NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Default Annoucement of a new Auction Company

Posted By: Matt

Joe - I hear what you are saying; you are supposing that the catalog will bring in more bidders and higher prices and that will cover the cost of its creation. That's a compelling argument, but Scott and Leon have suggested that their clientele will be the same as it would be for a printed catalog auction. If that is the case, your supposition is incorrect, as the printing of the catalog would not bieng in any high prices and would therefore directly have to come from the profits.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

Autographs- This is not going to be our bread and butter and we will only take items we feel have all of the proper certs to back it up.

SCD- We will not be spending one red cent there. We will have ads on various other hobby websites.

Banners-There will be a banner in the future, we would hope that others would accept it like they have the ones currently in place.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Well I said I was going to stay out of it but find it difficult when I get a direct question. We will eventually have 1 banner ad just like the other 12-14 advertisers...(as a favor we split one of the allotted times into 2).....but the answer is you won't see any more than any other advertiser....and yes, I would think the static banner at the top would be utilized some too as it is by others....I would hope the advertisers feel they are reaching the same clientele that was here before. We will be but one other banner ad....with the same frequency of being seen as the rest...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Siegel

If it costs $20,000 to produce catalogs and they bring an additional $10,000 would you do it??? Scott and Leon are well respected and have the correct venues to advertise. The prices realized will indicate the necessity of a catalog.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Good luck guys!

One thing you should know...

The registration email went directly to my spam box (gmail), not sure how are other email providers handling your messages, but you should try and proof-read the email again and check was is causing this problem.

Again, the best of LUCKey!

Edit: The problem may be caused by the 'info' tag used as the email sender. I'm sure you can modify that using the auction software setup menu or whatever program you are using to manage your email.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the input, we will look into the matter and see what needs to be done to correct it.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Best of luck, guys! Hopefully if all goes well, there will be print catalogs in the future.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"Joe - I hear what you are saying; you are supposing that the catalog will bring in more bidders and higher prices and that will cover the cost of its creation. That's a compelling argument, but Scott and Leon have suggested that their clientele will be the same as it would be for a printed catalog auction. If that is the case, your supposition is incorrect, as the printing of the catalog would not bieng in any high prices and would therefore directly have to come from the profits."

Actually no Matt....

I am supposing that the catalog will bring in more BIDS not necessarily more bidders (but possibly so).

The internet is great for finding things you already know you want.
The catalog is great for showing you those items you want - but would have never found in your 'internet searches'
Case in point - the White Chase - which I won in the REA - would have never been found by me using an internet search. I found it - and decided I wanted it while thumbing through the REA catalog. I won that lot. The consignor and the auction house got more $$ because of the catalog. Plain and simple.

That is just one bidders story on one lot. Add an extra bidder to each lot or so - and the catalog pays for itself and much much more.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Can you please add the Canadian provinces(State*) to your online registration?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyR.S.hanus

Best of luck with the venture, fellas.

I hope, though, that you're not being penny wise and pound foolish about not printing a catalog. There are no shortages of auction companies vying for our time and attention in reviewing their offerings, and it is much easier and faster to browse a printed catalog than an internet listing/description. And as much as consignors want the BP/SP to be as low as possible, they also want to feel as many potential buyers as possible are aware of their consignments.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I like catalogs too, but am willing to forego one if it saves commission dollars.

I like the option of having a printable version from the online site. If that runs smoothly, I'll be glad to eat the cost of paper and ink. The loser in this deal is USPS. Lately, their rates have been rising rapidly for this type of mail. I think more auction houses will look into this option.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

a downloadalbe color pdf file would actually be quite nice.
can save thousands of them over the years and take up no space on my bookshelf!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I am looking forward to watching the growth, development and success of Brockelman and Luckey Auctions.

Lots of luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Joe - I understand now - it will be interesting to see if that is the case!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Brad- we will get that fixed soon. Our web person is out of commission for the next day or so..I am sure we will get it fixed in the next week. Sorry for the issue.

Corey- Scott and I argued the catalog issue more than any other thing we talked about. In the end we feel a catalog IS probably needed for a larger auction and not so much for a smaller one. We don't expect to have more than 100-200 lots in the first auction...but we hope to grow to where one does make more fiscal sense. And we do undertsand what you are saying about penny wise and pound foolish. I know there will be some rare and high quality items, as well as more moderate ones, in the first auction so hopefully not having a print catalog won't hurt too much and the items and email lists and advertising will work. I have spoken to at least one small auction house in the last few days that has done both print and non-print auctions. He has 75-100 lot auctions and from his experience of about 15 auctions, with and without print, he said he did about the same. Also, I think Scott mentioned the downloadable pdf we will have will be the same as a print catalog would be. I am not sure that is the case as it could only be a skeleton. I need to get clarification on that item...but again, we won't have some changes or answers for a few days...regards

Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

...again, i'm with Joe D here.

there is a certain romance, drama and special keepsake associated with a printed catalog...call me crazy, but yes, it is worth some extra % points to have all of the above. i often thumb thru old REA, Mastro & Sotheby's catalogs for, not only reference, but for some history lessons as well.

