NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
There are so many things wrong with this story that you don't know where to begin.
For me the anthropologist is the highlight.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Merged

Quote:
We have two threads discussing this at the same time. Maybe they should be merged.
Done. Another monumental idea! Hope all is well, Barry.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:13 AM
Barry Sloate

All is well with me Leon, thanks for asking. But I don't think all is well with the Shotwell Ruth. I think it is going to end badly.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
All is well with me Leon, thanks for asking. But I don't think all is well with the Shotwell Ruth. I think it is going to end badly.
Badly for who? At the end of the video it shows he owns a few graded cards. So he has to know he could have this one graded. I'm not sure what his end game is, but I assume he knows the card is fake and likes the attention. No one is going to pay 6 or 7 figures for this card, and he probably bought it for a few bucks.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Badly for who? At the end of the video it shows he owns a few graded cards. So he has to know he could have this one graded. I'm not sure what his end game is, but I assume he knows the card is fake and likes the attention. No one is going to pay 6 or 7 figures for this card, and he probably bought it for a few bucks.
Badly for the owner. Let's watch how it all plays out.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:24 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
I wouldn’t offer 2 figures.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I wouldn’t offer 2 figures.
I think he can get 5 bucks for it now....that would be a 250% profit. Not bad.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:45 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Badly for the owner. Let's watch how it all plays out.
My point is how bad can it end for someone who probably paid 5 or 10 bucks for what I assume he knows is a reprint? He got his 15 minutes of fame, which I also assume is what he was after.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
My point is how bad can it end for someone who probably paid 5 or 10 bucks for what I assume he knows is a reprint? He got his 15 minutes of fame, which I also assume is what he was after.
I think he said he paid 2, don't exaggerate.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I must have skipped past that part of the video. You'd think a comment from the the store owner who let this "$4 million" card go for 2 bucks would be part of the story. Or perhaps this journalist could ask why this lucky guy hasn't had the card graded yet.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but this story sounds eerily like the two guys with the fake Wagner. Didn’t they also get a lab to authenticate the age of the card instead of letting PSA or SGC have at it?
Same hat, different ass.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

The tears are him setting himself up for a GoFundMe page when this comes crashing down, so everyone feels for him.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:36 PM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think he can get 5 bucks for it now....that would be a 250% profit. Not bad.

Lol
Old 03-29-2019, 07:19 PM

The thing it has going for it is that it is not as fakey as most fake cards. I say $10 with included shipping.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 03-29-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added it, because without it it made no sense
Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 PM

It's a small world but I've been to that shop. The store owner sold me 3 E94s for about $100 or so. He's not the brightest bulb in the batch. The shop is in a really seedy part of town with lots of tweakers and vagrants. As for the card, the background is gray!

Last edited by Orioles1954; 03-29-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:40 PM
Anson

Not sure about the anthropologist, but Giorgio Tsoukalos is pretty sure it's the work of aliens

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 03-29-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:25 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
The tears are him setting himself up for a GoFundMe page when this comes crashing down, so everyone feels for him.
Thanks for the laugh. May or may not have spit out my coffee reading this.

Life is going to be hard when the whole family is no longer “set” due to this 4.5 million dollar windfall. Someone let us know when the auction starts so I can get my placeholder bid in. Want to be ready for spirited last hour bidding.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:04 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

How much would this card potentially go for if it were real (which I know it’s not)? According to VCP, the PSA 1.5 sold for $6K plus. How on Earth would anyone arrive at a $4.5 million estimate???
Old 03-30-2019, 09:06 AM
je.sse @rnot

I wonder if he could use the press this has gotten to take the card and his $4 million appraisal to a bank as collateral for a loan he had no intention of paying back. Someone who has seen the story but knows nothing about cards might just push it through.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
I wonder if he could use the press this has gotten to take the card and his $4 million appraisal to a bank as collateral for a loan he had no intention of paying back. Someone who has seen the story but knows nothing about cards might just push it through.
There are a lot of those people. The reporters for instance.
I used to work for a newspaper. Their first duty of a reporter is to expose truth and tell the whole story. It’s sad because it’s obvious that these reporters did no due diligence in their effort. It would have been great for the reporter to have empowered themself to ask an intelligent question instead of allowing the guy with the card to run the story. They could have exposed him as a fraud and a fool instead of the headline “It’s real”. We depend on reporters to get it right - not to mail in a half assed job.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, "It's Fake!" doesn't generate ad-clicks or site subscriptions.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Ruth

I might bid
You think he will accept large bills?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 726 views)
Old 03-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Mark Ness

