NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Default Survey/help with proving/disproving E121 Series of 80 theory

Posted By: brian p

Heck on a stick it has been a long time since I last posted, but finally have the time to share something that may be of some interest. Almost a year ago I came across a scrapbook full of E121 American Caramels, which I just recently finished soaking from the pages. Of the 122 cards (the cards had each border trimmed down, and there was plenty of writing on the front of each card--information provided to soothe the condition conscious collectors out there who were just thinking "how did I miss out on such a great deal?"), eighty were from the Series of 80 set, and a surprising 31% of these ended up being the rarer variation (first line on back ending with 'pictures of eighty').

I previously owned 2 of these variation cards, so I currently possess 27. An interesting pattern became apparent--these 27 cards were of players from only six teams: the New York Giants, Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Browns, New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox, and Cleveland Indians.

The information that I am requesting is if people could reply with what teams they have for this relatively rare Series of 80 back variation. My (perhaps foolishly unfounded) theory is that only certain teams were issued with this back, perhaps this being a 'test' release issued only in certain markets (notice that I have both New York and Chicago teams). If so, I would imagine that cards of the St. Louis Cardinals would be out there, and perhaps at least one other team.

It would be interesting to discover what else is out there with this variation, specifically what teams people have with this variation, and don't fret--I am perfectly willing to have my theory explode into tiny bits. Either post your results here, or email them.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian

Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Todd

Brian,

I have a Washington Sam Rice that ends with "series of eighty"

Bill

Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jim

Have a "Rabbit" Maranville S.S. - Pittsburg Nationals that has the first line ending with the word eighty. Can send you a scan if you want.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader (ebay: sreader3)

I recently owned Aaron Ward of the Giants and George Sisler of the Browns with the "ends in eighty" back. I have seen a fair number of Giants and Yankees but few other teams with this back.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I have a Harry Heilman, Det, with that back.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator

So far looks like three more teams were added to the list: Washington, Detroit and Pittsburg. And what Scott mentioned about the availability of both New York Giants and Yankees rings true, at least for my collection: 10 of the 27 'ends in eighty' backs I have are Giants, and I also have 7 of the Yankees.

Here is a breakdown of what teams I have:

NY Giants-- 10
NY Yankees-- 7
St. Louis Browns-- 3
Cleveland Indians-- 3
Chicago Cubs-- 2
Chicago White Sox-- 2

Keep the submissions coming--the more the merrier. Perhaps we will end up with all teams being represented, but discover that some teams are a lot more prevalent than others. I will try to occasionally post results.

Brian

Old 08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Brian, try looking up players from different teams on this website: http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/hofers.html>
For example, it appears Harry Heilmann is in Series of 80 (first line ends in "eighty"), so you can add Tigers to your list of teams.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that it is not all Series of 80 cards that I am interested in collecting information, but only those that have the relatively scarce back variation that has the first line of print ending in 'eighty'. I think all the eighties/80's can cause a little confusion.

Brian

Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

My Heilman is definately the tough back.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Just thought I would give this another shot--not an overwhelming response to my inquiry so far, but understandably this is a rather esoteric survey on a set that does not have as strong a collector base here as compared to the various 1910 sets.

This is what I have gathered so far on cards with the variation back that has the first line of print ending with 'eighty':

New York Giants--11
New York Yankees--7
St.Louis Browns--4
Cleveland Indians--3
Chicago Cubs--2
Chicago White Sox--2
Detroit Tigers--1
Pittsburgh Pirates--1
Washington Senators--1

If any of you have E121 series of 80 cards with this back variation, I would appreciate if you could let us know what teams you have, either here or by emailing me. Thanks again,

Brian

Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Hi Brian,

Good to see you posting again! The only one I have in this variation is the E.C. Rice as well--

Best,
Tim

Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Thought I'd add my 2 cents in here... I collect e121 Yankees. I currently have 10 of them... while most of them are from the 120 series... a couple are from the series of 80.. both do not end with "eighty."

The cards are of Ping Bodie and Carl Mays. The Mays is the spelling error variaton, his last name spelled "May."

I know it's not much, but this is an extremely tough series to find information on and I think the limited response tells you how few of these cards are out there.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot

I have (ending with eighty) 1-New York, 1-Brooklyn and 1-Cincinnati(only Cinci.I've seen).

I've had others but, can't remember which ones now. I have collected 1920's sets for three decades. They are tough. In the E121 set, I always had trouble finding cards with the print on back running in the opposite direction. I only have one of these.