NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the point that Fred was trying to convey with the large scans.

I'll go ahead and say it. To me, the Brown appears trimmed and the the Young appears to have re-colored corners. The borders on Brown are too thin and no way Young has that much border wear, but barely any wear on the corners.
The gold borders on T205 cards flake easily, and can be exclusive to corner wear. It is possible that the corners have been recolored.

Brian
Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM
FredYoung

Default Thanks Guys---

-----for posting your thoughts. I never will be as expert on old tobacco cards as are MANY here on N54, which is why I posted the larger scans.

Doesn't the huge white borders & bottom line printing on Brown look very funny & unreal to anyone? It doesn't seem to be close to the printing on my Brown.

Hope others chime in--I'm just trying to educate myself!
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Chuck Price

Sorry for your loss guy. You don’t normally see so many great looking cards in one collection, wish you supplied better pics. I could be wrong, but I’m not feeling the black ink the names were printed in.

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietheexterminator View Post
Sorry for your loss guy. You don’t normally see so many great looking cards in one collection, wish you supplied better pics. I could be wrong, but I’m not feeling the black ink the names were printed in.
Yeap.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Ethan

Default Group

Does the McGraw CJ look a bit long to anyone else? Maybe just the angle.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
----93 posts in the 1st day and a half and not a peep by ANYONE since I put up some scans yesterday? (Not even the OP).

I'm amazed & perplexed at the same time.
Thank you for the enlarged photos.

To give a little bit more information the writing on the bottom of the piedmont and sports life cards are more of a light/dark brown rather than a black. Idk if that helps? Both cobbs the speaker and the others have brown writing. The caramel plank has black writing on the bottom of the card.

On the Cy young card and the coloring of the corners, I looked at the gloss in the light and it all seems super consistent (the gold border) and the corners have slight wear to them so if they were colored I dont think there would be any white wearing to them at all? As one member said it looks like the gold border is fragile and prone to chipping as there are several slight "chips" in the border.

I could provide measurements on the brown card as well I really don't see any evidence of trimming the sides of the card look absolutely untouched, but I am absolutely no expert I have no clue.

I am still gathering a lot of information as the days go on as I talk with people to learn more about the cards and get ready to make the decision on grading or whatever the future is. Thank you everybody for looking, discussing and telling me your opinions. I really appreciate the enlarged photos too!!!!

Any more info regarding the cards I can provide just ask thank you.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-10-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
-----for posting your thoughts. I never will be as expert on old tobacco cards as are MANY here on N54, which is why I posted the larger scans.

Doesn't the huge white borders & bottom line printing on Brown look very funny & unreal to anyone? It doesn't seem to be close to the printing on my Brown.

Hope others chime in--I'm just trying to educate myself!
Not sure about the printing being any different. Same placement, color and position. My pictures suck, but the writing when im looking at it in my hands seems to match exactly especially the color. Your card has perfect side to side centering while mine is off by a decent margin. The up and down seems a little skinny and suspect on the top of the card because our bottoms look very similar in regards to spacing I do agree. I could measure my card pretty accurately. When I hold it on its side and look at the sides themselves I just dont see any evidence of trimming, but again I have no idea. Thank you guys.

Edit: I put the brown card on top of the green cobb card to compare sizes and it looks the exact same size if not a nano meter(idk what to call it) bigger. Both side to side and up and down seems to be same size. Again I have no idea if that helps or if it proves anything.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatehabitat24 View Post
Not sure about the printing being any different. Same placement, color and position. My pictures suck, but the writing when im looking at it in my hands seems to match exactly especially the color. Your card has perfect side to side centering while mine is off by a decent margin. The up and down seems a little skinny and suspect on the top of the card because our bottoms look very similar in regards to spacing I do agree. I could measure my card pretty accurately. When I hold it on its side and look at the sides themselves I just dont see any evidence of trimming, but again I have no idea. Thank you guys.

Edit: I put the brown card on top of the green cobb card to compare sizes and it looks the exact same size if not a nano meter(idk what to call it) bigger. Both side to side and up and down seems to be same size. Again I have no idea if that helps or if it proves anything.
What does that gold sticker on the case of the card of M Brown say?
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Good question.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
Good question.
It looks familiar but I just can't remember what it is. I PMed the OP for pics sent directly from their phone to my email. If they can do that it should be pretty easy to see what they are with full size pictures. Most cell phones take very high quality pictures. The ones that have been posted on here are good pics that have been greatly reduced in size.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM
FredYoung

Default here's one more----

---I can't get past how fantastic these edges & borders look, like no wear at all!

