NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default the new board is being scrapped for the time being

Posted By: leon

For the time being we are scrapping the new board. We will come back to this one so the whining as***** will shut their pie holes. We will devise another plan and then I will probably leave this one open so the whiners will have a place to congregate while we talk about vintage cards on a new site. I hope the whiners are happy!!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Ouch sorry Leon short of the speed issue I thought the new board was kind of cool. It had some neat features etc. that I thought could come in handy...

Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

John - I agree - I hope the intention is to move again once all the issues get resolved.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

Yeah other than the occasional loading issue it seemed like a huge improvement.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Agreed. Like the new site, appreciate all the effort that went into creating it and moving the data, and look forward to using it.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I agree the move should still be made...and this forum should be locked down. The Luddites can go back to their rotary dial telephones if they wish to communicate.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Now I feel bad, since I am one of the Luddites. If I may speak on behalf of our forlorn group, I thought the high tech look of the new site was kind of cool, but I also knew it was unlikely I would use too many of the features. Like I said, I enjoy to read what other collectors have to say and respond when I think I have something to add. But even on the old board my interaction was never any greater than that. Doesn't mean I liked it any less than the next guy. Some love to drive a Maserati but I'm equally happy in my Honda.

Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

With all the time and effort put in to the new board by a few here, it's pretty irritating to have seen all the complaining and the "I'm not going" crap that has gone on. You really have two options, go to a new board if and when ready, or don't....and find somewhere else to go. What good is complaining on here going to do? Either that, or you're always welcome to start hosting your own forum right on Net54....I just think it was pretty classless by a select few.

Administrator

Posted By: leon

Not sure what the next plan of action is. I will get with Brian, Dan, Matt and Mike and devise another plan. We might go to a new board, leave this one open for the people that are crying, and the other 640 of us can be happy. So if you don't like a new one you can keep your happy ass here....For the immediate future we will be back here. Sorry for the inconvenience. I am going to do my volunteering at the Salvation Army...Ya'll have fun....

Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Agree with Dan.
Lock this old **** hole and take whatever time is needed to restore the new forum.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Barry-

The issue is the new board is a "honda". It's no different than any other forums out there today. Net54 is just running on a forum edition from 1996...not 2009.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I'm just happy to have a board to look at period, but I still liked the new one better.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Dave- I was doing fine on the new board and even stopped looking at the old one. If the slowness issue was resolved I would have been perfectly happy sticking with it. But I still would have primarily read threads of interest and posted when I could. I'm not sure I would have used all those new features. I am 56 and with limited computer knowledge. Most of the people on this board are in their 20's and 30's. I will gladly go with whatever board we ultimately end up with.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

I enjoyed the new board and hope it is up again soon. Guess some people really don't like Change.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Barry I'm with you. BBL time for my nap.

Steve

Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Barry-

56 isn't exactly one foot in the grave either I don't think. I just think with the time the guys were putting in trying to get the new one going, I can certainly see where it would be aggravating having to read people posting how much the thing sucked and they didn't want to go. Then you have Crandell wanting to start a thread here with his swan song...I think it was just a bit too much.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Rivera

for the record-I am all for new board but I need to log in to it to post

Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: josh

The other board was a lot better than this one. It is mind blowing to me that people would rather stay with this format. The only problem was it was a lot slower but I am sure it was being worked out. It is a shame because most of the popular boards use the one Net54 was going to be on.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

Wow! The relatively short time I've been here I've never seen Leon lose his cool like that. Can't say I blame him. Nice to see a little fire because you're not going to keep everybody happy all the time.

I for one am glad this move is being made, people need to be a little patient. I've yet to run across a forum that has made a perfectly smooth transition from one format to another when it was needed................and in every case, it was needed.

IMO in the short time the new forum was open it was infinitely easier to use then the present one. Of course the slowness will drive you batty but I'm sure it's a problem which will eventually be solved.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Dixon

I didn't get a chance to really get into the features of the new board because I was just sort of waiting for the issues to be worked out, so I don't have an opinion there. But the thing is, I don't deserve an opinion! All I do is read, learn, and occasionally post a comment. I don't put any money or time into running this board. I didn't move all of those posts over from the old board to the new. I don't have to monitor the content of all the posts. I just get on when I feel like it. It's other people who put all of the work in, yet it benifits all of us. I wouldn't enjoy collecting cards nearly as much if it wasn't for this forum. So I think it really sucks that anyone would complain about the functionality of the board, because if you're not one of the guyus that put the work in, you don't have the right to complain. If you don't agree with me...I challenge you to a cagefight!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Dave- like I said I will go with any board we ultimately end up with. I have already apologized to Leon for posting that I liked the old board more. I did not realize everything that was going on when I posted. But again, people like what they like. If I prefer simplicity I am neither right nor wrong. There were likewise problems with this board, especially with the lack of tech backup, but if we never made the change and continued here I would have been fine. I don't think there is anything more I can add to this discussion.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Barry-

