NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

All just slight miscuts showing two names or two backs:

I also have the Bob Groom with an extra layer of magenta that makes it look completely different than any of its counter parts, but I have shown it enough.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Sean Costello

Nice Mitchell; too bad about the crease, though. That was always one of my favorite cards in the T206 set.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Sean Costello

Here is a missing color that I picked up recently:

scan0003.jpg

Last edited by Sean; 11-27-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM

Default Sean...

Great score Sean....We have the same taste in cardboard
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Nice Mitchell; too bad about the crease, though. That was always one of my favorite cards in the T206 set.
That crease really is holding it back. It may be a good candidate for the "Our Friend The Crease" thread.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Jon L

Amazing cards guys. One question though: How did some of you piece together 3 and 4 cards to get a full picture of the overstrike on the backs. Random Ebay and BST finds? That's almost more impressive to me than these already great cards!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Adam

Cool Barbeau T206. Reminds me of the Omen movie with the image of the rod going through the guy seen on a photo.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM

My goodness John, beautiful cards as always! Those are great! Thanks for sharing.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

John.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I was looking through past auctions at Legendary and ran across this 2007 lot of freaks:

Final Bid(Includes Buyers Premium): $1,969

How much do you think this lot would get in an auction today with the "freak" prices soaring?

Last edited by bn2cardz; 03-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 PM

What do you guys think a common with a Wagner, Pittsburg at the top would bring?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
What do you guys think a common with a Wagner, Pittsburg at the top would bring?
A lot of money
Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Sean Costello

John, this is the first time that I've seen most of these.That's a great collection.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Craig M

Andy, can you tell me the date that this lot sold for $1969?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have owned a few Polar Bears where the back was blurry at the top, which I thought might have resulted in something like the front of that Rhoades. Weird that the back has such a clear ad.

Thanks for posting - I had not seen any of these.

By the way - has anyone ever seen a back with no front? I know it would be incredibly unlikely, but?

Last edited by Runscott; 05-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Chris....

deleted post

Last edited by mrvster; 05-09-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Brendan Mullen

My Tinker. Either missing the red, or was at the very end of production when the red ran out. Not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tinker_0001.jpg (77.7 KB, 650 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

You got that Tinker for a good price. I would have bid, but the seller seemed kind of weird with the 'came from a plaque' descriptions. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Johnny, with all due respect, i think your estimates are rather high on that scrap lot. All very rare and pretty amazing, but i think your pricing is just too high, IMO.

Regarding your comparison of "scrap" examples extant to Wagners, Planks, BL 460's, etc. Yes, they exist in very small quantities, but "supply & demand' is the name of the game. your scraps are so thinly collected, there are way more collectors that want Wagners, Planks & BL 460's then there are that want scraps. Mind you, i realize that more & more collectors are getting interested in these errors/misprints/scraps as each year passes, but collectors such as Wonka, Chris, Jamie, yourself and a few others are all battling each other and driving the prices very high. I'm not so sure too many other collectors out there can or want to battle you guys for them. So in actuality theres just a handful of you collecting these rare printing errors. For the money, they'd just rather have other cards, or not even try bidding knowing one of you will win the item(s).

Now, for the record, i myself actually LOVE these errors, and as you know i used to have a very respectable scrap collection many years ago (i was the first one to convince SGC to slab errors & blank backs, and list missing ink or upside down back, blank back, etc on the flips- true story)...no offense to be taken here, you know i think you're a super guy and have one of the best scrap/error collections out there, but i just wanted to respond to your post above.

Best-
MS

Edited to Add: As mentioned above, SGC wasn't slabbing such cards at all, so i convinced them they should slab them "A" and list the error on the flips. Had them do it at a show years back.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-09-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsnyc View Post
johnny, with all due respect, i think your estimates are rather high on that scrap lot. All very rare and pretty amazing, but i think your pricing is just too high, imo.

Regarding your comparison of "scrap" examples extant to wagners, planks, bl 460's, etc. Yes, they exist in very small quantities, but "supply & demand' is the name of the game. Your scraps are so thinly collected, there are way more collectors that want wagners, planks & bl 460's then there are that want scraps. Mind you, i realize that more & more collectors are getting interested in these errors/misprints/scraps as each year passes, but collectors such as wonka, chris, jamie, yourself and a few others are all battling each other and driving the prices very high. I'm not so sure too many other collectors out there can or want to battle you guys for them. So in actuality theres just a handful of you collecting these rare printing errors. For the money, they'd just rather have other cards, or not even try bidding knowing one of you will win the item(s).

