NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2022, 11:45 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Anybody Noticing PWCC weekly auction content and sales $$$'s?

So for about two months now, I have concluded that PWCC has again shot itself in the foot with their constant changing formats....the 20% BP on their weekly auction they recently instilled, along with all the other BS, appears to have taken it's toll on the quality of consignments they have been getting. Seemingly very low quality throughout. Also, I see some bargains even to be found at times. Strange, compared "to the old days" !!!
Old 02-21-2022, 11:51 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
So for about two months now, I have concluded that PWCC has again shot itself in the foot with their constant changing formats....the 20% BP on their weekly auction they recently instilled, along with all the other BS, appears to have taken it's toll on the quality of consignments they have been getting. Seemingly very low quality throughout. Also, I see some bargains even to be found at times. Strange, compared "to the old days" !!!
Well it is a good thing they are not under an active federal investigation for shill bidding and card altering. Imagine what that might do to their business!
Old 02-21-2022, 12:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am not saying I would never bid with them but I haven't in years. I don't think I have looked at more than 2 of their auctions since leaving ebay. I am not a registered member with them...and now if they have a 20% buyers penalty I am very much less likely.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:02 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
I have noticed the same, especially compared to some of their offerings in November/December. I collect Brooks Robinson. When I searched for “Brooks Robinson”, I was underwhelmed by the quantity and the quality of the listings.
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 02-21-2022, 12:08 PM
Jason B.

I was shocked to see them tack on a 20% BP to even their run-of-the-mill weekly auctions a little while ago. Really tone-deaf as to their position in the market now.

Their first couple of auctions after leaving eBay featured some weaker prices compared to market, but much less so now. And the BP absolutely kills it.

Worst of all, their website format makes browsing the auction almost impossible. Really slow and laborious. Unless you have very narrow tastes and can search for what you want (T206, e.g.), it's just not worth the time and effort.

As this probably meets criteria for a critical post, here you go (j@$on B!$pin&)
|
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 02-21-2022, 12:13 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
I was shocked to see them tack on a 20% BP to even their run-of-the-mill weekly auctions a little while ago. Really tone-deaf as to their position in the market now.

Their first couple of auctions after leaving eBay featured some weaker prices compared to market, but much less so now. And the BP absolutely kills it.

Worst of all, their website format makes browsing the auction almost impossible. Really slow and laborious. Unless you have very narrow tastes and can search for what you want (T206, e.g.), it's just not worth the time and effort.

As this probably meets criteria for a critical post, here you go (j@$on B!$pin&)
|
+1 Agreed. as other mentioned as a result I do not even bother looking anymore

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-21-2022, 01:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Are they still charging consignors or have they just shifted to an AH model of making their cut from the BP? Either way I don't see why it's a deterrent, just bid 20 percent less, in theory everyone else should be doing the same.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:09 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Are they still charging consignors or have they just shifted to an AH model of making their cut from the BP? Either way I don't see why it's a deterrent, just bid 20 percent less, in theory everyone else should be doing the same.

I have zero stake in the matter, as I don't think I've ever used them for anything, but that's exactly what they are doing.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/submit

Don't know how else an auction house is supposed to make money. You either have a Buyers Premium, or a Consignor's fee, or a combination of both.......there's really no way around that.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I have zero stake in the matter, as I don't think I've ever used them for anything, but that's exactly what they are doing.

Don't know how else an auction house is supposed to make money. You either have a Buyers Premium, or a Consignor's fee, or a combination of both.......there's really no way around that.
As we've discussed a thousand times, a high BP should trouble consigners, not bidders. Just bid accordingly.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:13 PM
Chase

Quote:
Remember the last time you discussed this? LOL. Anyway, there are some who play by those rules and others who just want to win and really do not care or even realize they are overpaying. Assuming they are not being run up, they may not in fact even be overpaying just because they paid more and could pay more. The present market is not measured by 20% vigs and sales tax for many who just showed up to the party.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Remember the last time you discussed this? LOL. Anyway, there are some who play by those rules and others who just want to win and really do not care or even realize they are overpaying. Assuming they are not being run up, they may not in fact even be overpaying just because they paid more and could pay more. The present market is not measured by 20% vigs and sales tax for many who just showed up to the party.
Then those guys are going to win under any system. You can't beat a price-indifferent bidder in any circumstance.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:57 PM
Chase

Quote:
Then those guys are going to win under any system. You can't beat a price-indifferent bidder in any circumstance.
Well it is not every auction and every lot but there is much more of that happening today, I think. Was not saying you were wrong at all. Just saying the rules are not applying across the board any longer.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Well it is not every auction and every lot but there is much more of that happening today, I think. Was not saying you were wrong at all. Just saying the rules are not applying across the board any longer.
Chase, you may be right, but even so what's the worst that happens if you bid x/1.2? You lose, so what? Not a reason not to bid. The outrage people constantly express about BPs just seems completely misplaced. As though they're being forced to pay more.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-21-2022 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:22 PM
Rob G.

