NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 PM

Default 1888 DARTMOUTH solved

I came across this today and I know that this is 1884 Dartmouth now

https://libarchive.dartmouth.edu/cdm...id/13674/rec/6

Help needed Identifying this team/players. I posted about the poly institute and orphan boys (Wagner/Jackson). I have my dad’s tobacco era through dead ball era collection and I’m trying to identify these pieces. He died when I was a kid and he left his collection to me. His collection means the world to me and I’m not trying to gain attention or money from it. I am just trying to make sense of his notes as well as the items that he left me. please click the link below for the picture and my research. The second link is information about 1884 quick steps. I went with this because I began researching the D which led me to Delaware which led me to quick steps which led me to Dan Casey. The man sitting in the middle definitely does resemble him

My photo cabinet that I own is on the second and third page of the first doc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hM9vOK4TgC-k-0

1884 quicksteps information

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...FFBShD9bt4RbW8

Last edited by Robinsol1887; 07-20-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:37 PM

I’m a little confused by some of the information that is presented but as far as the team image with what may be a “D” on the uniform, it definitely appears to be an 1880’s team considering the uniforms and the type of albumen image. Likely a team from California considering the address stamp that’s on it.

Rob M

P.S. Likely a college team or town team considering there are only ten players and a coach. However, it is a well funded team considering the quality of their uniforms.

Edited to add that I appear to like the word “considering”.

Last edited by ramram; 07-16-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
I’m a little confused by some of the information that is presented but as far as the team image with what may be a “D” on the uniform, it definitely appears to be an 1880’s team considering the uniforms and the type of albumen image. Likely a team from California considering the address stamp that’s on it.

Rob M

P.S. Likely a college team or town team considering there are only ten players and a coach. However, it is a well funded team considering the quality of their uniforms.

Edited to add that I appear to like the word “considering”.

Thank you for your response! I appreciate that you payed attention to the detail in my documents. There’s a receipt for framing in my dads old things. I think he had it framed there. Any insight helps!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Rhett Yeakley

No Detroit Tigers connection, sorry. The photo comparisons are all wrong. I may be misunderstanding what you are asking but no way are Cobb or any other Tigers in that photo.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

To me, who isn't a photo expert but looks at a ton of them, almost all of these men aren't even remotely close to who they are supposed to be resembling. My main test is simply by looking at the 2 people in question. The quicker my brain says, nope, the more likely it isn't whom it is thought it could be. On these none of them really needed a second glance....

btw, the Ty Cobb possibility is a bit comical. I mean it could be Ty's second cousin but its not close to being Ty. Almost no resemblance whatsoever to me. Maybe I am being to critical of the pics but just pointing out what I see in them.

Last edited by Leon; 07-18-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, that's a good method. When someone posts a photo and mentions a big name player, the first thing I do is look for someone in the photo who resembles that person - before looking at who the owner thinks is the person. In the case of the last pic he posted I didn't even pick the correct Jackson candidate.

Lots of nice photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To me, who isn't a photo expert but looks at a ton of them, almost all of these men aren't even remotely close to who they are supposed to be resembling. My main test is simply by looking at the 2 people in question. The quicker my brain says, nope, the more likely it isn't whom it is thought it could be. On these none of them really needed a second glance....

btw, the Ty Cobb possibility is a bit comical. I mean it could be Ty's second cousin but its not close to being Ty. Almost no resemblance whatsoever to me. Maybe I am being to critical of the pics but just pointing out what I see in them.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:17 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The individual identities are off, but they're all nice baseball photos.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Don Stokes

According to my uniform database the 1884 Wilmington Quicksteps wore light gray uniforms and caps with Purple Stockings and trimmings. So I don't think the photo is the Wilmington team.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Joe M.

Ty Cobb isn't in any of the photos.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 07-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
No Detroit Tigers connection, sorry. The photo comparisons are all wrong. I may be misunderstanding what you are asking but no way are Cobb or any other Tigers in that photo.
I was thinking Dan Casey. Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Help identifying the D on the uniforms
Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM

It's a town team or college team. Could be dozens of them in that region.

Rob M
Old 07-19-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Ty Cobb isn't in any of the photos.