Now, for the record, i myself actually love these errors, and as you know i used to have a very respectable scrap collection many years ago (i was the first one to convince sgc to slab errors & blank backs, and list missing ink or upside down back, blank back, etc on the flips- true story)...no offense to be taken here, you know i think you're a super guy and have one of the best scrap/error collections out there, but i just wanted to respond to your post above.

Best-
ms
big +1
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Brendan Mullen

Runscott, I've had that Tinker for 20+ years. I got it for $20 I think. But yes, I did get it for a good price. haha Did another sell recently? I'm curious for how much?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Vin¢£nt J@m£s Mo®£tti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Runscott, I've had that Tinker for 20+ years. I got it for $20 I think. But yes, I did get it for a good price. haha Did another sell recently? I'm curious for how much?
This one sold a week or so ago on the bay for $260, but wasn't listed properly. I was the under bidder.............I'm always the under bidder
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Brendan Mullen

Much nicer than mine too!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Default Scrap pricing.....

first of all, let me start out by saying it's too difficult to truly put a price on items that are truly one of a kind, or of a handful known to exist.....rarity doesn't always equal value, especially when talking freak/scraps.....

Mike-

you are one of the collectors from back in the day who I looked up to, and still do.....we still are not on the same page when pricing these, but I think that is in part to your being another pioneer of freak....you actually got me into these, when you were exiting, I was entering....(wow that didn't sound good").....well, there are more collectors realizing what these are, and the sky is the limit.....you saw them when collectors thought they were garbage, and didn't give them the respect, o how the tables have turned....

These cards, I am going out on a limb and truly speaking my mind, are the niche of the future T206 advanced collector who has everything and wants that X factor that TRULY sets their set apart....These are the future....When you have everything you want in the monster besides Wagner, Doyle, Ect, where are you going to turn?? if you have rare backs....YOU WANT MORE....these cards will fill that gap, because not many can have them....GUESS WHAT...try to find 'em....

money can't always buy these types of cards

Mike,

You are one of the best guys I know here and listen to my rants....just remember me if you get sick of any of your blank backs or scrap, I'll gladly take a low ball offer...

great to have you back....

btw....going out on a limb, can almost gaurentee that my estimate on that freak lot maybe double what I estimated in a few years...

Ya a Magie Is awesome, and I don't Own one....but Id rather have my Kruger Twins or even one kruger....

Time will tell on these crazy cards, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news to the haters, THE MARKET WILL GROW EXPONENTIALLY....

that means prices on these will grow exponentially....

Btw....

If the Hall was in REA with an opening bid of 5 K, do you think someone would bid???

We may never know

try to find another one

Last edited by mrvster; 05-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Craig M

I know the exchanges here seem to get heated but as a new guy on the block, I am grateful for the exchanges because it gives me insight and knowledge.

I also hope that guys do not delete their posts because each post sets a timeline especially when prices are thrown out there. If posts are messed with the timeline gets interrupted.

I do want to say that as the economy gets better I will be a good customer to the guys that have the freaks/scraps/miscuts etc and will pay good money because that stuff is drying up.

Regards,

Craig
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Craig...

You have been a great addition to the freak army and I welcome you....

Chris B,

I must apologize if I sounded out of line.....I'm so passionate about my scraps and cards, everyone is truly entitled to their opinions and pricing, but you know the deal.....
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM

Craig- nothing is heated here at all, just some great dialogue between knowledgable collectors.

Johnny- i hear ya brother, i certainly see your point. my old Knight Portrait (drastic) miscut (that Wonka now owns) i got from another board member about 5 years ago for $700. i've asked Wonka many times to buy it back, nope, it's in his vault (c'mon Wonks, whata say bud? )...today the Doolin miscut in REA is already at $4500 w/ juice, so i definitely hear you. i admit, you are certainly more in tune to the market for these things nowadays, but i just can't fully see some of the prices you quoted- ("$8K each" type of talk)...but who really knows.

