NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Default New Addition to the Scrap family Circus

Hello All!

Thanks to a fellow board member and friend for the new addition to my circus of Scraps....This Chance looks better in person....background is orange, and altho the borders are "tight" for scrap, it's 100 % the real deal...
btw.....the back damage and paper addition/loss does not affect the front in anyway...thought it was a "tweener" scrap at first, until I held it in hand!....sick card I am stoked

Attached Images
File Type: jpg chancescrapper.jpg (72.7 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg chancescrapback.jpg (50.2 KB, 555 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Luke Lyon

What makes you so sure it's scrap? Just looks like a trimmed card that missed a color pass to me (but you obviously know this stuff better than me).
Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Default Ah....

Great question Luke! sometimes these can be very tricky....I actually had to see it in hand at first....you see, scrap have a different "look" and appearance/feel to them, especially in hand/person.....a dead give away to scrap "on the border line" is fatter than standard borders, to dead identify a true scrap huge, hand cut borders....altho this card has the "trimmed" tighter border, it has the hand cut characteristic of "tight" trimmed up scrap....

this part. card is missing 2 or more color passes(buff, magenta, grey)....which was a deal sealer for me.......the orangy background and "wave" cut was a dead ringer....sick card
Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Back

Excess paper or paper loss ???
Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM

Default both....

little bit of this....little bit o that
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Clayton

Congrats Johnny V.!! Always nice to see you find a new card. It looks to me to be missing a couple of tones/colors.Good eye

Keep hunting my friend!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Congrats Johnny! It's nice living vicariously through your scrap finds!!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Johnny,

I am very concerned about the health of your collection. The number of sick cards in your infirmary is staggering. Is recovery possible or are they all doomed?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Scrap men rule!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Chris

What a piece of scrap!

Who knew this phrase would someday be a compliment . . .
Old 06-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Daniel R.

anyone care to inform me of what exactly a "scrap" card is?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Sean Costello

A scrap card is a card that, perhaps due to a printing flaw, was intended to be thrown away rather than distributed. They were taken home by the printers, who cut them by hand and gave them to their kids.
In the T206 set, all Brown Old Mill and all Blank backs are scrap. Also, many of the cards that are missing colors are scrap, including (I believe) a Wagner and two Planks.
Johhny has made a career of collecting such cards, and can explain this better than I can.
If you are interested, go to ebay and type in "T206 yellow." Dan McKee (a board member) has a huge set of missing color scraps that you can look at. Also, at T206Resource.Com there is a good article by Scott Forrest (another board member) on this subject.

Last edited by Sean; 06-25-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Andy Garden

The ringmaster strikes again! A fine addition to the circus!

Best,

Andy
Old 06-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drazz5 View Post
anyone care to inform me of what exactly a "scrap" card is?
Congrats Johnny!! Love your enthusiasm.....

Drazz- Here is a thread and if you check out post 42 you will see an amazing recreation of a scrap T206....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181116
Old 06-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
johnny,

i am very concerned about the health of your collection. The number of sick cards in your infirmary is staggering. Is recovery possible or are they all doomed?
lol
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Default To all who commented...

This sounds a little" korny", but the members here actually make my cards what they are......the members who commented here are true blue collectors who I deeply appreciate....I'm going to have to say, that without this board, I'm not really sure if I would enjoy my cards as much....to be a part of this community makes me proud and proud to collect my cards....I just wanted to thank you all for all the great comments about me and my collection...I am actually humbled by you all, and thank you from the bottom of my heart......Leon, has created something with this community very special, and again, I am proud to be a part of it, respectfully....

Andy, you "coined" my collection....I love THAT term....Peter, your not a huge fan of T206, but always commented kindly on me and my collection.....Leon, you always appreciate my enthusiasm....Steve, Clayton, Adam, Chris, Turner, Sean, Frank and all the rest, without your help, my collection would be nothing what it is....thanks to this community of help

Peace my friends....
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Congrats Johnny!! Love your enthusiasm.....

Drazz- Here is a thread and if you check out post 42 you will see an amazing recreation of a scrap T206....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181116
Leon's card is the ultimate "scrap." Here are a couple that I own:

scan0051.jpg

Only the card on the left is a scrap;
Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Sean Costello

One more:

scan0038.jpg
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 PM

Default Sean....

I can't get enough of those.....owning that Plank must be INSANE! I want the Wagner ghost/scrap sooooooooooo bad....but I'd take the Wagner strip
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
pete ullman

there was a small window of time maybe 8-10 yrs ago when the wagner strip could be had for a "Reasonable" sum...that window has long been locked shut!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 PM

Default Pete.....

so sad, so true!! I love that Damn strip
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Tony N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

I can't get enough of those.....owning that Plank must be INSANE! I want the Wagner ghost/scrap sooooooooooo bad....but I'd take the Wagner strip
Johnny,

Do you have a pic of the Wagner ghost scrap? I don't ever recall seeing a pic of that card.

