NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Daryl

Default Net54's 15th Anniversary?

According to my t-shirts, Net54 was established a long, long, time ago, way back in the year 2001.

What day is Net54's anniversary?

Will there be cake?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

No cake. I am on a diet. Here is the first post in archive (hit the word last in the list of pages). It is from 9/13/2001, 2 days after one of the worst, if not the worst day, in American history. This board was formed within a day or two of that...I think

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=60854

Last edited by Leon; 02-01-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Daryl

Default Net54's 15th Anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
No cake. I am on a diet. Here is the first post in archive (hit the word last in the list of pages). It is from 9/13/2001, 2 days after one of the worst, if not the worst day, in American history. This board was formed within a day or two of that...I think

I should've thought to look at the first thread. Thanks, Leon.

Last edited by 4815162342; 02-01-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:

You mean the next time we go to lunch (soon), we can't go to our favorite buffet places. I will tell you that place we went to (the hole in the wall) with the light sauce I ordered was off the charts good and I would certainly go back there

Rich
Old 02-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I notice that most of the veterans here have a join date of 2009. Was the board refreshed at that time?

Are there any members on the board who were also there in 2001?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I just noticed that I also joined 2009.

Buythatcard

Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I notice that most of the veterans here have a join date of 2009. Was the board refreshed at that time?

We switched s/w in 2009.....anyone with a March 2009 (me only I think) or April 2009 join date probably joined earlier.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:

There are members here who came over from the Full Count board, which I started using in 1999 I believe. When that board went down, two boards immediately went up and then we decided that the Net 54 site was better. The other one was on Yahoo groups if I'm not mistaken. I either had the 2nd or 3rd post on this board back on Sept 13, 2001
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Ryan Christoff

How many of us are left from the Full Count board?

-Ryan
Old 02-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I am not sure which Full Count Board you are referring to, but I am pretty certain Mike Williams and I established the original Full Count forum back in the late 90's. Full Count was the registered name of the company I founded. Mike was the tech brains behind the board and the Full Count web site which he designed. The name itself came from my daughter, Lauren, who is an executive producer for the Mets cable channel in NYC. Sadly, I had to close the board down after receiving legal advice that I possibly might be exposing myself to some form of legal liability due to several personal attacks by members against other members. Leon, you might know something about that. John Spencer
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I am not sure which Full Count Board you are referring to, but I am pretty certain Mike Williams and I established the original Full Count forum back in the late 90's. Full Count was the registered name of the company I founded. Mike was the tech brains behind the board and the Full Count web site which he designed. The name itself came from my daughter, Lauren, who is an executive producer for the Mets cable channel in NYC. Sadly, I had to close the board down after receiving legal advice that I possibly might be exposing myself to some form of legal liability due to several personal attacks by members against other members. Leon, you might know something about that. John Spencer
That would be the one. This board and the other one on Yahoo started right after you shut yours down.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Yes. And how many of us that were on that board are currently net54 members?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hey John,
You and Mike were some of the originators in the wild, wild west of the internet forums. The technology was quite crude back then. I went back to your original Full Count days too, as around 400-500 of Net54baseball members did, I believe. I got there in about '99. take care

Last edited by Leon; 02-02-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:28 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

According to this (http://web.archive.org/web/200106131.../disc1_toc.htm) John and Mike's Full Count board commenced activity 11/13/98 and looks to have shut down around 6/13/01. John and Mike started a great thing back then. Thanks, guys!

As Leon said the Internet in general and, as it turned out much to John's chagrin, Full Count in particular was quite wild and wooly. Very informative and lots of fun (except for those who were on the wrong end of the verbal beatings). Ahhhh....good times.

I was one of those to have posted to Full Count and continue to do so here. Can't recall when my first post to Net 54 was but it was very near the beginning.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Default Started on the original Full Count Board

Ryan,

Not sure how many of us are left from the original group that posted regularly on the original Full Count site.

I know there are still a few of us left.

Patrick
Old 02-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
According to this (http://web.archive.org/web/200106131.../disc1_toc.htm) John and Mike's Full Count board commenced activity 11/13/98 and looks to have shut down around 6/13/01. John and Mike started a great thing back then. Thanks, guys!

As Leon said the Internet in general and, as it turned out much to John's chagrin, Full Count in particular was quite wild and wooly. Very informative and lots of fun (except for those who were on the wrong end of the verbal beatings). Ahhhh....good times.

I was one of those to have posted to Full Count and continue to do so here. Can't recall when my first post to Net 54 was but it was very near the beginning.

