NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,086
Default T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps...where are they?

As time goes by and the internet matures even more we continue to validate how scarce some items are. It seems the thinner the card stock the more likely the population is small, which makes sense. That being said we almost never see T330-2s for sale. What gives?
This is swiped from my good friends at OldCardboard-

Produced by Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company in 1914
Stamps used to promote L&M's Piedmont cigarette brand
Colorful player image with white-bordered front
Player poses parallel those used in T205 Gold Border set
Backs printed with Album offer (in exchange for 25 coupons)


My only one ....If anyone would like to show one or some, it would be nice to see them?

__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 PM
Jeffrompa's Avatar
Jeffrompa Jeffrompa is offline
Jeff Lowe
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 480
Default

Been awhile . Maybe a year since I've seen some on eBay .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Tao_Moko's Avatar
Tao_Moko Tao_Moko is offline
Eric S.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Floyd, VA
Posts: 765
Default

Tough series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.6 KB, 897 views)
__________________
"Chicago Cubs fans are 90% scar tissue". -GFW
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Bridwell's Avatar
Bridwell Bridwell is offline
Ron Rice
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 671
Default T330-2

Here's most of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 21 2015 pics T330-2 a.jpg (53.6 KB, 875 views)
File Type: jpg 11 21 2015 pics T330-2 b.jpg (51.2 KB, 877 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 PM
autograf's Avatar
autograf autograf is offline
Tom Boblitt
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,897
Default



Also issued for the NONsports stamps as Chesterfield. Anyone ever seen the BB in Chesterfield format? I have not. I have (3) BB and about 80-100 of the NONsports from the 6 different sets. Cool 'cards'. Love them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 AM
canjond's Avatar
canjond canjond is offline
Jon Canfield
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,371
Default

Wish I had a better copy, but my only one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.9 KB, 848 views)
__________________
For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2016, 01:41 AM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,009
Default Fragile Artwork

For some reason the creators of the Piedmont art stamps decided to include William Killifer in the set, with artwork (unlike all the other stamps) not seen in the T205 set. The same goes for a couple players on the end panels of T202, Joe Wood and Walter Blair. Thus a combined scan I have used in the past featuring T205 artwork not seen in the T205 set. I just gave the T330-2 checklist a scan and both Blair and Wood are part of the set as well.

Piedmont Art Stamps are cool, and rarely seen. I think I have noticed 3 or 4 on ebay since the beginning of the year.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205art258.jpg (77.0 KB, 848 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 04-22-2016 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Added Blair and Wood stamp info
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-23-2016, 09:43 PM
T206Jim's Avatar
T206Jim T206Jim is offline
J1m Ch@pman
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 606
Default

They are incredibly fragile, but given their beauty "Art Stamp" truly describes them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bender-art-stamp.jpg (68.0 KB, 760 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM
ValKehl's Avatar
ValKehl ValKehl is offline
Val Kehl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manassas, VA (DC suburb)
Posts: 2,155
Default

I have this Marquard in my type collection. Some years ago, I also had this Bender stamp, and I sold it to a Board member; however, it disappeared in transit (the USPS did pay the insurance claim); if anyone should happen to come across this one, please LMK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T330-2Marquard-front.jpg (47.3 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg T330-2Marquard-back.jpg (67.2 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg T330-2Bender-front.jpg (55.5 KB, 683 views)
File Type: jpg T330-2Bender-back.jpg (66.9 KB, 687 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 PM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

Long time collector but new to this forum...have about 40 Piedmont stamps...dont see many available...this is my favorite

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Hankphenom Hankphenom is offline
Hank Thomas
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 886
Default

Thin stock, glue on the back, no wonder not many are still around. I had a WaJo once, wish I still had it. They are really pretty.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:09 PM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

I agree...they are really beautiful when found in nice condition...I also collect and feel the same way about the T205 set

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:15 PM
kdixon's Avatar
kdixon kdixon is offline
Kenny
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 911
Default

My only one .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8148.jpg (68.2 KB, 474 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

A few of mine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:56 AM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

Some more

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:00 PM
arcadekrazy arcadekrazy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wherever I happen to be
Posts: 242
Default

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914 Piedmont Art Stamp Speaker [Front].jpg (77.8 KB, 409 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

The rest

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:10 PM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

Forgot these

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:13 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

beautiful Piedmont Art Stamps you have there. Those have great eye appeal for such a condition-sensitive set!
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM
cdn_collector's Avatar
cdn_collector cdn_collector is offline
Richard A.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 533
Default

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not alone here. I used to own a Gibson art stamp, but let it go about 10 years ago. I've been back collecting Gibson for maybe the last 5 years and haven't so much as seen one, let alone for sale.

