NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Jeff

Default Beautiful A's Pennant

There was a beautiful A's World Champions pennant that got snagged off ebay on a side sale. I sure hope someone on the board got it. I wish I had!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Mike H.

Can you post the link Jeff?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Jeff

Philadelphia Athletics World Champions Pennant
Item #330467749273

Don't know how to post a link. Sorry!

Last edited by HRBAKER; 09-04-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Dan Bretta

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philadelphia-Ath...9#ht_500wt_947
Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Dan Bretta

Why not email the seller and ask how much they sold it for and tell them that you can do better. They probably haven't shipped it off yet...and IMO it's fair game when someone gets a seller to end the auction early.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Adam B

Here is the link and no, I did not win it. Does anyone know if this pennant is from the 1910's or from 1929-30 as the seller suggest? Either way, a beautiful pennant for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330467749273
Old 09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Jeff

Dan,

Have done so believe me. No response yet.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Adam B

I agree with Dan, if the seller has not shipped it they would have the right to sell the item to anyone at any price. This is why a seller should never end an auction early. This is obviously a rare pennant and the seller IMO should have contacted a major auction house to inquire about appraisal and consignment. Probably would have sold for over $1,000 if the auction had beeen allowed to run its course and more if consigned to a major auction house.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerden View Post
Here is the link and no, I did not win it. Does anyone know if this pennant is from the 1910's or from 1929-30 as the seller suggest? Either way, a beautiful pennant for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330467749273

I'm not sure. It is not pictured in the Egner guide. I think there may be a chance that it's earlier than the seller thought. Hope he didn't give it away.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Jeff

Default A's Pennant

Heard back from seller. Already shipped. Out the door for $1100.
May have paid more but good for the buyer. Sure looks like a nice piece. My guess is that we may see it in an auction at some point.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Mike H.

That is an amazing pennant! Probably oversized as most three tassel pennants are and from the teens.

I've never seen another example of this pennant. The combination of painted graphics and stitched letters is fantastic.

Easily a $3,000 pennant if oversized.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Brock

On a related note, I was really bummed to see this 1912 Philadelphia (National league version) panoramic photo get ended early. Sold BIN for $800. I wanted it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 09-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Mike H.

Did it kick of with that $800 bin Brock, or was it switched after the deal?

That is a real peach.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
That is an amazing pennant! Probably oversized as most three tassel pennants are and from the teens.

I've never seen another example of this pennant. The combination of painted graphics and stitched letters is fantastic.

Easily a $3,000 pennant if oversized.
Before I even scrolled down to Mike's post (quoted above) the number in my head was $3,000. It is possibly a lone survivor, and is definitely oversized. It's exquisite, and Athletics pennants of that era always command a huge premium. Someone stole it, and the buyer cost himself at least 2K by letting it go prematurely.

If I saw it, I would have set a snipe at $3,200... bummer.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Did it kick of with that $800 bin Brock, or was it switched after the deal?

That is a real peach.
Pulled the ole' switcharoo. Started as an auction opening at $99, no reserve if I remember correctly, and ended within a matter of hours at $800.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default My business law is quite rusty but . . .

. . . if consideration (payment sent and accepted) is made, hasn't a binding and enforcable deal been made (whether item has shipped or not is irrelevent)?

I'm not the buyer either, and have lost out on a much needed autograph due to auction ending early, but I'd be a tad upset if I had made payment at an agree upon price, only to have the seller reconsider after accepting payment. Wouldn't you be miffed if the seller pulled that on you?

Just my position.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 09-05-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

. . . if consideration (payment sent and accepted) is made, hasn't a binding and enforcable deal been made (whether item has shipped or not is irrelevent)?

I'm not the buyer either, and have lost out on a much needed autograph due to auction ending early, but I'd be a tad upset if I had made payment at an agree upon price, only to have the seller reconsider after accepting payment. Wouldn't you be miffed if the seller pulled that on you?

Just my position.
Vincent,
Sure I would, especially if I had pulled a mild heist - but I would get over it. BTW your scenario has happened to me (more than once), that's why I hate sellers ending auctions early but it is a way of life.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Dan Bretta

I emailed the seller and told him he lost close to $2,000 by ending the auction early. I also sent the link to this thread so he would believe me.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:24 AM
Mike H.

I think the seller should complete the deal they agreed to. There is nothing more unprofessional than having a deal accepted then cancelled or receiving an offer to sell only to have it retracted. They probably purchased the pennant for $10 in the first place, so a huge profit is being made. Just my two cents.

Last edited by mjkm90; 09-06-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:17 AM

I agree. In this type of circumstance, I think the seller should finish his transaction that he has agreed to. It does suck to have an item that you wanted vanish, but that is part of the ebay world.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Jeff

That's what the seller did and believe it or not the pennant had no bids when it was cancelled. With what it was purchased for I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in an auction in the near future. Then we can see how much money was left on the table.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Default pennant

I never saw the pennant, but if something pops up that I really want, I always throw a starting bid on it when I find it. I still manually snipe items, but when a seller sees at least it has the starting bid, I think he/she is less likely to end it early. Not to say it doesn't happen.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Dan Bretta

I personally don't care what the seller does, but I'm sick of seeing auctions ended early. I don't engage in that kind of underhandedness and it makes me mad when it happens to an auction that I want badly. I very easily could have interfered with a deal on some Nebraska Indians postcards that were mixed in with other postcards. One of them I'd never seen before. They were being auctioned on ebay by an antique store that had their phone number listed on the auction...when it ended early I called them and they told me who they were selling to. I just said thanks and hung up. Now I wish that I had interfered.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Early teens, no doubt about it. Beautiful pennant and still a great deal at $1100.