NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
I am not a criminal lawyer so I know little about this. Are you saying that if a person feels another person has committed a crime, by filing a criminal complaint with the FBI he can compel the FBI to open a criminal investigation and, as part of the process, obtain a search warrant? That sets off a lot of bells to my common sense meter.
I agree Corey seems a little to easy to send the FBI on wild goose....you know

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-30-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Well, I wish John: 1) all the luck in the world with this investigation; and 2) that when he lies as badly as he did in the thread Wonka posted above that he's not under oath, subject to the penalties of perjury.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Well, I wish John: 1) all the luck in the world with this investigation; and 2) that when he lies as badly as he did in the thread Wonka posted above that he's not under oath, subject to the penalties of perjury.

Come on Jeff sometimes things just slip our minds lighten up.

Drives me crazy when I forget that I sell million dollar baseball cards....ughhh I promised myself I would stop doing that in 2014 I hope I can keep this resolution this time fingers crossed.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
"About a year ago, two of Rogers’ former employees pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud for diverting funds from customers to their own Paypal accounts. Christopher Jackson and Steve Roby also stole thousands of photographs from Rogers and sold many on eBay, according to government prosecutors.

Jackson received a 33-month prison sentence and two years of supervised release. He was ordered to pay more than $138,000 in restitution. Roby was sentenced last July to a year and a half in prison, a year of supervised release and $138,000 in restitution."

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...photo-archive/
I should have been clearer..I was wondering what the FBI took with them the other day...another article stated that it appeared to be baseball bats inside boxes.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-30-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I should have been clearer..I was wondering what the FBI took with them the other day...another article stated that it appeared to be baseball bats inside boxes.
Oh no I hope it wasn't those Ruth and Gehrig bats that he came out of the woodwork from his eBay listing.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
It's true that Peter Nash is friendly with John Rogers. Nash said in court filed papers that John Rogers had agreed to contribute $10,000 for Nash's legal fees... The NY Daily News wrote an article about it, see link below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...morabilia-exec

When I tried to contact John Rogers to ask him why he was giving money to Peter Nash to defend his lawsuit, John Rogers had his attorney send me a cease and desist letter not to contact him.

I have a copy of an signed affidavit from John Rogers dated July 26, 2012 that he loaned approximately $166,200 to Peter Nash. The third sentence of the affidavit states:

"During the years of 2009 and 2010 I loaned approximately $166,200 to Mr. Nash. These wire transfers were unsecured loans for which no formal loan agreements or documents were executed between Mr. Nash, myself or my companies."

My wife and I have a Judgment against Peter Nash and Roxanne Nash. As of today the Judgment including the 8.5% interest amounts to approximately $500,000. I have a bunch of collateral from Peter Nash which would help pay down the Judgment but does Peter Nash give me any provenance or try to help me sell it, no. For example I have an Ed Delahanty Trophy bat that Peter Nash gave to me as collateral on the bat it says "Presented To Edward Delahanty Four Home Runs July 13, 1896". But Peter Nash has refused to help me sell it. Nash writes volumes about baseball memorabilia and goes into extreme details on his Hauls of Shame website but refuses to write anything about the rare memorabilia that he gave me as collateral.
You may want to contact a lawyer about Nash's refusal to help you sell the collateral. My thoughts, and I have never practiced in this area, are that there may be an action related to his interfering with your ability to satisfy the debt.

Again - I have not practiced law in this area.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
I am not a criminal lawyer so I know little about this. Are you saying that if a person feels another person has committed a crime, by filing a criminal complaint with the FBI he can compel the FBI to open a criminal investigation and, as part of the process, obtain a search warrant? That sets off a lot of bells to my common sense meter.
I have practiced as a prosecutor. By filing a criminal complaint you are putting law enforcement on notice of the allegations. They will likely look into the allegations but cannot be compelled to pursue a search warrant.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I have practiced as a prosecutor. By filing a criminal complaint you are putting law enforcement on notice of the allegations. They will likely look into the allegations but cannot be compelled to pursue a search warrant.
Best to my knowledge there was no search warrant when the FBI arrived to question the person.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Best to my knowledge there was no search warrant when the FBI arrived to question the person.
You don't need a warrant to talk to a person.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Sounds pretty amazing that the FBI would be involved in a case involving $500, they usually do not act until there are lots of zeroes in the number.
I don't know a lot about the law, but I believe it is not the dollar amount that involves the FBI, rather the type of crime involved. When someone robbed the title and loan company by my house, all they got was petty cash. It was considered a bank robbery, and the FBI had to do the investigation over something like $50.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I don't know a lot about the law, but I believe it is not the dollar amount that involves the FBI, rather the type of crime involved. When someone robbed the title and loan company by my house, all they got was petty cash. It was considered a bank robbery, and the FBI had to do the investigation over something like $50.
That is correct. The FBI is charged with investigating federal offenses. The dollar amount would relate to the possible crime and not the jurisdiction of the FBI.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Rob.ert Fra.ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
You may want to contact a lawyer about Nash's refusal to help you sell the collateral. My thoughts, and I have never practiced in this area, are that there may be an action related to his interfering with your ability to satisfy the debt.

