NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Kev1n @1les

Thanks for the update. I am driving over tomorrow from Pittsburgh. I went in '14 and to AC in '16. The AC trip was a disappointment as I felt that I got through everything in half of a day. I was trying to decide if I wanted to deal with tolls, gas and admission to look at cards at nose bleed prices. I finally relented as I figured it would be no different than going to the baseball hall of fame - as I will look at my favorite cards and memorabilia and take some pictures.

How things have changed for me... In '14, we did two days with a hotel mixed in. I took the boys. We had backpacks full of stuff to trade or sell (we didn't end up getting rid of anything and ended up taking it back to the car and putting it in the trunk). I bought a few things that I didn't need at prices that I justified by the fact that I had the cards in hand.

I didn't even go to the Strongsville or Pittsburgh shows this year. I am in a unique spot where the want list right now is narrow but not rare - so they are always available, it is just a matter of when I want to pull the trigger.

1952 Bowman (prefer a graded Mantle)

1970's Football and Basketball Sets
Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Tony Conte

Thank you for an excellent write-up!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Garth Guibord

Fun read, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2018, 10:08 AM

My annual reminder of why I won't go back to the national until they bring it back to the West Coast. BRING BACK ANAHIEM!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 08-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Great review...please keep them coming.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Ne@l K

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I was there from 10-7 yesterday. The Cleveland floor/food/spacing is significantly better than Chicago and Baltimore Nationals. While the IX Center is not attached to the airport or any hotel, it's five mins away and not a problem to get back and forth. I'd pick Cleveland ahead of the other cities just for the actual floor walking experience. The hotels are dumps but adequate if you're mostly there to see cards. Nearby restaurants are fine+ for dinner.

I didn't see much extraordinarily different material than what I'm used to from other Nationals but pretty much you can find something you want or need.

Just picked up a couple of items: a Seattle Pilots ashtray which I'm giddy about and this Hoss Radbourn Red Stockings Cigar card from Glen Mechanick who, year in and out, has the most interesting cards/material on the floor and is a pleasure to speak to and deal with (a pearl before swine in the dealer pool).

Spent some time with Brian Dwyer of REA who is a serious, hard-working dude. Head and shoulders ahead of what you'd expect from an auction house owner these days, Joe T and Dan McKee who are always great to see, and Deplorable Dewolf who took me out for some great dinners. I'm looking forward to next year in Chicago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radbourn red stocking.jpg (67.8 KB, 1055 views)

Last edited by calvindog; 08-02-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Mike

Do you have to be a dealer to set up at the National or can a collector set up and sell parts of their collection ?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:40 PM

What do you mean? If you want table space you'd have to pay for it. If you see someone at a table advertising that they're buying, you're free to see if you can make a sale.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Jason Wells

I agree with bounce. I have been a fan of Tim's card artwork from afar and after seeing him working on a sweet Thome for myself I have to say im very impressed. I will have to sacrifice some extra cards one day and purchase one of those masterpieces. Any guess who the subject/card would be??