NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2022, 09:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Dick Buckley and Doug Crothers are the other two players in the Hancock set. Buckley, like Tomney, played in the majors.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Universal Toy & Novelty Surprise Box

Surprise! If you were a particularly lucky kid in the early 1920s you might have found one of these in your life:

Open the box and look inside:

Yep, baseball and boxing cards. Not my stuff, just some illustrative images. More pics:

Ruth-Johnson-Sisler-Alexander

Two guys I haven't ID'd yet (top row) and Johnny Kilbane and Benny Leonard (bottom row).

There were some nonsports cards too but, frankly, who cares, you know?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-31-2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:24 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Surprise! If you were a particularly lucky kid in the early 1920s you might have found one of these in your life:

Open the box and look inside:

Yep, baseball and boxing cards. Not my stuff, just some illustrative images. More pics:

Ruth-Johnson-Sisler-Alexander

Two guys I haven't ID'd yet (top row) and Johnny Kilbane and Benny Leonard (bottom row).

There were some nonsports cards too but, frankly, who cares, you know?
Never seen those boxes. Great stuff
Old 06-01-2022, 07:42 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Great idea for a thread.

I'll go with the 1914 E224 Texas Tommy. I'm fascinated by the stories of West Coast cards.

This set is made by the Cardinet Candy company of Oakland Ca., founded in 1909, maker of the Abba Zabba, Baffle, and U-No candy bars.

The name of the set is named after a dance invented in the Barbary Coast "red light" district of San Francisco. Around 1910, the Texas Tommy was a hit at a lowlife hot spot called Purcell's, a Negro cabaret, but it became respectable when it was danced at the upscale Fairmont Hotel, the most popular venue for ballroom dancing in San Francisco.

There are so many fascinating stories surrounding this set, from who took the pictures used, why they chose the players they did in the set, and whether it is one set or two.

Fun Stuff...
-
I love the cut or your collecting jib, Phil.
Back-story, for me; keeps me passionate about collecting Pre-War stuff.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."
Old 06-01-2022, 08:10 AM
Ben Gehler

No, it does not have the big name(s) people are looking for;
my passion wants to identify the members of this American team which toured Venezuela; acknowledged by the cigarrillo company as,
"players of York".

I view our hobby from a different angle, lol.

Ben

Old 06-01-2022, 08:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by benge610 View Post
No, it does not have the big name(s) people are looking for;
my passion wants to identify the members of this American team which toured Venezuela; acknowledged by the cigarrillo company as,
"players of York".

I view our hobby from a different angle, lol.

Ben

Gotta love the Venezuelan cards

That bottom one is Telelo Vargas

By 1927, when Vargas was 21, scouts from the United States and the Dominican Republic had noticed him. Vargas was Black, however, and he became a member of the Negro leagues' famed New York Cubans. Meanwhile, at home, he was signed by the Leones del Escogido, one of the four original Dominican Republic winter baseball league teams that remain in competition.

Vargas gained recognition around the Caribbean and in New York City, establishing a Negro league record by hitting home runs in seven consecutive at bats. In 1932, Vargas went to play in Venezuela, where he became a star and remained until 1938, when the New York Cubans re-signed him.

In 1940, Vargas played in the Puerto Rican Winter League. He eventually became an established resident of Puerto Rico. Vargas was once again signed by the New York Cubans from 1941 to 1944, his last year as an active player in the Negro leagues. Meanwhile, in Caguas, Puerto Rico, Vargas established himself as an All-Star, playing in the Puerto Rican All-Star game multiple times during the 1940s. At the time, a series of different sports competitions preceded the All-Star game in Puerto Rico, all of them involving baseball players and for the All-Star game's public's enjoyment. Vargas, who won various stolen base titles through his career, won a number of sprint races as an All-Star player in Puerto Rico. He went on to play with the Guayama Witches and the Santurce Crabbers before heading to the Mexican Pacific Winter League in 1952. Vargas, in the twilight of his career, returned to the Dominican Republic's winter league also in 1952, this time with the Estrellas Orientales team. At the age of 46, he led the Dominican Republic league with a batting average of .350. Vargas retired from baseball in 1953, after having played 27 seasons in five countries. The stadium in San Pedro de Macorís, home of the Estrellas Orientales team, is named in his honor.

