NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Phil Garry

Default Order of Posts

Not sure if this has previously been discussed (I'm sure that it must have been mentioned at some point) but what are the feelings of having the order of posts (and pages of posts) arranged in order from the most recent, going backwards to the oldest? I find that the majority of time, I find myself opening every thread and going right to the last page to view the most recent posts. The longer that a thread gets, the more prominent this is. I would think that viewers interested in a particular topic would have been following that thread from the beginning so no need to begin at the given starting point every time.

Thoughts?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 10-10-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Scott

I don't think it is an issue the way the threads/posts are organized now. Its easy to notice a new post (the topic is marked as such). So, if you've been reading, you just go to the end.

In your defense, if there are several new posts, you'd have to go backwards and read the ones you didn't earlier. Of course, your way, you still would.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default posts

You can go to "user cp"- then "edit options" then "thread display options - and you can select to have the newest posts come up first.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default always open

I/we are always willing to listen to new ideas concerning board improvements. That being said we have been slow to change what isn't broken. Personally, I like the way it is set up now. I probably read the forum as much as anyone and the order of the posts in the threads is sort of second nature. Sometimes (many times) I want to read that first post again too.

One thing that probably will happen is I am going to make the Watercooler Lounge area, the totally off topic place, be where new folks can introduce themselves if they want to. I think that would help a bit as I have seen that question (is there an introduction area?) posed many times.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks, Rick, I didn't know about that.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
You can go to "user cp"- then "edit options" then "thread display options - and you can select to have the newest posts come up first.

Rick
There is another option as well - if you click the little 'v' icon to the left of the thread title (instead of clicking the thread title itself), you will be taken to the first post you haven't read in the thread. I use that when opening threads.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Rich Klein

Default Several other Hobby Chat Boards

Have a sticky with something like

"Did you recently join us, if so please introduce yourself

May not be a bad idea for this board

Regards
Rich
Old 10-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Personally I have a worse time with a "most recent first" arrangement. It's passable if you're reading all the time, but if you're new to things reading the most recent leaves no context, and going to the oldest page means starting from the bottom of the page in most systems. (See you tube)

Maybe the software has an option to make the order selectable? That could work.

Steve B
Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Barry Sloate

I like Phil's idea, because one of the problems I have is if a thread has too many photos, it takes so long for my computer to download them that at some point I just abandon the thread altogether. Of course one solution is to get a better computer, but I'm too cheap to do that.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

It would be good if clicking on a thread took one to the last read post. Seen that before elsewhere.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There is another option as well - if you click the little 'v' icon to the left of the thread title (instead of clicking the thread title itself), you will be taken to the first post you haven't read in the thread. I use that when opening threads.
Missed your post, sorry. Didn't know that. Thanks

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 10-10-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add letter
Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I think you just changed my life...
--S
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
It would be good if clicking on a thread took one to the last read post. Seen that before elsewhere.
What Greg said +1. Even better, I would like to have the "View First Unread" option appear on the main page where all the threads are listed, because I use this option all the time; as it currently works, I have to first open a thread before I can click on this option, and this is a wasted step IMHO.
Val
Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
What Greg said +1. Even better, I would like to have the "View First Unread" option appear on the main page where all the threads are listed, because I use this option all the time; as it currently works, I have to first open a thread before I can click on this option, and this is a wasted step IMHO.
Val
Always good to read all posts in a thread before replying. You already can do this.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Always good to read all posts in a thread before replying. You already can do this.
I guess I thought this was common knowledge..I had no idea people didn't know about that function.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Val Kehl

Matt - Many thanks for pointing this out to me. Actually, I did read all of the prior posts before I replied, but obviously, I didn't read your's carefully enough to absorb the info.
Val