NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Default jed drinkwine

I have bought and sold to jed over the last few years, I have found that he will pay more than most , and has a knowledge beyound his years, I hate to see him get bashed on this web site, i have been told before by people on this website that it is rude to ask for a back scan, and why would you offer $300 for a $900 buy it now,most people would be offended by that, much less these offers of $1, to me that is kind of bad in itself
Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Andy Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
I don't know anything about Jed Drinkwine (or Jed Drinkwater for that matter), he may be lacking in the social skills department. But I can definitely tell you to avoid sending lowball offers to Jed Drinkpiss....he gets downright hostile!!!
Killin me, Doc. Awesome!

Best,

Andy
Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Bill Hedin

Default some dealers.......

I do not know this person and this comment is not about him but it's a general theory I've had for over 40 years:
Don't buy from an a--hole because the card will have the stench for eternity.

And during my years promoting shows I always "reserved the right to refuse tables to anyone for any reason", basically the type of dealer in the last sentence.

I like my cards to have nice stories about how I got them and the nice people who I did the transaction with. Call me silly, but that's the way I like it!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
I have bought and sold to jed over the last few years, I have found that he will pay more than most , and has a knowledge beyound his years, I hate to see him get bashed on this web site, i have been told before by people on this website that it is rude to ask for a back scan, and why would you offer $300 for a $900 buy it now,most people would be offended by that, much less these offers of $1, to me that is kind of bad in itself
I think he said that he offered $300 less than the BIN of $900. So we're actually looking at a offer of $600. Nothing wrong with that..

Anyways, I kinda agree with you a little. While the seller's attitude is kinda rough around the edges, we really shouldn't be tearing into him the way that we are. While sharing true experiences with this seller is fine, CREATING new out of the norm experiences just to see how far the guy will go in his response is a little too much. I will admit that I've kind of enjoyed some of the responses so far though..

BTW, if you're spending your money on a card, it's NEVER rude to ask for a back scan.. The guy knows people ask for them, and is obviously annoyed by people asking for them. What should his solution be? Huh, how about providing one in the first place, so that people won't ask you for one? It's sure a better option than tearing into people for doing what you knew they were going to do all along. Also, I've never once read a seller's ME page, and I'm sure I'm not alone, so any disclaimer posted there is virtually worthless.

Last edited by novakjr; 06-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Jeff Gross

Provide a back scan! Problem solved! What is it? An extra .10 cents? The seller brings it on himself by not providing a back scan....escpecially on a somewhat expensive card.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Offer

Offer was $50 with a buy it now of $150. I have done business with both guys and will again.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Bill is 100% dead on with his comment which is why he is known as one of the great guys in the hobby. I would add simply that I make it a practice not to do business with jerks. I may miss a few buying opportunities but I have never regretted sticking to that rule. Further, I would never say something in an email that I would not say in person. Suffice it to say that a guy who insults my mother to my face should be prepared to lose a few teeth. For his sake, I hope Jed learns this lesson soon or that he has a dentist in the family.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Rich Klein

Default In our next trade

And THERE WILL be a next trade and hopefully many more after that == please include a signed copy of that baseball card you posted --- I do collecto Dealer Signed (or Collector) Signed cards like that. Call me strange

Rich
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Isaac Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Do it!

Then, ask for a side scan.

After that, ask for a corner scan.

Finally, ask that he take a picture of himself holding the card in a pose you specify, just so you know he actually owns the card.
Lulz.

You cracked me up with this!

Poor Jed, having to answer all these questions from folks wanting to buy some cards from him. Feel so bad for him. So bad.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Jeddrinkwine and Anthony Weiner need to trade each other as far as how they operate.

Jed needs to be more open, friendly and hospitable, as far as answering questions and posting pictures of the items he is wanting to sell and Anthony needs to not be so open about talking to people and sending pictures over Twitter and Facebook.

If each had only done what the other acutally did then each would be better off for it and the public wouldn't have known about either persons bad judgement.

David
Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Don't buy from an a--hole because the card will have the stench for eternity.
Right on, Bill. I can remember so many of the positive experiences I had...when and where I bought something and from who...that I don't want that negativity in my collection.

This conversation seems silly to me. There are only two reasons not to provide a complete picture of the card both front and back...laziness or you're hiding something. Given the volume of listings he has, it's not laziness.

And the point was made earlier that the seller has the right to charge whatever he wants as a BIN. By the same token, the buyer has the right to offer whatever he wants. These things aren't fixed retail prices...negotiating is part of this hobby.

As for eBay fees being the reason...totally and completely irrelevant. I heard this same argument from a dealer at the National a few years ago. Told me he had to charge over value to make up for the cost of his table. As if his cost of doing business somehow inherently made the cards more valuable. Guess how much he sold to me? $0. And it was clear from the time I spent at his table that other collectors felt the same way.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can't be a seller for long with no buyers.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Bill Hedin

Default You guys made me smile!