Slightly OT, but this is in their current auction ... how old is the PSA label, with "VG 4"?

Old 02-21-2022, 02:25 PM
J@E R1T0

Besides the whole card altering & regrading scandal, which did cause me to lose confidence in Brent & PWCC, their product line has diminished, their sticker proclaiming a top tier graded example, which was ingenious at the time (like coin slab stickers), now holds absolutely no value, given that at least few of those stickers were put on altered cards, and lastly, their website stinks! The site is slow and denies access to anyone with a VPN. Its the 21st century, many of us use VPNs, especially when conducting business online, like buying a $10K card.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 02-21-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:41 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Slightly OT, but this is in their current auction ... how old is the PSA label, with "VG 4"?

That's a type 1 original, issued in 91 & 92, pretty rare to see actually.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-21-2022, 02:57 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am not saying I would never bid with them but I haven't in years. I don't think I have looked at more than 2 of their auctions since leaving ebay. I am not a registered member with them...and now if they have a 20% buyers penalty I am very much less likely.
This.

I don’t even think to look at their auctions. They have been out of sight, out of mind I guess.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:03 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Pwcc

Their auctions were huge. Where do you think the consignors went? My guess is a good amount went to Probstein and Greg Morris. Any other ideas?
311-407 PSA 6
Old 02-21-2022, 04:08 PM
Jeremy W.

Their consignors have a multitude of options available these days. Your guess is probably correct, if they're in a hurry.

Last edited by JeremyW; 02-21-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:14 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
The outrage people constantly express about BPs just seems completely misplaced.

Whenever I read someone railing against BP or condemning an auction house for it, I immediately wonder what other simple things in life they can't grasp. As you say, if every bidder is paying it, it doesn't matter at all. Now, if some bidders are being allowed to skate on the BP or are being given reduced rates, that's another story.

Bidders should be more pissed that some bidders in auctions are charged sales tax and others aren't (based on the state in which they live). Now that's the uneven playing field they mistakenly think BP is. And even that isn't the fault of the auction house but rather rules set up by the government.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:22 PM
Jeremy W.

To BRoberts point, I'm guessing that the individual states are amazed at the amount of money that Ebay & other auction houses are sending them in sales tax. Personally, I've never concerned myself with the buyer's premium as a buyer, only as a seller.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:24 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

That's really interesting to see their reimbursement structure to Consignors, which looks attractive in all honesty.

My initial surprise in PWCC changing to a 20% BP was not out of resistance to that idea generically -- I think most of us on the board see the huge value that the traditional AH's bring to the table.

Mostly, I found it striking that PWCC -- who painted themselves as ever the innovators in the hobby -- are now taking a very conventional, cookie-cutter approach to their business. And that's at a time when they presumably have a lot to lose in terms of their relevance in the hobby.

They're doing what a dozen others AH's have already been doing for decades, at a time when their fall from Ebay really would have befitted them taking a more aggressive approach to retain the momentum and interest they'd built up via Ebay over the years. Instead, I'd say others have stepped in to fill the void. The excitement around REA's auctions amongst the PreWar collectors groups that I'm in very much feels like the heyday of PWCC on Ebay now, for example.
|
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 02-22-2022, 04:31 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger View Post
That's really interesting to see their reimbursement structure to Consignors, which looks attractive in all honesty.

My initial surprise in PWCC changing to a 20% BP was not out of resistance to that idea generically -- I think most of us on the board see the huge value that the traditional AH's bring to the table.

Mostly, I found it striking that PWCC -- who painted themselves as ever the innovators in the hobby -- are now taking a very conventional, cookie-cutter approach to their business. And that's at a time when they presumably have a lot to lose in terms of their relevance in the hobby.

They're doing what a dozen others AH's have already been doing for decades, at a time when their fall from Ebay really would have befitted them taking a more aggressive approach to retain the momentum and interest they'd built up via Ebay over the years. Instead, I'd say others have stepped in to fill the void. The excitement around REA's auctions amongst the PreWar collectors groups that I'm in very much feels like the heyday of PWCC on Ebay now, for example.
|
Bingo. They have relegated themselves to an afterthought. I have attempted to bid on the new site. I find it clunky and cumbersome. As big as they were, you would have thought they would have invested in a kick ass auction site.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:05 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
As with a lot of things, they made this complicated. As easily as I can describe it, the 20% buyers premium they charge is "shared" with the consignor, depending upon the ending bid amount.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:12 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Different take than most here.
I purchase cards weekly from them. Low end Items that I consider a "steal", for $10-$20.
As far as their platform, I think its good.
Sure makes bidding easy for me as I can bid on up to 96 items at once.

FWIW, been dealing with them for years with absolutely no issues... not one.

