NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Can someone do this?

Would love to see authentication guides here that help members spot fakes. See example below. Want guides for all the common fakes out there, like the ones in the 2nd photo. Also include blowups of certain areas to show the printing process used in fake/real.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fakes2.jpg (73.6 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg Fakes3.jpg (76.0 KB, 774 views)

Last edited by rdwyer; 04-06-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Pretty informative FYI.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Kyle May

I would pay good money for one of these guides.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I would pay good money for one of these guides.
Same Here!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Not trying to be negative but I have thought the same thing prior. I came to the realization that a printed tome would be outdated quickly other than showing common fakes that experience will quickly help you identify. Those fakes on the second photo are made to trick rookies or modern collectors just starting in vintage. The good fakes are the hard ones.

Internet searches will provide the same information and can be updated quickly to reference new items that pop up all the time. Much like the fake slabs that have arose in the past few years to get people to not critically look at the cards within.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:26 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Not trying to be negative but I have thought the same thing prior. I came to the realization that a printed tome would be outdated quickly other than showing common fakes that experience will quickly help you identify. Those fakes on the second photo are made to trick rookies or modern collectors just starting in vintage. The good fakes are the hard ones.

Internet searches will provide the same information and can be updated quickly to reference new items that pop up all the time. Much like the fake slabs that have arose in the past few years to get people to not critically look at the cards within.
The thing I don't like, although I like knowing as much as possible too, is with these types of things, imo, it just teaches the scammers, fakers and cons what areas to improve on or change in order to not get detected.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Ben North

I highly recommend this book to everyone. You need to read the entire book and about every card in it. This will give you an amazing understanding on several of the methods used and what to look for. I know everyone likes to think things have changed but in reality these are still the way counterfeits are made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Sportsc...gAAOSwoJZXRerJ
Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Bill Gregory

The best way to learn to spot fakes, in my opinion, is just going to be handling the cards themselves. For rarer issues, obviously, this will be more difficult (i.e. Texas Tommy cards). But for ones like T206, Goudeys, etc...,get some beaters , and study them. Look at them up close under a great loupe. Handle the cards, and get used to how they look up close. Guides are great, but nothing will ever beat practical experience. Buy from reputable dealers. Do your due diligence. And know what you are collecting. Augment that knowledge gained from hands on experience, sure. But guides should always be a supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Net 54 Archives

http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/c...ivecenter.html

Click on this link, then scroll to the bottom for some good info.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default fakes

This is very helpful. It is pretty old, but it contains some good info. You should be able to find them on Amazon or eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake.jpg (78.2 KB, 378 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Rather than reading entire books, I'd rather compare between the two. See first picture. What I'd like to see is pictures of real and fakes cards with pointers of what to avoid. Besides, if we had pictures of all the most counterfeited card with pointers no one would have to ask if it was real or not again. I like to see a section for authenticating fakes.

Last edited by rdwyer; 04-07-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Rather than reading entire books, I'd rather compare between the two. See first picture. What I'd like to see is pictures of real and fakes cards with pointers of what to avoid. Besides, if we had pictures of all the most counterfeited card with pointers no one would have to ask if it was real or not again. I like to see a section for authenticating fakes.
Yes but the reality of a book like that would be difficult. There are so many different ways of counterfeiting and detection that each card would be a chapter long. With Bob Lemkes awesome book if you read the entire thing. With all the cards listed in there you will have a very good idea of what to look for with several types of counterfeits.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Never saw that before...could be interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I highly recommend this book to everyone. You need to read the entire book and about every card in it. This will give you an amazing understanding on several of the methods used and what to look for. I know everyone likes to think things have changed but in reality these are still the way counterfeits are made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Sportsc...gAAOSwoJZXRerJ

Last edited by Leon; 04-11-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

[QUOTE=the 'stache;1648558]The best way to learn to spot fakes, in my opinion, is just going to be handling the cards themselves. For rarer issues, obviously, this will be more difficult (i.e. Texas Tommy cards).

Great, great advise. The more you can examine the genuine item the more likely you are to spot the fake, if you can get up close and personal with the card. I am still bleeding from buying a Wolverine News Cobb, subjecting it to everything but an electron microscope. I submitted it at the National and Scott delivered the blow, saying it was a very, very good counterfeit and nearly had fooled him. Ouch. My own private agony.