Vargas holds the major league record for best batting average in a single season. He hit .471 while playing for the New York Cubans in the Negro National League in 1943.

Apart from hitting .350 in 1952 in the Dominican Republic's winter league, Vargas also led the Puerto Rican winter league in batting average three times, hitting .410 in 1943, and winning back to back titles in 1946 and 1947, when he hit .382 and .362, respectively. Vargas played a number of exhibition games against Major League Baseball's New York Yankees, averaging .500 against Yankees pitchers.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-01-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:38 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Gotta love the Venezuelan cards

That bottom one is Telelo Vargas

By 1927, when Vargas was 21, scouts from the United States and the Dominican Republic had noticed him. Vargas was Black, however, and he became a member of the Negro leagues' famed New York Cubans. Meanwhile, at home, he was signed by the Leones del Escogido, one of the four original Dominican Republic winter baseball league teams that remain in competition.

Vargas gained recognition around the Caribbean and in New York City, establishing a Negro league record by hitting home runs in seven consecutive at bats. In 1932, Vargas went to play in Venezuela, where he became a star and remained until 1938, when the New York Cubans re-signed him.

In 1940, Vargas played in the Puerto Rican Winter League. He eventually became an established resident of Puerto Rico. Vargas was once again signed by the New York Cubans from 1941 to 1944, his last year as an active player in the Negro leagues. Meanwhile, in Caguas, Puerto Rico, Vargas established himself as an All-Star, playing in the Puerto Rican All-Star game multiple times during the 1940s. At the time, a series of different sports competitions preceded the All-Star game in Puerto Rico, all of them involving baseball players and for the All-Star game's public's enjoyment. Vargas, who won various stolen base titles through his career, won a number of sprint races as an All-Star player in Puerto Rico. He went on to play with the Guayama Witches and the Santurce Crabbers before heading to the Mexican Pacific Winter League in 1952. Vargas, in the twilight of his career, returned to the Dominican Republic's winter league also in 1952, this time with the Estrellas Orientales team. At the age of 46, he led the Dominican Republic league with a batting average of .350. Vargas retired from baseball in 1953, after having played 27 seasons in five countries. The stadium in San Pedro de Macorís, home of the Estrellas Orientales team, is named in his honor.

Vargas holds the major league record for best batting average in a single season. He hit .471 while playing for the New York Cubans in the Negro National League in 1943.

Apart from hitting .350 in 1952 in the Dominican Republic's winter league, Vargas also led the Puerto Rican winter league in batting average three times, hitting .410 in 1943, and winning back to back titles in 1946 and 1947, when he hit .382 and .362, respectively. Vargas played a number of exhibition games against Major League Baseball's New York Yankees, averaging .500 against Yankees pitchers.
Good Stuff, Adam!
Old 06-02-2022, 05:39 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Ever since I was a kid and watched the movie, The Winning Team staring Ronald Reagan as Grover Cleveland Alexander, I have been intrigued by the House of David baseball team. Now, I can't look at them without thinking Duck Dynasty of the diamond. I still dig the postcards, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House of David 1.jpg (205.0 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg House of David 2.jpg (206.2 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg House of David Backs.jpg (195.8 KB, 466 views)
Old 06-02-2022, 07:04 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Ever since I was a kid and watched the movie, The Winning Team staring Ronald Reagan as Grover Cleveland Alexander, I have been intrigued by the House of David baseball team. Now, I can't look at them without thinking Duck Dynasty of the diamond. I still dig the postcards, though.
There was a great photo of two members with Grover Alexander standing in between just on eBay. Thought about winning it, very cool.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 06-02-2022, 07:49 PM
Rob G.

Default Christy

Same image as 1909 M101-2 Supplement, but different caption. Never seen another example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909_Matty_Misc_Supplement_(1703).jpg (198.5 KB, 449 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Clint

Martin Family Night set. Like them because my favorite team and player Brooks Robinson are represented. I also like the fact of the rarity and mystery behind how they were given out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63AB15AB-AF2D-44E6-BE19-5FDE4B473C69.jpg (185.6 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg 554060CA-BBF3-4235-8D64-0D110E6E6B16.jpg (183.8 KB, 433 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 07:34 PM

Clint, I've never seen those before and I like them! If you're ever interested in letting one go, please let me know.

