NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default Cards that met their demise...

Posted By: Nickinvegas

A few weeks ago I went to a show and purchased an EXMint 62' Mantle and a few other star cards and put them in my shirt pocket. Unfortunataly I forgot to take them out and my wife who would sooner die then have something out of place took the shirt straight to the washing machine. I explained to her how this card managed to stay in great shape for over 40 years and spent only 40 minutes in our house and it was mangled.

This got me thinking of other cards that have met their demise in my hands. I take great care in handling my cards, but a few events have been out of my hands. Here is a short list of the victims:

CARD Cause of Death
T206 Cy Young(hand shows) Teething(1st child)
1958 Orland Cepeda(was NM+) Dinged corner placing in holder
1956 Clemente(ExMNT) Wind gust while photographing outside
1984 Fleer Matingly(Mint) Dropped and dinged corner

I am sure I am responsible for a few more...

Nick

Old 04-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t-206collector

That's a surprising string of irresponsible card handling you got there. I too have been vexed by irony behind lightly knicking a card's corner while trying to preserve it in a toploader. The only really bad gaffe I ever really had, however, involved a Frank Thomas 1990 Leaf Rookie in a screwdown holder, when it was worth about $75.00. A friend of the family came over and their 5 year old son wanted to see my card collection, which again, at the time, was more modern and less vintage. I opened up the cabinet where the Thomas was sitting and without my being able to get a word out, the kid raked his hands over my entire collection and flung the Thomas across the room. Upon hitting the floor, the card slipped halfway out of the screwdown holder and damaged a corner. I was so angry, but I had to be polite to the kid and his family.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

Las year I went to visit my girlfriend who lives about 1/2 block from Wrigley Field. Sometime between the beginning and end of a Cubs/Reds game someone broke into my car and stole a T205 Tris Speaker and a shirt(?). They left a very valuable stereo system, but went for a card i had hidden (or so I thought) in a piece of cardboard under the floor mat. I was reminded why I am a Cards fan who views Wrigley field as a giant urinal again that day..

Old 04-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Elsass

Well, hate to bring up ex-wife stories but... I will first premise this message with saying that she did NOT get what I had in my safe deposit boxes (all of my Vintage cards), Thank God she was never on the access list to get to them! However, the down side to this story is that I did lose my entire "home" collection while on a Submarine deployment back in 1989. She decided that 3 months was just too long to wait for her husband to come home, so she decided to leave. She sold all of my cards for a couple hundred bucks to some card shop in Charleston, SC for her U-haul money. What I lost, besides a great dog, complete baseball sets from 1963 to 1975, complete football sets from 1969 to 1975 and a few other tough sets plus tons and tons of rookies and stars from that era.

I have never really gotten back in to collecting those years of cards because it makes me miss my dog so damn much.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BillyB

LOL!

Old 05-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

with my stupidity...

It was the first 19th century photo I ever had...I decided to open it on the bus. Go figure. I jerked a string to hard. "Oh dear--i hope i didn't dent it," I thought. I didn't; I tore it completely in two.

A very nice east coast photo restorer fixed it for me for $300, but we agreed that no new materials should be used except glue, so the tear still shows--besides i wouldn't want to fake an old photo back into great condition.

I almost wish someone HAD stolen it!