NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-25-2023, 08:53 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Default Victor Wembanyama

Anyone else excited for his debut tonight? Certainly the most hyped rookie since LBJ and he seems to be the real deal.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

From highlights, he's ridiculously mobile for someone his size. Hopefully he won't get Ralph Sampson disease and think he's a point guard.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:34 AM
Dave

He'll be a legit superstar if he can stay healthy. Unfortunately, all the physical tools that make him unlike any other player in existence, also make him vulnerable to long term injuries.

NBA season is very long, especially if your team makes the playoffs. He'll always be a microfracture away from missing significant time.

Maybe present day rules will benefit him. He might be a shot-blocker, but he'll never be an big inside banger and I think he'll be boxed out of a lot of rebounds.

Best case is an even taller, rangier Kevin Durant, with the shot blocking (but not rebounding skills) of Hakeem or Mutombo.

Worst case, we see lots of great highlights when he plays, but he becomes a part-time phenom, like a Yao Ming or Joel Embiid.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:40 AM

I don't think he's really an injury risk like the prototypical big men are. He's very tall but he's more Kevin Durant than Greg Oden. I don't think his body is carrying an oversized frame. Freak injuries are freak injuries but I don't think he has a bad body like a lot of big men do.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:58 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think he's really an injury risk like the prototypical big men are. He's very tall but he's more Kevin Durant than Greg Oden. I don't think his body is carrying an oversized frame. Freak injuries are freak injuries but I don't think he has a bad body like a lot of big men do.

That's what I'm hoping. I'd still like to see him fill out a bit, but in the modern NBA, it may actually help him that he's not carrying much extra weight on his joints and tendons.

They will have to pair him up with another big man to do the dirty work inside, as I don't think he's going to be hoovering up a lot of rebounds.

Looking at the Spurs roster right now, it doesn't look too promising. Hopefully they don't ask him to do too much right away. I do think he ended up in the best organization with the best coach to help nurture him along the way.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:02 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
That's what I'm hoping. I'd still like to see him fill out a bit, but in the modern NBA, it may actually help him that he's not carrying much extra weight on his joints and tendons.

They will have to pair him up with another big man to do the dirty work inside, as I don't think he's going to be hoovering up a lot of rebounds.

Looking at the Spurs roster right now, it doesn't look too promising. Hopefully they don't ask him to do too much right away. I do think he ended up in the best organization with the best coach to help nurture him along the way.
They signed Zach Collins, who will probably start at C with Wemby at the 4.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-25-2023, 10:14 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
They signed Zach Collins, who will probably start at C with Wemby at the 4.

Sorry, but unless Collins makes a giant leap forward this year, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:50 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Sorry, but unless Collins makes a giant leap forward this year, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
He's not a star player by any means, but he did improve last year with career highs in pretty much every category. The guy to watch besides Wemby IMO is Devin Vassell. Could be a star in the making also
Old 10-25-2023, 11:04 AM
James M.

I've seen a lot of highlights of the kid, I definitely think he will be good for the league.

On the whole, nowadays, I find it very difficult to enjoy the NFL and the NBA, however, from a style of play standpoint. Both leagues have "sold out" for offense. No hard defense can be played in either situation, as they have fine tuned the rules in both leagues for an offensive explosion.

Everything, the slightest touch nowadays, is a foul. Similarly in the NFL, penalties are called for hits now, that 20 years ago would not have been an issue. The rules have been entirely skewed to the offensive side of the football.

My ranting aside, and back to the original point, I think he will be the next big player, we haven't had a prospect hyped like this, for basketball, in a long time, and I'm interested to see where he goes.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:13 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I am looking forward to watching them and the season in general.

He looks like a beast among men.

He has all the potential in the world and could be a super star. But he needs the right cast of players around him for his team to be a factor and to enhance him and the biggest thing is his health. If he can stay healthy he will be enjoyable to watch for years. If not he could be a what if.

Zion is on the border. Been hurt to much but when he is healthy he is a beast and can dominate a game

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-25-2023, 11:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Why do I keep thinking Ralph Sampson?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:57 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why do I keep thinking Ralph Sampson?

Similar builds. Sampson was damn good before his knees started to give out on him.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Similar builds. Sampson was damn good before his knees started to give out on him.
He really was I remember him at UVa.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:47 PM

This picture should tell us something about his defensive prowess. When he reaches his prime he'll be able to guard anyone on the court.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg victor.jpg (187.2 KB, 272 views)
Old 10-25-2023, 04:57 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Go Jazz!
Old 10-26-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I've seen a lot of highlights of the kid, I definitely think he will be good for the league.

On the whole, nowadays, I find it very difficult to enjoy the NFL and the NBA, however, from a style of play standpoint. Both leagues have "sold out" for offense. No hard defense can be played in either situation, as they have fine tuned the rules in both leagues for an offensive explosion.

Everything, the slightest touch nowadays, is a foul. Similarly in the NFL, penalties are called for hits now, that 20 years ago would not have been an issue. The rules have been entirely skewed to the offensive side of the football.

My ranting aside, and back to the original point, I think he will be the next big player, we haven't had a prospect hyped like this, for basketball, in a long time, and I'm interested to see where he goes.
Completely agree on all fronts. If he played 30 years ago, guys like Charles Oakley and Anthony Mason would put him in the hospital.

This said, he looks like he will be fun to watch in today's NBA.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:17 PM
CJ

Wemby is going to be amazing. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, I think he'll be an all-timer.

He took a big leap from summer league to the regular season, and another leap from just game 1 to game 2.

Dude's legit.

And he's incredibly wise and mature for 19. Go listen to his ~1 hr interview on JJ Redick's podcast from earlier in the summer. Absolutely no ego, won't get caught up in stupid stuff, eager to be coached by Pop, etc.