I wasn't implying you were really one of the offenders. I think the only comment I saw from you was just a bit ago today on this board after the other one crashed...there were others who just kept on and kept on...sorry if it sounded like I was hounding you over it.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Hang in there, Leon.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Sorry for all the guys who put the work into the new board--I'm sure it will work for you.

For guys like Barry and Corey and me who liked the old board best we get to experience it a while longer....

Cheers.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Earlier today I posted how much faster the new board was today. I just went to the new board a few minutes ago and I can't log in. Now, I see we are staying here for awhile, sorry to hear that, I was just getting used to it.

Joe
edited for spelling.

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Actually Robert I think Barry has every right to voice his opinion. While he may not have put any work into moving to the new site, over the years he has provided a lot of important content. Content that requires a lot of work to provide. Content that was so valuable that it was all moved over to the new site. If it was just the best software that made this site, people would have moved on long ago. It is the content that makes the site and the people like Barry and Leon who provide it.

If I could get good information on a rotary phone, I would buy a rotary phone. If I could get good information on an ipod I would get an ipod. People are all talking about how wonderful the REA catalog is and it is in book form of all things.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Waaaa, waaaaa, waaaaa <----- Whiney as*****<br>

I'm going to die laughing if it all boils down to something stupid like people just closing the browser instead of logging out of the web page...

Leon - keep the board running and work the bugs out. We can use this board as the main board until all the kinks are ironed out. I don't mind bouncing between boards. I figure if the other board loads slow it will be the secondary board. After you get it running full speed then I'll know that by how fast the site loads and how fast I can navigate through it.

Until then Leon, DON'T pull out all your hair trying to please us. We are but your humble servants. Now give us some cake and shut up! happy.gif

EDITED TO ADD - I want, no I DEMAND that for every message I post here you increment the POST counter on the new board so I get credit for my ALL of my posts! happy.gif Leon, put the gun down and don't try to find me, I'm going into hiding... did you notice the smiley faces? Did you?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I liked the new board and think you should do a 2nd launch once the kinks are figured out. I tried for 3 days to register there and never was able to post.

The new board is better but it's best to push everyone there when it's working properly or else you'll face the wrath of the Mob.

Edited to say - I haven't gotten the e-mail to confirm my registration and I've used both of my e-mail addresses up at this point. It keeps me logged in while my browser is open but once I log out it doesn't recognize my username or password (because I haven't been able to confirm via e-mail) but it does remember my 2 e-mail addresses. So I'm pretty much out of luck unless I try a 3rd address which I don't have until the kinks get worked out.

Leon.. keep pushing people there. There are kinks to be worked out but I can survive just reading for a week or so. I hate not being able to see the BST boards though.

Close this board. Please.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Shut this board down, and get the new one going (exclusively). I guarantee that those saying they will not participate on the new board will participate. It will be impossible for them to stay away. Don't even waste a moment getting upset and second guessing the decision.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I just went back to the new board and it loaded quickly. I also noticed something that states:

"Leon has disabled reputation"

What does that mean?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator

"The REA auction is in a book form of all things".

Am I that out of touch. I buy in a lot of auctions and always use the catalogue. Mile High, Memory Lane, Mastro, REA, Andy Madec all put out books?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...that these are all growing pains and that the new Board will satisfy most of the concerns of the old guard, while providing new amenities that will gracefully carry us into the 21st century of message boards.

It is disappointing how this has all played out in the short term, but the long-term growth and prosperity of this Board will be better served I believe.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visithttp://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Douglas D

Another vote for the new board. Thoroughly enjoying it. Once the speed is fixed, it'll be great. Tried three times to respond to this thread, and got an internal error on the first two.

Stick with it, Leon! You're doing good things.

Doug

Edited for spelling.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Agreed that the new site is the way to go. Time to move on.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator

-----------------------------
Jim Crandell wrote: "For guys like Barry and Corey and me who liked the old board best we get to experience it a while longer....Cheers."