Great scrap addition by the way!

Tony
Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
This sounds a little" korny", but the members here actually make my cards what they are......the members who commented here are true blue collectors who I deeply appreciate....I'm going to have to say, that without this board, I'm not really sure if I would enjoy my cards as much....to be a part of this community makes me proud and proud to collect my cards....I just wanted to thank you all for all the great comments about me and my collection...I am actually humbled by you all, and thank you from the bottom of my heart......Leon, has created something with this community very special, and again, I am proud to be a part of it, respectfully....

Andy, you "coined" my collection....I love THAT term....Peter, your not a huge fan of T206, but always commented kindly on me and my collection.....Leon, you always appreciate my enthusiasm....Steve, Clayton, Adam, Chris, Turner, Sean, Frank and all the rest, without your help, my collection would be nothing what it is....thanks to this community of help

Peace my friends....
What, I get no mention in your post?

I owe you a call back. Nice Chance card!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by e107collector View Post
Johnny,

Do you have a pic of the Wagner ghost scrap? I don't ever recall seeing a pic of that card.

Great scrap addition by the way!

Tony
I don't think that it's a ghost, but it seems to be a scrap. It is #19 in the T206Resource.com Wagner Gallery.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 AM
Sean Costello

Johhny, you've got me thinking- what is the most valuable T206 scrap card? I came up with the following:

1- Wagner scrap
2- White (Albino) Plank
3- Light Blue Plank missing color
4- Leon's massively overstruck Dom Mullaney
5- Jeff Lichtman's split-level Cobb Green

And if we expand the definition of scrap to include proof cards, then the Wagner proof strip and the Eddie Collins proof would also be at the top of the list.

But the value of most of these cards comes more from the player- Wagner, Plank, Cobb- than from the fact that they're scrap. The exception is the Mullaney, whose value is derived solely from it's being scrap. So I guess Leon's card is the leading scrap card in the set. IMHO.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 AM

Default Sean....

Mike! of course you r the man! couldn't have my cards without you!
Thanks about Chance...looks great in person, similar to my Grimshaw BB..
Had to pry it from my friend not cheap

Tony and Sean.....there is a 100 % scrap wagner out there with a 100 % magenta ghost on the front( I believe Mitchell ghost).....Chris b can post the scan for me....i'll look at #19 on the resource to see if that's the one....I want it so bad!!!!! so bad!!!, id give up my whole collection for it! btw....the merritt/ Crawford ghost in Goodwin was almost mine last year, had the deal done until someone smashed it on me, so close! would have went sick w my bender ghost it so mad about that one.....anyway....

Sean...

Proofs are in another league(altho Scrap....they are so cool/rare/ design phase cards, they need their own category...)

I'm going to think about this for a while......then give my opinion.....some pre lim thoughts id say :

Proof category:

1) wagner strip
2)Collins Proof
3)Matty proof
4) 8 unlisted Southern leaguers(Keith O's)
5) design change/ type 1 proofs

Scraps:
1) wag scrap/ghost
2) any pied 150 wag(scrap inmho)
3)2 plank scraps(ur s included u lucky bastard)
4) any plank pied 150(scrap inmho)
5) a free for all of dramatic/freaky deaky scrap- leons young/brown om multi will take this slot for now....

that's the beauty.....new ones get "discovered occasionally"....and could snag # 5 any time...

# 6 # 7 ect can be a free for all with some beauties! I own a few I believe..

I know my bender/lake would be in the top 10 along with my chance cycle overprint no name and maybe my bob hall or the kruger twins

brain multi strike/ cards like the ones I just mentioned, will be set icons over the years I predict! thank GOD I jumped on board when I did

I d love to hear opinions about these scrap rankings! great topic SEAN

Last edited by mrvster; 06-25-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:46 AM
Sean Costello

Leon's card brings another question to mind. I always heard that T206s were printed in New York, then shipped to the different factories , where the backs were printed. Leon's card was printed with a Piedmont 350 back and an Old Mill back, both of which were printed at Factory 25.
But it also includes an EPDG back, and those were printed at Factory 17. I'm assuming that all these backs were printed at the same time, so were all these backs printed together even though they have different factory numbers? Both Factories 25 and 17 are in the 2nd district, Virginia. And if they weren't printed at the same place, does that mean that the card was shipped to a couple factories to be used for a practice print run?
I think we need someone like Ted to explain this.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

All I can say is I am just glad I got it when I did And not to feather my own nest, and of course we are biased towards our own cards, but the Matty Proof is the only HOF'er issued proof known, as far as I am aware (though there are probably others) so it might be above a no name or other issued type T206 proof (minus a wags or plank)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt206mullaneycomplete.jpg (75.0 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-25-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Sean Costello

Johhny, great call on those multi-strike backs. That is one thing that my set is missing. I wish I had one, but for the prices they're selling at now I'll have to do without.

