NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Default Anyone help identify this? Today's Estate Find

I found this at an estate sale today and cannot find any additional information about it - Does anyone have any idea on it? Any information would be appreciated - unsure what I intend to do with it yet...The 2nd picture is on the inside of the lid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Box1.jpg (70.0 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg box2.jpg (71.9 KB, 366 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nothin' comes up on Google, and nary a mention in Mark Cooper's Book.

Must be rare

Last edited by perezfan; 02-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

My guess is some sort of pseudo-gambling device/game.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Jonathan Sterling

MY thought is that it is a box that held punch boards based on inside lid. I have a few tucked away I will look and see if any have this name. JMHO

Regards
Jonathan
Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 PM

Ramer's was a manufacturer of chocolate confections. In all our years of researching baseball games, we've never seen hide nor hair
nor even any mention of a tabletop game or handheld game associated with Ramer's, although one of the many "5 cents a play"
punchboard-type gambling games that don't name a specific product or manufacturer is certainly a possibility.
It might also be possible that the candy bar itself was actually named "Baseball Game," just so they could use the tag-line
"Everybody enjoys a Baseball Game."

We've seen an example of this wooden crate before; the text that's been torn off the label inside the lid of your case reads:
Ramer's BASEBALL GAME
40 Bars in this box are FREE
for advertising.

Here's a current auction for a Ramer's candy box:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7014946

and here are two old ones:
http://bid.showtimeauctions.com/Rame...Sign_i11127956
http://www.ebay.com/itm/c1920s-Ramer...p2047675.l2557
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 02-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I did see RAMERS show up on a large internet list of baseball games. It said ti was from the 20s. I also read an article somewhere online that leads me to believe that they sent this display box full of chocolate candy bars to PROMOTE their baseball game..... This seems to make some sense - but even if the chocolate bar was called BASEBALL GAME that would make sense too!!!!!

I figured it was a tabletop game, or punchboard game when I bought it - then looked under the lid and was confused again

I thought it was cool - i saw that wood baseball game box buried on a wagon at an auction and instantly was praying for a very very early parlor baseball game in wood crate, but either way this is pretty cool and an unexpected find for the day

Last edited by bwild22; 02-24-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 PM

That was probably our list you saw, and we should delete that entry from it until there's any real evidence that an actual game existed.
It appears we were a little careless, or overeager, or both, in including both verified and unverified games from our records on our on-line list.
We don't want to be in the business of perpetuating baseless rumors...

We also don't wish to be remiss in saying that no matter what the box contained or offered, it is indeed a very cool artifact!
By the way, although punchboards aren't quite squarely in our wheelhouse, we do catalogue them, and a cursory search of our records
turns up a few baseball-themed boards made from the 1920s through the 1940s offering candy bars as winning payouts for a 5-cent play.
Most punchboards pay off in money, cigars, or some nebulous quantity of "points" or "in trade," and of those offering candy bars as prizes,
several are specific to brand (Schrafft's, Ideal, &c'). The 5-cents-a-play boards paying out in unspecified candy bars, however, could,
maybe, might, possibly, be associated with the Ramer's game/offer. The pertinent punchboard manufacturers include W H Brady,
Charles Brewer & Sons, Harlich, and Fergussom.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 02-24-2014 at 05:34 PM.