That being said , I did pull all of my higher end stuff out of the vault.
Now in a Safety Deposit Box and insured w/ collect insure.
Thomas
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 02-22-2022, 10:30 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Frankly I dont care what steals may be had. I prefer to do business elsewhere

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-22-2022, 10:44 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I have found their offerings to be so unimpressive that I don't even look at their listings anymore. It doesn't help that the website is horrendous.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-22-2022, 11:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

I wonder if the vault business is declining proportionally to how their auction business seems to be declining.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:06 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I agree that the inventory at PWCC is pretty weak. And there have definitely been quite a few cards that sold well below market value (hence the weak inventory). Although most of what I've been tracking over the past 2 weeks seems to have done better than prior weeks/months, but that could just be due to variance. It'll be interesting to see how things go from here. I'm completely indifferent to the 20% buyer's premium model though. It makes no difference to me. At the end of the day, it's the same cost to the buyer. The only thing that matters is for the sellers and how much of the final sale amount they get back. As for the website, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I think it's by far the best auction site online in terms of user experience with finding cards, seeing high def scans from multiple angles, sorting, filtering, descriptions, etc. And the recent bids bar across the top is awesome too. It's not even close for me. PWCC is miles ahead of the competition as far as the website goes. Nearly everyone else is using the same ancient software that, at best, just gets the job done.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:02 AM
octavio ranzola

I use net 54 im loyal. Terrific cards here . Run well and great folks.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Once or twice I’ve searched their website for the 3-5 players I primarily collect and have been stunned at the bottom feeding aspect of what they are offering. People have moved on. Say what you want about Probstein, month after month he has interesting stuff. Heavily tilted towards modern but does regularly have nice vintage, and I’ve even purchased an occasional rare photo from him.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:52 AM
Jeff Willi@ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Frankly I dont care what steals may be had. I prefer to do business elsewhere
that sentiment is probably why there's still steals
Old 02-23-2022, 07:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Chase, you may be right, but even so what's the worst that happens if you bid x/1.2? You lose, so what? Not a reason not to bid. The outrage people constantly express about BPs just seems completely misplaced. As though they're being forced to pay more.
I am not sure where you saw all of the outrage? Personally, I said I am much less likely to bid with them with the 20% BP. Why? Because there are some of the best AHs around that advertise here and charge the same. Between ebay, our BST and Net54 advertisers, that is where about 98% of the few bucks I have to spend goes. It might just be a principle thing for me too.

Last edited by Leon; 02-23-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:29 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fanatic View Post
that sentiment is probably why there's still steals
Sadly, I'd wager I'm in the minority. The shills must have run out of fire power.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-23-2022, 10:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am not sure where you saw all of the outrage? Personally, I said I am much less likely to bid with them with the 20% BP. Why? Because there are some of the best AHs around that advertise here and charge the same. Between ebay, our BST and Net54 advertisers, that is where about 98% of the few bucks I have to spend goes. It might just be a principle thing for me too.
People have been complaining about BPs since I started reading this board. And I don't know why. It's a non-issue except for consignors. If consignors don't want to give up 20 percent to PWCC and would rather give it up to an AH, I get that. But it's just a math calculation for a bidder.

Maybe outrage is an overstatement for this thread, but posters did state the 20 percent BP would cause them not to bid. And I'm like, why?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-23-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:03 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
People have been complaining about BPs since I started reading this board. And I don't know why. It's a non-issue except for consignors. If consignors don't want to give up 20 percent to PWCC and would rather give it up to an AH, I get that. But it's just a math calculation for a bidder.

Maybe outrage is an overstatement for this thread, but posters did state the 20 percent BP would cause them not to bid. And I'm like, why?
I agree. All premiums are paid by the consignor. If an auction house offers 19% buyer's premium all that means is that the consignor gets 1% more than usual.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:19 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I agree about the principle... 20% BP at quality AHs like REA or LOTG is one thing, but PWCC? That's like McDonald's instituting a compulsory valet parking policy. And on top of that, they want to keep your cards!!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-23-2022, 12:20 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Shhh. Some of us like it when other bidders remove themselves from the action.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

I feel like if they kept the initial format coming from eBay like they did for the first couple weekly auctions they could have maybe stood out in an appealing way to the newer generation of buyers.

“Not your grandpa’s auction house, what you bid is what you pay.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:31 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The current bunch of T206s in their current weekly auction is a far cry from yesterday. Pure dog poop.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:59 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Shhh. Some of us like it when other bidders remove themselves from the action.
lol. "Please do not tap on the glass."
Old 02-23-2022, 02:11 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPadre View Post
I feel like if they kept the initial format coming from eBay like they did for the first couple weekly auctions they could have maybe stood out in an appealing way to the newer generation of buyers.

“Not your grandpa’s auction house, what you bid is what you pay.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Problem is, when you're competing for consignments with auction houses that dominate the market, and use a certain model, it is VERY hard to use a different model. Consignors, despite trying to explain to them that a higher commission and a lower BP that is the same total rate as a lower commission and a higher BP, seem to only hear the commission number.

So if you have a model that charges a combined total of 30% but it's broken down 20% commission 10% BP you will lose consignors that you could get by reversing those numbers.

I know it's stupid, but it's true.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions