NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 AM
Dustin

Default My Introduction.

Hey guys and gals of the community,

I'd like to introduce myself to the community.

I have always been in love with the hobby, more specifically the baseball card collecting hobby, but I have just recently grown very fond of the Vintage aspect of collecting. Something about vintage screams history to me, and I enjoy learning any and everything about our beloved past-time. Ever since I was a kid, the two cards I always wanted (the one's that caused me to fall in love with this hobby) was the 89 UD Griffey Jr RC and the 92 Bowman Mike Piazza RC. Even though I am a New York Yankee fan, I loved Mike Piazza and wanted to be like him when I grew up. I used to collect HOF RC's and autographed HOF inscriptions, however I had to sell my collection a few years back to pay for some books for college. I left the hobby as wasn't so sure I would ever return.

However, it is my interest in vintage and the history that comes with it that has brought me back to the hobby. I was overjoyed to find this website and I would like to thank Mr.Lucky for letting me sign up and join this wonderful forum. I look forward to building a lasting friendship with everyone on here and I look forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here. Please be patient with me if I ask dumb questions or anything like that.

My specific interest is in the T206 baseball set on the baseball side of collecting. I also enjoy the 1948 Bowman baseball set.

Thank you for your time,

Dustin.

Last edited by Mountaineer; 01-06-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 AM
John Spano

Welcome Dustin!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:53 AM
Derek Granger

Welcome aboard Dustin. Nice to hear of some young(er) whipper snappers joining the forum. This is the BEST place to learn more about vintage baseball cards and memorabilia.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 AM
Chris P.

Welcome Yellow Jacket!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 AM

Default Dustin.....

Welcome aboard! great choice with piazza! I'm a yankee fan also, but loved collecting piazza back in the day....I have the 1992 bowman set..also, I have a huge Griffey jr. collection....I pulled an '89 Griffey ud out of a pack on my b day ...still remember...still have the cards...I have a few '89 ud sets also..I used to collect "new" stuff years ago.....I crossed over and collect T206 exclusively....I'm 43 and have been collecting bb all my life(except the rebellious teen years)...

T206 are the way to go.....email me or pm me any questions you may have....pick up a beater or 2 from ebay to get your feet wet

ps

you will love it here! warning- becomes very addicting

Peace

Johnny
Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 AM

Welcome aboard, Dustin. Are you also from West Virginia? I'm a native (the one-stoplight town of Petersburg) now living on Long Island in New York. Marshall grad. Enjoy the forum. Best regards.
Rob
Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Bill Gregory

A very warm welcome aboard, Dustin. I look forward to seeing your collection grow, and having many interesting discussions with you over the coming years.

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Welcome.
I feel a common bond with you. I collected while in high school, but had to stop during college and dental school and while I built my practice and paid off debt. The only things I got were in person items , gifts or cheap items I could afford while saving. In a way that made it fun.
I then began collecting in earnest again after about 5 years post-graduation from dental school.
Best wishes to you for med school, and remember this hobby will still be here when you graduate, and when you can begin collecting to your heart's (or wallet's) content.
Good Luck
Old 07-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Welcome to the site, Dustin.

I, too, have had to sell off my collection to pay debts...that may not be as uncommon as you think. As a matter of fact, I have done it on more than one occasion.

Your interest in the T206 will find a wellspring of knowledge and assistance from the board members.

Happy Collecting!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsguy1969 View Post
Welcome aboard, Dustin. Are you also from West Virginia? I'm a native (the one-stoplight town of Petersburg) now living on Long Island in New York. Marshall grad. Enjoy the forum. Best regards.
Rob
I am raised a country boy, lol.

Marshall is one of the medical schools I will be applying to. Spent a summer there doing research. Very nice school and lovely folks.

Thanks for the welcome Rob.

Last edited by Mountaineer; 01-06-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myachelydra View Post
Welcome Dustin!
Thank you John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Welcome aboard Dustin. Nice to hear of some young(er) whipper snappers joining the forum. This is the BEST place to learn more about vintage baseball cards and memorabilia.
Thank you Derek. I absolutely love this place. I've been lurking here for a few weeks or so. I tried to post but had to do a password reset for some reason. Glad to be a part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by veleno45 View Post
Welcome Yellow Jacket!
Yep. Yellow Jacket for life!! Home of HOF'er Earl Lloyd. Thanks for the welcome Chris.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
89 UD Griffey Jr RC
I was 9 years old when that card came around. I wanted one so bad but I never did get one.

Thanks for bringing back that memory. I think I'm going to ebay right now and buying one.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Good luck with MONSTER. The best advice I can give you is stay focused and don't get discouraged. It is a marathon not a sprint.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
A very warm welcome aboard, Dustin. I look forward to seeing your collection grow, and having many interesting discussions with you over the coming years.