Leon/Scott- as mentioned i wish you guys lots of luck, and can't wait to see the first auction...

MS

Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

my opinion, catalogs are nice and fun to look at, but they don't help get bids.

good luck guys.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

If I am the consignor, I'd take a 50% sellers commission and a $10,000 sale price over a 0% sellers commission and a $4,000 sale price. I could care less if there is a catalog.

As a bidder, I am indifferent to the buyers premium as its all math. I can divide by 12.5% as easily as 20%. I have never bid on a card because of a catalog. I either need the card, or I don't. Would I like a catalog? Sure. I'd like a steak dinner too.

The open market will dictate the need for a catalog.

Scott and Leon, best of luck on the new venture. The more options for hobbyist, the better.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I agree with the position that a catalogue is important if the size of auction merits it. I also think that great scans (and numerous pictures) of each card will certainly help, too. I thought that the size of scans in the Goodwin auction was impressive and very helpful.

As for Leon and Scott, I can say that while I don't know Scott personally some of my favorite cards in my collection have come from him and he is as professional as they come. As for Leon, he is beyond reproach in my eyes and, other than Barry, his would be the only auction that I would feel 100% certain that I am not being shilled or otherwise defrauded.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

boring names,sounds hardware storish. You Texans have no "pizzazz" in yer lifes.

"Luckey Brockelmans Classics" has a better ring. Diss trust me ,I knows what I talk aboutz. JUst effing which you, good luck and let see some real goodies !

The real Dk

Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Scott and Leon --Good luck with your new venture --I just registered and look forward to participating in your upcoming auction.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Double-P-Enterprises

Sounds like a great thing from two well respected individuals. How about doing what the others don't and accept credit cards (with no additional fees). Make it easy on the buyer and don't pass the costs on to either party. Something all the auction companies need to do long term. A little consolidation in this industry also wouldn't hurt as there are way too many doing the same thing and turning nearly the same cards over and over. That too will certainly happen but I'm glad to see someone challenging the norm and wish you luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Hans

Good luck, gentlemen. I have signed up. Is it OK if i used you two as hobby references?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I too wish you guys the best of luck and look forward to bidding and consigning in your auctions. I think you guys are the right men for the job. Will you be offering free grading services for you consigners like other larger auction houses? I also think a print version is a much needed tool. Maybe you can just print one smaller like Barry's or Lew's. How many lots pre auction are you guys shooting for? Anyways all the best and I look forward to signing up!

Trevor Hocking

Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

If you accept memorabilia (autographs), what COA will you accept ? I have a few STAT and Morales COA items. What grading card companies ? Thanks Mike

Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Very good question, Yes, we will be offering free grading for consignors with raw cards, We will be using SGC as our preferred grader.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

On autographed items we will be fairly restrictive we will NOT be taking STAT, MORALES OR any of the shamsters.

Cards will be SGC, PSA, GAI and Beckett as the situation presents itself. We will be using SGC as our preferred grader of incoming raw material.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Soon we will have Jim Crandell asking Leon and Scott for their stance on alterations and other hobby issues.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Kinda wondered where Jim was.

We will NOT be altering ANY cards. I don't even know how to spoon a crease out and I have been around cards forever, guess I never took the time to learn the dark side. In all probabilty most of the cards we take in on consignment will be graded, those that are not will be sent as obtained to SGC for their impartial review and holdering.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Kinda wondered where Jim was.

We will NOT be altering ANY cards. I don't even know how to spoon a crease out and I have been around cards forever, guess I never took the time to learn the dark side. In all probabilty most of the cards we take in on consignment will be graded, those that are not will be sent as obtained to SGC for their impartial review and holdering.

Scott

WELL the post got doubled, but I feel the subject matter feels stating twice for emphasis anyway.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Will you auction cards that either you or Leon own?

Will you or Leon bid on cards in the auction?

Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

competition is healthy and I think you two guys are pretty straight-up and should do well. Just for the record i thought i would add re: the banner ads that keep getting brought up. Truth is I NEVER have looked at the banner here or anywhere else. I think of it as a commercial and just avoid them. Only thing that can happen is another pop-up or email spam to follow..... Miopic perhaps - but if I have to know about something - I assume a banner ain't gonna do it...... Catalogs are comfortable for them what wuz born before or during the computer age. Nothing like picking up a catalog and holding it one's hands. I think the hard copy WOULD result in higher prices but think the boys are trying to balance the equation - so the burden/weighting of fees is apportioned differently - with the emphasis reducing the buyer's penalty and subsequently increasing consignor realizations. IMOH - I think 10% was already enough for ANY auction house. Increasingly punishing the buyers by raising the viggorish and making consignment fees lower skews things a bit for me in the wrong direction. Just a word from someone primarily a bidder.....

Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Leon & Scott,

Hope the venture is successful!

Patrick

Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Well I usually bid in all major auctions but I have never looked online for card descriptions. My printer does abouit 1 page every 5 minutes so that will be tough as well. Those who say a catalog does not matter are just not right. I travel a lot and always carefully read through catalogs on the plane.

Secondly, who cares what the buyers premium is? Is there anyone who actually bids in an auction that does not take the buyers premium into account?

With those comments, I wish them the best and hope that maybe they will consider printing out their lot descriptions and mailing them to me.

Jim

Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

YES AND NO

Yes,intially the auctions will include cards we own, unless we get overwhelmed by consignments. We will not have the capability to enter the system and monkey with any bids. It is all 3rd party operated and is the same platform as used by one of the larger auction companies.

No, we will NOT be bidding in ANY of the auctions on ANY lots. SO, if you have something we really need please consign it to another auction house. It just has to be that way.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I understand your concerns with the catalogue, unfortunately it is just not feasible with the terms we are offering for buyers and sellers. However, I will in fact be happy to mail you a complete print out of the catalogue. Just email your address to either Leon or myself and you will get one within days of the auction starting.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks Scott.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim's point about the significance of the BP is well-taken. However, I think subconciously a lower BP does tend to goose the prices up a bit. Just human nature, I suppose.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Thank you Scott--that is very kind of you.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Congrats and good luck on your new venture! Leon, offer a few of those coveted items in your personal collection to help generate some hype. :--)

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

Jim,

To respond to your question about who cares about BPs, I would think consignors would. Not because it will have any impact on the final price realized. On that I agree with you-bidders will factor that in in deciding how high to go. But I would think the lower the BP, the more of the final realized price will go into the consignor's pocket, and that is something a consignor would care very much about.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

More accurately, the less the auction house takes the more goes into the seller's pocket. Whether it's the buyer's premium or seller's fee really doesn't matter.

Edited to make a correction. Sorry Jim.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

Leon states above:

....but here are current numbers for folks (IP's) viewing Net54 for the first 2.35 months of this year.....

January......10,160
February.....11,014
March.........3,717

>>>>

Web page counters count the number of times a web page is hit or refreshed. It counts the initial online hit then it counts each time that viewer RETURNS from viewing each thread and/or any other page he/her may visit. So the numbers you show are the SUM of the number of folks that visit the home page PLUS a likely large number of other pages they view during their stay. Is that correct?

Regarding your auction:

Why not charge a 15% buyer's fee and take credit cards? No mailing - save buyers time and money - no handling of hundreds of checks, money orders, etc. and no waiting - most efficient - shipping within a day. Heritage Auctions takes credit cards up to $10K without any increase in buyers fee.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

As I buyer I could care less and I think Barry is mistaken here.

If I want to bid up to $2400 on a card with a 20% buyers premium I would bid $2,000. If the buyers premium is 15% I bid $2,100. If it is 10% I bid $2,200.

The consigner obviously likes a lower premium but buyers should be 100% indifferent. I think it is the most bizarre thing when buyers come on the board and complain about the buyers premium?

Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Yes Jim, the buyer should be indifferent. But I was referring to the seller.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

In fact you are factoring in the buyers premium, you are not ignoring it. As you factor in a higher buyers premium you lower your bid accordingly, likewise as the bp is lower people will bid more.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Barry--okay, must have read it wrong but every time this comes up people complain about the buyers premium from the buyers of view when it makes no difference.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

No Jim- I wrote it wrong. I typed "buyer" when I meant "seller." My fault completely.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

SB writes: SCD- We will not be spending one red cent there.

Good for you guys.

In this Mastro age, I have become accustomed to getting DVD's with my catalog. I know you won't be creating catalogs, how about just DVD's? j/k

Bring a video camera to the National Dinner,:"The Making of the Yearly Team Photo".

GEM graded cards okay?

Wish you both the best of luck.

DJ

Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Nice job guys. I just registered. How cool is this?

I think you have done well at getting at a reasonable ebay alternative for sellers. And buyers factor in the BF, so that part really doesn't matter. The more ebay changes it's policies to be user-unfriendly, the more venues like the one you've created will get traffic and attention. I don't know how some of the other lower-BF houses structure the seller end of it, but yours looks like a great plan to me. I think the ebay-alternative is a solid angle.

And much as I like catalogs, I can see what you are trying to do here. I agree that your fan base, so to speak, will be about the same as most other auctions so maybe it's hard to see what a catalog adds. Great point upthread somewhere about the fact that a catalog adds bids, not bidders, but I do see your point about trying to cut costs.

Good luck to you both. One thing I haven't read yet is that it's really just kind of exciting to see a new player enter the picture.

Joann