates. I told her to put them into a separate stack. However when she put them in 1-10 order they were all there through the first series. This didn’t make sense as it is a 700 count box.

As soon as we got to series 2 (starting with card 350), this holes started adding up. All told there were exactly 100 duplicates and 100 cards missing from series 2 (all of the missing cards were from series 2 but duplicate were over both series equally distributed.)

I went to shopmlb.com to call customer service and noticed that there was a 90 day return policy. Since it was now after 10pm, I had to do an online chat. I explained my situation and was told that there was nothing that could be done as this was a direct ship from the manufacturer product and that was only 30 days. I explained that I had just getting around to breaking the seal on the product and I would think that I could take them at their word that the set was complete and therefore not necessary for me to open it the day that I receive it to make sure that the description on the box was accurate

She stood firm but out of the kindness of her heart offered me 10% off of my next purchase. I asked for a supervisor. It was clear that I was dealing with a cost center in a much different time zone. The supervisor held the line as well but he offered 20% off my next purchase - despite my protestations that I wound not be purchasing from them again so the discount off of their crazy marked up product would be unnecessary.

At this point I am at a loss. It makes no sense for me to try to collect the 100 cards one at a time at a show or a shop. I’ll probably be in for what it would cost to buy another set and I wouldn’t have the hassle factor.

I reached out to topps on Twitter DM and gave them pictures as proof as well as the card list. No response.

If I could just explain to someone with a bit of sense they would understand that this was a collation/ QC issue with topps. They would apologize and make it right. Heck if they just wanted to send the 100 cards I’d send the duplicates as I don’t want another 2 hour sort and sheet session.

So, help from the group. Am I supposed to just chalk it up as a sunk cost and go buy another set? Is there a route that you would go that I haven’t thought of?

Thanks for the feedback. This one is pretty frustrating

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by Leon; 09-18-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Eric Bea.chley

I think your second paragraph has clues into what should be done next. The sets have always been for you and not the kids, they aren’t interested. I’ve been there.

So toss the second set and start buying 1 from now on.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Chris Counts

I'd send all the cards back to Topps with a note that if they don't send you a complete set right away, you're going to exclusively collect vintage Pre-Topps cards until the end of time. I can't imagine they'd send the bad set back to you, so they'd either have to send a new set or your money back. It's on them since they didn't deliver what they originally agreed to sell to you.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I would continue to reach out to Topps. I'm sure they could easily make sense of the 100 cards and how it matches their collation process.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 09-18-2019, 11:48 AM

If you paid with a credit card, I would reach out to them. You bought a complete set and you didn't receive a complete set. You should be able to return it and get your money back. Normally your credit card will stand behind you in a case like this.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If you paid with a credit card, I would reach out to them. You bought a complete set and you didn't receive a complete set. You should be able to return it and get your money back. Normally your credit card will stand behind you in a case like this.
Yes, charge back the one set and let the credit card fight for you... That will give Topps or MLB shop some incentive to fix... Should have up to 6 months to chargeback but that is card dependent... Wouldn't wait any longer...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Jonathan Sterling

First I agree with credit card chargeback. But I would make one call to topps customer service. Have the box the set came in in front of you in case they ask for UPC code etc. And explain your case. You bought a Complete set and deserve a Complete set. Topps should understand that and make it right. And the problem is with Topps, they are the ones who manufactured and packed the set. I know it seems way out there but they might do the right thing...worth a call to find out.
J
Old 09-18-2019, 10:42 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Default sets

I have opened up a few Topps sets in my days . Both Baseball & football . I have found out , through the years , that sets have cards missing or damaged or both ? So to me , not hard for me to see these types of problems ? But i'd ask , if you open up any set , is it not just like a hand collected set then ? You get what you get ? After all if it stays sealed, then it counts as a complete set ...correct ?
Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I really do not agree with the statement "just like a hand collated set you get what you get". My Dad and I put together sets mostly with vending cases and resold them for over 25 years. After 1992 when it became harder to purchase vending direct from topps we would often buy bulk hand sets to resell. Along with factory. When we bought bulk sets we would go through the sets to insure they were complete. And if there were any problems I dont recall having any issues when we asked sellers to replace any missing cards. And we always included our business card in case anyone got a double or had any missing cards.
If I buy or sell a "Complete set" I expect it to be complete. Am I behind the collecting times? I hope not..
J
Old 09-19-2019, 04:35 AM
C@rl P@rk

Were the missing cards from series 2? I just ripped a case and can send you some of what you're missing for free.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Were the missing cards from series 2? I just ripped a case and can send you some of what you're missing for free.

