NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Hollywood Park Show

Posted By: ErikV

I'm wondering whose planning on attending and on what days? I'm hoping to make it there for Friday and Saturday.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Friday is a no-go due to work commitments and traffic issues.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

Saturday morning for me. I gave up going Friday nites, too many dealers not set up, and nothing to poach that wouldn't be there the next morning.

Old 09-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Bad news folks. That means that fellow collectors are going to have to wait until Saturday to hear more Hurricane Katrina jokes from Adam.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

I'll be there all day Saturday, and am planning on going for all of Friday as well.

I'm busy poaching stuff Anthony is not interested in.

BTW, several of us are getting together at 9 a.m. at Norma's (LaBrea and Century) for breakfast. More are always welcome.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Been real busy lately and my grandmother landed in the hospital so I will have to miss this show (first time in a few years). What I will miss most is the interaction with some of my favorite dealers (Trevor, Paul, Robert, etc.) and Net54 friends (Trevor, Adam W., etc.)

Oh yeah...if Trevor is reading this and sets up next to Paul...tell him "Joshua knows he owes you $35 still"

Joshua

Old 09-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I didn't think I had enough time to go, but I did. There wasn't that much that I was interested in, but I did pick up a few interesting strip cards.

1920 W516-1 Tris Speaker PSA 5
1920 W516-1 Rogers Hornsby PSA 6
1920 W516-1 Eddie Cicotte ungraded EX (I passed on a PSA 4 that looked worse)

1921 W516-2-2 Strip #21 through #30 (Bancroft to Ciccote, also includes Mathewson and Eddie Collins)

Old 09-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

cmoke?

Old 09-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I might do it once I get the cards scanned. But the PSA Registry is more fun when there is a lot of people involved, such as the Goudeys. Putting a set in a registry when very few people will ever look at your set is not nearly as interesting or fun. But if I submit any cards to a grading company, it will probably be to SGC - they seem to have a more submissions on strip cards and their holders are much better looking for these small sized cards than PSA's holders. So the combination of PSA and SGC cards doesn't fit well in one registry. And I'm not cutting up the strip. So from my point of view, it's not that interesting to use the registry for these cards.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

The show is dying, and I think all shows in general are. Fewer and fewer of the big name dealers are coming anymore. I did run into some of the board members like Adam Warshaw as well as hung out with Anthony Nex and a few others. Even my eleven year old son knows that eBay is the place to spend his money now as he walked away with nothing purchased at the show.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 09-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Did manage to make an appearance late Saturday eventhough I said I was not going to...

Not a ton of stuff there and Trevor did not come...missed a few Net54 members by a couple of minutes according to some dealers.

I did manage to buy three standard biscuit cards for $8 each in beat condition but still a decent price for those.

-Joshua

Old 09-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

The modern card dealers at the show seemed to be taking a bath - nobody wants most of what modern card dealers had to offer - at any price. When you're finding manufacturer-certified autographed cards in quarter boxes, you know that modern has 2 levels: red hot and ice cold. Very few cards qualify as red hot. Most of the modern card dealers' activity came from deals with other dealers.

Post-war (WWII) vintage seemed to be colder than I ever remember it before, at least for Topps and Bowman cards - not many were buying or even looking beyond specific wantlists (probably because eBay is the way to go there). There was more activity for dealers with pre-war cards, although a lot of it appeared to be window shopping.

I had a couple true vintage pickups - a pair of T218 boxers - as well as some post-war vintage (R423s and '50s/'60s Topps/Bowman/Fleer), but spent most of my time buying shiny stuff cheaply. Interestingly, eBay is often no longer the way to go on these cards - a card with a Beckett High price of $20 that's no longer a hot issue often sells on eBay for $0.99 plus $2 shipping, so it becomes worth a dealer's while to put a price tag in the $2 to $3 range on it at a show - he nets more and the buyer pays less.

I saw some interesting items being submitted to Mastro for consignment, including a group of autographed Goudeys ('33 Mancuso on top) - these were then being sent out for slabbing and authentication.

SCD had a table set up, and were giving out free copies of a couple of their magazines, including a SCD supplement that had a vintage minor league card price guide.

I hope shows do not die altogether. Much of what I go to a show for simply cannot be replicated on eBay, and message boards don't have the personal element.

Nick