NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default Krause Publications launches an auction site

Posted By: Richard Simon

If theres anything certain in the new Information Age era, its change, and Krause Publications, which has produced Sports Collectors Digest for nearly three decades, finds itself in the middle of yet another major expansion of its hobby reach.

Noting the sports divisions considerable experience in the auction world, Krause Publications has launched Collect.com Auctions, which expects to play a complementary role in the long-standing Krause Publications commitment to provide a broad array of services for hobbyists and collectors at every level of expertise.

Collect.com Auctions, powered by Krause Publications, is currently taking consignments for its inaugural sale, slated to be held June 18.

We have the in-house experience, expertise and infrastructure to put this in place, said Dean Listle, publisher of Sports for Krause Publications, a division of F+W Media.

Added Collect.coms director of auctions, Steve Bloedow, We have experts in-house in every area of collectibles, from sports, comics, music, automobiles and antiques to guns and knives. With the current climate in the auction business, we felt there was still room in the industry for auction houses.

The auction house plans to use its company history and assets to reach the most bidders possible. Marketing power includes the ability to reach 10 unique collectibles markets through 15 print titles and 13 collectibles-related websites, getting in touch with more than 92,000 collectors every day.

Bob Lemke, former editor of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, will serve as the consignment director for the new venture.

It makes sense to have a foremost vintage card expert on board with us, and Bob certainly fills that role, as readers of SCD will attest, Bloedow said.

The first auctions will have a working mans feel, offering affordable items in the sports categories of vintage cards, modern cards, autographs, game-used equipment, tickets, publications, trophies, awards, vintage photos, advertising pieces, political memorabilia and other miscellaneous items.

The focus will be on sports, but not limited to sports, Bloedow said.

All of the autographs sold through Collect.com Auctions will come with authentication from James Spence Authentication, PSA/DNA, Upper Deck Authenticated, ACE or Steiner.

As a company, weve been involved in the auction business since its start, covering, running and helping other auction houses launch, Bloedow said, who has been in the hobby for 30 years, including the last 14 with Krause. Were now taking that experience and expertise in starting our own business.

Collect.com Auctions looks to join an already established group of auction houses, creating its own niche in the group.

I view many of the existing auction houses as potential partners more than competitors, Bloedow said.

Collect.com Auctions will work with a 17 percent buyers premium, with all forms of payment accepted, including credit cards, PayPal and Google Checkout.

-

I guess a failing magazine has forced them to grace us with yet another auction house in a field that is already flooded with them, and right in the middle of a recession where a few auction houses (more than the one we are currently discussing) are constantly late paying their consignors.

Now they are competing with their own SCD advertisers, how ethical is that?

===

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Unknown author

--

We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.

No retreat baby, no surrender.

The Boss

edited some spaces out

Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: shelly jaffe

I wonder why they are not useing the outstanding authenticators from coaches corner?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J.McMurry

Good to hear from you again Shelly, and my sincere condolences on your recent loss.

You beat me to it,are they not gonna use STAT? This reminds me of their card grading mess of a couple years back.

who is ACE?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

It's always good to have a backup authenticator, in case the masses reject ACE...

Edit - For Jody, ACE is the authentication service offered by Justin "Tiger Woods signs lots of golf balls" Priddy.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I wouldn't even know where to begin to comment on this. Why do we need yet another auction house, among a hundred other issues?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

They smell blood in the water, with auction houses having trouble paying consignors, so they wanted to join that merry group.
==

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

The recession is over, please return to your spending positions. The number of auction houses will continue to grow. If one falls, two or more will spring up in their place.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You used the plural of auction house(s)....Please elaborate on other auction houses having cash flow issues besides the apparent SNAFU from Mastro operations. I think SCD is just doing it because they think it's a good business move not because they smell blood in the water. But that is just my opinion and I have been wrong before...take care

Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CS Bolay

Does this mean SCD will now expand to 100 pages, 50 pages of Krause auctions to match Coach's 50?

This'll be a fun story to watch...

Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Leon - American Memorabilia and Bricol have both been mentioned previously on Net 54 in regards to being very slow payers to consignors.
=

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

How can they have any respect with Coaches Corner advertising in their publications every week ? They will never get a bid from me . I lost thousands of dollars with Coachs Corner before I realize nobody else will guarantee as authentic what they sell. Who will be their experts ( Stat ?, Coaches Corner ? Chris Moreles ?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

When will Krause expand into mortgage origination and securitization?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

American Memorabilia takes roughly 6 months to pay consignors (if they are lucky, persistent, and threaten legal action often).

Bricol pays like clockwork (30 days) provided the consigned items are authentic and actualy sell. I have received on-time payment from Bricol from their last 20 or so auctions (with no interruption). If the consigned items are forgeries, the consignors are not paid. It's pretty simple, despite what some others have claimed.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Mark - I have no personal knowledge of Bricol, just going by what I have read on Net 54. There was a lengthy thread here about consignor payment problems with them. Obviously you have had no problems, but at least one person here has claimed that he has problems with them.

=

Unknown author

--

The Boss

Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Isn't this just another reason to wonder why anyone supports this magazine?

They were used as a vehicle to pass along advertisers and now THEY ARE an advertiser. They are competing with those who pay their own bills. You can consign here OR you can sell through us!

I don't think it's so much about blood in the water, but merely a way to stay afloat. Or maybe what many had hoped, that the periodical will FINALLY fold altogether and this is their next business venture, which I hope folds as well.

DJ

Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

You know what is it about this slogan that several board members constantly display it? "I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."
Unknown author

It reminds me of some cheesy line in Wall Steet or something. I can picture Gordon telling Bud Fox now- Buddy boy you know i make so much cash that when i fart it costs me about 10,000 due to the 30 seconds i lose from people clearing the office. Every battle is won before it is ever fought so always have some rolaids handy.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Yea, it's almost as annoying as 'Bring the Noise'. What a putz

Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Consider it brought, Steve.

[linked image]

Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

can you guys set up something like Auction Default Swaps or ADS or some sort of derivative that'll underwrite all these shaky auction houses?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Can you bring in Da Funk too.......?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

Come on Bark,.. you gotta rock now... they are dissin , they aint missin,.. you gotta bring it playa ..bring it

Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

I give, and I give, and I give:

[linked image]

Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Administrator

You just like Sevian Glover (sp?).....bringin da noiz and bringin da funk......much appreciated....

Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

You know, Tom, no one likes the shiny disco balls more than me, but honestly, the ones with the matte finish are even nicer.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Well you asked for it so here is my boy Fred BRINGING THE NOISE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfSAXksePc

Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Really, Fred Durst?

Could you find a lamer has-been celebrity to attach a phrase to?

Always thought you were referring to Public Enemy.
Wow.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

I only put Fred on because of the song it's all about the he said she said bullsh_t. The original song has already been posted and no one delivers the noise like Chuck d and Flav.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Noise is Right..
I feel sorry for you younger guys that missed the good music.
If I had to listen to contemporary heaviness, I guess give me some Black Label Society. But it will never compare to hearing Led Zepplin 1 for the first time in 1969 or seeing Grand Funk Live in 1970.