NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Default Selig is now officially the Anti-Christ

Posted By: TBob

His statements tonight that he still thinks the Twins should be contracted (despite one of the best attendance increases in the league) despite leading their division by 17 frigging games, because their winning is just "an abberation", solidly puts him number one ALL-TIME on my **** list of morons and jackasses in any sport or any profession. He now replaces Saddam and Bin Laden for this Twins fan and about a couple million Minnesotans.
This neanderthal who is unethical as hell (his daughter owns the Brewers and gee wouldn't Milwaukee and Wisconsin benefit from the absence of a team in Minnesota?) will hopefully be slapped with a RICO criminal warrant before the Twins ever set foot outside the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
You know, ESPN, CNN, SI, and every major media outlet drones on ad nauseum about the NY Yankees, Red Sox, LA Dodgers, etc while dismissing the fact the Twins are closing in on not just the best record in their division but in ALL of baseball. They are young, they play as a team, they are underpaid, they sign autographs for the kids after games, their owner wants to get rid of them, and they are the feel good story of the summer. If they played anywhere else (well maybe not KC) but anywhere else, they would be THE story week after week. As it is you have to wait until the last 5 minutes of Baseball Tonight to see their game. Oh the frigging Angels and damn A's are frothed over as are the Cardinals, Mets, even the frigging Sammy Sosa Cubs. Oh by the way, Twins win 5-4 in the bottom of the 10th, now lead their division by 17 games. How about the Lacrosse scores Peter?
Sorry for the rant, it's been brewing for a long time and THAT is why I had no sympathy for the baboon ass getting booed at his own home park at the All Star game...

Old 08-05-2002, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Contraction order should be Tampa Bay, Montreal, Florida, and Milawkee. The strike killed Montreal as a baseball town. I hope the players keep this in mind when they consider striking.

I liked what SI wrote this past week - Nolan Ryan for Commish!!

I'm no fan of Selig either, but I've still got Bin Laden and Saddam higher on my "list".

Regards

Old 08-05-2002, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

ever since he stole my beloved Pilots out of town mere days before Opening Day in April of 1970. The man is a stooge. I never thought there could be a commissioner who would be worse than Bowie Kuhn, but Selig takes the cake. I do agree though that he ranks somewhere down the list from Osama and Saddam, however.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...immoral indignation to have been passed over and NOT even given as much as a dishonorable mention on the "Most hated list" along with my colleagues in pandemonium, Saddam, Bin Laden, and Bud! I feel like Buggs Bunny in the Game Commissioner's Office arguing, "50 bucks for an old moth eaten bear and only TWO CENTS for a rabbit?!?!?". OK, down to brass tacks, gentlemen. WHAT will it take to rise to the head of my class? How about if I run ANOTHER auction with the Pro Mantle?

Old 08-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

is an insult to the anti-christ. At least the devil has some credibility.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nolemmings (Todd)

TBob, I've posted before as to what a miscreant Bud selig is and has been. If anyone took a minute to analyze what spews out of his pie-hole, they would see his utter lack of credibility. The Twins are an aberration, he says. But they contended last year and will contend for the next few--even if they lose a player or two to free agancy. Their formula of building from the farm and adding some reasonably priced free-agent pieces is or will be the model for more than half of the franchises. Yet Bud wants to squelch that approach by saying its an abberation, i.e. it cannot work. What better way of saying that you must have bucks to pay free agents and run up your payroll in order to compete- no other approaches will be tolerated. That being said, how/why should we believe that its the players who are greedy and that owners deserve sympathy, when the owners' hand-picked toady basically insists that you must spend,spend, spend?
Still and despite selig, the Twins need to get their stadium deal done. Their attendance is actually down a smidge, at least that's what the Star-Tribune reports. Minnesotans are a proud bunch--their legislators hike taxes and tell them how to spend money and they generally follow like sheep. An outsider tells them what to do/how to spend and they rebel almost out of spite. This latter trait makes me proud to have grown up there. In any event, the right deal needs to be finalized, soon and from within.
As for me, I'll be there next week to watch the Twins play the Orioles in the Dome. I hope to make it an annual pilgrimmage.

Old 08-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and what's wrong with Selig?

Old 08-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

last year the Twins took a nose dive in the second half and attendance plummeted. This year the A's, O's, Red Sox, etc. are all coming to town and with the big lead, attendance will be much higher than even last year. Based on last year's figures and this year's figures, the Twins are at the top percentage wise as all the other teams are losing fans like mad from last year. As strike talks continue, look for general overall baseball attendance to continue its downward spiral but the Twins will easily hit 2 million this year (if no strike), wait and see!

Old 08-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

to label a Jewish person as the "Anti-Christ?" That doesn't seem right.

Tell you what, let's call him the Fuhrer over the Major League Baseball Nazis!

On second thought, maybe not...

It just seems funny that after all the talk in the days after Sept. 11 about how baseball is just a game, and it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, (because the terrorist attacks placed the game in its proper perspective) that a bunch of men who are paid very well to play a child's sport are back to kvetching over money.

But I suppose a person who makes 40 grand a year isn't going to understand why they feel cheated. OTOH, I don't understand why management is so hell-bent on driving the fans away.

Old 08-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

beer.