Where did your Father get his cards??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206 net54.jpg (69.3 KB, 931 views)
Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

The Evers looks short top to bottom for sure.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
It looks familiar but I just can't remember what it is. I PMed the OP for pics sent directly from their phone to my email. If they can do that it should be pretty easy to see what they are with full size pictures. Most cell phones take very high quality pictures. The ones that have been posted on here are good pics that have been greatly reduced in size.
Here is a copy.
Looks like magnetic corners or a screw down. Made for modern cards. So this T206 would float round and corners damaged, as the case was turned or moved. It would move around freely.
Just my take, and I hope, I am wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 811DA3E3-D451-463A-BDC0-F14970B11215.jpg (7.8 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpg 735DB5A3-949A-4BFD-AE1E-C23AB9AEC625.jpg (6.1 KB, 902 views)

Last edited by xplainer; 02-10-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
It says Goober's

Most of my fathers cards came from Cooperstown and auctions from what I know. He built most if not all of the collection before I was born.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

A quick check on google brings up yaz sportcards. Yaz, you want to jump in here? I know you are a member.
Please explain it all. What do you know about this guys dads cards?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
A quick check on google brings up yaz sportcards. Yaz, you want to jump in here? I know you are a member.
Please explain it all. What do you know about this guys dads cards?
Hi. I am here. If he says they were bought before he was born I am assuming 20+ years ago - probably sometime in the 80s or 90s. I have only had a store here since 2006. I had family in Cooperstown and spent a couple of weeks here every summer but I was a kid myself and don’t remember seeing anything like this. Probably likely that his dad picked up some items here and at the Albany shows at the Polish Community Center and he also mentioned auctions. But it’s before my time to know exactly where they came from.
I did send him a message with an offer to help if he was in the area. I carry card savers and can help him get a submission ready for psa, to determine which are appropriate for grading, give an estimate of value, etc. I haven’t heard back but the offer is still out there.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:21 PM
St@n Go.len

Idk anything about the pre war but the Mantles look amazing. I'm betting this whole thing is legit, a few cards may have been altered but for the most part you've got an amazing collection. Good luck with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I've always liked you Dr. Frank but this isn't right. You had a bad experience once with Al and LOTG and I understand that. But trying to soil his reputation in public for something that happened years and years ago is uncalled for.

jeff
Nonsense. If the misdeed is bad enough then it isn't just "forgiven" because X number of years have passed. Especially if no attempt is made to make it right.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 AM
je.sse @rnot

Sean's detailed post seems like the way to go. Get an estimate of what you think the collection is worth. Find someone who will come make an offer on the whole collection. Then decide if you'd rather take that, consign to an auction house, or try to sell them on your own.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
Hey Jeff, it was 2 years ago not 10. And who died and made you King to decide what's "right"?

I sent you a PM with the facts. Should I post them here? Will you like me again if I do?
I've dealt with a lot of auction companies and had generally pleasant enough experiences with all of them, but Al/Love of the Game was the best and is the one I am most likely to continue to use and recommend in the future.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Hi. I am here. If he says they were bought before he was born I am assuming 20+ years ago - probably sometime in the 80s or 90s. I have only had a store here since 2006. I had family in Cooperstown and spent a couple of weeks here every summer but I was a kid myself and don’t remember seeing anything like this. Probably likely that his dad picked up some items here and at the Albany shows at the Polish Community Center and he also mentioned auctions. But it’s before my time to know exactly where they came from.
I did send him a message with an offer to help if he was in the area. I carry card savers and can help him get a submission ready for psa, to determine which are appropriate for grading, give an estimate of value, etc. I haven’t heard back but the offer is still out there.
Thanks Adam.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

13 pages of comments, and I only counted one mention of PWCC. I wonder how PWCC manages to survive when almost none of the members on this board consign with them. So weird. Wonder where they get all those cards from.

Last edited by orly57; 02-12-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
13 pages of comments, and I only counted one mention of PWCC. I wonder how PWCC manages to survive when almost none of the members on this board consign with them. So weird. Wonder where they get all those cards from.
I assume this is said in jest. I consign most cards I sell through pwcc. And if I inherited these cards that's probably were most would wind up after getting them graded. But for someone with little hobby knowledge I think the OP would probably be better off selling the entire lot to a dealer who buys collections.

If he is willing to take the time to educate himself and spend some money authenticating and grading the cards he may be able to net a little more either selling them on his own, or consigning the big cards to pwcc and selling the rest here or on Ebay.

