NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Kyle May

Default What To Do With Extra Cards...?

Over the summer, I was browsing Craigslist and came across a listing for a storage tub of baseball cards for $5 (and you got to keep the container!). I bought it, and took two evenings to go through them. Mostly junk wax from the late 80s/early 90s - some early 80s appeared, which was nice. Tons of Baseball, Football, and Basketball, with some hockey, too. Lots of HoFers, as well. I kept the baseball, but now have a thousand or so football/basketball/hockey cards. Condition varies, as they obviously weren't stored the best. I've relisted the cards I don't want on Craigslist for $10, but no takers.

I want them out of my room, but would also like to maybe get my $5 back to break even (really, I still win because of the container - it's pretty nice). What would you suggest?

Options...

A) Be patient and keep the listing active on Craigslist
B) Sell in lots of Football, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball Duplicates respectively
C) Send to COMC and list at very low prices
D) Donate to somewhere (or hold and pass out at Halloween next year in little packs)
E) Write In

Let me know your thoughts, please and thank you!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 AM

Kyle, If you should meet any youngsters who are at all interested in sports cards, give them any they want. ---Brian Powell
Old 12-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Larry More.y

If Brian's idea does not work or pan out, option "D" works best.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

C) COMC is an awful idea for this, and that's coming from the biggest COMC homer on this board.
Say there's 10,000 cards in that tub, it would cost you probably $100 to mail it to Washington and then $2,500 to add them to your account. So if you can't sell the box for $10 on craigslist, I'm not sure how you'd turn a profit with $2,600 invested...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default E

E. They should fit nicely in a garbage bag.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Donate to local childrens hospital or if all else fails to the Salvation Army. Let someone else have a little fun!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Donate to local childrens hospital or if all else fails to the Salvation Army. Let someone else have a little fun!

+1

a good way to get the hobby exposed to potential new fans.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default donations

If you are going to donate cards to a childrens hospital, donate some decent cards, not a bunch of junk. Give them some current cards with players that are recognizable to them.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:34 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
C) COMC is an awful idea for this, and that's coming from the biggest COMC homer on this board.
Say there's 10,000 cards in that tub, it would cost you probably $100 to mail it to Washington and then $2,500 to add them to your account. So if you can't sell the box for $10 on craigslist, I'm not sure how you'd turn a profit with $2,600 invested...
I have never sold on COMC, and this is exactly the advice I was looking for. I wasn't sure if COMC would be best for this situation. Thank you.

As to others saying donate them, any other suggestions along with the Children's Hospital and Salvation Army?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 AM

D

Last edited by asoriano; 12-21-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 AM
Bob Donaldson

Will a children's hospital take a box of thousands of 1990 cards? Me ex-wife works at a pediatrician's office and she said they would have no interest.

In the past, I was able t o find a neighborhood boy and my cousin's son who both took large amounts of cards and was quite happy about it.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:55 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

E) recycle or throw away.
Larry
Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Chris

My brother bought a similar size lot for me on Craigslist. I felt like I got my money's worth just going through them and sent the non-HOFers off to the Salvation Army. They may end up tossing them but maybe someone will enjoy them.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 12-21-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have brought many big boxes of baseball cards to the Dallas Salvation Army and the kids love them. Please don't throw them away. I can almost guarantee your local Salvation Army has kids that would want them.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Over the summer, I was browsing Craigslist and came across a listing for a storage tub of baseball cards for $5 (and you got to keep the container!). I bought it, and took two evenings to go through them. Mostly junk wax from the late 80s/early 90s - some early 80s appeared, which was nice. Tons of Baseball, Football, and Basketball, with some hockey, too. Lots of HoFers, as well. I kept the baseball, but now have a thousand or so football/basketball/hockey cards. Condition varies, as they obviously weren't stored the best. I've relisted the cards I don't want on Craigslist for $10, but no takers.

