NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Dizzy Dean Secretarial--Heritage Auctions

I don't have a Heritage account, but someone may want to inform Heritage that the below "Dizzy Dean" (slabbed by PSA) is a fairly common secretarial.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515

DizzyDeanSec-1.JPG

DizzyDeanSec-3.jpg
Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice catch, Chris...

And it realized over $5K!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nice catch, Chris...

Thank you, Mark. Just lucky.

I'm curious who over at PSA authenticated this.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:49 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Hopefully you save someone some money with that. That is pretty blatantly secretarial.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Nice catch, Chris...

I don't have an account....

Is that really what it sold for?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Never understood how this could be such a rarity in light of how Dean literally had twice as long to sign the B&W plaques as he did their gold counterparts. The gold plaque PCs are common and can be had for next to nothing. One hypothesis is that collectors would mail the B&W to Dean and a pre-signed gold version was sent in its place (some signed by Diz himself, others by Pat Dean). Through talking to collectors who received gold plaques in-person from Dean, they were indeed pre-signed, and Mrs. Dean had in fact signed some of those in advance!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-19-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post

They had one go for 20 grand a while back. Also, everyone knows Dean plaques (B&W) are highly collected and as such should not be drone reviewed.

Last edited by jad22; 08-20-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 PM
keith janosky

Nice catch Chris. Even if someone would have contacted Heritage they wouldn't have pulled it in my opinion. Others on here have informed them over the years about questionable items and they never pull any of it. I think they feel they know more than anyone else so they don't like others telling them they are wrong. Especially if it has the famous PSA label on it and I say that sarcasticly
Old 08-20-2019, 02:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Yup... $5,040 to be exact.

Hopefully, the "winner" didn't have to pay sales tax on top of that!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Jonathan Sterling

This is why it it so hard to pull the trigger on big ticket Autographed items. I would love a Ruth but cannot get over the fact that I cannot trust the TPA's to get it right. And despite collecting for almost 5 decades autographs are not my strength. But I have owned a few Dizzy Dean signatures and know the one in the OP is not Dizzy. And I have to believe that someone at Heritage knows it to.
Jonathan Sterling
Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 PM
S Vincent

I've been told they have been made aware of this situation.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Christopher Williams

Thank you guys.

I am sure Heritage will do the right thing.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

The right thing couldn't possibly be offering it as a buy it now because it didnt sell at auction.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
The right thing couldn't possibly be offering it as a buy it now because it didnt sell at auction.

Very disappointing that it is still on their site.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:03 AM
John Tess

Bravo Chris. I was always under the impression that PSA was pretty tight when it came to the sports autographs. I'll tell you something else, I'm delighted that there are a few groups out there, like this one who really cares and has a passion for authenticity. I'd trust you and the rest of you guys before I trust any TPA. Thank you.

Last edited by johnts1; 08-30-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts1 View Post
Bravo Chris. I was always under the impression that PSA was pretty tight when it came to the sports autographs. I'll tell you something else, I'm delighted that there are a few groups out there, like this one who really cares and has a passion for authenticity. I'd trust Chris and the rest of you guys before I trust any TPA. Thank you.
I've always been upfront about the fact that I am a supporter of the TPA's, but I would have thought that at least one of their authenticators would have immediately recognized this as a common sec.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:12 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Maybe this is an older cert? Because if you can't trust the baseball dealers currently at psa with a dean secretarial (their specialty) what can you trust them with anymore? Just heard alot of bad things with them recently. I know some members here know them personally, what's the scoop?

Like Chris I'm a fan of tpa, I want them to succeed not fail. SGC has already folded I want as many (good) options/opinions as possible.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:29 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

It’s just a mistake. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn’t make it any better, but that’s what it is. They don’t seem to overlook things like this when I have sent items to them. In fact, they have declined a number of items that were authentic. That is why it is tough to do business with them. They make easy mistakes like this, yet kick items that are simple and authentic. Yet keep your submission fee.

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 08-31-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:03 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Very disappointing that it is still on their site.
Surprised more people dont think the same thing
Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I referred to the mistake by PSA. Obviously disappointing that HA wouldn’t pull the item when it is blatantly obvious there’s an issue. Although, look at some of the people they have hired.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Christopher Williams

Unfortunately this isn't a "mistake."

Simply put; evidently, no one at PSA had knowledge of this Dizzy Dean sec-signed plaque and that's troublesome.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

How about this one? McNeal was known to be unable to sign for years, so he used a stamp.

Even if somebody at PSA wasn't as versed on NL autos, can't you clearly see it's a stamp???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0095.jpg (73.3 KB, 202 views)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Like a lot of you I have a love-hate relationship with TPA's, but like has said, I want them to succeed. I have invested a ton on money on their certification and when you try to do business in a world based on trust such as the autograph hobby/business is, the TPAs word carries a lot of weight. If there was a total breakdown in the confidence of the buying public of TPA's judgement, then let's face it- our collections would lose most of their value and all that money we spent on certification would have been better spent on something else.

Yes, they make mistakes, and it's unfortunate when they do. Slabbing a rubber stamp autograph is a mistake. And I agree it is frustrating when they fail items you know to be good and you send it to another TPA who slabs it as genuine. I have had that happen many times and it has been costly. TPAs should use better quality control, because they have as much at stake in this as we do. If the buying public loses confidence, then their business suffers. I think the hobby has put too much pressure on TPAs and they have not kept pace. Do you recall what the TPA turn around time on most autograph submissions used to be? And what is it now? There is too much work for them and they have not hired enough people or developed the infrastructure to deal with the volume. And when that happens, something suffers, and I fear it is quality of work. That is reflected in wrong calls and mistakes. I hope that changes.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I understand mistakes. I make plenty of them. Slabbing a rubber stamp is ineptitude.

So is asking me who the signature was on the ball, then putting the hologram on for me. (JSA)

So is rejecting an auto, having someone they've never heard of call them out of the blue -- me -- explaining why it's real, and they say OK, send it back, we'll approve it. (PSA)

The above track record is out of my three (3!) actual interactions with the TPAs.

Ken
Old 09-02-2019, 09:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I understand mistakes. I make plenty of them. Slabbing a rubber stamp is ineptitude.

So is asking me who the signature was on the ball, then putting the hologram on for me. (JSA)

So is rejecting an auto, having someone they've never heard of call them out of the blue -- me -- explaining why it's real, and they say OK, send it back, we'll approve it. (PSA)

The above track record is out of my three (3!) actual interactions with the TPAs.

Ken
Well it could be worse...

You could be relying on PSA for Card grading instead of autographs. At least their current crop of autograph authenticators have exhibited a decent level of competence throughout the years.