NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
I am selling it because of ongoing financial issues brought on because of a paycut at work, so I have to sell most of my cards to pay off bills. I chose this one to sell because I wanted to spare others I charished more. I sent this to SGC so I could actually sell it, if I did not there would be those that would doubt the authenticity. Believe me I hate to let this baby go. And I also am puzzled it did not get slabbed, an AUTH holder would have been nice.
Sorry about your financial issues, I never took something like that into account. I assumed your selling was related to the card only. Hope your situation improves for you soon!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcarddan View Post
Sorry about your financial issues, I never took something like that into account. I assumed your selling was related to the card only. Hope your situation improves for you soon!
I'm on looking real hard for a new job, so hopefully something will hit soon. At least for now I get to keep some cards, so at least not all have to go.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Larry

Default Re real or not

It's certainly not that difficult to tell if the card is real vs rescreened, i.e., a reprint or counterfeit made by taking a picture of a real card. Just check the print dot pattern, especially along the inner and outer black border lines and those around the name at the bottom of the card, as well as the name itself. As concerns the borders themselves, if they're straight and true, instead of comprised of an irregular dot pattern making them fuzzy under magnification (I suggest a 16x loupe), the card is almost certainly real. The dot pattern for Joe's uniform and face should also be regular (meaning linear), rather than seemingly random. As someone else also suggested, insofar as alterations are concerned, a black light can be quite "illuminating." In the early days of TPG, virtually every dealer buying raw cards brought his loupe to his table, not only to check dot patterns, but the card's edges (to determine if the card had been run through a paper press and thereby minutely enlarged, then cut back down to size to eliminate worn corners, thus producing "new" sharp corners. There used to be several fairly well-known dealers specializing in such altered cards before TPG really took hold, who would sell such cards as NMt-Mt. TPG has, IMHO, been of immense benefit to the hobby by putting these scammers out of business!

Hope this helps in the future,

Larry
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
In my experience you have to be careful when you choose "yes" to encapsulate cards as authentic, because when you go to print your invoice to send to SGC it switches to "no" so you have to cross it out and handwrite in "yes". I called SGC and they told me it's a glich in their system. Not sure if everyone has this issue.

-Alan

Thanks for mentioning this Alan, I had this happen to me recently and I had to resubmit a card in the next shipment and pay the full price again. That is a weird glitch they have
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Zach

I just listed this on Ebay tonight http://www.ebay.com/itm/290797533491...84.m1555.l2649.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Default Diogenes Alert

Al long last we have found an honest E-Bay seller. Thank you sir.