NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Player checklist

I have Googled for this extensively prior to asking to no avail. Is there a source that provides a master checklist for all of the cards produced for individual prewar players? It is pretty time consuming to go one checklist at a time, but if that is what I have to do...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Player Collecting resources

Hello. Unfortunately I have not found any one source to be comprehensive. For Player Collecting the best sources for me have been the following:

Trading Card DataBase (http://www.tradingcarddb.com/) - great player search functionality with a ton of referenced cards in galleries. As good as it is, there are still gaps and not every card has a photo.

Beckett's Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist (hard copy, http://www.beckettmedia.com/baseball...ical-checklist) - great reference book organized by player. Get your magnifying glass out, though, because I think its written in 6 font or so!

I will also supplement these sources with trips to Old Cardboard, PSA for the set registry info, eBay, auction house listings/catalogs, and of course Net 54!

Good luck!

Last edited by JLange; 12-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
Hello. Unfortunately I have not found any one source to be comprehensive. For Player Collecting, though the best sources for me have been the the following:

Trading Card DataBase (http://www.tradingcarddb.com/) - great player search functionality with a ton of referenced cards in galleries. As good as it is, there are still gaps and not every card has a photo.

Beckett's Baseball Card Alphabetical Checklist (hard copy, http://www.beckettmedia.com/baseball...ical-checklist) - great reference book organized by player. Get your magnifying glass out, though, because I think its written in 6 font or so!

I will also supplement these sources with trips to Old Cardboard, PSA for the set registry info, eBay, auction house listings/catalogs, and of course Net 54!

Good luck!
That is helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Val Kehl

Vintage Card Prices is helpful, although not perfect/complete, and you don't have to be a member to access the player listings. The search function is at the top of VCP's home page - select "last name" and then enter the player you are interested in - a drop down listing of players with the last name you entered will appear - then, select the exact player you are seeking. Here's the link to the card listing VCP has for WaJo: http://www.vintagecardprices.com/bas...multi_player=1
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:49 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Vintage Card Prices is helpful, although not perfect/complete, and you don't have to be a member to access the player listings. The search function is at the top of VCP's home page - select "last name" and then enter the player you are interested in - a drop down listing of players with the last name you entered will appear - then, select the exact player you are seeking. Here's the link to the card listing VCP has for WaJo: http://www.vintagecardprices.com/bas...multi_player=1
Thank you, Val. I don't know why I didn't think of VCP. That is an awesome resource! I am looking at building a player collection/back run of Fred Merkle. He is not a mega star but not a nobody either. I think of him as a minor star I guess, but everyone knows his story. I like the look of many of his cards. There is just something about old New York baseball and the logos (this coming from a Cardinals fan). Anyway, I have been a fearful admirer of T206 from afar for quite a while. I do have a couple of ill-fated attempts at collecting the set in the past, but this is different. I would like to get as many backs as I can from his portrait and throwing cards and pursue his T205s and E cards as well...I do have the T205 Piedmont already. If I ever get to a stopping point on Fred, I might make a run at Lajoie as well. Tonight, I made my first purchase toward this effort. It may not be super high grade, but it is a nice start with a back that at least isn't totally common. Thank you, Scott, for making me a deal on this card!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merkle Sovereign 460.jpg (77.0 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 12-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Val Kehl

Robert, I think you have made a good choice to pursue Merkle cards. I have been an OCD collector of Sam Rice cards for several years, and the pursuit of a master run of his cards has been a fun journey. BTW, I have this quite scarce 1909 Derby Cigars of Merkle in my type collection; I'm not interested in parting with it now, but if you become an OCD collector of Merkle cards and would like to have this one, give me a shout in a couple of years or so, and we'll find a way to get it added to your collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Derby Cigars 1909 - Merkle.jpg (73.8 KB, 74 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:55 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Robert, I think you have made a good choice to pursue Merkle cards. I have been an OCD collector of Sam Rice cards for several years, and the pursuit of a master run of his cards has been a fun journey. BTW, I have this quite scarce 1909 Derby Cigars of Merkle in my type collection; I'm not interested in parting with it now, but if you become an OCD collector of Merkle cards and would like to have this one, give me a shout in a couple of years or so, and we'll find a way to get it added to your collection.
Cool card, Val! Thanks for sharing your strategy of collecting. I appreciate it, as it gives me something to compare to. I have seen you post your progress/aquisitions. You have a great collection! I will go slow, but I will get there eventually! Merkle has a neat but unfortunate story. Thanks for your support and advice because I learn from it.

Robert