NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA Is Being Challenged by BGS/JSA

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

This is an interesting developement. James Spence is joining up with Beckett's to create a new product. They are willing to authenticate autographed cards and insert the card within a Beckett's holder. Seems like they are ready to take on PSA/DNA. Do you think they will be successful? Also, who does the authenticating for DNA?

Peter C.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

I don't have any pre-war autographed cards.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I am eagerly anticipating the next alliance that SGC will forge. By not identifying their authenticators up front, PSA/DNA shields itself somewhat from the kind of fallout that Spence is currently under. You can switch out authenticators and nobody really knows (or even seems to care). That's why I originally went with SGC/JSA, because I wanted a name/reputation behind the cards I was having authenticated. But now I see the flip side to that story.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

I know about JSA's recent scandal, but aren't they still the best around?

Peter C.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

How is it that every single auction, month after month, manages to have multiple balls signed by Babe Ruth? Does anyone really believe they are genuine?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Babe Ruth signed baseballs is one of the things I wouldn't consider touching.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Peter C. perhaps he is the "best" but that doesn't mean much because the whole field is pretty suspect in my view unless you have strong provenance.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

In many areas of collecting there are more leaps of faith than in cards. (Though I guess that could be argued ) ....Autographs is one of those areas....*It all depends on how big of a leap of faith you are comfortable with? Personally, I am not comfortable with a leap at all....I have no opinion on JSA, as I have never submitted anything to them, and only know what I read and see. regards

edited for clarification

Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

Babe Ruth was known to sit in motel open windows with boxes of baseballs and pen in hand. Tossing autographed balls to crowds for hours. Something to think about.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Scot I am sure some of them are real. I just have my doubts whether Mr. Spence or anyone else can really tell.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I just spent $7 to go to the White Plains show this afternoon. The primary reason for my visit was to speak with the JSA folk about a number of issues, including: (a) the recent "scandal"; (b) their move from SGC to BVG; and (c) how they authenticated a few of my pre-war cards. It was a very enlightening conversation, and one that answers many of the questions that have been posed in recent weeks on this Board.

Since I viewed my conversation with them to be off the record, I am not going to share the details. Suffice to say, they were open and honest with me about all of the foregoing. If you are considering having a signature authenticated, or purchasing a signed piece of memorabilia, I would highly recommend giving them a call. For me, since I have a number of pre-war signed cards, it was well worth it.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I was once consigned a Babe Ruth signed baseball from a man who got the autograph himself when he was a boy.

In 1947, he was visiting a sick aunt in the hospital, and she told him that Babe Ruth was also a patient there. He remembers going to Ruth's room, and on the table next to his hospital bed was a stack of official American League baseballs in their original box! Ruth brought balls with him everywhere, even when he was in the early stages of terminal cancer.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Babe Ruth was known to sit in motel open windows with boxes of baseballs and pen in hand. Tossing autographed balls to crowds for hours. Something to think about.

Scot's correct. When they had the first induction at the Baseball HOF, they played an exhibition game. The joke was that they couldn't find a ball NOT autographed by Ruth to use in the game!

Frank

Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Paul, glad that little mess is all cleared up -- was it just a one time error?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

...too far into it. I had a long conversation with them today and am convinced that the circumstances or standards that applied to the erroneous Sal Bando authentication would not apply to authenticating a signature of any value on a blind submission.

I will also say that there was apparently more dialogue than the news report cared to air, and that the report was -- not surprisingly -- a bit skewed to painting JSA into a corner.

Certainly everyone at JSA is apologetic about the episode. And, like I said on the previous thread, I still think there really is no good excuse for what transpired. But I am still very comfortable with the standards and techniques they apply to pre-war autograph authentication, which is really all I care about.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I, too, would recommend sending an autograph into JSA -- if your only concern was resale. As for my comfort level in buying something with a JSA authencation: after seeing that JSA buffoon on the video crowing his BS, I'd have a hard time buying anything for my personal collection with their seal of approval behind it.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris David

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 11-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

This will work out great -- you can sell all your JSA pre-war cards; and I can buy them!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Seems like they are ready to take on PSA/DNA. Do you think they will be successful? Also, who does the authenticating for DNA?

Spence left like two-three years ago and it's been Steve Grad and a bunch of others at the helm.

Why should anything change with Spence? After all, all it means is that Spence will be authenticating for Beckett, instead of SGC.

After someone is caught in a foolish manner, there are always a bunch of excuses.

Look at those who got busted on HBO Real Sports. Chris Morales offers a giant explanation on his web site and SCD allowed Ted Taylor to print up his his own version of the tale in the magazine.

What kind of explanation could any of these authenticating firms really have? They were tested and they looked bad...fin that phailed..."failed miserably".

Move on.

As far as the amount of Ruth's, the unfortunate part of it all is that probably every Ruth ball that he signed in that photo ended up in a Golden Retriever's mouth. Back about 15 years ago, you saw maybe one 8/10 (grade) single signed ball a year in one of the major catalogs. Today, there are like six-eight auction houses and they seem to have multiples in every auction. Please.

DJ