NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 benny bengough question

Posted By: scott altland

besides being card number #1,condition sensitive,why even in low grades does the card demand the higher$$$?
thanks,
scott

Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Someone will post below saying the low condition ones are overpriced.

I've seen lots of 33 Goudeys, I remember years ago some dealers would just have a stack or two of them on a table, no holders, just a stack of cards. All of the cards would be worn. Very worn. They looked like a kid had kept them in their back pocket for a few years. The cards didn't hold up well, I think, something to do with the sandwich design of the Goudey card, they have multiple layers of different types of paper. With Bengough on the top of the pile, he'd 'catch' lots of wear. And I think some of the Bengough cards were literally worn to pieces. I think there are fewer Bengough cards out there than other players, because of this.

And... it is a fairly good looking card, don't you think?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I think you can ask the same question for most #1 cards of popular sets. When trying to put a set together, I know I appreciate getting the #1 so when I flip through my cards, it starts with #1 instead of say #4 or something like that. Even if the set isn't complete yet, having #1 feels like the goal is more in sight.

Here's my card. Not low grade, but it feels right to show it in this thread.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Nice card.

Whenever I see that image I think of Ray Kinsella's dad, John, in Field of Dreams...

Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Frank it's funny you say that - I bought the Goudey Paul Richards card because it reminded me of Kinsella:

Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

King,
That is an awesome card.

As was prophesized above, I think low-grade Bengoughs are over-priced. The card is not tougher to find than other low-number Goudeys, just tough to find ones that look like King's.
JimB

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

This Bengough pricing has been brought up before. The T206 Sherry Magee (non error) often sells for more than other T206s commons due to its association with the famous Magie error. So there is association going on with the pricing. I'm sure a no-name scrub player's 1961 Yankees jersey sells for premium over his 1962 jersey due to the association with Maris/Mantle's famous home run chase. The scrub may have had a better yeras in 62, but that doesn't matter.

In the Magee case, Magee himself became more famous due to the error, with player notoriety obviously having effect on card prices. Even with other cards or memorabiia, modern collectors will say "Oh yeah, he's the error guy." That alone will boost his prices a bit.

Brings to mind when Jerry Koosman boasted his rookie card is one of the most expensive in the hobby.

Besides, you have to give an extra two points to Benny Bengough for his name. Sounds like kid's board game or brand of gum.

Then there was the football player named Marion Butts. Growing up with that name, you'd better be a future 260 pound NFL All-Pro.