NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Gerry and Sherry and Joe

Interesting story on Hauls of Shame.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=27012#more-27012

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Dan Bretta

He just can't help himself when writing a story to get a jab in at someone that has nothing at all to do with the story.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
He just can't help himself when writing a story to get a jab in at someone that has nothing at all to do with the story.
You mean the dig at Leon?
"Despite these controversies Net54 moderator Leon Luckey publicly vouched for Schwartz in 2009 calling him a “recommended seller.”"

Yeah, a bit far afield of the story, wasn't it. The thrust of the story, if true, is pretty disturbing though.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Yep...no doubt, and it is once again due to the hard work of Net 54 members (Chris Browne, Doug Phillies*Phan and probably others) that the light is turned on to those scurrying cockroaches.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-13-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Banned

If it is true Im sure Leon was unaware of these matters. Leon is that last person to let someone come into the hobby and tarnish it with deception and lies.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
pete ullman

I wonder if Gerry Schwartz has found Jesus yet?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I wonder if Gerry Schwartz has found Jesus yet?
He tried but jesus hasnt responded to him yet
Old 01-13-2014, 11:54 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Typical Nash on legit stories he’s a day late and a dollar short. Then the other times they are farfetched ramblings of a sad little man with mountains of legal issues, fraud allegations and legal warrants outstanding.

Wow he didn’t get Lifson’s name in on this thread, or drag Barry Halper’s corpse thru the mud? The Prime Minster is slipping.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Typical Nash on legit stories he’s a day late and a dollar short. Then the other times they are farfetched ramblings of a sad little man with mountains of legal issues, fraud allegations and legal warrants outstanding.

Wow he didn’t get Lifson’s name in on this thread, or drag Barry Halper’s corpse thru the mud? The Prime Minster is slipping.

I agree that this article is a bit suspect.

So PSA allegedly bought back one of the altered Maggie card for $16,000? This isn't the PSA I know. If there was incontrovertible evidence that the card had been altered they would be leaking out stories that the alteration actually makes the card more valuable or David Hall would be ranting, "I have examined every aspect of that card. The only question we had was if it should be a PSA 3 or a PSA 4. We never considered that it had been altered!”

Yeah, I take this article with a grain of salt.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
I agree that this article is a bit suspect.

So PSA allegedly bought back one of the altered Maggie card for $16,000? This isn't the PSA I know. If there was incontrovertible evidence that the card had been altered they would be leaking out stories that the alteration actually makes the card more valuable or David Hall would be ranting, "I have examined every aspect of that card. The only question we had was if it should be a PSA 3 or a PSA 4. We never considered that it had been altered!”

Yeah, I take this article with a grain of salt.
Big difference between 16K to buy back the Magie (probably one invoice worth of fees from 4 Sharp ) versus 2 million for the Wagner.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:48 AM
David R

So do folks here who know more about these Magie cards think that this story is, for the most part, true? If so, I agree with Peter and Dan that it's pretty troubling. I can't tell, however, how much validity these Nash stories have because some folks here, like John and others, say that Nash is a bad guy and has done a lot of dishonest things (and that seems credible) and therefore seem to imply that nothing Nash writes can be believed. Nash certainly throws in some mud with most of his stories, but should everything Nash writes be disbelieved? Or are some members throwing out the baby with the bath water?

I don't really know enough about Nash and the incidents he writes about to know how much of his stuff is true.

Last edited by David R; 01-14-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:16 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I’ll go on record and say this. I think Peter has some good articles and some of them are credible or based loosely in fact.

With that said Peter himself is a fraudster and has mountains of legal troubles from being accused of selling fake merchandise, creating fake merchandise, threats on other collectors, owing people lots of money, outstanding warrants and legal matters etc.

His whole website really came about hot and heavy with these “investigative” articles after he was knee deep in all the above. The website has been little more than a smoke screen to draw attention away from his own issues and to slam those who have issue with him via his own forum. All of this is of course done under the banner of hobby white knight and savior.

While I wouldn’t disagree with Jerry Sandusky that one should keep an eye on their kids and that child molesters are really bad people I wouldn’t rush to read Jerry’s daily blog pointing fingers either.

I will issue a public challenge to Peter Nash since I know he reads this board and calls me a Lifson cheerleader. If Peter is willing to acknowledge and answer publicly the very well know claims about his past and present, I would be willing to be more receptive to his website….in fact I might even join his cause.

However until the man takes responsibility for his role in hobby fraud or at least addresses it vs. pleading the fifth at every turn I will continue to consider him a fraudster with a website and an axe to grind.

John
Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I agree... Several unnecessary comments in this article...
Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM
David R

Quote:
I’ll go on record and say this. I think Peter has some good articles and some of them are credible or based loosely in fact.

With that said Peter himself is a fraudster and has mountains of legal troubles from being accused of selling fake merchandise, creating fake merchandise, threats on other collectors, owing people lots of money, outstanding warrants and legal matters etc.

