NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Default History of THE Base Ball: A New Book 100% dedicated to the ball itself!

Hey guys, just wanted to share a link with you about a book I've been writing called: History of the Base Ball A comprehensive look at the base balls used from the beginning of the game to present day.

While I'm sure you've seen many baseball books about baseball history and the players, this is the first of its kind to represent the ball itself in such a detailed way. The book is highly illustrated, with over 150 pages dedicated to to the ball itself. It will feature in chronological order EVERY ball used in the AL & NL from the start of each league, along with a pre-professional league section detailing Lemon, belt, early figure eight, etc. base balls.

My book is still in production, and of course I value your opinions and feedback. Please if you could take the time to shoot on over to my website and take a sneak peek. I am also looking for contributors to the book as there are a few things that I do not have in my personal collection that I would like to include in the book.

I have spoken with a few interested publishers, however any information from you guys on tips for maybe getting sponsorship from Spalding, Rawlings, etc. or if you "know a guy" I would appreciate a direct email.

Thank you,
Brandon M. Grunbaum
info@historyofthebaseball.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg book.jpg (21.4 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by BrandonG; 05-31-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Mike Henson

Brandon, what a fantastic looking book! I can't imagine the amount of research it took to put it together. Do you own or have you owned the balls that are pictured? I know that some of the early N.L. balls are very scarce. Sign me up for a copy, please keep me updated on the progress,best of luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Chris Wood

Default Check this out

Brandon,

While not exactly in-line with your book, this came out earlier this year...

http://www.zackhample.com/books/the_baseball.htm

Last edited by baseball tourist; 05-31-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I'll second that the book looks great from the previews you have shown. I'm excited to see the pairing of the balls themselves with the matching boxes/bags they were packaged in. That's been on my personal wish list for a reference book for a while. Can't wait to see it!

I'm wondering if there are other personal projects in the works that might benefit from sharing your search for a publisher as well? I've never attempted something of this magnitude, but I have wondered how one would need to format things for publication and who to contact for such things.

Definitely keep us all updated as to the publishing status, including if an e-book or similar is to be available.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Would like to purchase one of your books. When will these be available?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Brandon,

Yes saw this book, doesn't seem to be the same, but interesting to see what's in it. My book will be a large hardback (9.5in x 12in) and is like a glorified reference guide for the baseballs, with main focus on all of the AL & NL balls.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Big League Baseballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Brandon,

This is a great book and at first glance, you might think it already covers what Brandon is doing. I'd say though that a photo-heavy book on the ball with great quality photos is still unique and very much needed for all baseball collectors.

Hample's book is awesome and has an incredibly detailed timeline of the Official Game ball from about early 1900s on. Definitely worth picking up regardless -I really enjoyed the section on official baseballs in entertainment (cinema/TV mostly). Also the most valuable baseballs from modern day and the details of how they were obtained and sold - very interesting stuff that seems to appeal to both collectors and casual fans.

Anyway, Brandon, please let me know what your plans are for modern era baseballs, and if you'll delve into the commemorative gamers. I was very involved in Zack Hample's book for that particular section and I really enjoyed the experience working on that chapter with him. I provided my own hi-res photos for the book and lots of information.

I would also recommend for you to reach out to Zack as he had some incredible sources and friends involved in the production of the ball and in the game itself, I'm sure they'd be very helpful to you as well.

My email: bigleaguebaseballs @ gmail.com
Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
This is a great book and at first glance, you might think it already covers what Brandon is doing. I'd say though that a photo-heavy book on the ball with great quality photos is still unique and very much needed for all baseball collectors.

Hample's book is awesome and has an incredibly detailed timeline of the Official Game ball from about early 1900s on. Definitely worth picking up regardless -I really enjoyed the section on official baseballs in entertainment (cinema/TV mostly). Also the most valuable baseballs from modern day and the details of how they were obtained and sold - very interesting stuff that seems to appeal to both collectors and casual fans.