I want them out of my room, but would also like to maybe get my $5 back to break even (really, I still win because of the container - it's pretty nice). What would you suggest?

Options...

A) Be patient and keep the listing active on Craigslist
B) Sell in lots of Football, Basketball, Hockey, Baseball Duplicates respectively
C) Send to COMC and list at very low prices
D) Donate to somewhere (or hold and pass out at Halloween next year in little packs)
E) Write In

Let me know your thoughts, please and thank you!
www.commons4kids.org appears to be a legitimate organization that donates commons to 40 charities. I have no affiliation with them and have not donated to them, but they appear to be legit.

Mailing address is posted here:

Commons4Kids
1065 Dan St.
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342

however, it is probably preferable to email Jerry - the owner of the site - and make the decision on if they are legit for yourself.

Z
Old 12-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
My brother bought a similar size lot for me on Craigslist. I felt like I got my money's worth just going through them and sent the non-HOFers off to the Salvation Army. They may end up tossing them but maybe someone will enjoy them.
Exactly. Would I love to get my $5 back in actual monetary form via resale? Sure. But did I get $5 in entertainment value out of them? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have brought many big boxes of baseball cards to the Dallas Salvation Army and the kids love them. Please don't throw them away. I can almost guarantee your local Salvation Army has kids that would want them.
I can promise you, and everyone else on this board, that I will NEVER throw away these or any other sports cards.

For me, I would prefer to donate them to specific kids that I know would enjoy them. Might contact the Wounded Warrior Project to see if they have any families with younger kids that like sports and would take the cards. Only issue there is delivery, as the nearest WWP office is in Pittsburgh which is 2 hours away.

Please keep any and all ideas coming, minus ideas that include disposing of the cardboard in the garbage/recycling bin.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

The first card show I took my grandson D to, he was looking at these packs of shiny cards that cost $5 each which I thought was an outrageous price. So I bought him a whole box of these mid 90s basketball cards that had college players on them, and the whole box was $2. He never even opened all the packs, they are still sitting in the corner of his room unopened. I don't think he recognized one player. What fun is that?
Last week I had grandson A and grandson D in the car with me, and we made a quick stop at my local card store so I could pick up supplies. Grandson D wanted basketball cards, so the card store manager showed him the latest products, and D chose a pack of new Donruss. Grandson A wanted Pokemon cards LOL, both packs cost $4 I think. Now they had fun with those!

Sometimes I see these hoards of '90s cards at garage sales, and I think to myself "dude you would have to pay me to haul this stuff away".

You want to get kids excited about cards? Give them some players they have heard of, not a pile of junk.

Larry
Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 AM
Rich Klein

We can always use more cards for our goodie bags for the Adat Chaverim non profit show I run 2x a year

And I can provide tax receipt sheets for all donors

Thanks!
Rich
Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Ben North

I agree with a few previous posters, no kids want your junk cards with players on then they never heard of. Hell most don't even want the new shiny cards unless they are free and Mike Trout limited edition or super shiny limited editions.

The last few years I have tried handing out free packages of cards to kids that got drug along to my produce stand with their parents/grandparents. I put 1 modern autograph, 1 modern patch card, 1 Kirby Puckett and then 7 random Twins(this is Twins country) players from the 60's to present to make 10 card packages.

I had several want them at first. Then because there was no big $ cards in them only a few wanted them after that. I even had a few kids complain to me that they could not sell them at school.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
The first card show I took my grandson D to, he was looking at these packs of shiny cards that cost $5 each which I thought was an outrageous price. So I bought him a whole box of these mid 90s basketball cards that had college players on them, and the whole box was $2. He never even opened all the packs, they are still sitting in the corner of his room unopened. I don't think he recognized one player. What fun is that?
Last week I had grandson A and grandson D in the car with me, and we made a quick stop at my local card store so I could pick up supplies. Grandson D wanted basketball cards, so the card store manager showed him the latest products, and D chose a pack of new Donruss. Grandson A wanted Pokemon cards LOL, both packs cost $4 I think. Now they had fun with those!