His whole website really came about hot and heavy with these “investigative” articles after he was knee deep in all the above. The website has been little more than a smoke screen to draw attention away from his own issues and to slam those who have issue with him via his own forum. All of this is of course done under the banner of hobby white knight and savior.

While I wouldn’t disagree with Jerry Sandusky that one should keep an eye on their kids and that child molesters are really bad people I wouldn’t rush to read Jerry’s daily blog pointing fingers either.

I will issue a public challenge to Peter Nash since I know he reads this board and calls me a Lifson cheerleader. If Peter is willing to acknowledge and answer publicly the very well know claims about his past and present, I would be willing to be more receptive to his website….in fact I might even join his cause.

However until the man takes responsibility for his role in hobby fraud or at least addresses it vs. pleading the fifth at every turn I will continue to consider him a fraudster with a website and an axe to grind.

John
Thanks John. I appreciate the explanation.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM

While I agree with John regarding Hauls of Shame and Nash, I also hope the FBI is investigating the alleged fraud that Schwarts and Moser have been perpetrating for years. The major card doctors are as responsible as the dishonest auction houses.
JimB
Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
While I agree with John regarding Hauls of Shame and Nash, I also hope the FBI is investigating the alleged fraud that Schwarts and Moser have been perpetrating for years. The major card doctors are as responsible as the dishonest auction houses.
JimB
They read this board quite a bit and if I were a betting person I would say anything notable gets looked at. This (Magie issue) is notable....

As for Nash, he is allegedly the biggest fraudster in the hobby. Why someone would give him information and be associated with him is beyond me. I guess some people don't care about fraud in the hobby.

Last edited by Leon; 01-14-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They read this board quite a bit and if I were a betting person I would say anything notable gets looked at. This (Magie issue) is notable....

As for Nash, he is allegedly the biggest fraudster in the hobby. Why someone would give him information and be associated with him is beyond me. I guess some people don't care about fraud in the hobby.
If you give him a "no comment" he'll probably try and work you into one of his stories.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If you give him a "no comment" he'll probably try and work you into one of his stories.
I don't think I really need to say anything to get worked into a story .
Old 01-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I don't think I really need to say anything to get worked into a story .
That's because you own the forum that gives him the most grief.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Rich Klein

Default Let's not forget innocent old me

Who got mentioned because I did a light interview with Joe O in which I did not attack him about the Wagner *8*

Rich
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Nash

Honestly I don’t know how people take this clown seriously, I mean were talking about a guy who’s shrewd investigative reporting skills led him to use the image below of Barry when he decided to slam him for no real reason. You just can’t make stuff like this up.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post
while i agree with john regarding hauls of shame and nash, i also hope the fbi is investigating the alleged fraud that schwarts and moser have been perpetrating for years. The major card doctors are as responsible as the dishonest auction houses.
Jimb
+1,000.000

And I don't buy the line one hears that it's too hard to prove. Compare purchases, submissions, and consignments/sales.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-14-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Ruben

Regardless of any personal stuff. If indeed the facts are that these cards were altered, then somehow got graded, and at least one sold. It is troubling. I wonder if Jeff can comment on if the law is investigating this matter as it seems a case which they can get to the bottom of and remove these guys who try to ruin the hobby just like those who shill.
Any info from you guys in the know would be nice
Old 01-15-2014, 03:01 AM
Rich Klein

Default I think Dan M talks to Nash because

Quote:

See this quote from Dan McKee: "One other person who was willing to go on the record about Schwartz was outspoken collector Dan McKee who told us, “Since it seems Gerry was the buyer of the 2 Magee commons used to make the errors, then he should at least be able to tell us who he sold them to so that a trace can be started.”

Remember Dan has all that emnity for PSA from his own experience and thus does not worry about whom he talks to.

Rich
Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:
Honestly I don’t know how people take this clown seriously, I mean were talking about a guy who’s shrewd investigative reporting skills led him to use the image below of Barry when he decided to slam him for no real reason. You just can’t make stuff like this up.

Slam Barry for no real reason? You can't be serious. Halper is a fraud. He made up stories and attached them to fake crap that was sold as genuine. In comparing Nash to Halper... at least Nash is trying to make things better. Halper lived and died a fraud.

I for one support Nash. I find his stories necessary. This hobby is so full of fraud, so full of people with heads in sand pretending that this high grade card isn't doctered and that autograph isn't fake that I need to read there is someone out there who gets it. Perhaps "heads in the sand" isn't correct. Willing to look the other way in the name of collecting "stuff" or in the name of preserving the value of their "stuff" is a more accurate description.

Whatever is in Nash's past is for someone other than myself to deal with. I do wish Nash would stop inserting people into articles that don't need to be there. Some of his writings come across as that of cable news networks unnecessarily taking stabs at those than really have little to nothing to do with the story.

Keep writing Peter.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
Slam Barry for no real reason? You can't be serious. Halper is a fraud. He made up stories and attached them to fake crap that was sold as genuine. In comparing Nash to Halper... at least Nash is trying to make things better. Halper lived and died a fraud.