A buddy just sent me a link to this story today. How I am now just hearing about it, I dont know. LOL but the second I saw this I thought this dude is clearly acting to get famous or hoping some rich sucker sees the card and wants to buy it because the anthropologist says "its real" but has no experience with baseball cards. LMAO If this card were truly real, he would have sent it in to PSA or SGC by now.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL5FjvH3AJc

here's the guy discussing his great buy!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I used to work for a newspaper. Their first duty of a reporter is to expose truth and tell the whole story. It’s sad because it’s obvious that these reporters did no due diligence in their effort. It would have been great for the reporter to have empowered themself to ask an intelligent question instead of allowing the guy with the card to run the story. They could have exposed him as a fraud and a fool instead of the headline “It’s real”. We depend on reporters to get it right - not to mail in a half assed job.
this is the way reporters are today. NOBODY reports the true story anymore, it's too hard to gather the facts. The reporters that are left are complete boob idiots
Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
this is the way reporters are today. NOBODY reports the true story anymore, it's too hard to gather the facts. The reporters that are left are complete boob idiots
They would rather be first than right. If you take the time to do the research, someone else might scoop you.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Anson

This just keeps going. After watching this video, there can't be any doubt in anyone's mind that this is fake. I guess his play is to hold onto it and convince his neighbors he's a big shot. He wouldn't dare send it to PSA or SGC, let alone to an auction house.

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/loca...babe-ruth-card
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Or perhaps.....

Quote:

A potential insurance scam - gets all the "news" to "substantiate" the value - insures it then lost or stolen and collects on the insurance? If he doesn't do it for real, could make a decent movie!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
A potential insurance scam - gets all the "news" to "substantiate" the value - insures it then lost or stolen and collects on the insurance? If he doesn't do it for real, could make a decent movie!
Yikes. To this point, the collector in question doesn't seem to be breaking any laws, but if it does lead to an insurance scam, that's jumping to some serious stuff (guessing it must be a felony).
As for the movie, it could be fun, but I think we all know how this one will end!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
They would rather be first than right. If you take the time to do the research, someone else might scoop you.
I think they treat it as a 'human interest story.' The next day's story may have been about a retiree who runs a kitten charity.

There's so much eyerolling bullshit to this story it's difficult to know where to start. But, for a starter, do I believe a baseball card shop had this card in the display for $2? No, I do not.

Last edited by drcy; 04-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The truth wouldn't be as good of a story with the headline-

Guy Buys $2 Babe Ruth Card for $2

Last edited by Leon; 04-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Barry Sloate

1929 Babe Ruth rookie card? It's not from 1929, it wouldn't be his rookie, and where did he get the story that Shotwell made a single proof and that's it? Don't facts count any more?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
1929 Babe Ruth rookie card? It's not from 1929, it wouldn't be his rookie, and where did he get the story that Shotwell made a single proof and that's it? Don't facts count any more?
Deleted

Last edited by Sean; 04-19-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 PM

From the article:

He bought the card for on sale for 80% off, paying just $2. The store employee said he couldn't tell if it was worth anything because he couldn't identify the company name on the back of the card.

"We couldn't find it anywhere. Six, seven, eight days of searching the card, we were running into the same thing this old man was running into," Ball said.

So he dug even deeper and started googling the history of the Shotwell logo.

The more this guy talks about the card, the more holes appear in his story (I realize we all know it's a fake). So I just did a quick Google search of "shotwell babe ruth" and the first 2 hits told me all I need to know about the card. The first 2 links led me to the PSA CardFacts pages for the Ruth card and the Shotwell set.

"The 1921 Shotwell baseball set appears to be one of the scarcest in existence with only three cards known to exist - Babe Ruth, Babe Doll Jacobson and George Dauss."

It seems strange that both the card shop owner and the new owner spent 6, 7, practically 8 DAYS searching and couldn't find anything about the company name.

Also, if the card is indeed "one of a kind", how do you explain the PSA 1.5 that already exists?

I guess it's good entertainment.

€hu˘k W0Łf

Last edited by CW; 04-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
From the article:

He bought the card for on sale for 80% off, paying just $2. The store employee said he couldn't tell if it was worth anything because he couldn't identify the company name on the back of the card.

"We couldn't find it anywhere. Six, seven, eight days of searching the card, we were running into the same thing this old man was running into," Ball said.

So he dug even deeper and started googling the history of the Shotwell logo.