Carl,
It was kinda strange. All of the missing cards were from series 2 - but the duplicates were in both series 1 and series 2.

As an update, I never heard back from Topps, but I think I got resolution. My company has a big sponsorship contract with MLB. We do a big deal at the all-star game and my daughter was actually on the field shagging flies during the All Star game in Cleveland last year.

I spoke to the person in our company who runs the MLB contract and she made a phone call (since MLBshop is an arm of their organization). They are sending me a new one and I am sending the old one back. I'm pretty sure that they will put it in a reclamation pile and receive credit from Topps, so all's well that end's well. I still wish that I would have heard back from Topps as it was obvious that it was their error.

I do appreciate the help and feedback. egbeachley's comments hit me right square between the eyes because I know that I have been doing this for me for a few years now - but I always wished that my dad bought me the sets growing up, so I guess I am living vicariously through the boys. Perhaps this was enough of a pain point for it to be the final year.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
Carl,
It was kinda strange. All of the missing cards were from series 2 - but the duplicates were in both series 1 and series 2.

As an update, I never heard back from Topps, but I think I got resolution. My company has a big sponsorship contract with MLB. We do a big deal at the all-star game and my daughter was actually on the field shagging flies during the All Star game in Cleveland last year.

I spoke to the person in our company who runs the MLB contract and she made a phone call (since MLBshop is an arm of their organization). They are sending me a new one and I am sending the old one back. I'm pretty sure that they will put it in a reclamation pile and receive credit from Topps, so all's well that end's well. I still wish that I would have heard back from Topps as it was obvious that it was their error.

I do appreciate the help and feedback. egbeachley's comments hit me right square between the eyes because I know that I have been doing this for me for a few years now - but I always wished that my dad bought me the sets growing up, so I guess I am living vicariously through the boys. Perhaps this was enough of a pain point for it to be the final year.
JMHO You should keep doing it. You never know when they get a little older they might pick it back up. Then they would be very happy that you kept it up for them. Worse case scenario is you spend a few extra $.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:45 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
JMHO You should keep doing it. You never know when they get a little older they might pick it back up. Then they would be very happy that you kept it up for them. Worse case scenario is you spend a few extra $.
Or, if you want to spend less. Wait until 2020 to buy the sealed 2019 set at 1/2 price!
But I agree, keep buying them for your sons. Especially if they like baseball and not just cards. They'll look at them when they are older and be like "yeah, I remember that guy".
Old 09-19-2019, 09:06 AM
C@rl P@rk

Just one more thing to add, the Target online exclusive version has a Chrome rookie variation that is very cool and a nice extra for a pretty solid rookie class.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I'll echo this sentiment. I know my two boys have differing level of interest in cards, although all interests ebb and flow. Now that school is back in session, my oldest suddenly has renewed interest in Pokemon, very likely to a friend of his bringing in a bunch and wanting to trade.
And keep trying to make it a group effort, we've been ripping a box of Topps series 1 every Opening Day and it makes in an event my boys look forward to and enjoy (even if the cards get tossed in a pile and forgotten about until they "rediscover" cards for the umpteenth time).
Old 09-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good stuff keeping the kiddos interested. It is such a different time than when us baby boomers (or gen x's) collected.
The bubble gum with the white sugar powder on it from the packs. How can we ever forget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
I'll echo this sentiment. I know my two boys have differing level of interest in cards, although all interests ebb and flow. Now that school is back in session, my oldest suddenly has renewed interest in Pokemon, very likely to a friend of his bringing in a bunch and wanting to trade.
And keep trying to make it a group effort, we've been ripping a box of Topps series 1 every Opening Day and it makes in an event my boys look forward to and enjoy (even if the cards get tossed in a pile and forgotten about until they "rediscover" cards for the umpteenth time).
Old 09-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Kev1n @1les

I received a package from MLB yesterday. They sent my replacement set and they also threw in 5 hobby boxes. I don’t collect modern stuff but looking at completed sales, it looks like each of the hobby boxes sold for more than the value of the set. I figure I’ll put the boxes on a shelf somewhere and one day if the prospects from this year turn into HOFers there will be some additional value to derive!

More importantly, I am sitting at my table sorting cards tonight to fill up the binder of the other complete set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF6F72E5-9A4A-477F-B238-7F017013038B.jpg (8.7 KB, 130 views)