I'm glad to read your responses to my post! Our group here is very special and I am happy to be a part of Net54.

Rich, I'm going to find a couple of my different cards that Jim Bouton's company made for me way back to send you and yes, I'll sign them! The rarest collector/dealer cards were a set put out by an early hobby paper long ago featuring our good friend Bob Thing from Maine. If you can locate the set I'm sure you'll find other hobby pioneers as I recall having a Charlie Brooks card when he was doing the Sport Hobbyist. As for Bob Thing, i called him after the nice SCD article on him and told him he needs to sign my copy!

In case any of you did not see it in SCD, you can also view it on-line on George Verechek's old cardboard site. I googled Bob Thing Article and it came up!
On this subject, I really must say how much I have enjoyed George's articles on hobby figures from Lionel Carter to this recent one. He's doing us a great service by providing a documentation of the pioneers of our hobby just like our leader Leon's doing with his posting of the Bulletins from the 40's! I'm constantly reading old SCD, trader Speaks, etc..,
Thank you my friends,
Bill Hedin
PS: My nomination for the next hobby icon article's our pal Bill Zimpleman.
He's a class act if there ever was one. Knowledgible, friendly, and a person who simply makes you feel what a wonderful hobby we are involved with.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Rich Klein

Default As I've gotten to know Bill Z better

We have a great time at every National talking about --- OLD Rock and Roll Music -- after all who cares about these funny pictures featuring men when we can discuss the great PBS shows on older music that BIll was lucky enough to be in the audience for.....

He has made me some air check tapes in the past and at one show, we were talking about music when I metioned that so and so dealer from Colorado (whom Bill had known for years) was a host of an weekly oldies show.

The next day, Bill told me that he went over there and chatted about music for a couple of hours and arranged to get some music for said dealer to play on his radio show.

Those are some of my favorite memories of Bill Z

Rich
Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Rich, you are so right about Bill Z!

Rich,
I really enjoyed your post! When I met Bill for the first time at a show outside Cincinnati we talked music over a few drinks. He's the true expert! I mentioned that I was looking for a soundtrack of The Falcon and the Snowman to Bill. A week later he sent it to me at no charge.

On cards, he was the first and biggest type card collector I ever met. We definitely need to nominate him for George's next article!

Have a great weekend, Rich. I start opening Topps series 2 on Monday so I'll have cards to send you in a week!

Your Friend,
Bill Hedin
Those are some of my favorite memories of Bill Z

Rich[/QUOTE]
Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsuttonosu View Post
Right on, Bill. I can remember so many of the positive experiences I had...when and where I bought something and from who...that I don't want that negativity in my collection.

This conversation seems silly to me. There are only two reasons not to provide a complete picture of the card both front and back...laziness or you're hiding something. Given the volume of listings he has, it's not laziness.

And the point was made earlier that the seller has the right to charge whatever he wants as a BIN. By the same token, the buyer has the right to offer whatever he wants. These things aren't fixed retail prices...negotiating is part of this hobby.

As for eBay fees being the reason...totally and completely irrelevant. I heard this same argument from a dealer at the National a few years ago. Told me he had to charge over value to make up for the cost of his table. As if his cost of doing business somehow inherently made the cards more valuable. Guess how much he sold to me? $0. And it was clear from the time I spent at his table that other collectors felt the same way.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can't be a seller for long with no buyers.
You could not be more wrong. Most collectors do not ask for back scans so why wast time making back scans of every card listed. If asked then post a back scan to the item. Negotiating is part of the hobby but there is a limit. If I see something for a good price I buy it. I do not try and chisel the dealer. Some buyers can be very uncouth and make themselves look cheap.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Al

Default Dealers can read.

When a buyer starts citing smr, beckett, and the other one it turns me off to negotiating. Dealers can read and if they wanted to check this out they could. Not every 5, 6, 7, or 8 looks the same and collectors are willing to pay a premium for nice card in a holder.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
Because some collectors have no dignity.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Daryl

Wow. Welcome to the board.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Next time orrules, I suggest you don't bring a thread back from the dead in a negative manner.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrrules View Post
Because some collectors have no dignity.
You will also need to post your name if you want to be so opinionated. Pretty sure thats the rule here.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Jed

+1
Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
You will also need to post your name if you want to be so opinionated. Pretty sure thats the rule here.
Correct.

Unless he is well known on the board (and he isn't) he will need to put his name in his post, as I emailed him right after he posted...Either that or edit the comments out....regards
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM

On my experiences on ebay, back scans were pretty common to me on valuable cards, whether the card was graded or not.
If the dealer is a jerk then move on.
There's not a thing he's selling that you can't get from
someone else. Over time he'll learn or be out of business and frustrated.