Again - I have not practiced law in this area.
Thanks for your thoughts I just may do that. During the lawsuit Peter Nash alleged that I destroyed Nash's present and future business dealings with John Rogers. What is that business relationship? It's a fact that Legendary Auctions sent Peter Nash's landlord money so he would not be evicted, but did you know that John Rogers is one of the owner of Legendary Auctions. I asked Doug Allen what percentage of ownership does John Rogers have in Legendary Auctions, Doug wouldn't tell me but he did confirm that John Rogers is part owner of Legendary Auctions. Doug told me if it wasn't for John Rogers helping out financially Legendary Auctions wouldn't exist. Doug Allen told me he's good friends with John Rogers and stays over Rogers house when he visits.

Last edited by Sunny; 01-30-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The Big House?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Dan Bretta

Hmmm...Day 2 since this story broke and still nothing on Haulsofshame.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I guess they could still arrange sleep overs...

Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Hmmm…Coaches Corner….memorabilia….connected to a person known and accused for bogus memorabilia….loans money to said person…part owner of a major auction house…auction house pays rent of said person…auction house under investigation/trial for fraud….FBI warrants at your place of work…ehhh I’m sure it’s all just a big misunderstanding.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Dan Bretta

There's only one reason someone consigns something to CC...they know it's a fake.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Rob.ert Fra.ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post

Hmmm…Coaches Corner….memorabilia….connected to a person known and accused for bogus memorabilia….loans money to said person…part owner of a major auction house…auction house pays rent of said person…auction house under investigation/trial for fraud….FBI warrants at your place of work…ehhh I’m sure it’s all just a big misunderstanding.
Very interesting, John Rogers consigned a Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig signed baseball to Coach's Corner. Now that says it all!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
There's only one reason someone consigns something to CC...they know it's a fake.
Dan if that’s the case where would a guy like Rogers obtain such questionable merchandise to consign to Coaches Corner? It’s not like he’s connected or knows of anyone that could provide such merchandise, has business dealings with a person who could supply such items. Or even has been accused of supplying such merchandise to the market.I can’t seem piece this one together.

Hopefully the hard hitting investigative journalism of The Hauls of Shame headed up by hobby white knight Peter Nash can add this to “Operation Bambino” and his other deep investigative reports.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 01-30-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Dan if that’s the case where would a guy like Rogers obtain such questionable merchandise to consign to Coaches Corner? It’s not like he’s connected or knows of anyone that could provide such merchandise, has business dealings with a person who could supply such items. Or even has been accused of supplying such merchandise to the market.I can’t seem piece this one together.

Hopefully the hard hitting investigative journalism of The Hauls of Shame headed up by hobby white knight Peter Nash can add this to “Operation Bambino” and his other deep investigative reports.
I know, right? I'm biting my nails waiting for that hard hitting piece of journalism to come forth.

PS where did Travis Roste go? Anyone seen him around?

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-30-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Coaches Corner? This is hilarious!
Question: when Rogers bought the PSA5 MC Wagner, if I am not mistaken, Doug was handling his phone bid at the live auction. Was that one Legendary owner dealing with another?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Jay that is a good question.

What a mess. Is there no limit to the sleaze in collecting? At long last have they no decency?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM
Rob.ert Fra.ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Coaches Corner? This is hilarious!
Question: when Rogers bought the PSA5 MC Wagner, if I am not mistaken, Doug was handling his phone bid at the live auction. Was that one Legendary owner dealing with another?
What’s this all about? Coach’s Corner praising John Rogers for a letter he wrote about a signed Babe Ruth bat they were selling. More shocking is that the signed Babe Ruth bat is made out to the actor Gary Cooper. “It is a one of a kind, also has a letter from famous John Rogers of Arkansas, and value is truly "priceless" on this HOF worthy item.”

