NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2023, 10:52 AM

Default Hello - Entering vintage collecting.

Hello -

Located in South Florida and as the name states - new to vintage. Prior to now my collection was made up of cards collected as a kid in the 80's - 90's. I ended up revisiting my collection during the COVID spike and got back into collecting.

With that being said - over the past few months I have taken a lot of time to organize, sort and do something with my collection. Where I ended up is sending massive orders to COMC and sending a majority of my slabs to vault(s). The project led me to the answer I think everyone here eventually finds..... I want to move my collection to cards that have more significant/lasting value.

Ultimately I want to build a respectable Jackie Robinson collection and could use some guidance. I have a list of 10-12 Jackie Robinson cards that I would like to own. I built the list using various articles, PSA set registry values and what appeals to me. Eye appeal is most important to me but I also would like to have a decent grade along with the cards.

A few questions:

- For auction houses I am currently registered with REA, Memory Lane and HA. REA currently has the Spring auction ending 4/23 with a lot of nice cards. How do AH compare to eBay/PWCC/Goldin? From what I can tell AH may have higher final price due to the buyers premium but ultimately AH are where the higher valued cards go.

- Are there any specific shows that are suggested for vintage? If I was wanting to buy a number of cards at once for cash I am assuming finding a collector or going to a show with a list are my best options.

Thanks and looking forward to the journey.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Val Kehl

Welcome to Net54.

I suggest you register with several additional auction houses. Off the top of my head, I believe each of these auction houses currently has an auction in progress: LOTG, SCP, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, Collector Connection, Mile High, & Hunt. And, these are not the only additional auction houses I would suggest you register with.

Also, I suggest putting a WTB (Want-to-buy) post in the B/S/T section of Het54.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:54 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Welcome to Net54.

I suggest you register with several additional auction houses. Off the top of my head, I believe each of these auction houses currently has an auction in progress: LOTG, SCP, Lelands, Huggins & Scott, Collector Connection, Mile High, & Hunt. And, these are not the only additional auction houses I would suggest you register with.

Also, I suggest putting a WTB (Want-to-buy) post in the B/S/T section of Het54.
Welcome aboard and Great advise

I would also use this website that provides info including starting and ending of auctions of alot of different auction houses and other interesting info

https://www.auctionreport.com/

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-18-2023, 01:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Welcome fellow Floridian. I live in Palm Beach Gardens. A Jackie Robinson collection is a worthy goal but an expensive one. Good advice by others on using AHs, reliable and the best material. Good luck. John
Old 04-18-2023, 01:45 PM

Recommend you put an eBay watch alert for Jackie Robinson and you'll be aprised daily of new additions of his cards. When one comes up you like, act fast.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:25 PM
Bob Donaldson

I think you should make sure you have a good understanding of values before buying. You can get past sales on Ebay fairly easy. You might also want to look at Vintage Card Prices (https://vintagecardprices.com/)

Basically, before buying make sure you are educated about authenticity, grading and pricing

Good luck
Old 04-18-2023, 02:26 PM

Unless you have unlimited money or, limited time and patience...wait for your reasonable price. Figure out what your price is for whatever condition card you're looking.

Look at recent sales and sales going months/years back to see not only what the market is, but where it's been. We're currently in a rather hot market for guys like Jackie and even if we're past peak, we're not very far past peak and the comedown isn't looking to be quick.

If you start to sacrifice on quality for a cheaper/obtainable card you may not be happy in the long run and you'll get into constant upgrading loops.

If you get impatient you may throw money at the collection just to get it in hand. Unless it's a very rare card or it rarely comes to market, you're going to find your card at your price (or near it) eventually. A 1952 Topps Jackie is a high-end card with a high-end price, but you will always find one for sale in many places without looking hard...if you have the loot they're asking for.

Last edited by BioCRN; 04-18-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:53 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Hello - Entering vintage collecting.

Welcome to the dark side. Some of us have websites like the one below. Feel free to browse and ask questions. Collect what you like and don't worry about investment returns.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Welcome aboard and Great advise

Welcome to the board. I would also use this website that provides info including starting and ending of auctions of alot of different auction houses and other interesting info

https://www.auctionreport.com/
I also use hibid.com and sign up for select "alerts" for these items from various auction houses. HiBid tends to have a number of smaller or regional auctions and I have picked up several items I would have otherwise missed.

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 04-19-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:56 AM

Welcome to collecting vintage. I also live in South Florida and have a vintage YouTube channel. I visit every card shop and shows in the area. Any way I can help let me know. Here is a show I attend monthly
https://youtu.be/7uSjg8_craQ
Old 04-19-2023, 03:39 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Welcome to vintage land. It's the best!

I'm also a big Jackie Robinson collector, and like you, I'm also obsessed with eye appeal. Unfortunately for us, that means we have to pay well above "comps" to get copies that we like, assuming by "eye-appeal" you mean centered cards without obvious flaws like creases, paper loss, markings, etc.

In my experience, I generally have to pay at least 1.5x "comps", and more like 2x, 3x, or sometimes even as high as 5x to get the cards I want. It just all depends on the card itself and how difficult that particular card is to find centered, and timing/luck. Sometimes you can find some good deals though, if you're patient (~1.5x comps). But you will almost never see a centered Jackie card that is free of major eye sores selling for average comps. The vintage market is ALL ABOUT eye appeal. You can have 3 copies of the same card in the same grade selling in the same auction go for $1,000, $2,000, and $3,000 entirely because of eye appeal. Vintage collectors are much quicker to give the middle finger to the number on a slab than modern collectors. That works in both directions. If a card looks over graded, like most do with old certs, then it will typically sell at a discount. If it looks under graded, be prepared to pay as if it were at least a full grade higher. That's pretty much how it works in these parts. If you're willing to buy nearly centered cards (~55/45) as opposed to dead centered 50/50 cards though, you can save quite a bit, as those do not sell for as much of a premium as truly centered copies sell for. But you'll still pay a premium for a 55/45 card, especially if it's 50/50 left/right and 55/45 top/bottom.

Definitely take the time to study the nuances of how vintage cards are graded. That knowledge is essential as a buyer, in my opinion.

Here are a few of my Jackie cards. Sorry, but these are not for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jackie 3x3.jpg (212.9 KB, 262 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
If you start to sacrifice on quality for a cheaper/obtainable card you may not be happy in the long run and you'll get into constant upgrading loops.
Great advice.

This is what I need to hear and continually tell myself. I may see a card at a grade/price that seems fair but it just doesn't catch my eye and if I buy that card I will always think that and will always be looking to upgrade.

I don't want that with these cards.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I look forward to learning as I go with an understanding of the importance of researching prior to making any decisions.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Here are a few of my Jackie cards. Sorry, but these are not for sale
That is a great collection and something to build towards!
Old 04-21-2023, 06:22 AM
Tom Re.bert

Most Topps Robinsons are plentiful--so shouldn't be any problems-- His RC will cost you some dead Presidents---(Yeah, a majority of the flashy modern cards are a flash in the pan) but there are tons of overpriced vintage too, just not has much--LOL--

Last edited by Directly; 04-21-2023 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:53 AM
Rob

Beware!

Sure, it starts innocently enough with Jackie Robinson. But sooner or later that's not enough and you are searching the bowels of the internet for guys like: "Bonehead" Merkle, "Three Finger" Brown, and "Wahoo" Sam Crawford.

Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2023, 11:37 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

This Board is a great support group to advise against the perils of card addiction.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
This Board is a great support group to advise against the perils of card addiction.
Says the addict.