NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new SGC flip/case? You can select more than one answer.
Overall I like the new SGC flip/case 68 34.00%
I like the new black label 36 18.00%
I like the new large numbering system 19 9.50%
Overall I don't like the new SGC flip/case 52 26.00%
I don't like the new black label, I miss the green label 36 18.00%
I don't like the new large numbering system 61 30.50%
I could care less 27 13.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Default Poll: New SGC Cases

*Note the last poll option should say "I COULDN'T care less"

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 08-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 PM
bR!@N R0+H

New cases? Pics?

Greenberg collection
Old 08-08-2018, 10:22 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Here are some pics. Post any if you've got 'em. Love to hear people's opinions on this pretty radical shift. No more iconic SGC green and much bigger numbering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hyExj6j.jpg (63.9 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg 5cFtYUC.jpg (77.4 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1838.jpg (71.0 KB, 540 views)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

The new flips are actually growing on me. I don't mind the black ones, I didn't like the colored ones when I saw them but haven't seen many examples yet. And I really don't like the white one for the autos. But the black doesn't bother me any more.

I don't like the huge numbers though. I'm still not in favor of those. When I first saw the initial thread about the changes and the pics that were posted then, I absolutely hated the change. So I'm pretty glad that I'm not as bothered by them any more.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The last choice within the poll may be confusing to people, as to this point nobody has chosen it. It reads "I COULD care less", which actually means you do care to some extent.

If it read "I COULDN'T care less", then it would indicate that you truly don't care. I believe that's what the OP meant to convey, but perhaps he can clarify.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 PM
Bob Andrews

I like them overall but like a lot of folks, I think the huge number detracts from the appeal. But seeing as I don't collect very many graded cards and have only done a couple of submissions I'm really not the target market.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:59 PM
je.sse @rnot

If you could care less that means you do care. The last option should be I couldn't care less.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:43 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

I don’t mind the large numbers although I liked the dual number on the old flips. The green made them standout but I’m fine with black. What I don’t love are the autograph flips. For some reason the big A doesn’t look good to me. I’m also not worried about consistency in my flip labels expect I have an entire player run autographed (that I want to display) with the red flips and I had one left to submit. This will stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

I never thought the quirky numbering system made any sense, so I think the move to a more standard system is good. I really don't care what the flip looks like.

Do people plan to get all their cards reholdered?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-09-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Do people plan to get all their cards reholdered?
Not me. I already allocate too much money to grading that could be spent otherwise. No need to spend more money on new holders. 15 years from now when they change again do you reholder again? Seems crazy to me.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Not me. I already allocate too much money to grading that could be spent otherwise. No need to spend more money on new holders. 15 years from now when they change again do you reholder again? Seems crazy to me.
Agreed. I understand the uniformity aspect for some collectors, but all I care about are the authentication & protection aspects of TPGs. I'd rather allocate any reslab money to more cards.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 08-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Bob McLean

If I said they have a certain Broder like appearance would you hate me?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

It doesn't matter to me in the least. This flip is just as ugly as the rest of them. If I had to design one, the front would have nothing but the year and name of issue. The name of the player is on the effing card. All the grade info, serial number, etc would be the back as it is ugly and technical and heavily detracts from the card, imo.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 AM
J3ff Thr0m

These are phones the SGC office uses when answering your calls.

EF2E532B-6B61-424C-901F-820E0347AECF.jpg
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The last choice within the poll may be confusing to people, as to this point nobody has chosen it. It reads "I COULD care less", which actually means you do care to some extent.

If it read "I COULDN'T care less", then it would indicate that you truly don't care. I believe that's what the OP meant to convey, but perhaps he can clarify.
Correct. That was a typo. It should say "I couldn't care less." Thanks for spotting it.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:17 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I don't particularly care what the flip looks like. I care more about accuracy and consistency in the grading process.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Default Uniformity

What I think gets lost in the "uniformity" complaints is that there won't be any uniformity if they don't market themselves better to the modern card market. If the company goes away you will have no one to complain about "uniformity" to, the decision will be made for you by fate.

If you really want SGC to stay around you should be happy they are making an attempt to grow their market.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Dale
Da.le Pi.ke

The only thing that changed is the labels. The holders are still the same.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket9 View Post
The only thing that changed is the labels. The holders are still the same.
for the moment from hat I heard...the holders WILL be changing I believe.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Paul

I don't fault SGC for trying to improve their product, but I do wonder how much the holders were holding them back from growing their market.