Despite popular opinion on this board lotg is one of the last places I would consider. I have read and heard about too many issues with them.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 02-12-2019 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Yeah, I was kind of laughing to myself as I read the posts. PWCC is like the new Dick Towle of the board: a bunch of people use them, but few will admit to it. Not sure why.
Anyway, I totally agree with you that they absolutely need to get graded. I would bet that pwcc would send them for grading at their cost (with potentially more favorable PSA grades since they come from PWCC). If not, then he can find someone who will. Where I disagree with you is the suggestion that he sell on his own. You know how big a gap there can be between two cards OF THE SAME GRADE. A novice doesn’t know that the psa 3 that pops up on vcp isn’t as well centered or registered as his. He may assume all 3’s are the same and get ripped off. It’s too much for a novice to grasp in a short time. Also, any dealer who buys the collection will probably take more than 20% off.
A lot is being made of the 10-20% that an auction house will take, but the reality is that if he went on the BST, he would be offered 10-20% less anyway. Rarely does anyone offer full price on BST. In fact, that is one of the benefits of BST: the seller makes a quicker sale (or avoids eBay fees) and the buyer doesn’t deal with BP (or paying the seller’s ebay fees). In short, I’m not sure that the 10-20% can ever truly be avoided...especially by a guy who simply doesn’t know enough about the hobby to asses a proper value. If he’s going to lose that 10-20% anyway, he might as well have someone do all the work for him. The evaluation that needs to be done is: where can he maximize his profit? Where are the most eyeballs going to see the cards? I think his cards are perfect for PWCC. I think REA or HA may be overkill on these particular cards. Having have said all that, as I wrote earlier, I would expect for them to cover grading costs. If they won’t, then he should find someone who will.
As a side-note, i too think that he should keep a couple for sentimental reasons.

Last edited by orly57; 02-12-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Did someone say he would get a better price from a dealer? With little experience in the hobby?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I was kind of laughing to myself as I read the posts. PWCC is like the new Dick Towle of the board: a bunch of people use them, but few will admit to it. Not sure why.
Anyway, I totally agree with you that they absolutely need to get graded. I would bet that pwcc would send them for grading at their cost (with potentially more favorable PSA grades since they come from PWCC). If not, then he can find someone who will. Where I disagree with you is the suggestion that he sell on his own. You know how big a gap there can be between two cards OF THE SAME GRADE. A novice doesn’t know that the psa 3 that pops up on vcp isn’t as well centered or registered as his. He may assume all 3’s are the same and get ripped off. It’s too much for a novice to grasp in a short time. Also, any dealer who buys the collection will probably take more than 20% off.
A lot is being made of the 10-20% that an auction house will take, but the reality is that if he went on the BST, he would be offered 10-20% less anyway. Rarely does anyone offer full price on BST. In fact, that is one of the benefits of BST: the seller makes a quicker sale (or avoids eBay fees) and the buyer doesn’t deal with BP (or paying the seller’s ebay fees). In short, I’m not sure that the 10-20% can ever truly be avoided...especially by a guy who simply doesn’t know enough about the hobby to asses a proper value. If he’s going to lose that 10-20% anyway, he might as well have someone do all the work for him. The evaluation that needs to be done is: where can he maximize his profit? Where are the most eyeballs going to see the cards? I think his cards are perfect for PWCC. I think REA or HA may be overkill on these particular cards. Having have said all that, as I wrote earlier, I would expect for them to cover grading costs. If they won’t, then he should find someone who will.
As a side-note, i too think that he should keep a couple for sentimental reasons.
Well said.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Did someone say he would get a better price from a dealer? With little experience in the hobby?
Jessie wrote: “But for someone with little hobby knowledge I think the OP would probably be better off selling the entire lot to a dealer who buys collections.”
Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Thank you very much for the offer. I really appreciate it. I have been in your store before when I visited last visited the Hall. Great place. Im still deciding and working on what I want to do. Ill be down again to visit Copperstown with or without the cards most likely this summer! Such an awesome place.

Adding a few more photos (still shitty sorry) Going to be continuing to take better photos as I transfer the cards, Ive been very busy at work and doing projects around my house, but I will continue to try to update when I can, thank you guys.

Last edited by Skatehabitat24; 02-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
No, I said he would probably be better off going that route. Obviously it would depend on the offer, but I would certainly get one before deciding what to do. Sending everything to pwcc may yield the highest return, but you never know with auctions and there would be shipping and grading costs added and it would take a lot more time.

There are too many unknowns to say what will end up being the best route. If pwcc will send the cards to psa for him that may be the better option. But there is something to be said for moving everything at once and not taking any risk.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Ben North

Still haven't got any pics from the OP but here is a picture of his Vance next to a known real one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Net54.jpg (66.5 KB, 456 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Dave Fa*st

Boy, those are some vivid looking colors on that '14 CJ McGraw. Amazing looking condition most of these are in - still can't tell if real or not on some....

