NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2023, 10:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Unsolicited PM's Offering Consignment Services

I have had a few PMs recently of a new member, but lets say it's any member, soliciting personal consignments in PMs. I am sort of neutral on it, but just want to get others opinions. As far as I know, he hasn't harassed anyone other than sending a normal pm.

And a card...Mack smoking a stogey?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mack.jpg (171.0 KB, 426 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 10:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Spliff...Connie was cool.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Drew W@i$e

Not so much on here, but it is rampant on other social media sites, especially when you list a high dollar card for sale.

I am neutral as well. Where you trying to sell something? Or was this just out of the blue?
Old 01-19-2023, 11:02 AM
Pete Sycks

I had a guy with 0 posts telling me to call a 919 number and his buddy will sell me cards. Didn't seem shady at all.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-19-2023, 11:02 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I think a post, rather than (who knows how many?) PMs would be more appropriate.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-19-2023, 11:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I had a guy with 0 posts telling me to call a 919 number and his buddy will sell me cards. Didn't seem shady at all.
That is definitely scammy and shady. This, being discussed, isn't that.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:08 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I'm assuming the user sending these pms is the same one who has made a few posts about his own consignment business?

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 01-19-2023, 11:18 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I got a consignment email. Not a brand new member, but only around for 2 years or so and a handful of posts. I'm neutral on it as well. Easy enough to just ignore and not really much different to me than a random person asking if I had something to sell that they were looking for. I would just caution folks to do their own due diligence and know who you are dealing with.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-19-2023, 11:21 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
919 is MY area code!!! I can promise it wasn't me however.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:33 AM
Bob C.

I don't know about you or others Leon, but I already get enough unsolicited crap phone calls, emails, junk mail, and so on that I didn't ask for and don't want. I also typically refuse and immediately get off any of those sites that have one of those "You have to agree to let us put cookies on your phone/system or otherwise track and share your info to use this site." popups or agreements you have to allow to then be able to access and use such sites as well. I also know there are enough involuntary ways that companies, advertisers, and governments already track and follow us, many I would often think are illegal as hell as well, but because of the money and power behind them, we don't have a choice. Therefore, when I do have a choice, it is NO!!!!!!

And I know also there are various individual members on Net54 who own, run, or are otherwise involved in AHs, consignors or other companies/entities serving the hobby community, and don't hide that. But at least to me, that is perfectly fine as they also come on here to share information and interact with other members of the Net54 community, not just looking for free advertising or the ability to make unsolicited offers to other members.

Also, don't you have advertisers that already pay for the privilege to advertise their consignment services (among other things) on this site? Assuming so, that seems really unfair to them that others could take advantage of the site to freely make direct and unsolicited advances towards members. Having members come on Net54 to ask opinions of other members about which AH. consignment, and other hobby service providers they recommend, is one thing, and is perfectly fine and part of what this site is all about, at least it is to me. But then having one of those providers possibly monitoring what others are talking about here on Net54 solely to push their business and make unsolicited offers to other members, is not at all acceptable IMO.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:42 AM
Scott Russell

I don't think I'm over-the-top. But I do send unsolicited PM's as I think (know) a number of auctions do.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-19-2023, 03:42 PM
Al

I'm really careful about it, but I do it. I try and not be spammy about it, and I try not to harp on it, and really don't just blindly reach out to people unless there's a specific thing I think LOTG could do a good job with.

BTW we are currently accepting consignments for our spring auction.

-Al
Old 01-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I also do it

Been, I like to think a pretty active member here and do much more than selectively solicit private consignments, both publicly and privately (PM).

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:51 PM
Luke Lyon

Like most things, it's a gray area. I'm sure Al's messages are few and respectful, and I'm sure there are other people who overdo it. There is always someone who can't read the room and ruins it for the people who are respectful.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:05 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Like most things, it's a gray area. I'm sure Al's messages are few and respectful, and I'm sure there are other people who overdo it. There is always someone who can't read the room and ruins it for the people who are respectful.
+1
I have no problem receiving a PM from reputable longtime members like Scott, Al, Howard, etc. it's just a communication among our tight knit community, much like me asking a member if they want to sell a card.