Paul
paul.stewart@knobbe.com
Old 06-04-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Martin Family Night set. Like them because my favorite team and player Brooks Robinson are represented. I also like the fact of the rarity and mystery behind how they were given out.
I would assume this was a company event at the ballgame that day (July 17, 1964), and perhaps these cards were handed out to employees/family members that were going to that game from the Martin Company, a big aircraft manufacturing company that had a big plant nearby (the Orioles played a home game that day, Robin Roberts was the starting pitcher, and Aparicio and Robinson were in the lineup). I guess the Zero Defect motto and Error-Free standard were upheld that game, as Roberts pitched a complete game shutout, and the Orioles played a flawless game with no errors committed.

Brian (having a bit of fun with research)
Old 06-04-2022, 08:46 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I would assume this was a company event at the ballgame that day (July 17, 1964), and perhaps these cards were handed out to employees/family members that were going to that game from the Martin Company, a big aircraft manufacturing company that had a big plant nearby (the Orioles played a home game that day, Robin Roberts was the starting pitcher, and Aparicio and Robinson were in the lineup). I guess the Zero Defect motto and Error-Free standard were upheld that game, as Roberts pitched a complete game shutout, and the Orioles played a flawless game with no errors committed.

Brian (having a bit of fun with research)
Nicely done, Brian.
Ben

Old 06-04-2022, 08:57 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Clint, I've never seen those before and I like them! If you're ever interested in letting one go, please let me know.

Paul
paul.stewart@knobbe.com
Will do Paul.

Brian yes there were a few Martin Day games over the years. With only 3-4 sets known I’m guessing they were given away as prizes. I have a score card from the 1966 game.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Those are fun. I love to see stuff associated with a single game or event.

For my oddball set of the day, 1960 MacGregor Advisory cards. These are 4 x 5 halftone prints on card stock. Some nice images.

Or not...
Old 06-05-2022, 08:29 AM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Those are fun. I love to see stuff associated with a single game or event.
Right there with ya, Adam!

Ben

Last edited by benge610; 06-05-2022 at 08:32 AM. Reason: me, ... being me.
Old 04-21-2023, 04:45 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Same image as 1909 M101-2 Supplement, but different caption. Never seen another example.
Wow.

I'm not sure how I missed this thread when Adam originally started it, there are some fantastic items posted, thanks to all of you who did.

My favorite has to be the Christy image.

Doug
Old 04-21-2023, 06:02 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Fun thread idea. Mine is definitely the 1958 Menko Doyusha JCM30a Jackie Robinson card. It's my holy grail card, and one that I was fortunate to have been able to track down earlier this year on my birthday. My copy is shown below.

Why do I like it?

For one, I just love the look of the card. It's sized like a T card, but has the color and pop feel of an Andy Warhol art piece. It has a very bright and bold almost neon magenta background to it. I love the back as well. Just a classic piece of art overall. It's a stunning card in hand.

In addition to how it looks, it's also a really cool historical piece. Throughout the entirety of Jackie's career, there was enormous tension between the US and Japan in the wake of the Pearl Harbor attack and our retaliations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But what most fans don't know is that in 1956, after the conclusion of the World Series, Jackie and the Brooklyn Dodgers (sans Koufax) traveled to Japan to play a 19-game exhibition series against Japanese players and teams in an effort to bring the two nations closer together and forge bonds of peace. They were invited by Matsutaro Shoriki, the "father of Japanese baseball", who was the man responsible for Babe Ruth's famous Japanese tour in 1934. 1956 was also the year that Jackie Robinson retired. His final game in a Dodgers uniform was played in this series, on Tokyo soil, and his last hit was a HR that erupted the crowd.

Cool story, but why he has a Japanese Menko card is a bit of a mystery. The Kanji on this card reads, "Roberto Chico Barbon". At the time this card was produced, in 1958, Barbon was the only black player in Japanese baseball, and as indicated on the card, he wore #8 for the Hankyu Braves. But instead of picturing Barbon, the card features Jackie Robinson. It is assumed to be an error card that was likely pulled from production, although an actual "Chico" Barbon replacement card was never made.

It is by far Jackie's rarest card, as there are only 5 copies known to exist: 4 on the PSA pop report, and 1 on SGC. Perhaps there are more that will surface in the future though, as they command steep prices whenever one hits the market.