You're a gem, never change!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Johnny

One of these posts were deleted which is where this latest exchange started. I saw it before this got more in depth. For the prices that were stated, I'll take all of them you have, everyone of them. Shoot me your list and those prices are not an issue.

Great cards everyone who has them in their personal collections. The sky is the limit at this point on these crazy cards !!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

It's all good Johnny.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM

Default Wonka.....

That freak collection you have is RIDICULOUS!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Default Chris and Adam...

Thanks!

Adam.....your taste in the freaks are TOP NOTCH....and in T206 in general....
You are someone who would deserve my cards
You are one of the greatest collectors of these we have on the forum....when you don't post, it's like not hearing from Jim or Tim

Pricing of these are too subjective, but i'll tell you i'm the king of my castle

Chris,
Your like my freak bro, that's why I was like
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 PM

Default Mike....

Man you are nailing it on the HEAD

You are going to be another big player in this arena, and we are glad to have you....

I hate getting overzealous on these, but trust me, they have only started to catch fire...

8 K would be a bargain on some....
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Craig M

Adam, you are spot on saying the sky is the limit on these cards.

I personally don't have the liquid cash of $400K for the eBay Wags but I probably can scrounge up $8K - $20K for that 1/1 that you freaks have to sell.

Last edited by Craig M; 05-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM
Clayton

I have to agree that I think these cards are only going to grow in popularity, going back to Johnny's well-coined term "the snowflakes" of T206. There's a certain something to having a card from the set that doesn't have another one that looks just like it.

I think in the future more T206 collectors will be seeking these out and probably paying big bucks for them (as they already are). When you talk about "rare" these are the cards I think of in the T206 set, aside from the Doyle N.Y., Plank, Magie, Wagner, etc.

Beautiful cards everyone....Wonka hits a grand slam (as usual )!!

Great thread everyone-

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM

Default Adam,Craig and Clayton....

You guys are EXACTLY right and have very keen insight....

++1
Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Typos & printing errors

Typo errors

.............. "Poor man's" Joe Doyle error .................................................. .................................................. ...... MAGIE error
Printer's remnant mark...../\

Carl Lundgren missing BLUE ink

.................................................. ......................................... PINKY .................................................. ..... BLANK-BACK

DOUBLE NAMES and UPPER NAMES

Walsh missing a color or perhaps color-faded ?

TED Z
__________________________________________________ ______________________

LOOKING FOR these T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set

CAMNITZ....CRAWFORD (bat)....DOYLE (port)....JORDAN (bat)....MARQUARD
McGRAW (port-cap)....McQUILLAN (bat).....TINKER (bat off).....WILTSE (port-cap)

Last edited by tedzan; 01-02-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM

Default Ted....

You own the Puttman PROOF?????????
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I don't own anything I'm just renting at a high rate.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

i tried sending a pm but your box is full.

are you interested in selling your printers mark doyle or do you know anyone else who may have one for sale?

looking to add one to my collection

kevin
Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Default wonka.....

Penthouse living you are

God Bless
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
i just recently saw one of these. where was it?

kevin
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
i tried sending a pm but your box is full.

are you interested in selling your printers mark doyle or do you know anyone else who may have one for sale?

looking to add one to my collection

kevin

Kevin

Until I find a better looking Doyle with the "printer's mark", I'm keeping this one.

Anyhow, check-out Joe Doyle's with PIEDMONT, SWEET CAP, and POLAR BEAR backs....and, you'll eventually find one with a printer's mark.

My experience indicates that approx. 7 % of these will have this remnant mark from the "N" in "Nat'l".

TED Z
Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

hmmm

7 percent is a lot. i have not really seen one other than yours yet.

i also have not looked that hard yet either.

i will have to keep an eye out better i guess.

kevin
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Sean Costello

Kevin, I seem to recall Dan had one on ebay a couple months ago. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Kevin Qui.nn

i will not be paying 1200 bucks for a card missing a period from the caption.

i would much rather watch someone torture a litter of puppies in front of some children.

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 05-12-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Sent

Just sent that post to the Humane Society. Not sure they'll enjoy it, even as sarcasm.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

ok. let scale it back some.

i would much rather get raped in the no no hole by a dull bladed chainsaw.

kevin
Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Daryl

That was uncalled for.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default How to

How to win friends and influence people. Really Kevin ?