BTW, Al I have some E98's to send you for Spring Auction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-19-2023, 07:17 PM
Eric Perry

Here are my two cents, having gotten a few of these PMs throughout the years:

I don't mind when it's a frequent contributor to the board and/or a paid Net54 advertiser. There are plenty of great auction houses whose principals are on here regularly.

If someone tried to solicit consignments solely through PMs, though, that would be a bit shady. I haven't had that particular experience; however, I'd probably react poorly to their approach.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-19-2023, 07:28 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If your good the people/consignments will come naturally to you.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:28 PM

I don’t have an issue with it. Really, it’s not much different than sending an unsolicited offer to buy a card - it’s up to the recipient how to respond. That said, if it becomes harassment, then that’s a different story.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
919 is MY area code!!! I can promise it wasn't me however.
Robert we thought it was you.

You fit the profile
1. Same area code
2. Low post count
3, newer member only a few years

Either that or your being framed

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-19-2023, 07:44 PM
Bob C.

Howard, Scott, Al, and anyone else who's a long-time contributing site member that is also involved in an AH or in the industry otherwise, I am not saying anything negative about any of you at all. Quite the contrary, and if that was misunderstood by anyone, my apologies. You guys all look like you're jumping in to defend yourselves after my post, which you absolutely do not have anything to defend yourselves from, nor was it ever my intention or expectation that you should.

I specifically stated in my earlier post that I was against someone that was coming on Net54, that was NOT an advertiser and active, contributing member, and who was SOLELY using Net54 to make unsolicited offers to members on here. I had hoped my second paragraph in that earlier post made that point clear. If not, I am reiterating here again that I am against non-contributing and non-participating members, and otherwise those that don't properly pay to advertise on the site, to be contacting members looking for business in an unsolicited manner.

My third paragraph was more for the benefit of someone, like say Greg Morris Cards, that is an advertiser on the site, and a major consignee. I am not aware of Greg Morris, or anyone else who is affiliated with his company, being an ongoing and contributing Net54 member. But as a paid advertiser, I feel they do have certain rights and privileges as well. Someone who really isn't an ongoing and valuable, contributing Net54 community member, and/or a paid advertiser, should not IMO ever be able to just come on the site and lurk around waiting to make unsolicited offers for new business when they see an opportunity.

I trust that is crystal clear for everyone. And again, my apologies if there was any misunderstanding in what I was saying.

Last edited by BobC; 01-19-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:26 PM
Al Stein

I just read the first sentence of Bob's post, but I think I agree with him.

For example, if Howard, Al or Scott wanted to contact me about the 1965 Topps PSA Near Set that I just posted, I would welcome their thoughts. I know those guys and respect them, and they have a pretty good idea about my collection too. I wouldn't want to restrict them at all from how they interact now, they are active contributors here and Net54 is better for it.

It would be different if some dude with 40 posts sent me a generic PM telling me he can consign my collection for me, just because he sees I've got a Very Nice! 1952 Bowman #101 Mantle PSA 4 for sale in the BST section. That kind of stuff is not a big deal now because it doesn't happen that often, and it's probably self-correcting for the most part. I don't really think anybody on this site is going to hand over their collection to someone they don't know, just because they get a spam message. So I expect the annoyance level on this will be low.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:45 PM

I’ve sent a couple PMs out in the past couple days to guys I think I may could assist sell their cards.

I’ve also made a few posts about it in a thread or 2. I never want to be overbearing, but I also am trying to build up my clientele and business.

My business is structured to tailor to sellers much like the ones on this sight and built on long lasting relationships with my sellers. I truly do think that the services I offer could be very helpful to some guys on Net54, but the issue is getting responses/interests.

I apologize if I offended anyone or broke the rules by sending those PMs, as it was all out of good faith and a true desire to help out vintage sellers!

