NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default find at a flea market

Posted By: joez

last weekend I bought what looked to be a advertisment for the old judge baseball album and with it was four cards (two of glasscock,anson and kelly) at a flea market.The back of the advertisment and the cards are blank but the cards look like they once had something on the back. I dont know much about old judge cards so it would be helpful if someone could tell me if it is authentic or not and how much it is worth.
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/jobuto/

joe

Old 07-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'm no expert on 19th century stuff...but...those n162 cards are definitely not real. are they cut out from something? I'm not sure but the borders are way too big and the colors in general of both the cards and the poster seem washed out...not nearly as vivid as they should be.

pete in mn

Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

concur with Pete

Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The Round Album poster is extremely rare and valuable, but since the cards are fake my guess is the poster is a reprint, too. But someone should look into it.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

can someone post a verified authenic round album poster to compare it to.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

I believe there are only two posters known and the only ones I have seen pictured are in old auction catalogs. The paper has to look old and the colors should be bright and crisp on an original. If the poster looks glossy, and if the images look blurry or the colors muted, it's a fake. I've never seen one reprinted but it is certainly possible.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mabjae

I bought a similar poster on eBay a few months ago for about $15 thinking maybe it could be real. The poster I got is printed on old, yellowed paper that feels old, looks old and smells old. But I don't think it's real. I thought this was a fairly unusual and exteremely rare piece for someone to copy and reprint, but I'm pretty sure that's what both of our posters are. If not we both got a hell of a deal.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Administrator

A nice round album poster is probably worth around 50K, so $15 does sound like a tad too much of a good deal. I guess someone did reprint it.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

mabjae,
what was it that made you think your poster is a reprint

Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

You can also tell that the image on the poster just isn't that crisp or clear, kinda fuzzy. Neat display piece but I say no authentic, too.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: billsimcouski

the poster looks a little faded but that could be from 118 years of fading but since it is so rare it is probably a reprint. it would be good if someone could post a similar poster from that era so people can see the vived color they are talking about.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mabjae

I think, no, I know, that my poster is a reprint because of a few things. The colors aren't real crisp like on original posters. It doesn't look photocopied or anything that bad, they just look a bit washed out. Also, there weren't any folds, bends or creases in the paper at all. To survive this long in that kind of shape would mean it would have framed - but there was no discoloration around the edges, or any sign of it being framed.
Finally, the price. With so many collectors out there on eBay - I can't buy a common t206 for less than $25-30 anymore - you have to think that if it was real, someone else would have spotted it.
But in the end, I don't really care. I like the way it looks and the wife likes it. So I'm happy with it.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.D

I especially like the N-2 Indian ad. Those are great! thanks for posting them.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Keith outbid me for the Indian poster. Definately a real stunner. I've seen 3 of them over the past few years and the one Keith has is in the best shape of the 3. At least it went to someone I know and like.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Keith- If you don't mind telling, what do these posters which you have displayed go for on the open market? They are really nice.
tbob

Old 07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

.....that Keith has a pool table! My kind of guy.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

The Indian poster is more valuable than the other three by many multiples. Only the two baseball posters are more valuable, followed by the Indian. None of the other Allen & Ginter come close, though there is some better subject matter. P.S- I realize a couple are Dukes, but they too pale next to the Indians.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Mastro had an Indian poster about a year ago. If I remember right, it went for over $10k. I know what Kieth paid for his, but I'll let him tell if wants everyone to know.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Allen & Ginter along with Duke seem to be the most prolific of the tobacco companies when it came to advertising their products (and these are the posters you see most often). I'd say the ground floor for one in decent condition is 1500-2000.

Like Barry said, the A&G Indian banner brings major interest because of the popularity of the set. The last one I remember selling was in a Mastro auction about 2 years ago. It brought somewhere around 15000 before juice.

Was it about 5 years ago I got mine Jay? I remember it was around X-mas because I told myself this was my Christmas present to myself. Mine is still the only one I've seen with the metal hanging strips attached yet. For those who don't know what I mean, there was a metal strip at the top and bottom of most banners. The top strip had a metal loop for hanging while the lower one "weighted" the bottom down when hung.

They had to be eye catching and certainly were. I like you too Jay .

Brunswick Balke and Collender Co artifact E, Daniel

Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

The one Mastro sold last year went for just shy of 15K.