NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Doug Allen

Default Some Help On An All Star Team

I came accross this studio cabinet/photo (it is 15" by 20" with mount) entitled "All Star Ball Teams American and National Leagues"

Based on when the players played I would date this as circa 1902 and it includes Beckley, Chesbro, Crawford, Joss and Keeler.

I have searched for some background to no avail. Not sure if it is a barnstorming team (the Marceau Studio who produced it was in LA) or something like that.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All Star Baseball teams.jpg (71.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I don't know but....

Doug
I don't know too much about the history of the cabinet but what a great card. Thanks for showing it. I especially like Joss's haircut. It reminds me of back in the WIG days ......
Old 10-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Doug

I remember seeing that in person at one time, and I am guessing it is unique. The one I saw was large (probably 18 inches tall or so) and at the time was mounted to something more modern like white styrofoam board and that was the only reason I did not buy it, but I am sure that could easily be removed by a conservator.

I know there was a Barnstorming tour in 1902 and that is when Waddell signed with Los Angeles briefly, and I bet that an LA studio had the cabinet made up to promote the tour or maybe just to sell to tourists (I have no idea of these players were on the tour or not but I guess it was a promo item for the game). It is a GREAT photo and it is one of the few things I have passed on over the years that I sometimes wish I had bought.

Rhys Yeakley

Last edited by prewarsports; 10-11-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Default Got it!

Hey Doug, I got it for ya!

Quoted from a biography of "Sid Mercer"
quote--------------------------------------------------------------
Mercer, along with old-time St. Louis Browns' star Tip O'Neill, organized a three-month barnstorming tour of the west. Teams of American and National Leaguers played each other almost daily in cities between Chicago and Los Angeles. Once in California the teams split up with each playing exhibitions against local clubs. The Americans included Harry Davis, Monte Cross, Fielder Jones, Bobby Wallace, Addie Joss, and Mercer. The Nationals big names were Jake Beckley, Sam Crawford, Willie Keeler, Jesse Tannehill and Jack Chesbro.

The scheduled tour finished in San Francisco with the Americans and Nationals playing a three game series. The teams laid over in San Francisco for a few days of relaxation before heading back to Chicago. It was then, on January 13, 1903, that Mercer left the teams at the Langham Hotel and registered at the Occidental Hotel under the name of George Murray of Philadelphia. After penning several notes, he ran a tube from the gas jet into his mouth and asphyxiated himself.

I will accept a free item in the next auction for the research!

Take Care, Great Photo and dated from late 1902-Early 1903 makes it very special!

Rhys Yeakley

Last edited by prewarsports; 10-11-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Doug Allen

Default Wow Rhys!!!

I am speechless (for those who know me that is rare) that is great informtion! Thanks for the help.

By the way it is the same piece. The photo is mounted on an embossed cardboard (period) and then mounted on a more modern board. The photo is spectacular.

I definitely owe you one.

All the best,
Doug

Last edited by dallen; 10-11-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Barry Sloate

Great research...and poor Mercer. What a terrible end to that story.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Phil Garry

If the piece can be pinpointed to 1902 rather than 1903, I believe that it would mark the only known 1902 image of Joss..........
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM
J@son M1ller

I've recently been doing some research on Chesbro for another purpose and came up with this article from the November 18, 1902 edition of the San Francisco Call which mentions one of the games played in Riverside, CA.

And here's from the December 26th edition of the same paper:

Last edited by Jaybird; 10-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Craig

So
What auction will it be in?

Nice work Rhys!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Doug Allen

Default Auction

Ok I have to be careful about not doing a commercial about my amazing upcoming auctions...just kidding.

It will be in our February 2012 auction and actually be featured amongst a pretty amazing collection of 19th and early 20th century material.

Thanks everyone for the research help!