I had no idea they were this tough.

I also had no idea they came in Factory 25 and 42 designations, so I've learned that now, too, today. Thanks oriole70 for the extra labels on your examples for drawing my attention to that.

For those that have 'em, thanks for posting scans. I've never seen so many in one place. They are nice to look at.

Cheers,

Richard.
__________________
Check out my George Gibson player collection.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

Mr. Gibson, for your viewing pleasure. For what it's worth, I haven't seen a Factory 42 of Gibson yet, but I'm sure there's at least one floating around out there.

__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 08-07-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:03 PM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,201
Default

And absolutely gorgeous display of Piedmont art stamps
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM
btcarfagno btcarfagno is offline
T0m C@rf@gn0
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 3,094
Default

Anyone ever seen the art stamp album advertised on the back?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:17 PM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

I have never seen the album

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:31 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

There was one sold at Legendary Auctions many years ago. There was a link posted on this forum (in a different T330 thread), but the Legendary website is down (for obvious reasons). Anyone have the image of that album or can somehow find the archive of that Legendary site/Auction?

Link to thread
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=T330

Link to Auction
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...entoryid=45399
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 08-07-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:04 PM
cdn_collector's Avatar
cdn_collector cdn_collector is offline
Richard A.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Mr. Gibson, for your viewing pleasure. For what it's worth, I haven't seen a Factory 42 of Gibson yet, but I'm sure there's at least one floating around out there.
Thanks for sharing Derek!

I went back through my old collection to see if by some chance, my old stamp was a P42, but it's impossible to tell. There is either paper on the back of the stamp, or actual paperloss, but either way, it's the bottom left corner, so all I can see for the factory designation is 'ist. Va.'

In the end, another Gibson variation to checklist, which, I always appreciate


Richard.
__________________
Check out my George Gibson player collection.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
Thanks for sharing Derek!

I went back through my old collection to see if by some chance, my old stamp was a P42, but it's impossible to tell. There is either paper on the back of the stamp, or actual paperloss, but either way, it's the bottom left corner, so all I can see for the factory designation is 'ist. Va.'

In the end, another Gibson variation to checklist, which, I always appreciate


Richard.

VA is Factory 25. NC is Factory 42. Your old one was a Factory 25.
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:49 AM
BosseFieldBoy's Avatar
BosseFieldBoy BosseFieldBoy is offline
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 147
Default

Here's my lone contribution - a banged up but beautiful Cicotte. Available for sale on my eBay site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cicotte Stamp.jpg (77.2 KB, 344 views)
__________________
EBay ID mjhenr02; eBay store name Swinging Buntís Vintage Baseball

Always buying and selling everything prewar, ESPECIALLY TY COBB, and also 1950s cards.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 AM
jeffmohler jeffmohler is offline
Jeffrey D. Mohler
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 109
Default

I am a casual postage stamp collector as well as baseball cards. Has anyone ever found these as part of a stamp collection? It seems to me that the Piedmont Art Stamps could have been included in a kid's postage stamp collection back in the day. I am guessing it would be easy to soak them out of an album, but obviously, I have never tried.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 PM
cdn_collector's Avatar
cdn_collector cdn_collector is offline
Richard A.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
VA is Factory 25. NC is Factory 42. Your old one was a Factory 25.
Duh. You're totally right. I literally looked *only* for the number and didn't compare any other part of the line. Seems embarrassingly obvious now

Thanks,

Richard.
__________________
Check out my George Gibson player collection.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:12 AM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,009
Default

T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps...where are they?

It seems like most are now on this thread...great show and tell everyone!