Either that end date is wrong, or there was a board in between that I can't remember. I'm pretty sure we went right from the Full Count board to here though, which would have been 9/13/2001, exactly three months later. Seems strange that their start/end and start date from here are all listed as the 13th
Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Anthøny N. ex

IIRC correctly John shut down Full Count for a short time (days), reopened it, things went right back to where they had been, and he shut it down for good. Mike Williams started the yahoo group and Elliot Bassin started Net 54 the day after Full Count shut down. Since Mike's was the "official" board (being co mod of Full Count) that board had a bit more weight behind it at first but 54 was more functional and within about 3 months Elliot's board had prevailed.
About 5 or 6 years ago Jay Behrens resurrected the Full Count name for a message board, but it's a different one from John and Mike's.
I still go back and read the old Full Count board every once and a while, I wonder whatever happened to the guy with the Johnny Kling stained glass window?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Was Elliott's 9/13/2001 9:23 PM welcome below the first Net 54 post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elliott.jpg (76.8 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Was Elliott's 9/13/2001 9:23 PM welcome below the first Net 54 post?
Yes, Elliot had the first post. I think Leon was second and I was third. Elliot sent me a message right after he put the board up and I posted something stupid I'm sure
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Yes, Elliot had the first post. I think Leon was second and I was third. Elliot sent me a message right after he put the board up and I posted something stupid I'm sure
Looks like Kevin was 2 and maybe I was 3 or 4? I remember trying to sway folks here as, at that time, the functionality seemed much better. I remember speaking with Mike W about the Yahoo one he thankfully and quickly created. He was nice enough to let this one be the one to continue.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Looks like Kevin was 2 and maybe I was 3 or 4? I remember trying to sway folks here as, at that time, the functionality seemed much better. I remember speaking with Mike W about the Yahoo one he thankfully and quickly created. He was nice enough to let this one be the one to continue.
I don't think either of us responded to Elliot's post. Kevin didn't post until the next afternoon according to that post and I remember Elliot sent out an email to some people that same night. I think years ago, we bumped a few of the first posts.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:28 PM

I know I wasn't the first to respond to Elliot's post. For some reason the search I did returned the thread in not the same order the posts were actually made.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I know I wasn't the first to respond to Elliot's post. For some reason the search I did returned the thread in not the same order the posts were actually made.
I might have been second. It's been a while.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

So, back in the beginning, did you just talk about baseball cards? I don't think eBay existed and there were no AH's.

When was the first bashing? Would it be a fellow dealer? Who was the first member ever kicked off the board?

Buythatcard

Old 02-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
So, back in the beginning, did you just talk about baseball cards? I don't think eBay existed and there were no AH's.

When was the first bashing? Would it be a fellow dealer? Who was the first member ever kicked off the board?
The old Full Count board was in existence a year or so before I joined it so I don't know those answers. Elliot and then Bill ran this board for the first 2-3 yrs.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Gee...and I thought I had heard the last of 'birther' issues.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Tom Boblitt

I, too, was a regular participant on the 1990's Fullcount Forum.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

EBay was definitely around in 2001
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 PM

I have been lurking in the shadows, both here and on the Full Count board, since the late 90's. There are quite a few of us from back then still posting our little collector hearts out.

Brian
Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Rich Klein

The Full Count Board had some good threads but way way too many of them ended up as mean spirited nasty posts either towards other people or to other ways. This board is far better than the FC Board ever was
Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default Lying in the weeds

Lurking since 2003...the first big dissagreement I recall was when Leon bought the board and added advertising.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I have been lurking in the shadows, both here and on the Full Count board, since the late 90's. There are quite a few of us from back then still posting our little collector hearts out.

Brian
Hey there Brian, Hep... Me Too!
As wit the Times, the Board has changed wit them.
I'm Very Happy that it's Still Thriving!!!

Leon has done an Impeccable Work...

Havin an Anniversary is a Brilliant Idea!
Barn fires, Fire works, Hog Roastin...
Texas Style! "Let's Do This"

Let make it "Our Own National..."
We can All Bring Some thin from Our Own Collection to Show Others!

When & Where is Just the Question?
Lets Come up wit the Date and See What Happens!?

Ya Just Never Know Aye
Old 02-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Lurking since 2003...the first big dissagreement I recall was when Leon bought the board and added advertising.
Yes, the advertising caused a rift. A lot of members said the advertisers would be protected. Now, 12 yrs later......proof is in the pudding.....
Old 02-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Rhett Yeakley

My brother (Rhys) and I were both around during the original Full Fount forum days. We were probably some of the younger posters at that time and we couldn't believe there was actually a venue for baseball and history geeks like us to get our fix from with other people just a geeky as us about pre-war baseball collectibles!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 02-03-2016, 05:55 PM
And.rew C0rs0

What does Net54 mean? I have wondered for a while and been too afraid to ask. Maybe it is obvious and I'll feel dumb when someone explains the meaning behind the name.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
What does Net54 mean? I have wondered for a while and been too afraid to ask. Maybe it is obvious and I'll feel dumb when someone explains the meaning behind the name.
Our first hosting company and s/w was on the Network54.com site, this is a derivative of that...

Last edited by Leon; 02-03-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Yes, the advertising caused a rift. A lot of members said the advertisers would be protected. Now, 12 yrs later......proof is in the pudding.....

Didn't a member think he was entitled to a percentage/portion of the advert money because of the quality of his posts or something similar, sort of like residuals from syndication? It reminded me of the Seinfeld with Jerry signing all those $0.01 checks.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:36 PM

Hi Ryan,

I was on the Full Count Board back in the day. Hard to believe that was 15 years ago!

Andrew