NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 PM
George

Default 1889 Print Help - "Opening Game of the Boston Base-ball Club"

Hi All,
I recently picked up this very interesting print and received it in the mail today. It is titled "Opening Game of the Boston Base-ball Club" and is published by G. Waldon Smith. It measures 14" x 10" and has an interesting black and red border. I have done an extensive amount of data mining and have found very little information. Here are some key points:

1) It resembles this print although there are some differences in size, design and obviously color.
2) I have not opened up the frame and don't want to yet but it may have a golf print titled "Sabbath Breakers" on the back side similar to this print.
3) It looks exactly like this print but this one is authentic. I have yet to find the source of this particular color print.

I was 99% convinced that it was a reprint but after consulting with a few experts on this forum and seeing the characteristics under the microscope, it looks to be legitimate.

Does anyone know what this is or more importantly where it came from...newspaper, magazine publication, other?

UPDATE: I received the print a few weeks back and took it out of the frame. It is on very thin paper and has a golf theme on the other side. I think the clue to its origins lies in what is highlighted in very small print on the second photo but very hard for me to tell even in person. It says something like "____ Congress in the Year ____ by ____. ____ of the ____ of Congress at Washington." I've attempted to capture what it looks like under magnification. Will continue to try to see what I can uncover but if there are any good eyes here who can help me make out the inscription, let me know. Thanks! I can also send better images via email.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_14 Oct. 09 23.15.jpg (17.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 026.jpg (74.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 056.jpg (74.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 054.jpg (75.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by aquarius31; 10-10-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: new pictures
Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Barry Sloate

This is a well known print, and quite desirable, but it was issued in black and white and in a much larger format. This one appears to be a reprint, although it could have been issued in a smaller size (I'm not sure about this, maybe someone else knows), and then subsequently hand colored. Not having it in hand to examine closely, my guess is it is a reprint.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 AM
George

Thanks Barry. I too was convinced that it was a reprint until I saw it in person. It looks to be on older paper and under high magnification looks similar to the T206s with irregular sized dots and 0 evidence of multicolor dot pattern.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Barry Sloate

It could be a hand colored original, but I can't tell from a scan.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:07 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

I have never seen an original color-version of this print. I agree with Barry. My guess is that it is an old reprint, probably made by photographing the original and then adding color. Given that an original dates to the late 1880's, a repro could have been done well over 100 years ago and therefore would look as old as an original.

My experience has been that in all instances versions of prints that vary in size from the known originals are always repros.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Printing quality looks like a reprint from the scans posted, especially the close-up portraits pic.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM
R.L. Americana, LLC

These color prints are definitely post-1900. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one but I do remember trying to figure out what this was decades ago. My recollection is that I found it was actually part of a calendar devoted to sport that was very well made, and included this illustration (which of course was created by using a black-and-white 1889 print as inspiration). I don’t remember the year, but I think it dates from the late 1920s. I remember the first time I saw this color baseball print (about 30 years ago), it was also framed, and when I opened the frame to check the back it had the golfing scene on the reverse.

Last edited by Robert_Lifson; 10-01-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Rob- I believe I've also seen a calendar with the Currier & Ives baseball print. Does that ring a bell?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarius31 View Post
Thanks Barry. I too was convinced that it was a reprint until I saw it in person. It looks to be on older paper and under high magnification looks similar to the T206s with irregular sized dots and 0 evidence of multicolor dot pattern.
Key is the fact that when magnified it looks like the same litho process used in T206's. As you've already guessed, if that's true, then it's not a photo of an original, and it's certainly not hand-colored.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 AM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Hi Barry! I can’t recall if I’ve seen the Currier & Ives baseball print in a calendar but over the years I’ve seen many types of reproductions and some of them have a lot of age to them. The Currier print was issued in 1866 and it seems they’ve been producing reprints of various types ever since. I’m sure there’s a calendar among them somewhere! This 1866 CDV featuring the Currier & Ives print is the earliest use of the image, is a favorite of mine, and was an exciting item to document:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...n/2008/19.html

(Looking at the auction description, I am glad to see I did not forget to throw “the hat in the ring” for this CDV being the earliest baseball card known to exist. There’s a lot to this card!)

Sincerely,

Rob L
Old 10-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Rob- I remember that CdV well, it was very unusual. It reminds me a little of daguerreotypes of old paintings- really an image of another image.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 PM
George

Thank you everyone for the excellent insight! I learn a new thing everyday on net54. I guess I'm still relieved that it's not a modern day reprint. I clearly have a lot to learn and maybe I should stick to the Harper's and Lelie's woodcut which I'm much more familiar with : ) Rob, your observation about this coming from a calendar is very interesting and I'm going to see if I can do a little more research and find the actual calendar mfr. If anyone has an idea of the value of this 'print' please let me know. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
George

Hi, I've added new pictures to my initial post. Any additional help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.