Anyway, Brandon, please let me know what your plans are for modern era baseballs, and if you'll delve into the commemorative gamers. I was very involved in Zack Hample's book for that particular section and I really enjoyed the experience working on that chapter with him. I provided my own hi-res photos for the book and lots of information.

I would also recommend for you to reach out to Zack as he had some incredible sources and friends involved in the production of the ball and in the game itself, I'm sure they'd be very helpful to you as well.

My email: bigleaguebaseballs @ gmail.com
I'll have to take a look at the book, and thanks for the advice. As for details, my book will cover every year, and EVERY change the ball has endured. For example, my book features 7 different Ban Johnson AL baseballs that were used from 1903-1926. Many people are unaware there are that many, mostly subtle logo changes. Each one of these balls has its own page with professional photographs.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Well Im really looking forward to the release of your book Brandon. Count me in for a book or two ( have a few friends that would be interested ). If I can think of any pertanent info to help you out, Ill definately try and do so. Obviously your release date would be contingent on completing your research, but how far along are you to completion?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoningram View Post
Well Im really looking forward to the release of your book Brandon. Count me in for a book or two ( have a few friends that would be interested ). If I can think of any pertanent info to help you out, Ill definately try and do so. Obviously your release date would be contingent on completing your research, but how far along are you to completion?
Most of the AL & NL baseball pages are complete, along with illustrations and advertisements, textual pages, etc. I am still looking for some better quality Lemon / Belt / Y & H / balls for my 19c categories. Also still need some of the old Spalding boxes.

My goal for press was the holiday season this year, depending on which publisher I go through.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM
John Harrell

Default Baseball book

Brandon,

I can't wait for your book to come out. I definitely will be buying a copy.

John
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Mike Henson

Brandon , is your book going to include any of the various novelty and/or specialty balls or just primarily A.L. & N.L. balls ?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
Brandon , is your book going to include any of the various novelty and/or specialty balls or just primarily A.L. & N.L. balls ?
The primary focus of the book is the Major League game baseballs. There are so many different commemorative balls that were made, even back in the 20's and 30's that making sure all of them are listed would be pretty difficult. However I am getting asked a lot of questions like that, and some about minor league balls so I'll do some research and see if its possible to include that category of ball.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Brandon,
I for one would absolutely love to see "off-brand" (non-Spalding/Reach/Rawling) and minor league balls included, even if it is not as all-inclusive as the Official Major League ball sections.

Sounds like you are hesitant to include a section that isn't exhaustively all-inclusive, but I think that it would be a worthwhile endeavor. If not in this book, then perhaps in a follow-up second volume? Personally, I would be more likely to pick up a book with off-brand and minor league balls included simply because of the lack of any other reference that includes them in any meaningful depth (that I know of).

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be picking up at least one copy of your book whichever way you go. Just thought I'd put a plug in for the "underdogs" of the world of baseballs.

Lance
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Jim Murphy

add me to the list
Old 06-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Brandon,
I for one would absolutely love to see "off-brand" (non-Spalding/Reach/Rawling) and minor league balls included, even if it is not as all-inclusive as the Official Major League ball sections.

Sounds like you are hesitant to include a section that isn't exhaustively all-inclusive, but I think that it would be a worthwhile endeavor. If not in this book, then perhaps in a follow-up second volume? Personally, I would be more likely to pick up a book with off-brand and minor league balls included simply because of the lack of any other reference that includes them in any meaningful depth (that I know of).

Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be picking up at least one copy of your book whichever way you go. Just thought I'd put a plug in for the "underdogs" of the world of baseballs.

Lance

I will definitely consider putting some of that in the book, I actually own a lot of non league baseballs and I think they're amazing in their own way. My initial goal was to make a strictly "professional" ball book, but that is why I posted on here, to get some great feedback. I'll keep you updated, and if you didn't already join my email newsletter on my site that will be the best way to get current updates. Thanks for the replies!