Brian
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 AM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

Bump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-15-2018, 02:01 PM
ruth-gehrig ruth-gehrig is offline
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,508
Default

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/mob...entoryid=16551
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16551a_med-1.jpg (17.1 KB, 340 views)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-27-2018, 10:45 AM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

These things are either tough or just not desireable or maybe a combination of both...I haven't added one to my collection in quite a while...an Ebay search just yielded a grand total of 3! I am interested in knowing the most different stamps anyone has been able to collect? Has anyone ever put together a set or seen one?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Sailingmachine's Avatar
Sailingmachine Sailingmachine is offline
Ronald P. Henry Murphy
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 81
Default

I've been seeking the Danny Murphy for my Murphy collection for years now. Hope I find one eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-27-2018, 01:50 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

I believe Dan Gantt had assembled the largest known collection of these and recently sold them all at REA. The collection consisted of 93 unique examples out of the checklisted 118.

I have "discovered" another unchecklisted variation, which puts the set total at 119. More to come on that topic.

After purchasing Mr. Gantt's Piedmont Stamp collection earlier this year and some follow-on purchases/trades, I currently have 109 of the 119 unique fronts, although I believe that some of the checklisted examples might not actually exist. More to come on that topic as well.
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-27-2018, 08:59 PM
orioles70's Avatar
orioles70 orioles70 is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 126
Default

Congrats!...That seems to be the only way to accumulate a large amount of these...purchase another collection...would love to see pics of them...after I got my 30th one years ago it seems I will never reach 40 which is still not even half a set

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

Regarding my prior post, the current checklist for the 1914 T330-2 Piedmont Stamps set does not include the two variations for Roger Bresnahan that can also be found in the T205 set - specifically, the Mouth Closed and Mouth Open variations:



This would put the set at 119 total (vs. the catalogued 118).

Additionally, there are seven catalogued stamps for which I have never seen an image. Of these, it is very possible that a few do not actually exist:
  • Bill Dahlen - Dahlen was out of baseball by 1911, and the makers of this set were fairly diligent in making team updates and removing players who were no longer playing by 1913/1914. This stamp is very unlikely to exist, despite being catalogued.
    Clyde Engle - started out playing with Boston in 1914; moved to the Buffalo (Federal League) team mid-1914; T330-2 probably does exist, per checklists; I just haven't confirmed yet
    William "Wilbur" Good - w/ Chicago Cubs from 1911-1915; T330-2 is likely (and catalogued)
    Chief Meyers - w/ NY Giants from 1909-1915; T330-2 is likely (and catalogued)
    George Moriarty - w/ Detroit from 1909-1915; T330-2 is likely (and catalogued)
    Freddy Parent - out of baseball by 1911; T330-2 is unlikely to exist, but is catalogued
    Kaiser Wilhelm - out of baseball from 1911-1913; joined Baltimore of Federal League in 1914; T330-2 is unlikely to exist, but is catalogued and is possible

Using the T205 and T202 sets as potential candidates - I've ignored players who were in the T205 set but were out of the majors by 1913 - here is a list of players who could have possibly had a Piedmont Stamp produced (although none have yet been catalogued):
  • Lena Blackburne - was w/ Chicago White Sox in 1914 but was in Milwaukee (minor leagues) for all of 1913 and most of 1912 after not playing all of 1911; T330-2 unlikely, but possible
    Walt Dickson - unlikely - was in Federal League w/ Pittsburgh in 1914; he was with NY Giants in 1910 (for his T205 card) and played in Brooklyn from 1912-1913; T330-2 is possible
    Bob Harmon - 2 Ears Show - he has the left ear example in the stamps set, so this one is certainly possible; the set shows him playing for Pittsburgh - he played there from 1914 to 1918. His T205 shows him with the St. Louis squad.
    Fred Jacklitsch - was in minors from 1911-1913; played for Baltimore of Federal League starting in 1914; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    John Kling - out of majors after 1913; didn't play in 1914; T330-2 unlikely, but possible if this was not known ahead of time
    Frank Lange - out of majors after 1913; T330-2 unlikely, but possible
    Bris Lord - ended career with Boston Braves in 1913; T330-2 unlikely, but possible if unknown that he would no longer be playing
    Albert "Lefty Leifield - no longer with CHC after 1913 - didn't play in majors again until 1918; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Charley O'Leary - final season was 1913 w/ St. Louis (after many seasons 1904-1912 w/ Detroit); T330-2 possible, but unlikely
    Orval Overall - out of baseball from 1911-1912; came back in 1913 but ineffective; out of baseball before 1914; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Edward Phelps - played sparingly in 1913 for Brooklyn; out of baseball before 1914; T330-2 possible, but unlikely
    Jimmy Sheckard - no longer in baseball following 1913 (splitting time with Cardinals and Reds) after long career with Brooklyn and Chicago; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Hack Simmons - minor leagues in 1913; w/ Baltimore of Federal League in 1914; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    John Titus - final season was 1913 with Brooklyn (decent stats); T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Doc White - final season was 1913 with Chicago White Sox; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Harry Wolter - no longer with NYY after end of 1913; out of baseball from 1914 until 1917; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely

My guess, based on the evidence presented here, is that there won't be any more uncatalogued Piedmont Stamps that surface in the future (unless a Bob Harmon w/ 2 Ears Showing variation decides to make an appearance). I'd love to get images of the front and back for any of the seven stamps that I have yet to see. Please share 'em if you've got 'em.
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 12-05-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,086
Default

Nice post, Derek. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Regarding my prior post, the current checklist for the 1914 T330-2 Piedmont Stamps set does not include the two variations for Roger Bresnahan that can also be found in the T205 set - specifically, the Mouth Closed and Mouth Open variations:



This would put the set at 119 total (vs. the catalogued 118).

Additionally, there are seven catalogued stamps for which I have never seen an image. Of these, it is very possible that a few do not actually exist:
  • Bill Dahlen - Dahlen was out of baseball by 1911, and the makers of this set were fairly diligent in making team updates and removing players who were no longer playing by 1913/1914. This stamp is very unlikely to exist, despite being catalogued.
    Clyde Engle - started out playing with Boston in 1914; moved to the Buffalo (Federal League) team mid-1914; T330-2 probably does exist, per checklists; I just haven't confirmed yet
    William "Wilbur" Good - w/ Chicago Cubs from 1911-1915; T330-2 is likely (and catalogued)
    Chief Meyers - w/ NY Giants from 1909-1915; T330-2 is likely (and catalogued)
    George Moriarty - w/ Detroit from 1909-1915; T330-2 is likely (and catalogued)
    Freddy Parent - out of baseball by 1911; T330-2 is unlikely to exist, but is catalogued
    Kaiser Wilhelm - out of baseball from 1911-1913; joined Baltimore of Federal League in 1914; T330-2 is unlikely to exist, but is catalogued and is possible

Using the T205 and T202 sets as potential candidates - I've ignored players who were in the T205 set but were out of the majors by 1913 - here is a list of players who could have possibly had a Piedmont Stamp produced (although none have yet been catalogued):
  • Lena Blackburne - was w/ Chicago White Sox in 1914 but was in Milwaukee (minor leagues) for all of 1913 and most of 1912 after not playing all of 1911; T330-2 unlikely, but possible
    Walt Dickson - unlikely - was in Federal League w/ Pittsburgh in 1914; he was with NY Giants in 1910 (for his T205 card) and played in Brooklyn from 1912-1913; T330-2 is possible
    Bob Harmon - 2 Ears Show - he has the left ear example in the stamps set, so this one is certainly possible; the set shows him playing for Pittsburgh - he played there from 1914 to 1918. His T205 shows him with the St. Louis squad.
    Fred Jacklitsch - was in minors from 1911-1913; played for Baltimore of Federal League starting in 1914; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    John Kling - out of majors after 1913; didn't play in 1914; T330-2 unlikely, but possible if this was not known ahead of time
    Frank Lange - out of majors after 1913; T330-2 unlikely, but possible
    Bris Lord - ended career with Boston Braves in 1913; T330-2 unlikely, but possible if unknown that he would no longer be playing
    Albert "Lefty Leifield - no longer with CHC after 1913 - didn't play in majors again until 1918; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Charley O'Leary - final season was 1913 w/ St. Louis (after many seasons 1904-1912 w/ Detroit); T330-2 possible, but unlikely
    Orval Overall - out of baseball from 1911-1912; came back in 1913 but ineffective; out of baseball before 1914; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Edward Phelps - played sparingly in 1913 for Brooklyn; out of baseball before 1914; T330-2 possible, but unlikely
    Jimmy Sheckard - no longer in baseball following 1913 (splitting time with Cardinals and Reds) after long career with Brooklyn and Chicago; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Hack Simmons - minor leagues in 1913; w/ Baltimore of Federal League in 1914; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    John Titus - final season was 1913 with Brooklyn (decent stats); T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Doc White - final season was 1913 with Chicago White Sox; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely
    Harry Wolter - no longer with NYY after end of 1913; out of baseball from 1914 until 1917; T330-2 is possible, but unlikely