A few dealers I've met over the years are very arrogant.
Never ceases to amaze me when I see a dealer that acts like
his creased VG- minus 1972 Topps cards are made of gold
and then they wonder why the dealer next to him has so many repeat customers
while he struggles just to make dealer fee sales.
Customer service is not a mystery.

Robert
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 AM

The only time I ever post the back as part of my listing is when there is a back variation (ie. t206) or if a possible bidder asks for one. If I get nasty about it I've lost a bidder forever.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Graded or not, I pass when there is no back scan or description. It's easy to form a single image comprised of both front and back scans, so additional fees isn't a factor.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

you can also host them somewhere other than Ebay and insert the proper code into the listing. No fees for that.

Steve B
Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Next time orrules, I suggest you don't bring a thread back from the dead in a negative manner.
I don't think this is Jed Drinkwine...according to ebay that guy is in South Carolina...the IP address on Orrrules is Denver, CO.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
Graded or not, I pass when there is no back scan or description. It's easy to form a single image comprised of both front and back scans, so additional fees isn't a factor.

I never ask for a back scan. i buy large lots in auction houses and you only view a few cards and back scans are rare. I trust the grading company and auction house or I would not buy.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Al

Default Brendan must not hav e read the whole post.

I was responding to other negative comments left by other people. I guess you ignore those posts. Jed Drinkwine will be in booth 703 at the national. Why don't you go there and say some of the stuff you are saying on these message boards.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Robert Williams

Will Jedddrinkwine be willing to say in person that "he made someone's mother walk funny", like he was so quick to do over an email exchange!?!?!?! He acts like that to the wrong person, and someone is going to knock him on his butt!
Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Correct.

Unless he is well known on the board (and he isn't) he will need to put his name in his post, as I emailed him right after he posted...Either that or edit the comments out....regards
Never got an email. My name is now posted.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I was responding to other negative comments left by other people. I guess you ignore those posts. Jed Drinkwine will be in booth 703 at the national. Why don't you go there and say some of the stuff you are saying on these message boards.
Yes, I hear you were. I actually did read the whole post. At least in my opinion, when a thread is dead, better to keep it that way, especially when it's your first post.

I do have to agree with youon something....Orr does rule.

Last edited by Brendan; 07-08-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Will Jedddrinkwine be willing to say in person that "he made someone's mother walk funny", like he was so quick to do over an email exchange!?!?!?! He acts like that to the wrong person, and someone is going to knock him on his butt!
You know where he will be. Why don't you ask him yourself.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Robert Williams

[QUOTE][You know where he will be. Why don't you ask him yourself.
/QUOTE]

I ain't asking him anything....I am not the one talking smack about people's mothers. But if he says something to me about MY mother, then his ass is hitting asphlat. Plain and simple.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default really?

[QUOTE=bobbyw8469;907292]
Quote:
[You know where he will be. Why don't you ask him yourself.
/QUOTE]

I ain't asking him anything....I am not the one talking smack about people's mothers. But if he says something to me about MY mother, then his ass is hitting asphlat. Plain and simple.
C'mon, is that necessary? Take it to private emails or PM's please. thanks...
Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Robert Williams

Sorry Leon....I get kinda worked up when I see people acting derogatory towards other people....and especially when they DEFEND that sort of behavior. Junior High ended for me years ago.....
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I hear ya'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Sorry Leon....I get kinda worked up when I see people acting derogatory towards other people....and especially when they DEFEND that sort of behavior. Junior High ended for me years ago.....
I hear ya', but lets just be cool on the board. This is baseball cards. It's our hobby. Remember, it's supposed to be pleasant and relaxing .
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Al

Quote:
Yes, I hear you were. I actually did read the whole post. At least in my opinion, when a thread is dead, better to keep it that way, especially when it's your first post.

I do have to agree with youon something....Orr does rule.
I got news for you. It is not dead when I get calls from customers who buy from Jed as well telling me what is going on net54 message boards. This will be national #8 for me. I know all the big people in the hobby personally and would never get on a cheerleading board and rip apart anyone no matter what. If I have a problem with the way a dealer grades, treats me, or his prices I do not buy from them but keep it to myself. I have had people make me offers on cards on EBAY and I politely say no thank you. I have had people tell me you will never sell the card. To me that is Kharma because most of the time it is sold shortly there after. I have had collectors and dealers alike that have gotten downright rude and classless because I will not sell a card for the price they want to pay. I could not tell you who they are because I am past it already.

