NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-14-2023, 12:39 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Default Meanwhile, in Yankee world...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ns-free-agents

Trade Stanton? Sure, if any team would want him, which I'm not sure they would.

What would it take for Cashman to finally get shown the door? It seems like it's time.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-14-2023, 01:15 PM

I agree. I'm not really sure what else has to go wrong for the Yankees to move on from him. Cole was a great signing, it was smart to move Chapman for Gleyber just to get Chapman back again anyway, but when I think of the rest of his legacy as a GM I can't help but get caught up in landmines like Carl Pavano, Jacoby Ellsbury, trading Mark Melancon for Lance Berkman, trading for Javy Vazquez (TWICE!), trading for Jeff Weaver....
Old 11-14-2023, 05:17 PM
Dave

They are stuck with Stanton, unless they just eat the rest of that contract. They got him for a bowl of jello and a can of whip cream to begin with, when he was actually still good and coming off an MVP season, because of his contract and questions about his long term health.

Only way they can actually trade him is to do an NBA type deal and package a top prospect (do they have any besides Dominguez?) with him, throw a bunch of money at the other team to cover most of the contract, and take a lifetime major/minor league journeyman who has run out of options in return.

He's Chris Davis 2.0 at this point. Orioles had to just swallow a few years of that contract also.

Yankees have been horrid at developing their farm system for awhile now.

Even with lucking into Aaron Judge at the end of the 1st round of his draft class, he only started to figure out major league pitching after finding his own hitting instructor outside of the organization.

Severino was a stud for a couple of years, but they can't keep him healthy, and I'm not sure he's got anything left...and as I say that, he'll probably go play for somebody else next year and be a Cy Young contender again.

Hopefully Volpe can make a big step up with his plate discipline next season.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:34 PM

He made a big mistake trading Montgomery too. We loved Monty. Now he has a ring at least.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:35 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Yes
1. Cashman should go
2. Yankees are stuck with Stanton unless they eat approx 60% plus of the contact and in a trade they will have to send prospects to incentify teams to take him
3. They just need to either abosrb his contract which they will not or at least make him a part time player as a role player coming off the bench.
3. Montgomery TRade was a mistake.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-15-2023, 08:21 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
He made a big mistake trading Montgomery too. We loved Monty. Now he has a ring at least.

Traded him for a regularly injury plagued guy in Harrison Bader.

....and replaced him in the rotation with Frankie Montas.

I swear, Cashman never checks injury histories for anybody. The list of players starting with Jacob Ellsbury, who were so obviously unavailable on a regular basis, and had tons of red flags before he even brought them in, is nearly endless.

He loves "High Ceiling, when available...or 5 years younger" players.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:34 AM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Traded him for a regularly injury plagued guy in Harrison Bader.

....and replaced him in the rotation with Frankie Montas.

I swear, Cashman never checks injury histories for anybody. The list of players starting with Jacob Ellsbury, who were so obviously unavailable on a regular basis, and had tons of red flags before he even brought them in, is nearly endless.

He loves "High Ceiling, when available...or 5 years younger" players.
Let's not forget Rodon... To me that already feels like another Ellsbury contract.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 11-15-2023, 09:17 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Let's not forget Rodon... To me that already feels like another Ellsbury contract.

Oh, I didn't forget. Cashman did though.

I'll give him another season though, to see if 2021-22 were the outliers, or if 2023 and every season before 2021 were the outliers.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:23 AM

Bobby Bonilla might be available
Old 11-15-2023, 10:05 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Bobby Bonilla might be available

He'd be an upgrade. At least he can't actively hurt the team on the field.

Giancarlo Stanton and Carlos Rodon are basically 50 Bobby Bonilla's on the team next year, while also taking up a roster spot as negative value players.

Not to mention Anthony Rizzo and DJ LeMahieu aren't exactly guaranteed to play full seasons either.

I'd trade Stanton for Bobby Bonilla tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't think the Mets are that thick in the head for that to happen.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:30 PM
J@mes In.gram

Only way for the Yankees to improve:

Find a way to get rid of Stanton

Find a way to get rid of Cashman

Find a new owner - George Steinbrenner is rolling in his grave the way the son runs things

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***