By the way Johhny, if you want to see a great ghost card, Scott has one for sale on ebay. Search T206 ghost Wiltse to find it. I really like it, but it's a bit out of my price range.

Last edited by Sean; 06-25-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Sean Costello

[QUOTE=Leon;1291126]All I can say is I am just glad I got it when I did And not to feather my own nest, and of course we are biased towards our own cards, but the Matty Proof is the only HOF'er issued proof known, as far as I am aware (though there are probably others) so it might be above a no name or other issued type T206 proof (minus a wags or plank)

Leon, as proofs go that Matty White Cap should rank right behind the Wagner strip and Collins proof.

Last edited by Sean; 06-25-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Leon's card brings another question to mind. I always heard that T206s were printed in New York, then shipped to the different factories , where the backs were printed. Leon's card was printed with a Piedmont 350 back and an Old Mill back, both of which were printed at Factory 25.
But it also includes an EPDG back, and those were printed at Factory 17. I'm assuming that all these backs were printed at the same time, so were all these backs printed together even though they have different factory numbers? Both Factories 25 and 17 are in the 2nd district, Virginia. And if they weren't printed at the same place, does that mean that the card was shipped to a couple factories to be used for a practice print run?
I think we need someone like Ted to explain this.
The factory numbers aren't the printing factory. They're the cigarette/tobacco factory the product was distributed from. That was required by law to be on any pack insert sort of premium. ALC in NY didn't have any ID on cards that I know of. They may have had some copyright or printing notice on some cigar box labels.

Steve B
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Sean Costello

Thanks Steve. That does clear up my misconception about the factory numbers.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Archive

Nice card Johnny!

Jantz
Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
A scrap card is a card that, perhaps due to a printing flaw, was intended to be thrown away rather than distributed. They were taken home by the printers, who cut them by hand and gave them to their kids.
In the T206 set, all Brown Old Mill and all Blank backs are scrap. Also, many of the cards that are missing colors are scrap, including (I believe) a Wagner and two Planks.
Johhny has made a career of collecting such cards, and can explain this better than I can.
If you are interested, go to ebay and type in "T206 error." Dan McKee (a board member) has a huge set of missing color scraps that you can look at. Also, at T206Resource.Com there is a good article by Scott Forrest (another board member) on this subject.
Awesome! thanks ill have to look into it
Old 06-25-2014, 02:31 PM

Default Leon.....

OMG! I posted this morning half asleep! Your Matty Proof is one of my all time fav cards(next to your multi strike!)....I don't believe your being "bias" to your cards, THEY ARE INSANE! and deserve the high ranking on my SCRAPS list...I was literally half asleep when I typed that..I LOVE THE MATTY PROOF..When I was driving to work, I thought I had the Matty down as 3rd on my list sorry my friend, that card has a "life" of it's own.......besides Collins and Wags strip, it's the only other HOFER proof that I know of.....btw....WHERE did the remaining 80 or so other proofs go???? I may start a thread about this.....I have been pondering this for years....I know collectors sucked them up in the 70's, but how come very few have surfaced????hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....things that make you go hmmmmmmmm......

I will think about rankings/scraps some more(this is so neat to me)...

Daniel, YOU will love scraps....they are like "snowflakes" and many are unique unto themselves, extremely rare and ....even the similar ones are different than each other.....email me whenever you want....i'll show you my "circus" as Andy G coined it

Jantz....Chance is hanging out with Starr....call me my friend.....

Old 06-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Default Ah T206 scraps......

I feel "scrap drunk" LOL

I just looked on the T206RESOURCE.com

AND YES! Sean....#19 is the WAGNER GHOSTED scrap....1000 % scrap....1000 % ghosted....I can not figure out the upside down player tho....I know Tim Cathy, Chris Browne Erick Summers are some of the TOP guys that could decipher the uppy ghost on that WAGNER beauty that I dream of......
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM

When the owner of the Wagner scrap purchased it I examined it and compared it to his set and finally found the player it matched(upside down of course). And of course now the player has eluded me. The ghost is easier to see in person. Next time I meet up with him I'll have to take another look.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Im going with.....

Mcintyre brooklyn

That would be sick!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Sean Costello

I'm bumping this thread to show my newest scrap.

And Johnny, if you want to trade me that Street scrap for this one, just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0011.jpg (75.7 KB, 89 views)