The more this guy talks about the card, the more holes appear in his story (I realize we all know it's a fake). So I just did a quick Google search of "shotwell babe ruth" and the first 2 hits told me all I need to know about the card. The first 2 links led me to the PSA CardFacts pages for the Ruth card and the Shotwell set.

"The 1921 Shotwell baseball set appears to be one of the scarcest in existence with only three cards known to exist - Babe Ruth, Babe Doll Jacobson and George Dauss."

It seems strange that both the card shop owner and the new owner spent 6, 7, practically 8 DAYS searching and couldn't find anything about the company name.

Also, if the card is indeed "one of a kind", how do you explain the PSA 1.5 that already exists?

I guess it's good entertainment.

€hu˘k W0Łf
We know it's all BS, the owner knows it's all BS. The only one in the dark is the local television station.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Scott Russell

Who can't even be bothered to do a basic google search
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
From the article:

The more this guy talks about the card, the more holes appear in his story (I realize we all know it's a fake).

€hu˘k W0Łf
He called the shop I was working at (at the time) and said his grandmother left him the card. This was before the news outlets picked it up. So, yes, the man is full of a lot of it.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 06-30-2019, 08:01 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Just saw the recent Babe thread and thought I'd bump. Anyone have any updates on this goof? I haven't read anything about it in a few weeks, thought I'd check up, and found this:
https://abc30.com/society/visalia-co...ction/5300382/

Don't even get me started.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Also found this article https://auburnpub.com/lifestyles/it-...a4e293c64.html and took note of the graded cards in the picture:

The two PSA graded cards in his picture:
#23266801 Ruth Bulgaria Sport Photo - Three out of four PSA Auction Prices realized are PWCC. Sold TWICE in 2019 (3/12/19 and 5/8/19). Four sales overall since 2017.
#42799168 - W551 Walter Johnson - eBay sale 3/14/19

Interesting to say the least.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 AM
Scott Russell

My letter to Mr. Wilcox,

David,

Well at least you acknowledged the fact that many of us in the hobby know the Ruth is a photographic reprint (counterfeit) of the known existing copy. You can see the crease in the lower left reproduced on the copy.

I hope the image used on the top of the article isn't his collection as it is chock full of counterfeits, like the T206 Wagner, and cheap examples of big names, like the Bulgaria Sport Ruth. Not exactly the epic cards one would expect from the collection he claims he has. That's without even addressing the autographs.

Oh, and did you ever wonder about 200 million cards? Do you know the kind of space that would occupy? If they were all ungraded and not in holders, packed the most efficient way possible they would weigh approximately 600 tons, and occupy 18,000 cubic feet, or a 2,250 square foot warehouse 8 feet high, with literally every inch fully packed, no aisles, not even shelves, just 5000 count boxes floor to ceiling every square inch.

There is a huge scandal in card collecting right now that has very little to do with this clown, but it's "journalism" like the articles and TV coverage that he's garnered with a counterfeit card that in part help create the atmosphere where the abuses we are seeing can occur.

Scott Russell
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-01-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:12 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Also found this article https://auburnpub.com/lifestyles/it-...a4e293c64.html and took note of the graded cards in the picture:

The two PSA graded cards in his picture:
#23266801 Ruth Bulgaria Sport Photo - Three out of four PSA Auction Prices realized are PWCC. Sold TWICE in 2019 (3/12/19 and 5/8/19). Four sales overall since 2017.
#42799168 - W551 Walter Johnson - eBay sale 3/14/19

Interesting to say the least.
It is precisely this kind of journalistic garbage that gives sustenance to the "Fake News" movement. Shame on any publication that publishes it.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:37 AM
Barry Sloate

Absolute garbage. This hobby is starting to wear me down.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Scott Russell

Amazingly Mr. Wilcox has reached out to me.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Amazingly Mr. Wilcox has reached out to me.
So what did he say? Drinks on him?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Scott Russell

Said he wanted to do a follow up piece and would I be willing to talk on the record and did I know anyone else that he could talk to that I would recommend. I asked him where the line forms...

Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

He is a maroon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Said he wanted to do a follow up piece and would I be willing to talk on the record and did I know anyone else that he could talk to that I would recommend. I asked him where the line forms...
Old 07-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
He is a maroon.
Chicago Maroon?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I watched 8 minutes of that truly shitty video he had linked to the article and I hate myself for watching that much. Just hearing him talk and act like he has ANY clue about cards is an absolute joke. I hope this guy gets stranded on an island somewhere and doesn't come back. A true idiot.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
He is a maroon.
You know Wilcox?

Old 07-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Chicago Maroon?
Pottsville Maroon circa 1922