NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Default Value increases and decreases

Posted By: Dave

Obviously its just a matter of opinion, but curious on what folks think these more common sets will do over the next five years or so....

T205 Gold Border
T3 Turkey Red
T206 White Border
E90 American Caramel
N172 Old Judge

would these increase in value? decrease? stay relatively the same? my own thoughts would fall like this....

T205 decrease
T3 increase
T206 stay about the same
E90 increase
N172 stay about the same

Old 11-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve b

I see on the PSA-SMR website the higher grades are going up. Does anyone know the 2007 book prices for these? Thanks

Old 11-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

...are gonna skyrocket!

Old 11-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jim loewke

I see T202 gaining in value versus the T205. The end cards are just as pretty (the same?) and you get a bonus middle picture. Also, the back gives you a nice little bio about the center panel. Still relatively affordable when comparing a T202 with Cobb end panel, to a stand alone T205 Cobb. I see the T201 creeping up slightly as it is a small set and can be completed. Not the prettiest card but it can deliver a sense of accomplishment. It would be very impressive if the E cards kept increasing in sales prices. Sleeper set would be the Sporting News M101-4,5 cards. Real photo shots and has all the stars, reasonable number of cards for a completable challenge. Only problem is that you don't see them nearly as often as the T206 cards.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Jim,

Your comments and reasoning for the increase in cost of T201 cards is right on target (IMO). The T201 cards aren't hideous but they're also not the prettiest cards out there.

T206 is like a gold standard (bellwether) among common vintage cards. I think if we see the price on T206 truly trending lower then we may also see a lowering trend of other vintage cards (with true scarce issues not completely following the trend).

Remember, this stuff is only card board. As a nation we've gone from a saving nation to a credit nation. At some point in time markers are going to get called in and this stuff isn't exactly what I'd consider essential to sustaining life. If this stuff dumps in price I'll be one of the happier people out there because then I can pick it up cheaper. Lets clear out the speculators and suckers. The above comments are my opinion. If you disagree that's fine. If you want to call my opinions the blatherings of a blithering fool then that's your choice, but at least use a nice tone when insulting me

Old 11-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You blathering fool . I had to do that....

On a serious note about the topic we will always go back to price is set mostly by supply and demand. There also has to be 2 people bidding in an auction to get to that "high" price. Recently I got a safety deposit box although my cards at my house were almost in Fort Knox anyway. My concern was a fire. I literally watched the bank being built, right down the street from me, where my (valuable) cards are at now. It is made of steel and brick, not wood. As I was looking at my collection, and deciding what ones to bring up there, it dawned on my that I couldn't afford to buy a lot of the cards anymore. They have just gotten too expensive. With that said the really rare stuff will continue to be gobbled up by people that don't worry if a gallon of gas is $2.00 or $5.00.... They have enough ego and/or money to buy what they want.... If they want the best, and there are only 1-2, they will pay...Other things, more available, might go up and down but the really rare stuff will continue to do well, imo.....

Old 11-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve b

The honus wagner cards other than of course the T206. While everyone was looking at the T206 all the other honus cards were left out to dry. I wish i could go back in time.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I personally feel that the cards that do not look like the player they are suppose to will cool off and fall back (many caramel issues). Most E cards for years were considered unattractive by collectors and thus not sought after keeping the prices down, I believe that will happen again at some point.

T206s are the standard and will continue to take the lead in the vintage market, nice looking obtainable cards that have endless ways of being collected.

T205, are underappreciated right now. Probably the nicest looking vintage card with stats and bios.

T3's are becoming the rich man's collectable, tough to find a decent looking one under $100. So that man cause them to became devalued as they become forgotten by us with less disposable income.

Lee

Old 11-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

When we have these discussions about the future value of vintage cards nobody seems to take the state of the economy into account. We know the very wealthy will likely weather any storm but what about the proverbial middle class? How would a weakened economy affect the average collector and consequently the middle of the pack cards that typically transact?

Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

Some went crazy while others only increased $5- 10 on the VG side.
Clearly the NM stuff went up quite a bit.

I have available an Excel spreadsheet created from the 2007 SCD numbers that shows T205 prices from 2006 to 2007 for anyone interested. Just Email, thanks, Matt

Old 11-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

My guess is that all the sets you mention will increase in value gradually, with the HOFERs/tough cards in each set appreciating at a faster rate than the others. The number of graded cards is likely to grow which will also push prices up.

These sets are all well known popular sets unlikely to become suddenly "trendy" and spike up dramatically. I don't really see any price decreases as likely given their popularity and the likely continuous increase in the number of vintage collectors with "maturing" tastes. I could not have predicted 25 years ago what I would be buying today.

N172 is such a huge set and has a number of subsets, i.e. HOFers, portraits, Brown's Champions, etc. A couple of collectors with deep pockets who simultaneously develop a lust for graded cards in one of these subsets could cause a dramatic price spike while leaving the price of a "common" unaffected.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Supply and Demand!

Those are fairly common sets (except N172), and there will always be a good supply of (low to mid grade) cards available, so the value will be held to a more reasonable price, except the extremely high grade cards.

Also multi-player cards are not as popular overall, so in less demand.

Big jumps will be the Very Rare Type Cards and 1910 era "E" sets (25-50 in set size), as anyone who has followed prices in the past 5 years knows very well.

If a set can be completed in a few months with less than 50 cards, there is a high demand for these (1910 "E" cards).

If a rare type card is only offered 1-2 times a year, there will be more of a fight for it. If a common card is offered 10 times a week, who fights?

With new collectors getting into PreWar everyday, and the splurge $$ some people have, the rare ones will always go up.

I still see G/VG T205/T206 commons at $10-$20 ea, the same as I did 15 years ago.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I forcast a change in hobby focus. I see that the yuppies have found that they indeed can afford their mini-mansions, and now are looking for trendy pick-ups. Among other things, these pick-ups include entire graded sets of the cards which you mentioned. And I forcast a continuance of entire set purchases for the forseeable future.

Ok, they let me type one thing, now its back to the straight jacket for a while.