Bill
Thank you Bill for the warm welcome. I am one who always has questions so I will be sure to ask them and discuss topics in the hobby with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Welcome.
I feel a common bond with you. I collected while in high school, but had to stop during college and dental school and while I built my practice and paid off debt. The only things I got were in person items , gifts or cheap items I could afford while saving. In a way that made it fun.
I then began collecting in earnest again after about 5 years post-graduation from dental school.
Best wishes to you for med school, and remember this hobby will still be here when you graduate, and when you can begin collecting to your heart's (or wallet's) content.
Good Luck
It definitely sucks having to sell your collection. I didn't have a lot of stuff or even rare stuff, but I had spent over $600 bucks for my collection so I was kind of proud of what I had put together. I sold all my stuff for cash and silver coins, then I turned around and sold the silver coins for cash and bought my books.

Thank you Kevin for the best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Welcome to the site, Dustin.

I, too, have had to sell off my collection to pay debts...that may not be as uncommon as you think. As a matter of fact, I have done it on more than one occasion.

Your interest in the T206 will find a wellspring of knowledge and assistance from the board members.

Happy Collecting!
Thank you for the warm welcome Raymond. It definitely sucked having to sell it off, but in a way it has refocused my collecting this time around and into the vintage side of things and I also made enough money for my books. Kind of a catch-22 situation but it had to be done.

I love the history of the T206 set as well as other vintage such as E-90, 48 Bowman, 33 Goudey, and the Cracker Jack sets.... Those listed are the ones I am the most eager to collect and learn about.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
I was 9 years old when that card came around. I wanted one so bad but I never did get one.

Thanks for bringing back that memory. I think I'm going to ebay right now and buying one.
I was just born so I grew up loving it and wanting to have one. Here in the next year or so I will buy me a BGS 9.5 copy of it. It is such a beautiful card and was at a time when collecting was simple. I am glad I was able to give you back a good memory Zach.

Happy collecting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
Good luck with MONSTER. The best advice I can give you is stay focused and don't get discouraged. It is a marathon not a sprint.
Thank you David for the advice and welcome. It may be a little bit before I buy my first T206 card, but I am eagerly awaiting to see which one it will be. I hope to one day have a son and collect the monster with him so I'm definitely looking down the road on collecting it.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post

This Griffey is the very first graded card I ever bought once I returned to the hobby, and learned there was such a thing called graded cards.

I have a half a mind to buy a BGS 9.5 example of Griffey before he's elected into the Hall. I still think he has one of the most beautiful swings I've ever seen. And, I think he achieved his greatness with a combination of natural ability, a lot of hard work..and nothing else.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
Welcome aboard! great choice with piazza! I'm a yankee fan also, but loved collecting piazza back in the day....I have the 1992 bowman set..also, I have a huge Griffey jr. collection....I pulled an '89 Griffey ud out of a pack on my b day ...still remember...still have the cards...I have a few '89 ud sets also..I used to collect "new" stuff years ago.....I crossed over and collect T206 exclusively....I'm 43 and have been collecting bb all my life(except the rebellious teen years)...

T206 are the way to go.....email me or pm me any questions you may have....pick up a beater or 2 from ebay to get your feet wet
ps
you will love it here! warning- becomes very addicting
Peace

Johnny
The Griffey Jr RC was always out of reach for me. During the time it was at its peak, was when I was just a kid. I used to love looking at the monthly Beckett and see its picture on top of the card hot list. Griffey Jr was just an awesome player anyway.

As for Piazza, my first glove was a Mike Piazza's name-inscribed catcher's mit from Rawlings. I cherished that thing with my life. I still have it put away in the closet and it is the only glove I have kept over the years. I played catcher and always wanted to be like Piazza.

As for collecting, I am done with the "new" stuff for now. It just doesn't have the same meaning for me anymore like it used to. It really has no history or story behind it like vintage does. The T206 will be a journey and an addiction I am sure. I just know to prepare for the long and windy journey ahead of me.

Thank you for your awesome welcome and hospitality Johnny. I will be sure to get a hold of you soon sir!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

This Griffey is the very first graded card I ever bought once I returned to the hobby, and learned there was such a thing called graded cards.

I have a half a mind to buy a BGS 9.5 example of Griffey before he's elected into the Hall. I still think he has one of the most beautiful swings I've ever seen. And, I think he achieved his greatness with a combination of natural ability, a lot of hard work..and nothing else.
Such a beautiful and simple card and design!! I'm glad I am not the only one thinking of grabbing a BGS 9.5 soon. I'm sure the price will increase once he hits the HOF.

As for his swing, it is beautiful. Didn't involve that much power and looked flawless. If he had a harder work ethic and was able to stay healthy, there is no doubt in my mind he would have the home run record and possibly go down as the best center fielder of all-time.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Thank you Bill for the warm welcome. I am one who always has questions so I will be sure to ask them and discuss topics in the hobby with you.
Dustin, I'm always happy to help, so if you have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a message. I have a bit of an odd sleep schedule, so it might be later in the evening before I get a chance to respond. But I will.

