NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default Starting up another Orange Border thread! The E-unc handcut cards this time....

Thought I'd create a second thread discussing orange border cards but wanted to bring up the E-unc handcut variety from 1910 this time. Just as rare as the t210 orange border variants and every bit as attractive IMO though!

Here's a few that I have. I just was curious if anyone else on the board collects these or has knowledge of them. I believe that the common theory involving these is that they were cut off of a box. The actual players from this issue are much more scarce than the two team cards that exist. I sort of envision the boxes that these were cut from depicting one of the two team cards and then one or two of the actual players, making the players much more uncommon. Kinda like the boxes that held 1988 Topps cards for example!

I also know these bear a striking similarity to the 1911 Baseball Bats issue and that the poses are identical in many cases. Anyone know if there is any true relation between the two sets? Love to hear some feedback from anyone who's collected or has knowledge of the 1910 Orange Border set or the 1911 Baseball Bats issue.

The three variations of the Baseball Bats make that a really intruging set to discuss. We've also discussed the potential variants from the orange border set in the past as we've seen some cards, such as that Niles card, show up with some subtle differences all the while still resembling other cards from the set in general.

Looking forward to a quality discussion and if you've got cards from either set, now's the time for some show and tell!

orangehofers.jpg
Old 05-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Here's my one Baseball Bats:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Base Ball Bats Beaumont.jpg (51.0 KB, 236 views)
Old 05-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few scans

Attached Images
File Type: jpg peuncbaseballbats.jpg (49.4 KB, 232 views)
Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I'm not a collector of the set, just of the players I collect. But I do love this set.

1910 Orange Borders

1910 Orange Borders

1910 Orange Borders

1910 Orange Borders

1910 Orange Borders

Last edited by calvindog; 05-24-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

What's sort of funny is the orange bordered set may be the only set I've seen so far where SGC just totally ignores the measurements on the card. Unless there's a variation of the card that I haven't seen yet that doesn't have the borders at all. That Chase above for instance, got a 30 even without the borders. A few of mine got numerical grades as well even with wavy or otherwise obviously trimmed borders.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

What Jeff said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03orangeborderfront.jpg (16.9 KB, 222 views)
Old 05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
A few of mine got numerical grades as well even with wavy or otherwise obviously trimmed borders.
But that's the joke of the grading of this set -- they're all trimmed!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Default Orange Borders box

Here's an old pic of the box I once found online, but I can't remember where I got it. Lipset's Encyclopedia (Vol. 2) mentions the text on the top, bottom, and sides of the box. One of these four panels mentions the P.R. Warren Co., which is also identified on the back of the E125's (Possibly the printer or designer, as the E125's and orange borders are similar in style?
Anyone have any ideas?) Maybe someone will recognize this auction and still have the catalog, and be able to post more info or a better pic. Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 Orange Borders Box.jpg (74.5 KB, 223 views)
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Hal, that's great stuff. I can't believe we've never seen those two boxes -- or any others -- again.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 AM

SGC should have minimum size requirements for these cards. At the very least, the cards with the orange borders entirely cut off should not receive number grades.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

That's the funny thing - there don't appear to be size requirements with this set. Obviously a card with borders trimmed off isn't going to meet the size requirements set up by all the cards that have borders. Yet they still receive a numeric grade. Wavy or hacked up borders qualify as well. I can't say that I can think of any other set that gets this much flexibility from SGC either.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Jeff,
That Cobb sucks. You should get rid of it immediately. Call if you need help.
JimB
Old 05-26-2009, 06:15 AM
Rick Swaine

Default Uncatalogged E-Orange Border

Thought someone might want to see this Bill Donovan that's not listed in SCD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donovan.jpg (43.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Tim

Magee is also not listed in the SCD.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Default Donovan

I believe the Donovan with the orange borders is actually considered an orange bordered Baseball Bats because it includes a team name.

Brian
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Hey, thanks for showing both the Donovan and Magee cards!

The Donovan is a 1911 Baseball Bats card but that's perfectly fine since we've been discussing those in this set too. Baseball Bats have three distinct variations which Leon shows off very nicely in the second post in this thread. One variation has orange borders with a reddish background.

As for the Magee, I'm not sure. If you look close in the upper right corner and lower left corner, you can see that the border is dark and rounded. The orange borders have a thin WHITE border directly inside the orange border and the corners are always cut to right angles. There's also no hint of orange anywhere on it.

I know the Harry Niles that Ben Fisher has also has the rounded corners. I know the board was split down the middle on whether or not that card was an orange border or not. Maybe the Magee falls into the same catagory as the Niles?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Rick Swaine

Default Donovan - Baseball Bats

I suppose I should thank you for pointing out that my Orange Borders Donovan is actually a Baseball Bats - thus opening another difficult and expensive-to-fill hole in my type collection. Ignorance was so blissful.

Really... thanks for setting me straight!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Rick,
I do have an extra Pirates Team Card w/ Wagner that I could part with. This would be a VERY affordable example of an Orange Border. Let me know if you might have interest and I can get you a scan.

Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com
Old 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Default That was my scan of the box auction :)

That Orange Border box image was from an auction lot I cut from an old auction catalog included in SCD's back in the late 1990s-2002 era (Lipset I think). I recognize the green doodle bid in the bottom right corner. I'll see if I can find the catalog and see if that $1400 was the winning bid or what I wanted to bid

Last edited by fkw; 05-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.