NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Zach

Default Horrible Ebay rule

So I have not sold anything on Ebay since August, and recently decided to sell something for a little extra money. The buyer sends me payment the next day and I go into Paypal and it says the transaction is completed; however, funds are not available. I never saw anything like it before so I contacted Paypal. They told me Ebay blocked me from getting my payment until I ship the item, include tracking, and they see it's delivered, and I have to wait three days after it is delivered before they let me have my money. I said why the hell are you treated me like a child? I have been on Ebay since 2004 and have been a seller of a decent amount of items since 2010. They told me it's because on some things I sold last May the last five buyers gave me a low amount of stars for shipping. I know why it is because I messed up the shipping on their items and the post office kept sending the items back to me. I communicated with the buyers and even gave shipping refunds. They gave me positive feedback but gave me a little zing on my stars. I learned my lesson on how to ship items correctly so it never happens again.

I still have 100% positive feedback as a seller and a buyer. 489 feedbacks and 488 positives and 1 neutral, yet Ebay treats me like a child because of some stars. The reps on the phone kept justifying it saying they are trying to prevent customers from being defrauded, I understand that but I never ripped anyone off, I screwed up a few shipments 1 year ago but made them right. They now have this new policy that began 6 months ago about holding payments on people for stupid pathetic reasons like this. I have striven to be a good seller and ship super fast, most of the time shipping the same day as I get payment which I have just done on this transaction too, I do not think I deserve this kind of treatment from Ebay and they refused to make a one time adjustment for me. They said my "infractions" would fall off June 20th, what is wrong with these people. I am all for preventing frauds, but c'mon this is too much!

Last edited by zljones; 05-03-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Yes they have some weird rules. I sold some boxed set DVDs that had 7 discs in them and Ebay has a rule that the most you can charge is $3. I advertise Priority Mail and its impossible to ship them for that. They have ZERO flexiblity.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Definitely a pain. Discussed before here: Link
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Definitely a pain. Discussed before here: Link
Now I see that I am not alone. I guess I ignored this thread before because I did not think it would apply to me. Now I am on the same ship. To make amtter worse the ebay rep told me they were going to front me the money for the shipping but when I set up the shipping they took it out of my account today. So now I temporarily loose money on this transaction.

Last edited by zljones; 05-04-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 AM

eBay has been putting the hammer down on many sellers in a multitude of ways, and not just with holding payment. So you at least you can feel relieved that it's not just you. They've been instituting new rules and penalties on sellers so eBay becomes more like amazon.

Last edited by drc; 05-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default New Buyer Protection Rule

I just got this notification this morning.

The updated eBay Buyer Protection Policy goes into effect on June 19, 2012:
A provision has been added stipulating that in some cases we may refund part of the cost of an item to the buyer, and receive reimbursement from the seller, to cover differences between the item described and the item actually received, such as items received with small parts missing or minor repairs needed. Buyers may be asked to provide written proof from an authorized third party detailing the cost of such repairs. In these cases, we will not require the buyer to return the item to the seller.

I can't see ebay lasting much longer as there appears to be minimal seller protection. I for one have limited my selling on that site.

r/
Frank
Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
I just got this notification this morning.

The updated eBay Buyer Protection Policy goes into effect on June 19, 2012:
A provision has been added stipulating that in some cases we may refund part of the cost of an item to the buyer, and receive reimbursement from the seller, to cover differences between the item described and the item actually received, such as items received with small parts missing or minor repairs needed. Buyers may be asked to provide written proof from an authorized third party detailing the cost of such repairs. In these cases, we will not require the buyer to return the item to the seller.

I can't see ebay lasting much longer as there appears to be minimal seller protection. I for one have limited my selling on that site.

r/
Frank
That's horrid it will be buyers word against yours and sellers can loose money or have delays in getting money. If a picky buyer wants to complain unneccessarily, then it can delay getting funds for weeks. I just got off the phone agruing with them a second time, this time it's because of those shipping charges they took from me even though they said they would cover it. I spoke to manager and she gave me refund for ebay fees. Not equal to $4.90 though.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Horrible Ebay rule

How many times do those idiots have to hit you over the head with a tire iron before you realize that they do not want you to sell on their site?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Tom Swift

Default 45 Day Dispute Rule-EBAY

I bought a E95 Caramel Art Devlin from a buyer in January, sent it to Beckett for grading in March received my cards two days ago and found out it's a counterfeit and EBAY says I can't open a case because it's been over 45 days. THAT'S BS when the buyer guaranteed it would grade and was an original. And now she won't return my emails.

I don't send cards in the next day for grading when I receive them. I wait until I get ten or so to ship to the grader. And furthermore it took 35 days from the day I mailed the cards to Beckett until when I got them back in my possession.

Not really a EBAY seller issue but thought I would get my two minutes worth since we were talking about EBAY.

If I was this seller I would refund or credit my money.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
how many times do those idiots have to hit you over the head with a tire iron before you realize that they do not want you to sell on their site?
lol!

Last edited by zljones; 05-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
I bought a E95 Caramel Art Devlin from a buyer in January, sent it to Beckett for grading in March received my cards two days ago and found out it's a counterfeit and EBAY says I can't open a case because it's been over 45 days. THAT'S BS when the buyer guaranteed it would grade and was an original. And now she won't return my emails.