Thank you,
Fisher
Old 01-20-2023, 12:19 AM
Greg C

Sounds harmless if the messages are passive and low-pressure
Old 01-20-2023, 06:18 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

My two cents. Legitimate businesses are fine, as are reputable members who actively participate. I got the message that’s being alluded to in the thread. The guy in question has virtually no post history. All he ever posts about is his consignment business. It stinks of a scam to me, and if it were up to me, I’d ban him from the forum.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:28 AM

Fish, thanks for your post. I checked your profile and you joined in 2021 and have 47 total posts, including the one above. Just my two cents- if you approached me, I would think: who is this guy and why on earth would I trust him to sell my stuff when I can go to long-standing and known AHs, like LOTG, REA, ML,, Heritage, or use private guys like Howard, Don, or Kevin, who I have known on and off net54 for years, or smaller AHs like Collector Connection or Sterling.

I understand there are many new faces/names on the site over the past 2 years, and perhaps they are a good target for potential customers. But I am sure anyone who has been around here for a while is not going to respond, let alone respond positively, to a solicitation from a relative newbie with virtually no footprint on the site.

That said, by all me means go for! I have no issue with you, or other people, soliciting by PM, so long as it’s respectful and not harassment. And I wish luck, but suggest you make yourself a little more active here so that there is context and reputation behind the solicitation.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:13 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I’ve sent a couple PMs out in the past couple days to guys I think I may could assist sell their cards.

I’ve also made a few posts about it in a thread or 2. I never want to be overbearing, but I also am trying to build up my clientele and business.

My business is structured to tailor to sellers much like the ones on this sight and built on long lasting relationships with my sellers. I truly do think that the services I offer could be very helpful to some guys on Net54, but the issue is getting responses/interests.

I apologize if I offended anyone or broke the rules by sending those PMs, as it was all out of good faith and a true desire to help out vintage sellers!

Thank you,
Fisher
Since you responded maybe you could tell us what service you offer and, possibly as part of that, what value you add to the equation.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:37 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Fish, thanks for your post. I checked your profile and you joined in 2021 and have 47 total posts, including the one above. Just my two cents- if you approached me, I would think: who is this guy and why on earth would I trust him to sell my stuff when I can go to long-standing and known AHs, like LOTG, REA, ML,, Heritage, or use private guys like Howard, Don, or Kevin, who I have known on and off net54 for years, or smaller AHs like Collector Connection or Sterling.

I understand there are many new faces/names on the site over the past 2 years, and perhaps they are a good target for potential customers. But I am sure anyone who has been around here for a while is not going to respond, let alone respond positively, to a solicitation from a relative newbie with virtually no footprint on the site.

That said, by all me means go for! I have no issue with you, or other people, soliciting by PM, so long as it’s respectful and not harassment. And I wish luck, but suggest you make yourself a little more active here so that there is context and reputation behind the solicitation.
Well stated Ryan. As someone who received the email, this was pretty much my thoughts upon reading it as well. I would add, the message was clear on his intentions, straight to the point, and didn't feel pushy at all. For a solicitation, I thought it was actually well written. While I have no desire to consign anything, I would be more likely to consider consigning to him than some other established AH's that are on the board.

Fisher, my advice would be simply this, don't be discouraged by what some of the folks in this thread have said so far. It takes time to build up a reputation like Al, Don, REA, etc have done. The more you interact with folks on this board, especially outside the BST area, the more folks are going to recognize, appreciate, and trust you. Also keep in mind the board has seen a number of auction houses pop up and things have not always been pretty.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-20-2023, 10:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
If your good the people/consignments will come naturally to you.
As much as I like the sentiment, I think every consignment director in the country would point out that there's a ton of work involved getting good consignments in.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-20-2023, 01:23 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
...The more you interact with folks on this board, especially outside the BST area, the more folks are going to recognize, appreciate, and trust you...
I agree.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-20-2023, 01:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not even on the annoying spectrum as compared to the deluge of calls, emails and texts I get from realtors trying to sell my house and bucket shops trying to sell me dodgy securities.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...