Sean, from Victory Investments, made a great documentary about this card last year. It's worth checking out if you're interested:

https://youtu.be/VBDvF_dD5BU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MenkoJackie.jpg (198.7 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by Snowman; 04-21-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Cool thread. I like this one because he looks like Dracula
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e222sh.jpg (195.7 KB, 258 views)
Old 04-23-2023, 10:14 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's a cool one!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-26-2023, 08:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
That's a cool one!
Thanks....

No explanation necessary this one, as to why I find it interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1895.jpg (102.6 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-26-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:16 AM
Aaron

Quote:
Thanks....

No explanation necessary this one, as to why I find it interesting.
Come on, Mayor! That pitch was above my parasol.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:18 AM
Richard

I wonder if this gave Goudey Gum the idea for the Heads-Up '38 cartoons...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I like the 1914 E&S series of Postcards

There are only a handful of the Joe Jackson card and a hand full of other cards including Ty Cobb, Frank Chance, Christy Mathewson, Tris Speaker, and Buck Weaver to name a few.

This is mine the Joe Jackson One.

I like the unique look of it. I like the pose and I also like the little cartoons around him.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:44 PM
Mike Ryan

I find the 1935 Schutter Johnsons to be quite interesting. The set numbers 50.
Most cards have a total PSA POP between 10 to 20. I have 10 grandsons and great grandsons playing baseball from Tball to JV and I'm hoping the instructional tips will get them interested in collecting BB cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HUBBELL SJ22 PSA4.jpg (158.9 KB, 170 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 04:44 PM
Ben Gehler

Lou Gertenrich was a pretty good Chicago area ball player; he was also pressured to keep his family's confectionary business afloat during an era of tremendous competition; over 1000 candy companies in the Chicago area alone. I find it cool that the ad back actually depicts Gertenrich; Del Pratt is the MLB ball player on the front.

I had to have this puppy; as I am born/raised/live in the Chi area. Local Candy Company history is also of interest.

Ben
Old 04-26-2023, 06:10 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I find the 1935 Schutter Johnsons to be quite interesting. The set numbers 50.
Most cards have a total PSA POP between 10 to 20. I have 10 grandsons and great grandsons playing baseball from Tball to JV and I'm hoping the instructional tips will get them interested in collecting BB cards.
Never seen that set before. Thanks for sharing
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-26-2023, 07:37 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Nice Gerty Ben.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-26-2023, 07:48 PM
Ben Gehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Nice Gerty Ben.

Thanks Phil.
My druthers woulda been Hank Gowdy; I have a dive project on him.
Can notta be picky with Gerty!

Ben

Old 04-26-2023, 09:25 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default unusual

Olympic Gold medalist and the Father of Surfing as we know it......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2269.jpg (138.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2270.jpg (118.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 04-26-2023, 10:24 PM
George E.

Quote:
I like this one because he has a devil-beard.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:13 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Anyone seen or have any of these Phillies cards??

Hi Guys:

Here is one of my obscure group of cards. Looking for info on them. From the late 1940's

The Rapid Electrotype Co. of Philadelphia issued them

Hoping someone has info on them or can add to the checklist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90777a_lg (2).jpg (222.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 90777b_lg.jpg (187.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Electro 1.JPG (120.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Electro 2.JPG (111.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:35 PM
Jay Cee

Not many items out there from (assuming) Cuba with both Ruth/Hornsby on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B7606A9-4EEA-4292-AC4A-3F1B987C1003.jpg (179.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Guys:

Here is one of my obscure group of cards. Looking for info on them. From the late 1940's

The Rapid Electrotype Co. of Philadelphia issued them

Hoping someone has info on them or can add to the checklist.
No help, but it always great to see something that I haven't encountered before. Hopefully someone else has some info for you!

Brian
Old 04-27-2023, 02:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Not many items out there from (assuming) Cuba with both Ruth/Hornsby on it.
That's a beauty. Roland has commented on these on the Cuban card thread. Leon has (had?) one that I used to own.

Or not...
Old 04-27-2023, 03:15 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
That's a beauty. Roland has commented on these on the Cuban card thread. Leon has (had?) one that I used to own.
Had.