And don't worry about asking dumb questions. The forum search function and Google are two great resources. If I have a question now, I typically search both (net54baseball + whatever my question is on Google), and if I can't find the question has been asked, I'll fire away. The members of this forum are some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever met.

And as I like to say, always remember that even the most advanced collector had to start at the beginning. We've all been where you are now.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Jumbo Griffey

I've always favored the Jumbo Griffey RC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3218.jpg (72.1 KB, 113 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Dustin....

here for you! your making a great choice.....pm or email me anytime....I literally am addicted to them.....chk out the ghost thread again if you haven't already......this board has the most knowledgeable collectors anywhwere..

Frank!

WOW!
I love it!! I have an 82 sheet w ripken rookie, but its folded and some damage on ripken....what should I do?? one of my favorite pieces...my mom bought it for me at a mall base ball card show in 82!....

love your taste
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Dustin

Very nice piece Frank!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Welcome to this great community!

I like you dreamed to one day own a 1989 UD Griffey. As a kid I had a Griffey and Jordan shrine in my room. The one card I could never get was that UD card. I got back into the hobby 2 years ago and that card was the first card I purchased. PSA 9 for $40...my times have changed.

I'm originally from Cincinnati so Griffey especially had an impact on me. He grew up in Cincy and I use to play on the same baseball diamonds that he did in his youth. The stories of him playing on those fields were legendary. For example, he apparently hit a ball well over the diamond, over a group of trees, and into the local swimming pool. That's over 500 ft! On a good day I could graze the lower tree trunk with a ball.

Years later when he played for the Reds, I was a waiter at a P.F. Chang's in Cincinnati. That restaurant was a popular hangout for Bengals and Reds players and one day Griffey showed up and I got to wait at his table. Made my summer . Although I wish the guy would not have ordered so many chicken lettuce wraps...there's a reason he was getting "hefty" towards the end of his career.

Good luck with the T206 collection. I too, collect T206. It's a highly addicting set...definitely the gateway drug to collecting vintage.

Best,
Ben

P.S.
Check out the 1989 Bowman Tiffany Ken Griffey Sr. Card. The photo features both father and son and it's truly a beautiful card...probably the most underrated card of '89. And it sells for maybe $30 in a PSA 10.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 07-15-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

welcome, nice to see a fellow BO member come aboard
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
It really has no history or story behind it like vintage does.
Bingo!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Welcome!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM
D0NN1E B

Welcome Dustin. It's great to have another West Virginia guy here. I was born and raised in Welch, not too far from Logan Co.
I have only been here a short time myself but I really enjoy the forums and having so many veteran collectors to help out with questions. I have been studying the T206 set almost non stop recently and have acquired a few cards on here and on EBay. Love the little abused raw 206s because you can hold them and wonder about their history.
It's addicting.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Welcome Dustin. It's great to have another West Virginia guy here. I was born and raised in Welch, not too far from Logan Co.
I have only been here a short time myself but I really enjoy the forums and having so many veteran collectors to help out with questions. I have been studying the T206 set almost non stop recently and have acquired a few cards on here and on EBay. Love the little abused raw 206s because you can hold them and wonder about their history.
It's addicting.
Thanks for the welcome Donnie! It is very addicting. I've spent all day trying to learn about some of the errors in the T206 set. If you ever come back to WV, let me know and maybe we can catch a WV Power minor league game or something.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Welcome aboard Dustin. T206s are fun set to collect I think you will enjoy them and might even find some other pre-war sets along the way you like.

Cheers,

John
Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Dustin

Thank you John for the welcome. I have been looking at the E90 series and it looks very historic and nice to me.

BTW, I absolutely love your cards that you posted but the one card that stood out to me and caught my eye was the Ginger Beaumont. That red background and excellent condition of the card just makes it stand out against the rest of them.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Welcome!
Thank you for the welcome Adam!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome Donnie! It is very addicting. I've spent all day trying to learn about some of the errors in the T206 set. If you ever come back to WV, let me know and maybe we can catch a WV Power minor league game or something.
Will do dustin, sounds like fun. :-)

Last edited by Mountaineer1999; 07-15-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thank you John for the welcome. I have been looking at the E90 series and it looks very historic and nice to me.

Welcome to our forum Dustin. The E90-1 is a classic set. If I were a set collector it is certainly one I would consider. It's got some great looking cards, HOF'ers, scarcities etc.... Whichever way you go, enjoy it. (T206 and '48 Bowman are great). Personally, I like to collect type cards and would always recommend it for anyone that isn't necessarily a "completeness" person as much as someone who likes the ultimate in variety (everything ) ....good luck and happy collecting...see ya' round here..