NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-10-2002, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Default $3 million, are you kidding me?

Posted By: jay behrens

I'm still laughing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1850047669

Jay

Old 08-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

The guy should count his blessings that some one has bid $50,000.

Old 08-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Administrator

that this also the single greatest sports collection ever offered for auction.

And forget about all those valuable toys he has, especially all those new GI Joes, SLUs and McFarland toys. I doubt seriously that that any of the toys he has have any desriability within the toy collecting community. Most likely, they are dead inventory from 5+ years ago when he was trying to be a toy scalper.

Jay

Old 08-11-2002, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...look closely at the photos. He has some jerseys hanging in the store that I've seen go for as much as $19.95. Many of the cards are neatly laid out in glass display cabinets, and those display cabinets go for a few hundred bucks in some states. And, the floor covering in the store...that's getting close to a Grand right there. You guys are being kind of harsh, dontcha think? With all those cards he shows, he only needs to come up with another approx. $2,997,000 in collector card value, over and above his showroom/store stock and fixtures to make the $3M claim. If just ONE of the cards is a key Honus Wanger card (or if maybe two of them are) he could be "in the ballpark". <grin>

Old 08-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Administrator

I think he forgot to show a picture of the magic rolltop desk he got from his grandfather that has all the really valuable cards in it.

Jay

Old 08-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I agree with Dan. Don't forget, there's a Zeke Bonura card in the collection.

Old 08-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

is that this "marquee" collector/dealer's name is not mentioned once that I could see in the entire rambling ad. Do you think if a Barry Halper-type was scragging his collection, he'd want to use His name? I also find it rather interesting that this seller used the scammer's friend private auction format and has not given even the barest of facts about what is really included.

I remember seeing a scam once where the guy put a $100 bill on the top of each stack of $1 bills or newspaper and fooled the buyer with it (the Sting? Miami Vice? I don't recall). This looks like something similar.

This schmuck is obviously looking for the ceiling that a real bidder will bid, which he will find through a shill bid (note the private auction), then he will offer the deal to the underbidder since the "winner" pulled out. It would almost be worth it to be the underbidder just to hear this idiot's scam rap afterwards.

I wonder what money-losing card shop in Hell's Armpit this turkey is trying to escape from?

Old 08-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

how should he do it? Seems to me that, with or withiout an appraisal (they can be very expensive), he should break the merchandise up into small lots. I mean, you get enough '50s cards, put them all together, and they're worth a lot of dough (assuming they're in good shape). He has gone to the trouble of listing the merchandise--so why doesn't he break it up? Who wants to pay $3,000,000 for a list of unseen things?

All this is assuming he's honest, which he may be.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Administrator

83 bids so far. Why do I find this hard to believe? Could it be becuase it's private auction selling a store full of over valued junk?

jay