My guess, based on the evidence presented here, is that there won't be any more uncatalogued Piedmont Stamps that surface in the future (unless a Bob Harmon w/ 2 Ears Showing variation decides to make an appearance). I'd love to get images of the front and back for any of the seven stamps that I have yet to see. Please share 'em if you've got 'em.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:23 PM
garymc's Avatar
garymc garymc is offline
Gary McNabb
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Towaco NJ, USA
Posts: 264
Default

I've been watching for a Yankee to add to my collection for a couple years and haven't found any.....really tough set !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Sterling Sports Auctions's Avatar
Sterling Sports Auctions Sterling Sports Auctions is offline
Lee B.
lee be.hrens
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 712
Default

I have a SGC graded Dahlen and Myers
__________________
Tired of Ebay or looking for a place to sell your cards, let SterlingSportsAuctions.com do the work for you, monthly auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM
midmo's Avatar
midmo midmo is offline
Justin
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 491
Default

I sold a couple to Derek so this is now my lone example:

__________________
I may have a few things listed on Ebay

76 successful b/s/t transactions
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:32 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
I have a SGC graded Dahlen and Myers
Iím shocked that Dahlen actually exists. He did manage the Brooklyn team until 1913, so I guess that puts him on the radar for the set. Would love to see images of front/back if you get a chance.

Thanks!
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Prince Hal Prince Hal is offline
Duncan
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 184
Default

This is my only one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hal Chase Art Stamp.jpg (65.8 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-08-2018, 12:17 PM
seattlerainiers's Avatar
seattlerainiers seattlerainiers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 305
Default Unseen Piedmont Art Stamps

Here are your previously unseen seven, Derek. Sorry for the bad pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piedmont Art Stamps.jpg (42.6 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-08-2018, 12:25 PM
seattlerainiers's Avatar
seattlerainiers seattlerainiers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 305
Default And BTW...

...Bresnahan looks like a younger Rex Tillerson. I rarely pass on a new doppleganger opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peiedmont Art Stamps, Bresnahan.jpg (44.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Tillerson.jpg (7.2 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-08-2018, 12:45 PM
brianp-beme's Avatar
brianp-beme brianp-beme is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
Here are your previously unseen seven, Derek. Sorry for the bad pic.
Nice fill in the gaps. 119 is an odd number...certainly there is another uncatalogued stamp out there to make the complete set 120.

I'm odd with my evens. I am still upset that the complete set of W574 cards is 29.

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 PM
h2oya311's Avatar
h2oya311 h2oya311 is offline
Derek Granger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
Here are your previously unseen seven, Derek. Sorry for the bad pic.
wham bam thank you m'am! Dave, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to spend some time comparing our collections of these tough little buggers. You're making me think that you have secretly assembled the whole 119(+?), especially since the seven I hadn't even seen before were all photographed in one single shot!
__________________
...
http://imageevent.com/derekgranger

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 195/325 (60.0%)
1911 T332 Helmar Stamps.................: 178/180 (98.9%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 109/119 (91.6%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 113/180 (62.8%)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:40 PM
ronniehatesjazz's Avatar
ronniehatesjazz ronniehatesjazz is offline
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
...Bresnahan looks like a younger Rex Tillerson. I rarely pass on a new doppleganger opportunity.
I also think that the Miller Huggins T205 looks strikingly similar to Bruce Willis
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps Leon Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 14 02-10-2015 11:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.


ebay GSB