I for one support Nash. I find his stories necessary. This hobby is so full of fraud, so full of people with heads in sand pretending that this high grade card isn't doctered and that autograph isn't fake that I need to read there is someone out there who gets it. Perhaps "heads in the sand" isn't correct. Willing to look the other way in the name of collecting "stuff" or in the name of preserving the value of their "stuff" is a more accurate description.

Whatever is in Nash's past is for someone other than myself to deal with. I do wish Nash would stop inserting people into articles that don't need to be there. Some of his writings come across as that of cable news networks unnecessarily taking stabs at those than really have little to nothing to do with the story.

Keep writing Peter.
Ummmmm......? Literally LOL.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:

Keep writing Peter.
Bryan- that's a photo of me, Barry Sloate. It's not Barry Halper. John was referring to me.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Bryan- that's a photo of me, Barry Sloate. It's not Barry Halper. John was referring to me.
Ah, Barry....this could have been fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Ah, Barry....this could have been fun.
It still can be Dan.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Slam Barry for no real reason? You can't be serious. Halper is a fraud. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Barry who?

I dunno.

Third base!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
He made up stories and attached them to fake crap that was sold as genuine.
Geee who does that sound like?

Hmmm I think I know another guy who did the same thing....that guy is still alive and hides behind a website. Only to pop up from his hole of legal troubles point fingers at others plead the fifth tuck his tail and runaway.

Easy to drag a dead man thru the mud like Halper when you're an alive scam artist who has yet to come clean on his fraud.

Once again I will issue a public challenge to Peter Nash if Peter is willing to acknowledge and answer publicly the very well-known claims about his past and present then maybe I could take him seriously.

I guess I should expect Pete's article on his own creations and frauds any day now Bryan be sure to let me know when Peter writes that article.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-15-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Hmmm I think I know another guy who did the same thing....that guy is still alive and hides behind a website. Only to pop up from his hole of legal troubles point fingers at others plead the fifth tuck his tail and runaway.

Easy to drag a dead man thru the mud like Halper when you're an alive scam artist who has yet to come clean on his fraud.

Once again I will issue a public challenge to Peter Nash if Peter is willing to acknowledge and answer publicly the very well-known claims about his past and present then maybe I could take him seriously.

I guess I should expect Pete's article on his own creations and frauds any day now Bryan be sure to let me know when Peter writes that article.
Pete Nash is one of the lowest scumbags on earth. He should be in jail for the rest of his life.....and then some.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:

That bottom pic would be perfect if you could shop in "Peter for used cars and fake trophy balls" on the sign above his head.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Quote:

Sorry Barry. I missed the part where you were involved. (See my comment on him inserting people who do not belong there.) When I think Nash and Barry I think Halper. My apologies.

I am aware of Nash and his legal troubles. However I am still able to see Nash is doing some good for the hobby. Whatever his motives, I don't care.

As for Halper, his name wouldn't be drug through the mud if he was honest. And as far as I can tell Halper never came clean on his fraud either. But he's dead... so all is good, right?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fox-guarding-the-hen-house-300x213.jpg (27.5 KB, 575 views)

Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Sorry Barry. I missed the part where you were involved. (See my comment on him inserting people who do not belong there.) When I think Nash and Barry I think Halper. My apologies.

I am aware of Nash and his legal troubles. However I am still able to see Nash is doing some good for the hobby. Whatever his motives, I don't care.

As for Halper, his name wouldn't be drug through the mud if he was honest. And as far as I can tell Halper never came clean on his fraud either. But he's dead... so all is good, right?
Who is defending Barry Halper??
Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Exactly Dan.

Peter likes to drag up Halper, it’s all part of his smoke screen “hey look one of the hobby’s greatest collectors had issues so it’s ok if I’m a crook.”

Not saying Halper was perfect nobody is, but it sure is easy to hurl accusations at dead people they cant fight back.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Chr$stopher Pett$

Is this information true?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zact View Post
Is this information true?
You'll have to be more specific and you'll also have to put your name on your post if you want to participate in this thread.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You'll have to be more specific and you'll also have to put your name on your post if you want to participate in this thread.
I assume he is referring to the claim that Gerry bought the Magies, altered them, got them graded as legit, and sold at least one?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I assume he is referring to the claim that Gerry bought the Magies, altered them, got them graded as legit, and sold at least one?
nevermind. situation resolved in PM

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-20-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 PM

Peter Hash is the Funniest "We" iN "Their" Own Hobby!
TRuLy... I JuST Love Reading "Their" Site...

I know THaT I'm a Little Warp'd Myself
(But Hey... Who isn't?)
Howevar, Mr. Hash Should OpeN a HooKah Shop
iN Sum Place Where Snow Sled's are FlyiN Out the Door!

I JuST Love His SiGHT...
I mean His Site.
If You evar feel like You Need a Laugh...
JuST Dial iNTa The Hy po cri sy
From a Man Child Who needs AttentioN!

And it doesn't necessarily need to be from You,
He does JuST FiNE TaLKiN Wit Himself...

He's Pretty FuNNy ~
iN a Backwards Way...

Anyone THiNK He's Mr. Chao incognito?