Here's the evolution of signed T206 cards encapsulated by SGC over the past 10 years:

Bridwell Portrait With Cap Auto SGC 40

Bridwell_No_Cap_SGC_Auth

Lajoie_Batting_SGC_A

[INSERT NEW SGC FLIP]

The frequent changes and inconsistency in overall presentation just since 2008 is really aggravating. If I had invested in a reholder at any of these stages, I'd still be stuck holding a bunch of outdated holders. Why would I invest in reholdering them all now when we can fully expect SGC to make additional tweaks at this pace going forward? The answer is, I won't.

But, I sure wish they were all in the same consistent holder. At some point I may just dump them all into PSA, where there has been a near identity of holder since the very beginning.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Jason Wells

Works for me.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Danny Gr|mes

I really don't mind the new look.. it's very up to date, breaking a tradional uniform approach. I'm just used to the green labels, I thought it made the card and holder pop, but the new look, black on black will do well imo. This combo made 1960s muscle cars very popular as well as mean & tough looking.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:40 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Here's my take on the new SGC flips.

Why get rid of the iconic green slabs? Literally millions of SGC flips are in people's collections with the iconic green. Green was (is?) their identity. Throwing in a black label (and a silver and gold in higher levels) will stick out like a sore thumb in everyone's green SGC collection. Uniformity is important to a lot of collectors...and SGC has a lot of loyal collectors.

Why such massive numbering? It's as if the designer got sick of using their reading glass and said screw it, let's make the font as big as possible. I'm all for using the single digit grading, but the numbering is comically big. All your eye goes to right away when you see the new slabs is that giant number. Is that really what you want people to see? Like look, it's a giant 2!

My opinion. Go back to iconic green in the grades lower than a 6. Go silver labels for 7-8, and gold labels for 9-10. And lower the font size of the number grade.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default what he said......

" If I had to design one, the front would have nothing but the year and name of issue. The name of the player is on the effing card. All the grade info, serial number, etc would be the back as it is ugly and technical and heavily detracts from the card, imo."

I asked SGC early on about this in like 1995(?). I was summarily brushed off. I agree x 100 with Conor. I will say as someone who is a bit OCD and a bit OMG - I would prefer the uniformity in my early sets that would be upheld by the old label. Single types wouldn't as much of a problem. My disability not so bad that I will ever re-holder my cards. SGC is my grader of choice (I have graded and ungraded cards) so I guess I have to take the good with the bad. The number does feel a bit over pronounced as I don't think the label should be the star at any point.

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 08-09-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM
J1m C0chran

I agree with just about all of the negative comments, but Thromdog's giant phone post was the funniest.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:36 AM
octavio ranzola

not my cup of tea
Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Fred

What I hope is that the "new" SGC grades any hand cut cards as A (auth). If it's a Zeenut without the coupon removed then it's a card that can have a numeric grade. If it's a strip card or card with a coupon removed, then it gets the A grade.

ARE YOU LISTENING SGC???
Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
" If I had to design one, the front would have nothing but the year and name of issue. The name of the player is on the effing card. All the grade info, serial number, etc would be the back as it is ugly and technical and heavily detracts from the card, imo."
Some issues don't have names on the card such as the '48, 50, and 53 bowman sets. There are probably others. I would think people would like the grade of the card to be on the front. Especially at a card show, I wouldn't want to ask the dealer what the grade of a card is every time I see something I'm interested in. Dealers get busy at times assisting other customers and it's easier to just scan through their table knowing what the grade is rather than wondering if it's graded "A" or has a numerical grade. I wouldn't want to wait half an hour for the dealer to finally get to me and then realizing the card is altered.

For what it's worth, I like the green border on the SGC flips better. Wished it didn't have the perforation though. I agree with everyone that the grade is way too large a font.

Jerry Lem
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl79 View Post
Some issues don't have names on the card such as the '48, 50, and 53 bowman sets. There are probably others. I would think people would like the grade of the card to be on the front. Especially at a card show, I wouldn't want to ask the dealer what the grade of a card is every time I see something I'm interested in. Dealers get busy at times assisting other customers and it's easier to just scan through their table knowing what the grade is rather than wondering if it's graded "A" or has a numerical grade. I wouldn't want to wait half an hour for the dealer to finally get to me and then realizing the card is altered.

For what it's worth, I like the green border on the SGC flips better. Wished it didn't have the perforation though. I agree with everyone that the grade is way too large a font.

Jerry Lem
I suppose this is a good point for the .00001% of all card transactions that happen at shows.