Joe
Any thoughts or ideas on the D logo?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
The individual identities are off, but they're all nice baseball photos.
Hi drcy,

would you please take a look at my Google doc?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...CSxanIAlibUKmU

There’s a comparison of faces there. the only reason I am trying to figure out if this is a possibility is because of my dad’s notes. Amongst his collection he had an 1887 large Indianapolis Hoosier cabinet photograph, Plus nine hoosiers old judge tobacco cards, the 1869 Cincinnati red stockings sheet music booklet, and an 1888 St. Louis Browns Joseph P Hall original cabinet. These items found a new home with someone who loved the game just as much as my dad did. I’m just trying to figure out who these people are, where they came from, and if they have a better home. I love his pieces, but after talking with several collectors and placing a few of his items I understand the meaning that these types of memorabilia pieces have to many people. I want someone to feel what my dad felt
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 PM

Can you tell from your data base any further information?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dto7 View Post
According to my uniform database the 1884 Wilmington Quicksteps wore light gray uniforms and caps with Purple Stockings and trimmings. So I don't think the photo is the Wilmington team.
Quote:

Leon,

I sent you all of my photographs including (Photo comparisons of photos and links to my research notes. You only included two pictures in the thread, could you please include the rest? Again, thank you for offering to post these photographs in a new thread. I appreciate any and all input that I can get
Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Don Stokes

The 1885 Detroit Wolverines Home uniform were white and the road uniform were gray and both had "RED" belts and stockings. I guess that means no Dan Casey.

Last edited by Dto7; 07-20-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You are welcome to post whatever you want to. I posted what you sent me. I don't care to post pictures that much.....but again, you are welcome to. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsol1887 View Post
Leon,

I sent you all of my photographs including (Photo comparisons of photos and links to my research notes. You only included two pictures in the thread, could you please include the rest? Again, thank you for offering to post these photographs in a new thread. I appreciate any and all input that I can get
Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM

Mystery solved. It is 1884 Dartmouth
Old 07-20-2018, 03:39 PM
Matt

Damn, just saw this; as a Dartmouth '98 had I seen it earlier I could have helped solve it! Great picture.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 PM

So if that is 1888 Dartmouth then, isn’t that Lee Viau and Fred Woodcock?
Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Don Stokes

I think you're on a fishing trip and you ran out of worms.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Clever. I’ve actually never been fishing.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Can we create a temporary sub-forum for guys who do this sort of thing? We've been through this before and they don't seem to run out of energy for months.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
can we create a temporary sub-forum for guys who do this sort of thing? We've been through this before and they don't seem to run out of energy for months.

evajoy 2.0!!!

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Can we create a temporary sub-forum for guys who do this sort of thing? We've been through this before and they don't seem to run out of energy for months.
So we need a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest section? All batteries eventually run dry.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
So we need a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest section? All batteries eventually run dry.
That's not a bad idea. It could be optional for those of us who are feeling manic, or compulsory if the moderator sends them there.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That's not a bad idea. It could be optional for those of us who are feeling manic, or compulsory if the moderator sends them there.

LOL! Manic? More of beyond impressed with my dads collection and just trying to identify stuff. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome however the D does resemble the 1880s D in Dartmouth and his notes do say he purchased a picture of 1884 Dartmouth for $600 in the 1980s
Old 07-23-2018, 06:37 PM

It is a neat image but $600 in the 1980’s would have been a hefty price for an apparent college team. From what I’ve read on this thread and your others, your dad had a nice eye for sports collectibles but his identification work was considerably off. However, that was no easy task pre-internet.

Rob M
Old 07-23-2018, 06:48 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

"he purchased a picture of 1884 Dartmouth for $600 in the 1980s"

Last edited by drcy; 07-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
LOL! Manic? More of beyond impressed with my dads collection and just trying to identify stuff. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome however the D does resemble the 1880s D in Dartmouth and his notes do say he purchased a picture of 1884 Dartmouth for $600 in the 1980s
I was talking about myself, not you.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
It is a neat image but $600 in the 1980’s would have been a hefty price for an apparent college team. From what I’ve read on this thread and your others, your dad had a nice eye for sports collectibles but his identification work was considerably off. However, that was no easy task pre-internet.

Rob M
I contacted Dartmouth after much research in their archives, and their archivist informed me today, via email, that he believes this is late 1870s or early 1880s Dartmouth. He informed me that almost all of the different departments had their own baseball teams. They do not have this one in their archives. They are interested in acquiring the photograph
Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Don Stokes

So, No proof that its Dartmouth and no proof that they used that type of D on any baseball uniform.
Well at least you have found a buyer which is good.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
I contacted Dartmouth after much research in their archives, and their archivist informed me today, via email, that he believes this is late 1870s or early 1880s Dartmouth. He informed me that almost all of the different departments had their own baseball teams. They do not have this one in their archives. They are interested in acquiring the photograph