NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default OT: Has anyone ever had an eBay buyer ask to pay for an item in installments?

Wasn't sure where to post this, since it doesn't really fit in the Water Cooler section.

I was contacted by an eBay buyer interested in an item I have listed. He made an offer, I countered. He then messaged me asking if he could pay me in installments over the course of a 4-6 months until the item was paid off? He says that he is acting on behalf of a library.

Has anyone ever done such a deal on eBay? I thought eBay had their own installment payment kind of deal.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 06-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

That's what credit cards are for. A built in installment payment program.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Robert Williams

Yes....A Spider Man #2 I had on Ebay......he made payments every month, and I didnt ship until the last payment came.....
Old 06-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Mark Medlin

I have done this as a buyer many times. In fact I have a current deal pending with 3 payments to go.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Yes....A Spider Man #2 I had on Ebay......he made payments every month, and I didnt ship until the last payment came.....
That is great that it worked out for both of you.. How did that work on/with eBay?

I have never done it on eBay but have asked on here(Net54) about doing it on a complete set i purchased.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Personally, through Ebay I wouldn't do it. Ebay just has way to many loopholes, rules, requirements, etc to take the risk. However, if someone from this site needed to make payments over time, i would work with them on it. Likewise I've had people on this site hold cards aside for me until I could pay for them. In all cases, make sure everyone knows the game plan upfront and don't send the card until payment has been made in full.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Robert J. Miller

Yes I have. He wanted to do two payment about two months apart. It worked out fine. I did not ship until the second payment cleared.
Robert
Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Al Richter

I am just a buyer on ebay but often see and get offers from sellers I purchase from to make payments over time, especially on larger items. I fortunately do not need to use them but not surprised some buyers ask for it if they are seeing what I see
Old 06-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Mark Medlin

The deals I have done as a buyer have been off eBay and 2000.00 or more. I have done this about 8 times. It allows me to cash flow the purchases better and keep my wife's smirks to love smirks rather than hate. I also did a similar deal here for 1k with Leon. Has worked well on each occasion and has been a win/win imo.

Mark
Old 06-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is great that it worked out for both of you.. How did that work on/with eBay?

I have never done it on eBay but have asked on here(Net54) about doing it on a complete set i purchased.
I closed the item on Ebay and he made payments through PayPal, if I remember correctly......It went perfectly, but I guess there could have been problems?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I've seen sellers offer this before on BIN auctions where the price is inflated a bit. I think eBay seller Mike Denero (sp?) offers that on his eBay listings. I've never used it before, but I can understand why he offers it if it moves more cards.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Larry

I've arranged for such purchases as a buyer with dealers I knew, such as Tony Arnold and a few others. They keep the item until the last payment is made, and then ship. Has worked out quite well for me. I got my 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb through Tony that way when cash flow in my practice was a bit tough during the great recession.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

If you would be taking paypal payments be aware that in order to comply with the seller protection policy each paypal payment must have a unique tracking number. This would obviously not be possible if you are shipping 1 item. In their user agreement it recommends to never take multiple payments for an item.

And as was suggested there maybe issues with eBay in taking multiple payments for an item. I am not aware of a program where ebay supports that since it would frustrate the paypal policy and they require sellers to take paypal or another online payment service.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I would not have a problem with a BST in the forum but on EBay no way.. Too many rules with feedback, what happens after the 90 days.. I'd also say pay with a CC..
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

I agree that's what credit cards or the ebay payment plan are for. Unless I knew the person I wouldn't agree to that as an eBay seller. I did make what was for me a large purchase here once and asked if I could put a deposit and pay when a consignment sold a couple of weeks later. The seller agreed, but we had done business a few times before.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:10 PM
Jerry Tate

Default liquor store

I used to have customers at my liquor store try to do that......for a half-pint of Kentucky Deluxe........Jerry
Old 06-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
If you would be taking paypal payments be aware that in order to comply with the seller protection policy each paypal payment must have a unique tracking number. This would obviously not be possible if you are shipping 1 item. In their user agreement it recommends to never take multiple payments for an item.

And as was suggested there maybe issues with eBay in taking multiple payments for an item. I am not aware of a program where ebay supports that since it would frustrate the paypal policy and they require sellers to take paypal or another online payment service.
Greg, thanks for pointing that out. Looks like it's a violation of eBay TOS too, and since I don't know the buyer, I think it's best to pass on this one.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I've had buyers make monthly installments through Paypal.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a seller, I did a non-eBay 2x payment on a large lot. Half the lot sent after the first payment, half the lot sent after the second.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:50 PM
C@rl P@rk

He should just sign up for PayPal Credit if he's eligible. The 6 month interest free on purchases over $99 has floated many of my bigger buys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 02:58 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I've done it on BST a few times with large purchases.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Paul Lehr

As a buyer I've made payments on an item a few times but only if it's interest free. If I have to pay interest to someone I might as well use a credit card, which I refuse to do for hobby/collectible purchases.