NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Ellam question

T206 Ellam is pictured in a Nashville uniform. He played for Birmingham from 1909-1915. He joined Nashville in 1916. Did they sign him in 1916 because he already had a card?

Are there other examples of T206ers, who are in uniforms for teams they did not play for or manage during 1908-1911? Just wondering.........
Old 12-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Frank Wakefield

Seems to be a mistake. An enigma. No way American Litho 'knew' Ellam would eventually be with Nashville. I remember looking at his stats in old Spalding Records, and wondering what was going on with that. It is surprising. One of many in that white border set.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:33 PM

People always say T206s were ahead of their time.

Actually, they don't say that, but for this post let's pretend they do.

Maybe it was really bad spelling.

Last edited by drc; 12-26-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Tim

Frank - When the team caption was added to the Ellam card they simply made a mistake. If you look at the southern league players that were selected to be in the set, each team from the Southern Association and Virginia State League had at least two representatives. This is how the distribution for the Southern Association would have been had Ellam been correctly identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Are there other examples of T206ers, who are in uniforms for teams they did not play for or manage during 1908-1911? Just wondering.........
Foley White
Another player in the set that some have thought was an error is Foley White. White's team designation is Houston but his statistical information for 1909 is for Waco.

After the 1908 season White signed with Houston. In early 1909 he reported to the team and participated in their preseason. This included catching the last game for Houston, the day before the Texas League opener. During the first weeks of the Texas League season White never played for Houston. By the end of May he would be released and joined the Waco team.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 12-27-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Frank Wakefield

Nice graphic, Tim.

Who was it that first posted here on Net54 about Foley White?

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 12-27-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Who was it that first posted here on Net54 about Foley White?
Frank - I couldn't answer that. I do know you began a thread sometime ago regarding the White card. After doing research on the southern league players, that included reading every days paper from February to June tracking White, I emailed you filling you in on what I found as I wasn't aware you had ever had your question answered. I never received a response. If someone knew about Foley White and why his team designation was Houston and not Waco, I wasn't aware, but I don't see why that is relevant to this thread. Why would what I posted require a qualifier about who talked about the White card on 54 first? Your bullying me while I try and participate in this forum in a positive way is uncalled for and childish.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 12-27-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Another possibility

If the identification of Ellam with Nashville was just a mistake, consider this.
There was a fellow named Kellum who did play for Nashville in the 1909-11 era.
I suppose it could have been a misidentification of the player or a misidentification of the team.
I'd like to see pictures of both players Kellum and Ellam
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Frank Wakefield

Tim, thank you, Sir. I appreciate it when I'm called childish. I apologize for taking your time with that when I know you're wanting to add pages to websites and such.

As for Kellum / Ellam, I think folks have been satisfied that the image on the Ellam, Nashville card really was Ellam.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Ellam pic

Baseball reference thumbnails of Kellum and Ellam attached.
Kellum looks like a photo. Ellam looks like an image taken from his card.
Are there other Ellam photos out there??

Thanks to all for their input.

Frank B

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Ellam Pic

Asked and answered.

Same pose, but not a Nashville uniform.

So much for the Kellum theory.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
JeR@Me

Default Ellam :

Hi Frank,

This mini should help answer your question :

Happy Holidays,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TeamIssue-PalmerStudio-Ellam.jpg (33.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Thanks Jeremy
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Sometimes I think people on here must have me blocked or just skip past my threads/posts.

I just reposted my Ellam thread from 5 years ago yesterday.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=connellsville
Old 12-27-2011, 12:39 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Tim how dare you share info without checking with Frank Wakefield! After all since he may have posted on this on net54 a few years ago I’m sure because of that he was the first person to ever notice this.

I also heard Frank was the first person to post on the moon landing on a space and NASA net54 therefore making him the first person to land on the moon. Now if that jerk Armstrong would stop stealing his thunder and those jerks at NASA would add his name to the list we could move on already.

Hey Tim have you added the names Franks wants yet? I really want to start using the site soon please add them…..

Cheers,

John
Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Eric Shaeffer

I was hoping this would lead to some funny PSing, its been too long! Love it John!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

Wear me out, Tim and John... and this is the thread where you should do it. Tim doesn't want to post in an ungentlemanly manner in the 'resource' thread.

And to be sure I understand you, John, it's your perception that I'm crying and whining that annoys you... you don't actually think I'm wrong about the need for acknowledgements, but just that I keep going on and on about it, right?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Tim

Quote:
Tim doesn't want to post in an ungentlemanly manner in the 'resource' thread.
Frank - I don't change my tone or how I post based on the thread that post in, or the person I'm posting too. Nothing about what I posted prior in this thread was ungentlemanly. You are a bully and you were acting childish. I think I put that very courteously in respect to your intentions to goad me. That won't happen, nor will you have any other influence over anything I do. I'd prefer we all just post about the topics at hand. This was a good thread.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Frank Wakefield

Well I did influence you to post again...

So how's that acknowledgement thread coming along?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Well I did influence you to post again...

So how's that acknowledgement thread coming along?
It was a good thread. Curse you, Frank.

John - you have too much time on your hands. Please don't tell me you have created an entire comic book. If so, can I be the Joe Weider advertisement?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Frank Wakefield

Tim, you've called me a bully and said I was acting childish in your post #17. Please would you specify which post and how I was doing either, then distinguish that conduct from John's post #14? Thank you. And also, while at it, your point would be that I'm a bully and I was acting childish; you don't take exception to the concept that the 'resource' site should have acknowledgements, right? You guys continually seem to dance away from that and malign me and my posts, but not the idea behind them. And please do all of this with your own free will, and not from any influence from me.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
And to be sure I understand you, John, it's your perception that I'm crying and whining that annoys you... you don't actually think I'm wrong about the need for acknowledgements, but just that I keep going on and on about it, right?
No Frank I'm not 100% in agreement with your thoughts on adding certain names made that clear many posts ago. I don’t care if you think names need to be added that’s your right but you have also voiced that many posts ago as well.

At this point you and others here are like a broken record asking the same thing over and over it's clear for whatever reasons the owners have taken a position in stark contrast to your views so let it go already.

It’s now looking like just a few little boys throwing a tantrum in cyberspace with sour grape juice center of the pity party.

That’s all I’m saying and I think I have been pretty clear the whole time.

John
Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
No Frank I'm not 100% in agreement with your thoughts on adding certain names made that clear many posts ago. I don’t care if you think names need to be added that’s your right but you have also voiced that many posts ago as well.

At this point you and others here are like a broken record asking the same thing over and over it's clear for whatever reasons the owners have taken a position in stark contrast to your views so let it go already.

It’s now looking like just a few little boys throwing a tantrum in cyberspace with sour grape juice center of the pity party.

That’s all I’m saying and I think I have been pretty clear the whole time.

John
Thanks for putting your name out here John!!