NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Completely Bizarre

Posted By: warshawlaw 

In another string I mentioned some authenticated autographed index cards that I saw encapsulated in PSA/DNA holders. I contacted PSA/DNA for an explanation of the service. The following is what I was told:

"We now offer a brand new service called One Great Combination. For $20 a card, you may submit your card (valued below $1000) to PSA for autograph verification and card grading. The two services work in tandem. For additional details, please visit the following site: http://www.psacard.com/greatcombo.chtml. If you have any additional questions, please contact us toll free at 800-325-1121."

"The special applies to index “cards” as well. You also have the option of submitting the items for a FULL premium authentication (includes a COA or LOA) which costs between $20-$250 depending on the autograph. Thereafter, you may submit the card for encapsulation through PSA which will range between $8-$50 depending on the turnaround you select. Given this information, we recommend that you take advantage of the One Great Combination special."

This, however, is what the PSA web site to which this email directed me says about the offer:

"Please keep in mind that an autographed card submitted under the PSA card grading and autograph authentication combination service must pass both autograph authentication and card grading authentication in order to be encapsulated."

Maybe it is all the coffee at 3:50 in the afternoon, but I don't follow this at all--the two statements seem to be mutually contradictory. Do these guys have any clue at all???

Old 04-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray (NJ)

Its not a brand new thing. They had it at the White Plains show the weekend of the blackout last summer. I submitted three cards, all autographed (Mario Lemiuex, Joe Montana, and Nolan Ryan). First, the autograph is checked for authenticity. If deemed authentic, it gets graded and encapsulated. If not authentic, they return it like an altered/trimmed card. My Lemiuex was the only one that came back legit. I'll scan pictures of the cards to show you how they came back. BTW, if deemed not authentic, u don't get a refund.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

What is also bizarre is that they state in certain cases where the card is determined to be altered they may opt to assign a grade of Authentic as opposed to a numerical if the autogtaph is deemed legit. This is of course at their discretion and assumes they would catch the alteration. That of course has certainly come into question in recent threads.

Like I stated previously, I have used the service several times for some of my auto'd prewar stuff and have been very pleased. The turnaround time has been very slow and the invoice does not log in to the tracking system until after the autos have been authenticated in PA and then the cards shipped to and received in CA.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Here's the lemieux:

Old 04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Here's how the Montana came back, and the Nolan came back the same way. Again, if its not a legit autograph, you don't get a refund.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

I think a signature on a card, ruins a card's grade. For example, anything with handwriting is normally deemed a 1-2. I don't see how a signature can fit in with PSA's (or any other company's) grading standards when examining/grading the surface on the card.

In all fairness, a valid signature will carry it's own premium that should have nothing to do with a card's grade IMO.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

a couple of years ago, minty card, minty autograph, minty price. No grade involved...
Lemmee see..DNA--that's when there's only 1 chance in 2,000,000,000,000 that this item DOESN'T have so-and-so's blood on it, right? And they still acquitted him...

Always wondered what PSA meant by "DNA"...

Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

Collecting autographed cards is a niche like many others in the hobby. To your point anyone who is collecting cards w/o regard to the autograph side will think the grade of the card is irrelevant because it is written on and therefore not or less collectible. For someone like me who collects both (cards and auto cards) the grade is irrlevant as well - I simply like to collect autographed cards.

The grade assigned simply says what shape/condition the card that is signed is in. If they offered a service whereby for $10 or $15 they would authenticate the signature w/0 grading the card - that would be better. But for know that's the program - auth. the auto and grade the card.