Sometimes I see these hoards of '90s cards at garage sales, and I think to myself "dude you would have to pay me to haul this stuff away".

You want to get kids excited about cards? Give them some players they have heard of, not a pile of junk.

Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I agree with a few previous posters, no kids want your junk cards with players on then they never heard of. Hell most don't even want the new shiny cards unless they are free and Mike Trout limited edition or super shiny limited editions.

The last few years I have tried handing out free packages of cards to kids that got drug along to my produce stand with their parents/grandparents. I put 1 modern autograph, 1 modern patch card, 1 Kirby Puckett and then 7 random Twins(this is Twins country) players from the 60's to present to make 10 card packages.

I had several want them at first. Then because there was no big $ cards in them only a few wanted them after that. I even had a few kids complain to me that they could not sell them at school.
I agree with what's been said, but keep in mind, not every kid is going to get all giddy that they received some BB cards.
Just like everything else, it is hard to please everyone and of course that's not possible but if I know there is at least the potential to put a smile on one kids face, it is certainly better than just throwing them in the trash.

Right now, I currently have a bunch of 92 Stadium Club cards in acrylic holders that I plan on donating soon to somewhere. My thinking is, it is something solid, protected and may give some the assumption that it is something special for a young, underprivileged child to hold?
Either way, if my thinking is offside, I know that I at least tried to do something to put at least one smile on a child's face.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM

I got a small pile of low grade 1973 Topps cards when I was a kid and I didn't know many of the players, but the cards made me want to learn about them. I think donating cards is good if you find the right people to give them to, which wouldn't be every kid. It might be better to group them into teams and then give kids cards from their favorite team.

I often wonder if it would be better for the hobby if you threw away a large pile of cards instead of giving it to a kid. Maybe you get a new collector for life into the hobby, but if people threw away large piles of junk cards, eventually they would be worth something and might bring back former collectors who still held on to them. At least with the former collectors, you know it's people who recognize the players and had a passion for the cards at one time.

Personally, I think the best idea is donating large groups to kids and if they don't like it, they will probably throw them out. If they do like them, then you have a new collector, which helps the hobby.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 12-22-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I got a small pile of low grade 1973 Topps cards when I was a kid and I didn't know many of the players, but the cards made me want to learn about them. I think donating cards is good if you find the right people to give them to, which wouldn't be every kid. It might be better to group them into teams and then give kids cards from their favorite team.

I often wonder if it would be better for the hobby if you threw away a large pile of cards instead of giving it to a kid. Maybe you get a new collector for life into the hobby, but if people threw away large piles of junk cards, eventually they would be worth something and might bring back former collectors who still held on to them. At least with the former collectors, you know it's people who recognize the players and had a passion for the cards at one time.

Personally, I think the best idea is donating large groups to kids and if they don't like it, they will probably throw them out. If they do, then you have a new collector, which helps the hobby.
Bingo.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 12-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Bingo.
I like the spray and pray approach too. All we can do is try and hopefully some of the young ones become interested. If not then there are that many less of the over-produced cards.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I tried my local Children's Hospital a while back and they weren't interested based on health concerns...the cards might have dust, germs, etc.

The other ideas sounded good. But the LAST thing I'd worry about is getting your $5 back!! We're talking five dollars here, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 12-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Rocky Rockwell

One other idea Ive used in the past ...... tossing a fistfull into each kids bag when they come to Trick or Treat in addition to candy. Ive had a bunch of kids come back with their friends for round #2 in the same night LOL!!! I usually have 3 boxes.... baseball, basketball, football and ask em which one they want if they seem to care. Either way, the cards get distributed and who knows if they are junked or treasured..... thats not up to me. By the way, I do think its a good idea to leave in some better cards, even superstars dont cost much in those years and just think how awesome some kid would feel with a Michael Jordan or Mike Trout card. Merry Christmas to all !!!!