Famous for what? Yeah right give me a break! See link below:

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/235/babe-r...al-bb-bat.aspx
Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
What’s this all about? Coach’s Corner praising John Rogers for a letter he wrote about a signed Babe Ruth bat they were selling. More shocking is that the signed Babe Ruth bat is made out to the actor Gary Cooper. “It is a one of a kind, also has a letter from famous John Rogers of Arkansas, and value is truly "priceless" on this HOF worthy item.”

Famous for what? Yeah right give me a break! See link below:

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot/235/babe-r...al-bb-bat.aspx
Didn't realize he was in the business of authenticating signatures...this is really getting interesting.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Didn't realize he was in the business of authenticating signatures...this is really getting interesting.
He is probably as good as the people who purport to be in that business.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He is probably as good as the people who purport to be in that business.
No arguments from me on that, just surprised to see...really had no idea that John Rogers was mixed up with CC, and even more surprised to find out he's a partner in Legendary auctions.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Maybe he is the criminal mastermind behind everything. Mastro shmastro, it was Mr Rogers' neighborhood.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM
Robert Klevens

Default I don't get it

How are these crooks still in business?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (69.2 KB, 492 views)
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
How are these crooks still in business?
Because everything they sell comes with an opinion. How is Morales still in business?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Because everything they sell comes with an opinion. How is Morales still in business?
Precisely, because it is an "opinion" it's very difficult to prosecute, I believe.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Precisely, because it is an "opinion" it's very difficult to prosecute, I believe.
If it's a fraudulent opinion it's still fraud. If I know an item is not genuine, it makes no difference if I say "it's genuine" or "in my opinion, it's genuine."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-31-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If it's a fraudulent opinion it's still fraud. If I know an item is not genuine, it makes no difference if I say "it's genuine" or "in my opinion, it's genuine."
Sure, all you have to do is prove it's a fraudulent opinion, no problem.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Sure, all you have to do is prove it's a fraudulent opinion, no problem.
And how is that any harder or easier than proving a statement of fact was made with knowledge it was false?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
And how is that any harder or easier than proving a statement of fact was made with knowledge it was false?
You're the one saying how easy it is, not me. And I am telling you that I have been told by the people actually doing the work that it's not easy. If it was then CC would be in hot water....(and maybe they are, I don't know)

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You're the one saying how easy it is, not me. And I am telling you that I have been told by the people actually doing the work that it's not easy. If it was then CC would be in hot water....
I never said it was easy. I am saying that the language they use is not the reason it's hard, but rather that it's hard to prove a fraudulent state of mind.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
As a serious question, rather than an argument type question.

With something like an autograph opinion is there no leeway for incompetence?
I could express an opinion about an autograph, and put it in writing. But aside from a handful of items I own, all cheap I'd be likely to be wrong. (Unless I'm sure it's bad because the item is too new to have been signed by that person)
So If I claimed something was good and it became an issue a lack of knowledge or skill wouldn't help?

I realize there's also a difference between someone Doing that as a business and someone selling random stuff.
Just like claiming incompetence wouldn't help if I fixed something wrong and someone got hurt.

Steve B
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I never said it was easy. I am saying that the language they use is not the reason it's hard, but rather that it's hard to prove a fraudulent state of mind.
Plus, the odds of getting a jury that knows anything at all about autographs is not good...Mr Morales taking the stand with his "FBI background in forensics" would probably make the average jury member star struck.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

In a private suit if I were defending you, I would claim that because you were not holding yourself out as an expert, the plaintiff was not entitled to reasonably rely on your "opinion" or that it was not material.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

I don't know about that. I think if you read one of CC's LOA's you would find a lot of verbiage making them not liable for their opinion. I haven't read one but I would bet they are pretty good at denying culpability.....
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I don't know about that. I think if you read one of CC's LOA's you would find a lot of verbiage making them not liable for their opinion. I haven't read one but I would bet they are pretty good at denying culpability.....
I think it's quite obvious that as long as they've been running their bogus operation and the FBI hasn't already shut them down that it's been deemed not an easy task.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That's another issue. I haven't seen one either so can't comment.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I think it's quite obvious that as long as they've been running their bogus operation and the FBI hasn't already shut them down that it's been deemed not an easy task.
Given the amount of fraud that goes on in this world, it's obviously not an easy task to build a case that will hold up on a beyond a reasonable doubt standard. Some get busted but most do not. And prosecutorial resources are scarce relative to the number of fraudsters.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-31-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

Peter- here is something I don't understand, and maybe you can explain it: if I rendered an opinion on an autograph, and I got it wrong (I called a bogus autograph genuine) I agree that I could have simply given an erroneous opinion.