Yeah, he's have gotten crushed in the 80s/90s/early 00s. But, it's 2023. He's going to play the 4 for a few years, and he'll feast.
Old 10-30-2023, 12:05 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof View Post
Wemby is going to be amazing. Assuming he doesn't get hurt, I think he'll be an all-timer.

He took a big leap from summer league to the regular season, and another leap from just game 1 to game 2.

Dude's legit.

And he's incredibly wise and mature for 19. Go listen to his ~1 hr interview on JJ Redick's podcast from earlier in the summer. Absolutely no ego, won't get caught up in stupid stuff, eager to be coached by Pop, etc.

Yeah, he's have gotten crushed in the 80s/90s/early 00s. But, it's 2023. He's going to play the 4 for a few years, and he'll feast.

I agree he has the potential but to say he will be an All Timer with the small sample size might be a little premature.
He needs to stay healthy and he needs to perform and he needs to perform for approx 15 years.

But I am excited to watch him perform

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-03-2023, 08:47 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

38 and 10 last night. This guy is special!
Old 11-04-2023, 09:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
38 and 10 last night. This guy is special!
Agreed he is special and I hope he stays healthy and keeps it up for the next decade plus.
Always love seeing the greats perform and compete against other greats in the league.
But with his size the worry is always the health.
But I enjoy watching him so far

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-04-2023, 11:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

He looks like a strong breeze would knock him over lol.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:19 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
He looks like a strong breeze would knock him over lol.
They'll get him in the weight room. Soon he'll be looking like Joel Embiid!
Old 11-09-2023, 07:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

last night against Knicks
4 for 14 (with 0 for 4 from) 3) for 14 Points and 9 rebounds and 1 block
3 night ago agains Indiana
3 for 12(2 for 5 from 3) for 13 Points and 10 Rebounds and 2 Blocks

Rough little stretch and it shows their is a learning curve and adjustments to play in the NBA.
He needs to bulk up a bit and continue to learn and adapt and he will be good. How long to potential greatness unknown but so much upside and has the right coach and system to learn in to maximize his potential.
Also on one of the youngest teams in the league so will be fun to watch them all grow together

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-09-2023, 07:20 AM

People keep saying he needs to bulk up while also saying he needs to avoid injury. When I think of the big men who lost their careers to injury, they were bulky.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:47 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
People keep saying he needs to bulk up while also saying he needs to avoid injury. When I think of the big men who lost their careers to injury, they were bulky.

Maybe "strengthen up" is a better term. He needs to be more Hakeem Olajuwan, or Dikembe Mutombo, and less Ralph Sampson/Shawn Bradley/Manute Bol.

It's fair to be concerned about his future health and strength level, since those are really the only things to be tremendously concerned about with him. For his age, he is waaaay ahead of the curve skill-wise, for a multi-dimensional big man in the NBA.

Chet Holmgren is another similar build with a somewhat similar skill-set, who already missed his entire Rookie season with a Lisfranc injury.

Fortunately he's come back from that and is putting up some impressive stats so far this year. Maybe not as dynamic or with as high of a ceiling as Wemby, but I'd like to see him continue to stay healthy for the duration also.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:01 AM

I'm most interested in seeing whether Wemby brings back the Kevin Garnetts to the NBA. Which would be great.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

LOL
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...00-at-auction/

Old 11-23-2023, 04:52 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Yikes. He did put up a nice line last night - 22pts 15reb 3ast 3blk 1stl
Old 11-23-2023, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

So how does someone come into possession of his jersey anyhow?

Old 11-23-2023, 05:59 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
So how does someone come into possession of his jersey anyhow?
Look for a long one.

a long 1 like this

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-25-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:21 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Chet Holmgren is another similar build with a somewhat similar skill-set, who already missed his entire Rookie season with a Lisfranc injury.

Fortunately he's come back from that and is putting up some impressive stats so far this year. Maybe not as dynamic or with as high of a ceiling as Wemby, but I'd like to see him continue to stay healthy for the duration also.
I haven't seen Wembanyama play yet, but my wife and I have a 10 game ticket package for the Thunder and I have seen Holmgren both in person and on TV. Don't sleep on him. Small sample size, but so far this season he has a significantly higher shooting percentages than Wembanyana, including shooting over 43% from 3.

He'll also need to add some bulk. We saw the Thunder play the Pelicans and Holmgren got absolutely manhandled by Jonas Valančiūnas.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 11-24-2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:26 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
I haven't seen Wembanyama play yet, but my wife and I have a 10 game ticket package for the Thunder and I have seen Holmgren both in person and on TV. Don't sleep on him. Small sample size, but so far this season he has a significantly higher shooting percentages than Wembanyana, including shooting over 43% from 3.

He'll also need to add some bulk. We saw the Thunder play the Pelicans and Holmgren got absolutely manhandled by Jonas Valančiūnas.
Yeah, Holmgren is definitely looking great. I'm jealous - OKC is a super fun team to watch right now. (More than the Spurs!) SGA is playing like an MVP candidate.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:01 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post

Yeah, I'd give Holmgren the edge in ROY right now. He's been getting good reviews defensively also, from what I have seen.

Wemby really needs to up his shooting% to be truly effective as a big man. He's only 19, so he's got plenty of time to develop. Nobody expects him to shoot like Kevin Durant right away........except maybe the guy who payed close to a Mill for his jersey.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:07 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Another solid outing from Wemby last night, but man the Spurs are bad. I'm guessing they are going to tank again this year.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:27 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Another solid outing from Wemby last night, but man the Spurs are bad. I'm guessing they are going to tank again this year.
I'm hoping the Blackhawks do the same this year......over der in da NHL eh?