-----------------------------

Ummmm.....That may be the stupidest thing you've ever written in this forum and that includes not knowing that "Mongoloid" is an offensive term.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

I know, those internal errors are a big pain. There are problems here too.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Sorry Dan,

It was clear a lot of us liked the old board--

I'm sympathetic--I hope y'all get it worked out as many people put a lot of work into it--especially Leon.

Most people like the new board--majority rules.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

We get it Jim...you're the squeaky wheel. Congratulations.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

But I loved many of the bells and whistles of the new board;

Sometimes change is needed; sometimes change is not needed. I understand to some extent all the different issues but I'm sure Leon has made a common sense decision to stay here for now. I hope we can move to a new home soon; for I hate getting that message -- the forum owner has not allowed you to see this thread.

Rich

Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I like this board better, but I'm like that when I'm comfy with something. However, I was willing to give the new one a chance & work with it. Leon, hang in there, & hope you feel better soon!!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joyce

are these cards tuffer than the fatima team cards ,would love some input thanks joyce

Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Cline - RC

Wow! I didn't think I was away that long, tried to long in to the new board (which I believe will work great if given time) and thought I had forgotten my password.

Leon and the rest, thanks for all the hard work on the new site. Most here are great people, even when we disagree, and I truly believe everyone here could learn to use the new site with minimal effort and a positive attitude.

I wasn't even looking at this site anymore, just took a chance that something was up.

Good luck!

RC

Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Everyone needs to calm down. The fact is, the new board is not working well. Until it's fixed there is no point in using it. After all, one doesn't use a board like this simply because of the bells and whistles -- it's the content that matters only. When the new board is up to speed, literally, it will be a better place to be than this board. There is no question on this issue, that is a fact. But until that happens, there is no point in using a board that frustrates its members so much due to an eminently fixable issue. Similarly, short of the speed issue, there is no logical complaint to be made about the new board.

And of course everyone appreciates the hard work and time Leon, et al. put into the new board. When it's ready for us to come over, which won't be long, it will be a better forum than what we have here. So what's the big deal to keep this one open until the other one is ready?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

This must be PSA's fault.

Steve

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

Whichever way we end up going, thank you to Leon and the others working on the new site.

I hope that everyone keeps in mind the amount of time and effort that has been put into developing the new site before they rush to judgement on whether they like it or not.

-Alan

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator

I haven't read every thread on the new board or this one, so maybe I missed something. But I didn't see a whole lot of whining. I sure hope I'm not one of the offenders. I mentioned in passing that it was a "royal pain in the ass" to post images to the new board without having your own website. But I certainly meant no offense and appreciate all the hard work that Leon and his helpers have put into the board, without pay.

If people have been attacking Leon or complaining that he isn't doing a good enough job bringing the new board on line, that's a real shame. Every time I log onto the board, I am stunned that anyone would take all the time and effort that Leon puts into this forum just so that it can exist. Last I heard, he has a full time job. I still don't know how he does it.

I'm with the group that's happy to have either forum up and running. Like Barry, I won't use the high tech stuff too much, but if others like it, that's great. As the great statesman Rodney King once said: "Can't we all just get along?"

Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Paul, you don't need your own website to post photos on the new board. There will be (and was) plenty of help to make sure people know how to post images on the new board. IMO it was just as easy if not simpler to post images on the new forum.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

"royal pain in the ass" to post images to the new board without having your own website"

Are you sure about that? Or do you mean you need a host site?

If so, then photobucket is free and will do the trick.

If a person needs there own website then I don't see too many people

posting pics. I thought ease in hosting pics was one of the reasons

the board was moving?

I too commend Leon and his helpers for all that they did.

I might have opened the new board with a few people first to test it.

But that is neither here nor there now.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Jeff, is this a new you, the voice of reason? happy.gif

Old 04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Geez, I wasn't even trying to go back to the issue of posting images to the new site.

Yes, by "your own website," I meant something like Photobucket. Like Barry, I'm too incompetent to try to figure out how to use that. One of the other board members was kind enough to include a post of how to upload pictures to the new board in the same way (I guess) that you would upload them to Photobucket or a similar service. It was complicated, at least by my standards, and much more complicated than this old board with its convenient "insert object" button.

But again, I'm not complaining. Just the opposite. I'm criticizing anyone who is giving Leon a hard time. I'm sure Leon will eventually get around to making it easier to post images, or someone will explain to me an easier way, or I'll just live with it.