Last edited by asphaltman; 02-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Father Passed Away

Quote:
Because maybe, just maybe, the hobby extends far beyond the 54 board!!! 2 auction houses were mentioned in 13 pages (REA & LOTG) and I don’t see Heritage, MLI, Goldin, PWCC, SCP, Huggins & Scott, Probstein, etc. hurting because their names were not mentioned.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Because maybe, just maybe, the hobby extends far beyond the 54 board!!! 2 auction houses were mentioned in 13 pages (REA & LOTG) and I don’t see Heritage, MLI, Goldin, PWCC, SCP, Huggins & Scott, Probstein, etc. hurting because their names were not mentioned.
Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn’t take things so literally. Obviously PWCC has consignors that aren’t on this board. My bigger point is that there are a ton of guys on here that use PWCC, but won’t recommend it aloud for some reason. I found it interesting that a company that does so much volume, and is such a big player in the market would only get one mention. Maybe it was just me who thought that PWCC was a pretty easy choice for someone in his position. Or maybe I’m the only one who voiced it. I don’t know, but I’m not really sure what your problem is with my comment.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM

Default Auction Houses

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn’t take things so literally. Obviously PWCC has consignors that aren’t on this board. My bigger point is that there are a ton of guys on here that use PWCC, but won’t recommend it aloud for some reason. I found it interesting that a company that does so much volume, and is such a big player in the market would only get one mention. Maybe it was just me who thought that PWCC was a pretty easy choice for someone in his position. Or maybe I’m the only one who voiced it. I don’t know, but I’m not really sure what your problem is with my comment.
No problem. Just stating the FACTS. It’s that simple.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:16 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Orlando, I don't have an issue with PWCC as a company, however, the reason I would not recommend PWCC in this situation is that the collection as a whole is not made up of higher end, $100+ cards. In this case, the OP will need to know what cards to send to PWCC, a knowledge that he does not seem to have. Sending groups of 50's and 60's commons or semi-stars to PWCC generally isn't practical unless they are coming back 8's, 9's and 10's, and even then, it may not be worth it. In this case, the OP really needs someone to sit down with him and walk him through what he has and the best way to split it up. I doubt PWCC is going to take the time to do that with the whole collection. In addition, if you take the keys of the collection out, I'd imagine very few auction houses would want to deal with just raw partial sets from the 50's and 60's so you'll lose their interest as well.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I found it interesting that a company that does so much volume, and is such a big player in the market would only get one mention. Maybe it was just me who thought that PWCC was a pretty easy choice for someone in his position. Or maybe I’m the only one who voiced it.
PWCC would be a fine choice for someone who is knowledgeable about the hobby or already has their cards graded.

For a novice collector with raw cards, with some being lower value, I think they would get better guidance and overall service from an auction house compared to a high volume eBay seller like PWCC. Auction houses are more accustomed to holding a seller's hand during the process. That is the reason why I did not mention PWCC in my initial advice.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:50 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Thanks for stopping in. If you want help judging what you have I would be happy to help. This is going to require some time. If you want to bring in cards we can arrange a time - but I would not recommend bringing them here in summer. Especially for some of the high quality stuff here. Way too busy any too many people around for me to dedicate the appropriate amount of time and attention to it. Any of the other 9 months are fine. I am in Albany usually at least once a month and can meet you there if you would like. See you on the next trip.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the offer. I really appreciate it. I have been in your store before when I visited last visited the Hall. Great place. Im still deciding and working on what I want to do. Ill be down again to visit Copperstown with or without the cards most likely this summer! Such an awesome place.

Adding a few more photos (still shitty sorry) Going to be continuing to take better photos as I transfer the cards, Ive been very busy at work and doing projects around my house, but I will continue to try to update when I can, thank you guys.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:57 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Of course I haven't examined every card in detail, but overall these give me the impression of being authentic. Just seems like a slightly random collection that a father would have, with organic and varying states of wear.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record I always recommend companies who advertise on Net54 and support us. PWCC and LOTG are 2 great ones and would do very well with this stuff. I just hope he picks a good advertiser here.

And to the OP I am here to help, in any way I can, if you need it. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
It says Goober's

Most of my fathers cards came from Cooperstown and auctions from what I know. He built most if not all of the collection before I was born.
Goobers was a high end dealer and sometimes auction house in the late 1980's to early 1990's. San Francisco area father and son company.

Last edited by boneheadandrube; 02-15-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: dates