I am putting a psa 8 71 topps set together and I have yet to lowball anyone for a card and will pay what it takes to get the the tough ones. If any of the people on here are setting up at the national please bring any 71's you have in 8's as I will be walking the room on tuesday and wednesday and will be looking for about 50 of them. If you are a collector bring any you have from #7 to 100 to booth 703. I may need some of them.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I got news for you. It is not dead when I get calls from customers who buy from Jed as well telling me what is going on net54 message boards. This will be national #8 for me. I know all the big people in the hobby personally and would never get on a cheerleading board and rip apart anyone no matter what. If I have a problem with the way a dealer grades, treats me, or his prices I do not buy from them but keep it to myself. I have had people make me offers on cards on EBAY and I politely say no thank you. I have had people tell me you will never sell the card. To me that is Kharma because most of the time it is sold shortly there after. I have had collectors and dealers alike that have gotten downright rude and classless because I will not sell a card for the price they want to pay. I could not tell you who they are because I am past it already.

I am putting a psa 8 71 topps set together and I have yet to lowball anyone for a card and will pay what it takes to get the the tough ones. If any of the people on here are setting up at the national please bring any 71's you have in 8's as I will be walking the room on tuesday and wednesday and will be looking for about 50 of them. If you are a collector bring any you have from #7 to 100 to booth 703. I may need some of them.
When it's your first post on this board, I have to disagree. For all I knew, you could be "get on a cheerleading board and rip apart anyone." You see, I do not have the power to know who is posting when I do not see his name.

I do not see how your post reinforces anything you have said. I'm happy that you know all the big people in the hobby and karma seems to work well with you. But when no one has any clue who you are, except Leon, why should you expect any different?

This is a pointless argument. Saying that I did not read an entire post is not going to help it. If there's an argument, it should be about jeddrinkwine. Not board etiquette.

Last edited by Brendan; 07-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Al

Quote:
When it's your first post on this board, I have to disagree. For all I knew, you could be "get on a cheerleading board and rip apart anyone." You see, I do not have the power to know who is posting when I do not see his name.

I do not see how your post reinforces anything you have said. I'm happy that you know all the big people in the hobby and karma seems to work well with you. But when no one has any clue who you are, except Leon, why should you expect any different?
It reinforces a lot. Sorry you cannot see it. I most likely do not know these collectors so if they do want to meet me I will be set up at the national in booth 703.

As far as ripping on anyone please let me know who it was. If disagreeing is ripping on someone than I have.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Dave

so are you Jed, or sharing a booth-I sent some ebay messages about 205s and never get responses, and no they arent to see the backs
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
It reinforces a lot. Sorry you cannot see it. I most likely do not know these collectors so if they do want to meet me I will be set up at the national in booth 703.

As far as ripping on anyone please let me know who it was. If disagreeing is ripping on someone than I have.
I said for all I knew you could be doing that. I wish you would read my entire post and you'd understand that when I made that post no one knew who you were.

We can disagree. But these little hints of insults to eachother make us both look like fools. Can we just stop this silly argument?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
so are you Jed, or sharing a booth-I sent some ebay messages about 205s and never get responses, and no they arent to see the backs
We are sharing a booth. I am not Jed. I have only a few t205's. I only bring graded cards to the national. Stop by booth 703 and check it out. if you want you can email me with a list to aburt46370@aol.com. Thank you for your inquiry.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Al

Quote:
I said for all I knew you could be doing that. I wish you would read my entire post and you'd understand that when I made that post no one knew who you were.

We can disagree. But these little hints of insults to eachother make us both look like fools. Can we just stop this silly argument?
Nuff said. From what I have been reading on these posts I thought it was about insults. That is not directed at you but other posts.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Nuff said. From what I have been reading on these posts I thought it was about insults. That is not directed at you but other posts.
Good. I mean things such as "Sorry you cannot see that" I would assume is viewed as a 'backdoor' insult. Didn't know you worked with Jeddrinkwine. I can understand your posting here because of that.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM
John V.

Is it me or does seller JEDDRINKWINE use seller id 2***r with 35 feedback to create 'hidden' reserves... Excellent strategy my friend !!! I was intently watching the Carrigan W-UNC 1910 card because he appeared to have sold to a 'bogus' bidder back in Nov 2010, and it remained in his possession. I felt the auction starting at 99 cent this time wasn't going to go down totally legit.. and surprisingly enough this interesting bidder 2***R kept all his sell prices I guess where he wanted them. It's a free country !! Perhaps I'm off base, doubt it, HIGHLY ! JOHN VAN DINTER
Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Very sleazy seller.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Eric Bea.chley

If they had to pay their 10% Ebay fees this wouldn't happen.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Jason Stricker

Default In the minority...

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've had pleasant transactions with Jeddrinkwine. Most recently in August, I made an offer on two cards and was willing to complete the transaction off of eBay via PayPal. He agreed to my offer and the transaction took place through PayPal. I have no complaints since I haven't experienced the strange responses and banning threats.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Has he changed his ebay name?

There is now a seller called jedsclassictreasures559. Didn't think Jed was that common of a name.... Jed Drinkwine .... Jed Clampett ...