NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Default News Release about WIWAG from Attorney's office

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/cas/cas30117.1.htm

Old 02-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I hope they do serious time.

Old 02-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julian

Isn't that great? Justice served. How arrogant they must have been. They(WIWAG) would have continued on their felonious ways, and then, a brain cramp. Done in by their own genious.

Old 02-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

I think the reason people even take a chance doing things like this is what it says at the bottom of the letter. Maximum...5 years. What will they really serve if convicted? 1 or 2 years? Seems to me if the max was 25 years these guys would have had second thoughts...Because you still have to get caught! How much money has been socked away from the evil doings awaiting their release from the country club? The laws are too lenient...they really suck!

Old 02-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Why would they do this to cards that have only a limited quanity? Much Easier to Catch.

Gee Mike W., They may be the king of the DUNDERHEADS!!!

Old 02-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

how this works with the imited quantity stuff? I initially though that the PSA label would have the card's serial number on it, and that someone could easily spot it when the label didn't match the card. When I spent 3-5 minutes on Ebay, however, I learned that these serial numbered cards are not identified by their serial numbers on the PSA labels, so it may not be as obvious as you would think. I suppose that something would stink if there were only 10 or so made and a PSA pop report shows 25 graded, but other than that scenario, how would you catch these guys?
Regards............Todd

Old 02-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PSA KID

My guess is they'll get off with a slap on the wrist. Probably a fine and probation. Especially in light of the fact that they plead guilty and are probably cooperating with law enforcement.

Old 02-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am no lawyer or judge but my best guess is if they are convicted, and it is their first felony offense, they will get probation. In cases like this I would think that probation is given in the lion's share of cases ( I really think in ALL cases but don't want to say that). The fine is another story....they could face a steep one thereby negating their ill-gotten profits....at least I hope that's the case...best regards

Old 02-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty

Mail Fraud, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1341
Maximum Penalty (for individuals): 5 yrs. in custody and/or $250,000 fine
Maximum Penalty (for corporation): $1 million fine

They were incorprated, so it looks like a fine only.

Old 02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

The corporation won't go to fail because it can't. But the people running the corporation certainly can. The fact that their business was a corporation won't spare them. But I agree with everyone else that jail is unlikely.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

If there is a fine imposed where does that money go?

Old 02-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

There is something (I can't quite put my finger on it) ironic about the card at issue being of a Portland Trailblazer.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Don't do the CRIME if you can't do the TIME. I met them at the Atlanta Nationals a few years ago. I helped them with a mail-order network. They installed everything, and said they would take care of me. Well I hope that promise does'nt come true

Old 02-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

1. The indictment charged the individuals and the company, so the possibility of jail is there for the individuals. However, because they pled out their crime to single counts of each felony, they are likely to receive probation and a fine, plus freeway cleaning, er, community service. However, because of the nature of the crime, I expect that an element of their plea was an accounting of all fraudulent PSA holders they sold plus sale of their assets to make restitution to the purchasers. I'd not be surprised to see a restitution order as part of the plea bargain.

2. Any fine would go to the government. If they have substantial assets and a suitable plaintiff can be found I would expect a civil action aimed at them to be filed. Hell, I'd be willing to represent a plaintiff if there is anyone out there who got burned on this. Once they admit to a felony, the case itself is a slam dunk (the admission of guilt in a criminal case is stronger than any other admission).