But if you gave me a thousand bogus autographs to authenticate, and I said all thousand were genuine, isn't there a tipping point where nobody would believe me? Wouldn't it at some point become obvious that I was committing fraud?

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-31-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Given the amount of fraud that goes on in this world, it's obviously not an easy task to build a case that will hold up on a beyond a reasonable doubt standard. Some get busted but most do not. And prosecutorial resources are scarce relative to the number of fraudsters.
CC and Morales are the most obvious fraudsters in the hobby at this time...I would think if what they were doing was easy to prosecute it would have been done by now. They're gaming the system.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Barry, if nobody believed you then is it fraud? At that point your opinion wouldn't be material.

But where I think you meant to go is where I was going with this originally: that at some point there can be enough circumstantial evidence that a seller knows his opinion is false; and if a seller knows his opinion is false that's just as fraudulent as affirmatively stating the item is genuine.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Barry Sloate

I don't know what the threshhold is for fraud, but I understand your response. It seems like CC will go on indefinitely.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
CC and Morales are the most obvious fraudsters in the hobby at this time...I would think if what they were doing was easy to prosecute it would have been done by now. They're gaming the system.
Or living on borrowed time.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Rob.ert Fra.ser

Quote:
It's true that Peter Nash is friendly with John Rogers. Nash said in court filed papers that John Rogers had agreed to contribute $10,000 for Nash's legal fees... The NY Daily News wrote an article about it, see link below.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ite...morabilia-exec

When I tried to contact John Rogers to ask him why he was giving money to Peter Nash to defend his lawsuit, John Rogers had his attorney send me a cease and desist letter not to contact him.

I have a copy of an signed affidavit from John Rogers dated July 26, 2012 that he loaned approximately $166,200 to Peter Nash. The third sentence of the affidavit states:

"During the years of 2009 and 2010 I loaned approximately $166,200 to Mr. Nash. These wire transfers were unsecured loans for which no formal loan agreements or documents were executed between Mr. Nash, myself or my companies."

My wife and I have a Judgment against Peter Nash and Roxanne Nash. As of today the Judgment including the 8.5% interest amounts to approximately $500,000. I have a bunch of collateral from Peter Nash which would help pay down the Judgment but does Peter Nash give me any provenance or try to help me sell it, no. For example I have an Ed Delahanty Trophy bat that Peter Nash gave to me as collateral on the bat it says "Presented To Edward Delahanty Four Home Runs July 13, 1896". But Peter Nash has refused to help me sell it. Nash writes volumes about baseball memorabilia and goes into extreme details on his Hauls of Shame website but refuses to write anything about the rare memorabilia that he gave me as collateral.
Hey John Rogers I have a great deal for you. I’ll sell you all of Peter Nash’s memorabilia that I have as collateral. You can call your buddy up Peter Nash and I’m sure he will give you the provenance of the memorabilia, after all you did loan him unsecured loans of $166,200, so it makes no sense that he wouldn’t give you provenance on this material. It would be a great deal for you and just think you would be helping your buddy out by paying down some of his debt. Remember my Judgment against Nash gets paid off first before you can get any of your money back from Nash.

Taking off a few items I have sold theirs approximately 60 items of Nash’s collateral I have for sale. Peter Nash puts a value of approximately $125,000 on this stuff. This deal would not include the Ed Delahanty bat that would have to be a separate deal. Make me an offer!

Last edited by Sunny; 01-31-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

15 posts and every last one of them relates to Peter Nash.

Seems like he owns you.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
15 posts and every last one of them relates to Peter Nash.

Seems like he owns you.
Scott no offense I wonder how laid back you would be with having been physically threatened, ripped off for huge amounts of money, given questionable or fake items for collateral on debts owed. All from a guy who pretends to be a hobby sleuth and savior, while yanking his pud in cyberspace and pointing out the whims and legal troubles of others while taking the 5th on his own.

I don’t think Nash “owns” Robert, more like he “owes” Robert money…if anything.

I think poking Rogers is fair if he’s so keen on Nash, and so quick to consign “memorabilia” to Coaches Corner…LOL.

Just my two cents there needs to be 1000 more posts on Nash the hobby needs to know what this guy is.