I don't send cards in the next day for grading when I receive them. I wait until I get ten or so to ship to the grader. And furthermore it took 35 days from the day I mailed the cards to Beckett until when I got them back in my possession.

Not really a EBAY seller issue but thought I would get my two minutes worth since we were talking about EBAY.

If I was this seller I would refund or credit my money.
Out the seller for this card.

This situation is always very difficult, and I run into it also. If it's a common like an E95 Devlin that's relatively cheaper, you end up just having to eat it. However, if I purchased a more expensive card that is raw, I will send it to a TPG w/ a shorter turnaround time, and not 45 business days. Really, you need something like 10 business days b/c that ends up being something like 20 real days, and ebay counts 45 real days and not business days. It's a huge pain, and one of the problems of buying raw cards from sellers that are not well known or have a solid reputation.

If you are not certain about the authenticity of the card, and want a free "quick opinion," I would post it here. Although there are a few that will say if you can't tell it's real, don't buy it, there are many, many people on this board that are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I can't tell you how much money that I have saved myself by posting a thread about the card in question on the board, and someone tells me it's fake. There are a lot of people very willing to help you out on this board, for free, w/ a turnaround time faster than any TPG.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Mark Fox

The problem is the fact Ebay owns Paypal andthat Paypal is not a bank so they can operate by their own rules. The money you have in your Paypal account can be frozen and taken from your account for some very flimsy and in my mind, fraudulent reasons.

A co-worker of mine sold tickets to a Pittsburgh Penguins playoff game on Ebay, the buyer made payment via Paypal the day before the game. The buyer requested to have the tickets emailed to him since the game was the next day, which can easily be done as a season ticket holder by electronically forwarding the tickets. My co-worker forwarded the tickets via email. A week later... a week after the game, the buyer filed a dispute with Paypal that he never received the tickets. Paypal and Ebay asked for proof of shipment or delivery. Only they do not accept emails as proof of shipment or delivery! As a result they sided with the buyer and took took $750 out of my co-worker's paypal account.

I don't have a paypal account, I process all my ebay purchases through Paypal but I refuse to have an account with them. If and when I ever want to sell on Ebay there are alternative ways to accept credit card payments on your auctions. Merchantinc.com is one such service. Their transfer fees and percentages are cheaper than Paypal with only I think an $8/month member fee. And this is a merchant account, which means that your funds from sales get deposited directly into your bank account and NOT a Paypal type account. With a merchant account, your funds are protected by federal banking regulations "Since your merchant account is provided by a real US bank". Unfortunately, PayPal is not considered a bank in the United States, and therefore it does not have to adhere to federal banking guidelines.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post

A co-worker of mine sold tickets to a Pittsburgh Penguins playoff game on Ebay, the buyer made payment via Paypal the day before the game. The buyer requested to have the tickets emailed to him since the game was the next day, which can easily be done as a season ticket holder by electronically forwarding the tickets. My co-worker forwarded the tickets via email. A week later... a week after the game, the buyer filed a dispute with Paypal that he never received the tickets. Paypal and Ebay asked for proof of shipment or delivery. Only they do not accept emails as proof of shipment or delivery! As a result they sided with the buyer and took took $750 out of my co-worker's paypal account.
As for your co-workers issue, it's a hassle, but that is why we have a legal system. If the buyer and seller were in different states it might be a federal crime but it's a crime (maybe simple theft, not sure) and I would think could be fairly easily prosecuted. If someone did that to me they would end up paying me because I would do my very best to get justice. BTW, I am not talking about going against paypal, they usually have more lawyers and ducks in a row than it would be worth. The guy who said he didn't get them committed fraud.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Tom Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Out the seller for this card.

This situation is always very difficult, and I run into it also. If it's a common like an E95 Devlin that's relatively cheaper, you end up just having to eat it. However, if I purchased a more expensive card that is raw, I will send it to a TPG w/ a shorter turnaround time, and not 45 business days. Really, you need something like 10 business days b/c that ends up being something like 20 real days, and ebay counts 45 real days and not business days. It's a huge pain, and one of the problems of buying raw cards from sellers that are not well known or have a solid reputation.

If you are not certain about the authenticity of the card, and want a free "quick opinion," I would post it here. Although there are a few that will say if you can't tell it's real, don't buy it, there are many, many people on this board that are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I can't tell you how much money that I have saved myself by posting a thread about the card in question on the board, and someone tells me it's fake. There are a lot of people very willing to help you out on this board, for free, w/ a turnaround time faster than any TPG.
I would like to out the seller. Would you do this on this forum or ebay forum. thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 PM

There's small claims court. They'd accept evidence eBay/Paypal wouldn't. Such as email transfer.

Last edited by drc; 05-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Steven

Im amazed at how much less business Ive conducted on ebay since I joined net54. I made the biggest sale on a bb card of my life a couple months ago and took somewhere between 5-15% off the price just to make sure ebay couldnt get their greasy fingers on the transaction in case the buyer was a schmuck who might try to screw me. Ive literally bought $46 of cards from there in the past 6 months of which $40 was a huge reprint set...its seems like the sun is setting on vintage cards for the bay...in the meantime Ive been quite a bit more familar with auction houses in the past year as well. With that said I've returned 3 items in my life b/c they "were not as decscribed" and ebay/pp refunded my money within days on both occasions and the auction house turned it into a huge fiasco...
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM
octavio ranzola

Feebay what a joke with rule after rule I never sell I just buy now.they truly are a joke.